PDA

View Full Version : SpiderWebShade

WhiteRavenRR
05-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Well today was a good day as the mailman rolled through the 'hood as I happened to be outside tinkering with the Jeep (as I do practically everyday) and he hands me a box from SpiderWebShade. Yes, it arrived! You can only imagine my giddiness (sp?) and the spring in my step as I trotted myself back into the house and yell at the ol'lady to show the new Jeep sexy-ness:

Don't let the little box fool ya there is some good stuff in there:

Inside the box you will find the shade along with 3 small and 8 large Spider Balls:

You will use the 3 small Spider Balls for the front center and then the two outboard grommets but not the corners. Start the install by
mounting the center grommet to the footman's loop on the windshield.

Install both rear corners. Slide the ball through the top of the grommet then around the roll bar. Once installed, roll the entire ball underneath to hide it from sight. Make sure you loop under the seatbelt bracket with the bungee.

Install both inner grommets to the outboard footman loops.

WhiteRavenRR
05-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Start with the front corners and then work your way back from there. Tuck the Ball up into the front corner plastic housing:

Installed product:

JeepLab
05-02-2014, 05:25 PM
This guy dosent waste any time. I love that.

I also love trail mesh shades. LET SUMMER COMMENCE!

JeepLab
05-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Start with the front corners and then work your way back from there. Tuck the Ball up into the front corner plastic housing:

Installed product:

I see the spider ball sticking up in the back. Did you pull it under?

You attach it ball up, Then pull it around so the ball is down inside.

WhiteRavenRR
05-02-2014, 05:44 PM
It is a very nice quality top. With that being said, I did run into a snag with my current top. I run a Bestop Trektop NX and after going through the steps of reinstalling the top over the WebShade, I couldn't hook the top center two straps (of the Trektop) to the bottom of the sound bar. This could be remedied easily by installing two 1" oval grommets in the WebShade just forward of the sound bar inline with the two Freedom Top holes.

Overall, the quality is exceptional and the install is very simple even though I had to go online and find a video on how to do the install since it didn't come with instructions. The video is just over 2 minutes long and highly amusing, especially watching the woman talk about hiding your 'balls'.

WhiteRavenRR
05-02-2014, 05:46 PM
I see the spider ball sticking up in the back. Did you pull it under?

You attach it ball up, Then pull it around so the ball is down inside.

Yes I pulled my balls under...sorry, couldn't resist.

Snarf77
05-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Looks absolutely great. Have you had a chance to use it in the direct sun. I'm curious how much heat it blocks out.

WhiteRavenRR
05-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Yes. I'm here in Oklahoma so we get plenty of sun and wind. This thing is very nice. The wife and I went to lunch the other day out in 95-degree weather and when we got back in, the seats were nice and cool. It's also nice going down the road with the sun up ahead of you and you don't have to squint nearly as bad as without it plus your forehead isn't getting blistered from sun exposure.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep it on under the Trektop as I can't use the two center straps that hook to the soundbar. If you flip the front half back to open the front seats to the open air, those straps keep the Trektop from catching the air and billowing up like a parachute.

I was looking at having some 1" oval grommets put in but as I looked closer, the buckles are attached to the top and come down past where the webshade would sit. The grommets would need to be bigger to allow passage of the buckles or the buckles need to be removed and some other form of strap needs to be used but also allow the strap to be tightened down. I will post a pick of the buckles later today.

Overall, I love this top. I just wish I didn't need to completely remove the Trektop to use it. I just bought the Trektop a few weeks ago just for the same reason of having a bikini top to keep the sun at bay on those hot summer days. I'm working on figuring this out without too much modification and maybe get with Spider WebShade to address this.

JeepLab
05-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Ive got door shades going on next. I love the spiderwebshade stuff.

WhiteRavenRR
05-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Door shades? Are these for tube doors?

UselessPickles
05-13-2014, 11:51 AM
As soon as Michigan weather and my schedule start cooperating with each other, I'll get to try some topless and doorless driving with my spiderweb shade to finish gathering info/thoughts before I share them. Spoiler alert: it's not all positive so far. One of my negatives encouraged me to do some more in-depth testing, which means it could be a while before I'm done.

ljvsnyder
05-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Has anyone talked to spiderwebshade about the issue with the trek top nx?

