PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Upgrades...Who's Done What?

JeepLab
04-25-2014, 09:25 PM
Not much of an article here...LOL

I'm just beginning to look into headlight upgrades. I dont want to spend 700 bucks on JW speaker or that kind of price range.

Im looking for an HID kit maybe?

anyone done this already?

UselessPickles
04-25-2014, 11:14 PM
I cleaned the mud off my headlights, and that seemed to improve brightness a bit. A lot cheaper than $700.

littled22
04-26-2014, 09:09 AM
I have been doing the samething. Only issue I realized is that if you have fog lights... you are going to need to change them as well. HID or even Xenon light kits will make your headlights brighter than you fogs.
Also there are people who make conversion kits. Prety much just a bolt on system to your original headlight system. Last I heard from a friend they are about 250 a pair. Same guy was able to do fog light conversion as well.

JeepLab
04-26-2014, 08:54 PM
These guys seem to have a good solution,

one kit is 199, the other is 79.

I was thinking of doing the 199 for the headlights, and 79s for the fogs.

http://www.carhidkits.com/50w-resistor-plug-play-pack-378.html

Anotheruserid
04-27-2014, 04:19 PM
At least five people I know with JK's went with an HID upgrade kit. 18 months later we have all ripped them out in favour of a true LED headlight. Of all the kits, mine lasted the longest, but eventually they all failed. They were all $200+ kits. The others all went with the second generation trucklites as replacements, but I had KC's new led offering shipped out to me. A brief Internet search lead me to believe that guys who had first hand experience with both brands were leaning towards the KC's so I thought I'd give them a whirl.

The Hid's seem like a cost effective band aid type solution...great idea if you want better light right now, but would rather differ the larger cost of LEDs until next year or so when they fail.

JeepLab
04-27-2014, 04:50 PM
At least five people I know with JK's went with an HID upgrade kit. 18 months later we have all ripped them out in favour of a true LED headlight. Of all the kits, mine lasted the longest, but eventually they all failed. They were all $200+ kits. The others all went with the second generation trucklites as replacements, but I had KC's new led offering shipped out to me. A brief Internet search lead me to believe that guys who had first hand experience with both brands were leaning towards the KC's so I thought I'd give them a whirl.

The Hid's seem like a cost effective band aid type solution...great idea if you want better light right now, but would rather differ the larger cost of LEDs until next year or so when they fail.

Show us a pic of the KCs!

DHewes
04-27-2014, 09:20 PM
I know you didn't want to go with them, but I ordered the JW Speaker kit (headlight and foglights). I have a meter and will take some measurements of stock and the JW's at 12" and 25' once they come in and I get some free time.

JeepLab
04-27-2014, 09:26 PM
I know you didn't want to go with them, but I ordered the JW Speaker kit (headlight and foglights). I have a meter and will take some measurements of stock and the JW's at 12" and 25' once they come in and I get some free time.

Thats excellent. Maybe we can get Anotheruserid to do the same with the KCs.

Lets get a standardized test going.

Anotheruserid
04-28-2014, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I'll try to get something up but no longer have anything to compare them too. The Hid's I had melted their harness and created a short. I have no power to anything until I hardwire the new lights, effectively bypassing the stock H13 connector.

I get the spirit of a test but I don't need a meter to tell me that $800+ JBL's outperform stock jk lights; or they sure as fuck better. And then there's the economics of it- my bank account meter tells me it doesn't matter how the JBL'S perform. That said, there is really only a couple others on the market. They have similar ish designs and price point so it's likely a coin toss. Yes ish is a word. Or it should be.

JeepLab
04-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Im gonna get in on the headlight slugfest... Truck-Lites. Now. How are we going to standardize a test with the 3 of us being in different locations?

Anotheruserid
04-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Tough to do.

-make sure you get the antiflicker harness with the TL's

JeepLab
04-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Tough to do.

-make sure you get the antiflicker harness with the TL's

Ive learned all about flicker. Im writing an article about it now.

