PDA

View Full Version : Curious idea on my wheels.... need help

littled22
04-24-2014, 04:55 PM
So i am first time owner of a jeep wrangler. But i wanna start to do some minor/bigger installs on it. So my issue right now is that i got myself a Sahara. I really like the aluminum rims but i want a more meatier tire. Cause i also wanna do a 2. inch lift. so is it feasible or even a good idea to do the tire change and keep the rims for now or not at all? thanks in advance for your help

JeepLab
04-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Give us a pic!

your going to want to upgrade the wheels when you upgrade the tires. Especially if you have 18s. Not that your wheels arent nice, Its a back space issue. You need to push the tires out a little to keep from rubbing.

how big a tire do you want to cram in there?

WhiteRavenRR
04-24-2014, 11:18 PM
You can always run a set of wheel spacers to push your factory rims outward in the meantime until you decide to purchase new wheels. Keep in mind that 18" rims won't really give you a whole lot of sidewall.

Also some tire companies won't touch your tire/ wheel combo with spacers installed. If you have to get a flat fixed it would be best to remove the tire for them to fix it. Call your local tire shops beforehand to confirm their protocols regarding spacers.

I would recommend a higher end spacer from a reputable manufacture for a good quality set. Don't skimp for cheap ones.

JeepLab
04-25-2014, 09:49 AM
I would recommend a higher end spacer from a reputable manufacture for a good quality set. Don't skimp for cheap ones.

Agreed. Some will say spacers are dangerous. The x-factor here is that the stock wheels are 18s. Big tires for 18s will be expensive. If you look at the difference in tire price for 18s vs 17s you'll find a big chunk of the budget required to buy new 17inch wheels. (with correct backspace so you won't need spacers.)

littled22
04-26-2014, 09:02 AM
So I was thinking of either putting on 35 or 37 size tires. I kow if I do 37's I need to change my fenders to flat ones. As well as put a lift on it. So maybe the smart move is to do the lift first. Then work on the tired and rims after. Granted I still like the way these rims look but maybe I will find ones that are similar. thanks for all the help. 703

WhiteRavenRR
04-26-2014, 10:54 AM
So I was thinking of either putting on 35 or 37 size tires. I kow if I do 37's I need to change my fenders to flat ones. As well as put a lift on it. So maybe the smart move is to do the lift first. Then work on the tired and rims after. Granted I still like the way these rims look but maybe I will find ones that are similar. thanks for all the help. 703

Be careful running 37s on a stock Dana 30 axle. Your asking for trouble at some point. Something is going to give. You may want to research that a bit more.

My understanding is you don't want to go over a 35 with a Dana 30. Inner Cs and bent axle tubes are among some problems. Anyone else with input?

JeepLab
04-26-2014, 09:07 PM
My understanding is you don't want to go over a 35 with a Dana 30. Inner Cs and bent axle tubes are among some problems. Anyone else with input?

I say run the 30 with an artec axle armor kit for 250 and you can forget about it. They artec guys put 37s on D30s and then jump them off dunes. I have yet to see one fail.

JT of Nemesis Industries, is one of the hardest wheelers I know, and he runs a D30.

WhiteRavenRR
04-27-2014, 06:34 AM
I agree. I have been looking at the Artec Truss for mine. Wheel it till it breaks, then you have to replace it with no remorse!