JeepLab
05-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Has anyone talked to spiderwebshade about the issue with the trek top nx?

modifying a product happens easiest with a suggestion. Are we suggesting a trek shade with holes in it to accommodate the trektop?

I dont have a trektop to test with, but if you guys do, say how it would better, im sure Spiderwebshade is listening.

WhiteRavenRR
05-13-2014, 11:17 PM
It is a very nice quality top. With that being said, I did run into a snag with my current top. I run a Bestop Trektop NX and after going through the steps of reinstalling the top over the WebShade, I couldn't hook the top center two straps (of the Trektop) to the bottom of the sound bar. This could be remedied easily by installing two 1" oval grommets in the WebShade just forward of the sound bar inline with the two Freedom Top holes.

I've marked the spots on mine with a silver sharpie. On closer inspection, the buckles are attached to the Trektop and would hang down lower (through) the web shade. A little more brainstorming is in order. I have been trying to figure something out that would involve removing the plastic buckle itself and using some cord (550) through the webbing loop instead and attached to the original buckle. I just have figured out how to tighten it down once assembled.

Does that make any sense?

ljvsnyder
05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
modifying a product happens easiest with a suggestion. Are we suggesting a trek shade with holes in it to accommodate the trektop?

I dont have a trektop to test with, but if you guys do, say how it would better, im sure Spiderwebshade is listening.

I believe that is what is being asked. Had it not been for this post I would have purchased a spiderwebshade already. But my future plans are for a trektop nx. I would rather buy something that works together than having to modify the product to work.

JeepLab
05-14-2014, 08:30 AM
I believe that is what is being asked. Had it not been for this post I would have purchased a spiderwebshade already. But my future plans are for a trektop nx. I would rather buy something that works together than having to modify the product to work.

personally, I prefer the supertop nx if you havent bought one yet.

The supertop is easier to put up and take down quickly.

Make sure to get the NX model tho, the standard supertop is outdated garbage.

Deola
05-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Got a trek top twill on dad's and it's amazing, the quietest soft top I have ever ridden under. I recently added the spider web shade to my jku. I really like it for days where it's in the mid-80s or above to block the glaring sun. I went to a wedding the other day, I have no top or doors on my jk now. On the way home that night the spider shade showed that even in a heavy downpour with moderate speed a lot of the rain is deflected out of the passenger compartment. The only time I find myself taking it off is on sunny days with cooler temps, I like the sunshine to help keep me warm while riding, and preheating my seats while I'm not in it.

JeepLab
05-14-2014, 04:29 PM
got a trek top twill on dad's and it's amazing, the quietest soft top i have ever ridden under. I recently added the spider web shade to my jku. I really like it for days where it's in the mid-80s or above to block the glaring sun. I went to a wedding the other day, i have no top or doors on my jk now. On the way home that night the spider shade showed that even in a heavy downpour with moderate speed a lot of the rain is deflected out of the passenger compartment. The only time i find myself taking it off is on sunny days with cooler temps, i like the sunshine to help keep me warm while riding, and preheating my seats while i'm not in it.

give us a pic!

Deola
05-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Here are some pics

JeepLab
05-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Here are some pics

Look at those bare pipes on the jeep.

Why the hell don't they paint them all body color? That drives me nuts.

The pipes look good tho, maybe throw a sheet over the interior and spray them.

That would be a mod that would make the truck stand out.

Deola
05-15-2014, 10:30 AM
Another free easy one is my rear headrest removal

Snarf77
05-16-2014, 07:59 PM
All of these spiderwebshades look so good I'm going to have to get mine installed this weekend. Super cool and the weather is supposed to be pretty great here on Sunday. Pretty excited about these based on everyone's reviews.

Deola
05-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Make sure you set aside at least 3 minutes for the install;)

JeepLab
05-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Snarf, you got the full cage, Show it off!