If each of us measure 50 ft from a wall in darkness, and take a pic from the driver's seat, it will be pretty standard.

ljvsnyder
04-30-2014, 11:27 AM
I just purchased a set of Raxiom H13 LED replacement bulbs from Extreme just waiting for them to arrive. They install in the stock housing and plug into the stock wiring via a relay. The price was reasonable, could have gotten them cheaper on Ebay, but you don't always know what you are all getting from China. I will post some pictures and review when I get them here.

Gunner
04-30-2014, 01:48 PM
My buddy just installed the Trucklite's on his 2010 JKU. They are so much brighter with a nice cutoff on low beams. They do have the X artifact but you get use to it in no time. On bright they flat out blow the stockers away. When he turns on all 4 of his Rigid Duallys and his Highs I doubt he would need a light bar.

JeepLab
04-30-2014, 05:30 PM
My buddy just installed the Trucklite's on his 2010 JKU. They are so much brighter with a nice cutoff on low beams. They do have the X artifact but you get use to it in no time. On bright they flat out blow the stockers away. When he turns on all 4 of his Rigid Duallys and his Highs I doubt he would need a light bar.

Im Excited to get them intstalled.

I just opened the box.

WhiteRavenRR
05-03-2014, 09:12 AM

Really excited to hear your take on these lights. I've been looking at these too but it will be some time before I can make the purchase since I've just spent money on the lift and shocks as well as the Trektop NX.

JeepLab
05-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Put it on the calendar... Trucklite install and review this weekend

Pznivy
05-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Im interested in this also. Lets really get some good pics so I can make sure I buy the right set up. Speakers are nice, but soooo expensive. Trucklites are tricky to mount the fogs, and I know nothing about KCs.

WhiteRavenRR
05-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Luckily I don't have to worry about the fogs since I run a Poison Spyder BFH front bumper. I was very reluctant to give up the fogs but I did and now it moves the headlight upgrade that much more up the list.

Rexx19
05-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Luckily I don't have to worry about the fogs since I run a Poison Spyder BFH front bumper. I was very reluctant to give up the fogs but I did and now it moves the headlight upgrade that much more up the list.

I wanted to go with the bfh, but the stock headlights really needed the fogs. Poison spider should have a way to mount the fogs on the bumper... if not in it. The JK really does need the light.

ljvsnyder
05-12-2014, 03:18 PM
These arrived today. I hope to get them installed this week, if the rain stays away.743744

WhiteRavenRR
05-12-2014, 04:01 PM
I wanted to go with the bfh, but the stock headlights really needed the fogs. Poison spider should have a way to mount the fogs on the bumper... if not in it. The JK really does need the light.

I felt the same way at first. The BFH is a very minimalist bumper so there's no place to mount them. I had to cut 2" off the frame just to mount the bumper. Right now I have a set of 55 watt halogens mounted to the top of the bumper with a separate switch for a little extra light. They will serve until I put a winch and fairlead that will allow me to put an LED light bar on it.

You can always go with their Brawler line if you must have the fog lights. It was originally one of my main features I wanted in a bumper but for a stubby of this size and strength there just isn't the space due to the gussets in place.

JeepLab
05-12-2014, 06:21 PM
These arrived today. I hope to get them installed this week, if the rain stays away.743744

This looks good. Im interested to see how it goes.

ljvsnyder
05-13-2014, 08:43 AM
I tried to get some before photos on a back road, but there wasn't sufficient light for my camera to show anything. Which says a lot about the stock headlights, given my camera has a low light feature. If the rain holds out today I am going to install the drivers under the hood. Won't have time to take the grill off to pull the lights. Probably will wait until this weekend, suppose to have a set of 8" Led light bars coming that I own in a contest. So if they arrive I will be trying to find a spot for them and will probably pull everything off to get them wired.

ljvsnyder
05-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Well spent Friday and Saturday getting the Jeep upgraded with lights. Installed the Raxiom Led H13 replacement bulbs from Extreme Terrain. Overall impression definite improvement over stock bulbs. If your on a budget worth buying, if you can hold out save for Peterson led replacement lights or truck lite. Install was pretty easy, one thing I should point out is that the locking tab on the relay plug that goes into the stock harness is to long and needs to have the end trimmed ever so slightly to get them to lock in place.

dims
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1501_zpsc822f05e.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1501_zpsc822f05e.jpg.html)

dims plus factory fog lights
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1502_zps30050474.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1502_zps30050474.jpg.html)

brights
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1503_zpsb7656110.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1503_zpsb7656110.jpg.html)

Anotheruserid
05-28-2014, 03:35 PM
KC's are in...just have to find a level spot to take some photos 25 ft from a wall. Our driveway has enough grade that I think the light would be on the ground, not the garage door and would perhaps misrepresent the light output in a photo. Any luck with the Trucklites Ross?