Snarf77
05-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Ok..my install took more than 3 minutes, maybe 30, but i"m a bit slower and deliberate in doing things. I went with the full 2 door shade cage. It goes from the windshield, over the sound bar to the top of the rear seats and adds two side panels for the area under the roll bar. Cool look and keeps the sun off the rear passenger as well. Also will keep the dog in the car if hes in the back.

There aren't specific instructions anywhere online for the full "shade cage" so I took some time to watch videos and get the concept down. Once I watched a couple videos I just got started installing it. From that point forward it was a breeze. Installed the front center, then front left and right, then the rear and in between. The side panels have no instructions anywhere online but were fairly self explanatory, as all the shade cage products are. The only difference is that there is one really long spider ball to go around a wider section.

What a great friggin product! Seriously, I'd buy it 10 times over. The shade from the sun is fantastic, but I can still see out. With the doors on, it also significantly cut down on the wind inside the cab for me. I'm not sure how much the side panels had to do with that, but I'm guessing they helped. I drove on the highway for 30 minutes and didn't have any issues. It also kept some light morning dew off my seats when I left the jeep outside overnight. Totally worth it just for that.

LOVE this product. Here it is in use when I was out wheelin yesterday.

I haven't verified it will fit on with the hardtop 100% as the side panels use two of the top's indexing holes for the bungee. If the pin pops in then i'm golden. if not, then I just remove 4 bungees and reinstall when the top is back off. TOO EASY.

I'm so pleased I have this with the summer coming up quickly!

ljvsnyder
06-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Ok wife gave the approval to get a spiderwebshade for my JKU, not sure if I want to go with black or a different color. I have a rock lobster red JKU. Any opinions?

JeepLab
06-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Ok wife gave the approval to get a spiderwebshade for my JKU, not sure if I want to go with black or a different color. I have a rock lobster red JKU. Any opinions?

dangerous proposition....Black is the safe route....

ljvsnyder
06-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Yeah I know, but I like to be different sometimes. I thought about blue or grey.

JeepLab
06-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Yeah I know, but I like to be different sometimes. I thought about blue or grey.

Do it bud!

I thought jessee was nuts when he said he wanted brown wheels. but that came out very good. You dont know till you pull the trigger.

Gotta build your rig your own way. Only one who needs to live with it is you...

ljvsnyder
06-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Just got a discount code from Morris 4x4 that lets me get the color for free, plus free shipping.

JeepLab
06-17-2014, 04:41 PM
One last thing...

Chris at spider shade is a very cool guy. If you buy something from him and dont like it im sure he'd replace it. Im not quoting spidershade policy, but i do know chris, and I'm pretty sure he wont let you be less than completely excited about your shade.

WhiteRavenRR
06-17-2014, 05:16 PM
I thought about going with the grey to contrast with my silver Jeep.

Going with a completely opposite color scheme is ballsy but it's your Jeep. Mod it however you will. When it's all said and done, bottom line, it's still a Jeep.

Pznivy
06-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Blue on rock lobster.... The guy is definately his own man. I respect it.

I say go for it. Post pics!

Maybe do a blue brake caliper. that would be cool. blue shackles?... Blue grab handles?

Good accent color for rock lobster. Maybe figure out a real good blue for painted parts.

Corvette had "lemans blue" that was a good shade. If you want I can get you the paint code.

ljvsnyder
06-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Well I decided on the gray. I really thought about the blue, but didn't want to look to much like a rebel battle flag. RL reminds me of the original flame red on the general lee. Sometimes it looks orange and sometimes red. Kind of wish the gray was closer to a mineral gray. I think RL with MG would be a go combo.

JeepLab
06-18-2014, 08:30 AM
I like pznivy's idea with tieing it in with matching shackles. IF you want to bounce the color off another part of the truck.

also, in winter when the shade is off you can change out the shackles easily.

ljvsnyder
06-18-2014, 01:41 PM
I am thinking of doing the full color scheme as red and gray. I had originally thought about red and blue, but it was more in your face scheme. I think a RL with MG or graphite gray will go well together. But re-coating bumpers will come when u decide on fenders, a few years away.