JeepLab
05-28-2014, 06:45 PM
KC's are in...just have to find a level spot to take some photos 25 ft from a wall. Our driveway has enough grade that I think the light would be on the ground, not the garage door and would perhaps misrepresent the light output in a photo. Any luck with the Trucklites Ross?

TruckLites are in, and the fogs are in. Im ready to ROCK over here.

I havent had them in the dark yet. so I cannot comment on their brightness so far. I mounted the fog lights without mounts, so my position so far is thats fantastic. Amazing what you can do with zip ties.

JeepLab
05-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Snyder, how far from the wall are you in your pics?

Rexx19
05-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Show some pics of the jeeps from the front with the new lights.

I feel like new lights change the overall look.... Off or on.

Anotheruserid
05-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Garage pic is at 25ft. Highs and lows looked identical so you only get one pic. Pics in parking lot are hi and low beam only. No fogs and no camera flash in any pictures.

Hi beams approx 100ft from ditch

Low beams approx 100ft from same ditch

Garage hi beams at 25ft

Pics are pics...my impressions are:

Install is easy, aiming is easy, price is identical to its direct competitors at most retailers so that's a wash. Cutoff seems okay, and the light is projected in a useable pattern. I'm happy with the output, it's certainly better than stock and comparable to the Hid's I had previously, though a different temperature (a little less white.). While I wouldn't suggest there are extreme hotspots anywhere there is a tiny bit of what i would call fragmentation of light on low beam right in front of the vehicle. I think it is from the small KC logo on the headlight lense. Apparently the logo glows in the dark but your on your own if you what to see what that looks like. I don't give a shit about such things and you can't make me.:p

ljvsnyder
05-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Snyder, how far from the wall are you in your pics?

I assume you are asking about the glowing object in the middle left side of the photo. If so that is a license plate over 650' away from where I am parked. The ground is about 5' lower than the road surface. I will try to find a dark level place with a building at a known distance away so everyone can get a better idea of the output.

JeepLab
05-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Garage pic is at 25ft. Highs and lows looked identical so you only get one pic. Pics in parking lot are hi and low beam only. No fogs and no camera flash in any pictures.

Hi beams approx 100ft from ditch

Low beams approx 100ft from same ditch

Garage hi beams at 25ft

Pics are pics...my impressions are:

Install is easy, aiming is easy, price is identical to its direct competitors at most retailers so that's a wash. Cutoff seems okay, and the light is projected in a useable pattern. I'm happy with the output, it's certainly better than stock and comparable to the Hid's I had previously, though a different temperature (a little less white.). While I wouldn't suggest there are extreme hotspots anywhere there is a tiny bit of what i would call fragmentation of light on low beam right in front of the vehicle. I think it is from the small KC logo on the headlight lense. Apparently the logo glows in the dark but your on your own if you what to see what that looks like. I don't give a shit about such things and you can't make me.:p

well done. Ill get my pics in the dark today.

ljvsnyder
05-31-2014, 06:11 PM
Here are a few more photos of the Raxiom H13 led headlights. The building and fence are approximately 214' (took an actual measurement this morning) away.

dims
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1507_zps9fd2db3e.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1507_zps9fd2db3e.jpg.html)

brights
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1508_zps98e3be62.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1508_zps98e3be62.jpg.html)

These were from about 20' away

dims
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1513_zps296a144f.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1513_zps296a144f.jpg.html)

brights (posted wrong photo originally)
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1514_zpsa8381024.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/IMG_1514_zpsa8381024.jpg.html)

You can see how the dims are more bell shaped and the brights are flatter.