GutWrench
06-18-2014, 05:31 PM
I opted for the red to go with my silver Jeep too!

JeepLab
06-18-2014, 06:15 PM
I feel like I mailed it in with my black shade on my black truck. You guys send some pics so we can check out how these bold moves turn out.

ljvsnyder
06-18-2014, 09:00 PM
I will definitely post pics.

ljvsnyder
06-21-2014, 05:30 PM
My shade came in today. As soon as I can I will post pics. I can say it works as advertised.

ljvsnyder
06-22-2014, 04:11 PM
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/20140621_122317_zpsdlx1zeyq.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/20140621_122317_zpsdlx1zeyq.jpg.html) http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/20140621_135300_zpsbqykckzn.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/20140621_135300_zpsbqykckzn.jpg.html)
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/ljvsnyder/Jeep%20Wrangler/20140621_135235_zpsc7nxni9k.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/ljvsnyder/media/Jeep%20Wrangler/20140621_135235_zpsc7nxni9k.jpg.html)

WhiteRavenRR
06-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Looks good. Nice contrasting colors.

ljvsnyder
06-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Didn't have a chance to post a review after spending a day with the hard top off. Must say going topless is my preferred method now. This was actually the first time the entire top had been removed for driving. And to quote my 5 year old "this is the cool Jeep." With the top off the center armrest was hot enough to burn the skin. After installing the spiderweb shade the arm rest actually felt cooler to touch than with the hard top on. While you aren't technically topless with a mesh top of any kind this is definitely an improvement over being exposed to the hot sun on a 95+ degree day with 80% humidity. One thing I wasn't aware of and caused me concern when I purchased was the possibility of the two center grommets bouncing of the roll cage, Spiderweb shade thought of this and install a Velcro cover to under the grommets when the hard top is off. There was minimal thumping from the center section bouncing up and down. This could be stopped by running a couple of bungee balls through the sound bar screw holes and the grommets with a plastic dowel rod placed on top. Or one long bungee ball cord that would reach through both screw holes and the grommets and back around to the underside to hook onto the bungee ball. I hope that makes since. I am going to try both options this weekend if it doesn't rain. Overall dollar spend this is a good product. There are imitators out there, and while I haven't seen their products, I knew I was getting a good product with the Spiderweb shade vs the competition.

Thinking about running either cargo nets in the rear or the spiderweb shade cargo cover. Is anyone running the Spiderweb shade cargo cover? And what are your thoughts?

Rexx19
06-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Rock LOBSTA!

I like the contrast in this. Really well done. I like it when people dont play it safe.

ljvsnyder
06-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks rexx, wanted something different.

Timmy
06-25-2014, 11:04 AM
There was minimal thumping from the center section bouncing up and down. This could be stopped by running a couple of bungee balls through the sound bar screw holes and the grommets with a plastic dowel rod placed on top. Or one long bungee ball cord that would reach through both screw holes and the grommets and back around to the underside to hook onto the bungee ball.

See my previous "bungee through the soundbar" comments on the following thread ;-) -> http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?44-the-Spider-Web-Shade-Thread-Coupon/page2

Then, after reading that, do as I did and contact Spider and let them know how Engineer Johnny clearly did not think outside the box to include those bungees to go through the soundbar holes. Massive oversite, would have added maybe $2 to their cost, should fire Engineer Johnny for that mistake.

Snarf77
06-25-2014, 12:33 PM
See my previous "bungee through the soundbar" comments on the following thread ;-) -> http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?44-the-Spider-Web-Shade-Thread-Coupon/page2

Then, after reading that, do as I did and contact Spider and let them know how Engineer Johnny clearly did not think outside the box to include those bungees to go through the soundbar holes. Massive oversite, would have added maybe $2 to their cost, should fire Engineer Johnny for that mistake.

I don't have any flapping as of yet, but i'm the only one with my model and style of spiderwebshade. I have the shadecage that goes front, to back, over the roll bar to the back seat. Maybe the aerodynamics are different, maybe the flapping takes time for some of us.

Either way, the solution may be just a couple spidershade ball things coupled together, or a long one. My final analysis is that the solution should be pretty easy if I ever get the symptoms.

WhiteRavenRR
06-26-2014, 06:16 AM
Seriously?

JeepLab
06-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Seriously?

that was an old spammer from before I changed the security in March. Must have missed weeding him out. Back to Business!

ljvsnyder
06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
So who is the old spammer? Anyway the flapping isn't bad, but annoying. I did buy some adjustable bungee balls from lowes. They are only 12"s but I removed a ball from another cord and will try weaving the cord through the screw holes up through and back down to the other screw hole. I will post my results. I found another type of bungee cord but not in the right length with a bungee ball, it basically has spear on one end that folds out to a t-shape to hold the shade down. If I can find that type of bungee part separate on a make your own bungee site I will try it as well.

ljvsnyder
08-28-2014, 02:22 PM
finally fixed the flapping. Added a 1/2" plumbing pipe insulator on top of the sound bar. Cured the flapping. Now to try to fix the rush of air from behind so my little girls don't look like they stuck their fingers in a light socket. Anyone have experience with the JKU cargo shade? Would like to see if it actually cuts down on the wind turbulence.

Timmy
08-28-2014, 03:33 PM
finally fixed the flapping. Added a 1/2" plumbing pipe insulator on top of the sound bar. Cured the flapping. Now to try to fix the rush of air from behind so my little girls don't look like they stuck their fingers in a light socket. Anyone have experience with the JKU cargo shade? Would like to see if it actually cuts down on the wind turbulence.

:cool: Take the top off only to put a semi-transparent top on to solve all the issues of going topless

I bought the spider shade as well. Haven't had it, or a soft top, or the doors, or the bikini top on once all summer. I just provide my passengers with a complimentary hat (or hair tie for the girls,) and point to my lovely little warning sign on the passenger visor that Pickles keyed me on to that shows the results of not wearing said provided apparel...

ljvsnyder
08-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately I am folicaly challenged and hat hats. And this appeases the wife to that end. But my little girls get cold in the evenings from the backwash of air. I still want a top off appearnce, which the spidershade does a great job of.

ljvsnyder
09-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Whiteravenrr did you ever find grommets to allow your trek top nx to workbwith you spidershade? Just picked up a trek top nx really cheap but would love running both together.

WhiteRavenRR
09-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Not yet. Another option is to get their front webshade instead of the full shade. That should allow you to run your Trektop and still be able to flip it back and have the shade in place.

Yoinkers
09-14-2014, 06:52 PM
My hard top just went back on. Ready to cry

ljvsnyder
09-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Got it all installed no longer than it takes to install either top won't worry about modifying the spiderwebshade.

ljvsnyder
09-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Just got a call from Spiderwebshade and they will add the grommets for the trek top center straps to go through. If you don't have the spidershade yet, they can do it at the time of the order. If you need it done after your purchase it will only cost you shipping of $11.95.

JeepLab
09-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Just got a call from Spiderwebshade and they will add the grommets for the trek top center straps to go through. If you don't have the spidershade yet, they can do it at the time of the order. If you need it done after your purchase it will only cost you shipping of $11.95.

WHOA!

Thats some testing I can get behind. You found an issue, and Spiderwebshade made an alteration. BRAVO, to you for articulating the problem, and BRAVO to Spiderwebshade for listening, and adapting to accommodate TrekTop owners.

ljvsnyder
09-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Yes, it is nice they are adapting their priduct to fit with other products.

WhiteRavenRR
09-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Looks like I will be shipping mine back to get it upgraded. Did they mention when they will be ready to start this process?

Yoinkers
09-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Are they just letting anyone ship stuff back?

ljvsnyder
09-26-2014, 12:11 AM
It sounded as if this something they would do for anyone who asked. I would call first before you ship.

WhiteRavenRR
09-26-2014, 06:46 PM
I'll call them when I get around to putting my soft top back on. I've been running SpiderShade for the last week and a half. I will have to take it off and wash it before I send it. It's got some mud in places from burying her down to the frame and climbing out. I wouldn't want to send them a dirty shade back.

Yoinkers
09-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Those spider shade people wrote the book on customer service.