I will see if I can get my camera to mount and get some video going down the road. After driving with them, I have really ome to like the whiter light. Reflections from street signs don't seem to mess with my eyes, plus you can see a stop sign several hundred yards down the road. While you can't make it out, you can see the light clearly reflecting back. We had a little fog last night and they seemed to cut through the fog well without having a lot of flashback. Pleased with the purchase.

ljvsnyder
06-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Well after driving with radio running and headlights turned on there is interference with the radio, at least for station at great distance on fm. My stubby antenna could add this issue. I have heard of similar issues with hid kits.

JeepLab
06-01-2014, 05:22 PM
I had my truck out at night last night for the first time. I love the truck lites.

Mind you, im coming from stock with a bulb upgrade, this is a new world from there.

Other people complain about artifacts with the trucklites. Personally, now that Ive seen them at night its a non issue. The crossing of one bulp and the other makes a bright spot out in the distance about as wide as the lane you are driving in. So its a little extra brightness right where you need it.

Aiming- I have them set normal, and i think they are high, People werent flashing me last night, but the high beams were useless, as they were above the zone where I wanted them.

The trucklite aux lights in the jeeps fog location is also a VERY big improvement over stock.

Im going to use some fluffy weather stripping to try to reaim the beams back down to the ground a little. Its to be expected with a lift.

Snarf77
06-02-2014, 10:39 AM
The trucklite aux lights in the jeeps fog location is also a VERY big improvement over stock.

My LOD front bumper integrates stock fog lamps. Your review and process makes me want to consider getting a set of these down the road!

Rexx19
06-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Is JW speaker getting in on this?

Im trying to decide.....

Pznivy
06-16-2014, 08:20 PM
X2 on jw speaker....

drev500
06-25-2014, 10:57 AM
New member coming from WF. Saw this place after researching the turbo project.

I am currently investigating a HID projector setup for the JK. I have sourced a harness, new housing with a projector placed in it and an HID system. I have everything on order and hope to have somthing together by the end of the weekend. What I have priced is much cheaper than the LED lights like TL and J.W.. I'll post some pictures this weekend when I get everything together

JeepLab
06-25-2014, 11:09 AM
New member coming from WF. Saw this place after researching the turbo project.

I am currently investigating a HID projector setup for the JK. I have sourced a harness, new housing with a projector placed in it and an HID system. I have everything on order and hope to have somthing together by the end of the weekend. What I have priced is much cheaper than the LED lights like TL and J.W.. I'll post some pictures this weekend when I get everything together

Give us the full install!

WhiteRavenRR
06-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Start your own thread with the how-to and results!

Longbowdriver
06-27-2015, 12:23 PM
New user...I replaced the stock JK headlights with the 2nd Gen Trucklites and same for the fogs and what a huge difference! Easy install and 4Wheel Parts still has the full kit on sale. BTW great forum.

FLIPmeOVER
06-27-2015, 06:58 PM
New user...I replaced the stock JK headlights with the 2nd Gen Trucklites and same for the fogs and what a huge difference! Easy install and 4Wheel Parts still has the full kit on sale. BTW great forum.

Give us a pic of the view from the cockpit!

Longbowdriver
06-28-2015, 05:10 AM
Currently teaching pilots in the Afghan Air Force how to employ helicopters and weapons in Afghanistan but will post pics on leave in July. Lots of goodies awaiting install before 2 weeks of Jeepin' out West.

rgeorge33
06-28-2015, 07:48 AM
I used the rally lights harness, cibie H4 housing, and Hella 100/55W lights. Tremendous improvement and much cheaper than the LED options.

FLIPmeOVER
06-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Currently teaching pilots in the Afghan Air Force how to employ helicopters and weapons in Afghanistan but will post pics on leave in July. Lots of goodies awaiting install before 2 weeks of Jeepin' out West.

Is THIS your day job?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iweLTFWP4is

Ive made some bad life decisions. Im stuck behind a desk. Do you still have to have 20/20 vision to be a military pilot? (or do they allow contacts now?_

Longbowdriver
06-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Haven't we all! Vision can be correctable to 20/20 and I think most laser surgeries have now been allowed. We rotary wing drivers don't fly very high so there is no major issue with altitudes or g-force pressures. Wasn't able to pull down the video using military internet but will check it out once I get back to the room and can see it using personal internet! Very hopeful that the video in no way shows the "awesome" movie Firebirds! Horrible Hollywood representation of the Apache! Can't wait to get home and start installing goodies I've been ordering since September last year!

2k13jk
06-29-2015, 04:43 PM
If you guys are interested in some nice headlights my buddy on long island works for a reputable shop called phenominal vinyl in ocean side ny. He is a dealer for a top quality company called off road led bars they sell killer headlights. There all led with halos built in when i get home later ill try and post pics of them there about 525 and come with life time warranty

Anotheruserid
06-29-2015, 07:09 PM
KC Headlight "UPDATE!"

-so after less than a year of use the anti-flicker harness included with my KC's gave up the ghost. I contacted my retailer, but they were powerless to help; all KC warranty issues are re-directed to the manufacturer, the procedure is extremely convoluted. I won't bore you with the details but it was becoming quicker and easier to just buy new harnesses rather than submit for warranty. Once on the phone with a sales rep at KC, a perfectly timed "F" word netted me a new set of harnesses shipped out to me free of charge effectively bypassing all the ridiculous warranty/return issues. Problem solved. For now.

I think there are to many other options on the market for me to bother any further with the KC. For the price we consumers pay for this shit it ought to be right the first time. If it's not, the manufacturer should be doing their utmost to make it so.

I went against the grain when I opted not to buy trucklites, strictly because someone has to try the stuff that's new to market. In this case I wish I hadn't.

kevlar21
06-30-2015, 04:37 AM
ill throw my 2c in here too i guess,

about 6 months ago i bought this set for my '13 jk:

New Brights LED Headlight Conversion Kit - All Bulb Sizes - 80W 6400LM Cree LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs - H13 (9008) Dual-beam LED
http://amzn.com/B00MOR4D5U

i didnt get it at amazon, i found the exact same one on ebay for like 90$

there was a definite flicker, which someone in the reviews with a similar setup said there would be, and he recommended this anti-flicker harness which i then bought for 40$:

New Brights LED Headlight Plug & Play Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker Device (1 Pair) - All Sizes Available
http://amzn.com/B00QDELXA8
edit* yes that solved the flicker.

all in all, for 130$ its way better than the stock setup, and it does seem to have good cutoff in the stock housing, however, my 2 minor complaints are that the hi beams are not that powerful, in fact, i hardly notice when i switch over to them, and the color is a bit blue, but like i said, its all still better than the sh*tty stock setup by a mile IMO.

Pznivy
07-01-2015, 05:59 PM
why does chrysler insist on installing junk for a vehicle that they say can go anywhere? Its the first must upgrade.

stock jeeps can go anywhere....in the daytime.

Longbowdriver
07-03-2015, 11:21 PM
They learned from our government...our $28 million, day/night/all-weather AH-64D Longbow helicopter has a 1940's era $100 ADF/NDB receiver installed, this will get you within +/- 15 degrees of the non-directional radio beacon on the ground...archaic! Just like the lights on our JK's...reminds me of an Eastwood movie, too! A Fist Full of Dollars! and we could see beyond 20 feet at night.

FLIPmeOVER
07-04-2015, 06:19 PM
They learned from our government...our $28 million, day/night/all-weather AH-64D Longbow helicopter has a 1940's era $100 ADF/NDB receiver installed, this will get you within +/- 15 degrees of the non-directional radio beacon on the ground...archaic! Just like the lights on our JK's...reminds me of an Eastwood movie, too! A Fist Full of Dollars! and we could see beyond 20 feet at night.

Do you guys mod the apaches? Thats very cool. ApacheLab.

Longbowdriver
07-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Maybe not for this thread, but looking to get an LED light bar and the prices are outrageous! Anyone tried out or have knowledge on the factory direct much less expensive models? Just hoping it's not a "get what you pay for" endeavor. Can't see paying $1,500 for one. Looking forward to everyone's input, good or bad.

Pete
07-26-2015, 09:42 PM
Have you looked into engo? You can get a 50" for $550ish.

Rexx19
08-03-2015, 07:03 PM
I got the engo 50 also. Dont love the mount but the light itself is fantastic.