PDA

View Full Version : Poison Spyder Bombshell Diff Covers

JeepLab
02-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Hey Everyone.

Got some Poison Spyder Diff Covers. Figured you'd want pics.

I might even bash one with a hammer. Im pretty sure it can take a good shot. They are thick and heavy.

Here's a shot of them in bare steel. We painted them a few times, pics coming.

We started out with the dremel, with a wire wheel to scuff them up. Used the dremel 8220 cordless rotary tool. I had the Saw Max there too, so its in the picture, I cut 1/4 inch steel with the saw max before. They are tough little machines.

JeepLab
02-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Here they are with dark primer.

JeepLab
02-16-2014, 08:18 PM
We went with Flat black after the primer. I wanted to do the flat black as the background and cut out the spider and have it be the hammered finish.

It would have looked super cool, but I just couldnt get the painters tape to work on the paint. I could get it on there, but when I tried to cut out the spider, I would take the base paint off. It was a nightmare.

Regardless, I plan to bash them into stuff, so im going to need to be able to just respray them later. So no big deal.44

JeepLab
02-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Here's how they came out.

I wasnt blown away. The spray can's cap was far more interesting then the diff cover, final finish. If I had it to do over, I would have stuck with the matte finish, or gone gloss.

JeepLab
02-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Here it is installed.

We were installing the Artec Axle Armor kit, so this cover wet on last. Here's how it looked. The Axle was just sprayed with glossy black paint.

JeepLab
02-16-2014, 08:47 PM
The stock diff cover held up better than expected. After seeing the punishment it took, i feel less that changing them immediatly is less neccessary than I thought.

The stock cover however didnt survive the testing.

The Poison spyder bombshell did however. This exact diff cover will be installed soon.

Once you install one of these your gears are safe as can be.

http://youtu.be/QW0FwNjeFDY

Rexx19
02-17-2014, 07:49 PM
I could watch those diff covers get hit with hammers all day.

the most eye opening thing about that video is that the stock diff cover held up so well.

Makes you think twice before dumping 200 bucks on diff covers.

Has anyone out there damaged the stock diff covers to a point that they were stranded on the trail?

Rexx19
02-17-2014, 08:05 PM

the most eye opening thing about that video is that the stock diff cover held up so well.

Has anyone out there damaged the stock diff covers to a point that they were stranded on the trail?

I felt the same way, Moved Diff Covers to the back of the priority list when I saw how the stockers hung in there. I wont hit anything hard off road.

Crawling over stuff will not generate the same pounds per square inch as that sledge hammer does. How many times does he hit the thing?

JeepLab
02-17-2014, 08:09 PM

This is a good question, We have never seen damaged diff covers ending someone's day offroad.

and this video made us feel the same about the stock diff cover. Sweet Pea, our magnuson SC truck still has stock diff covers installed. And we will wheel her like that.

JeepLab
02-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Here's the aftermath.

the Poison Spyder, was fit to install. And was installed later. The stock dif cover was not so lucky.

Although, the stock dif cover did hold up FAR better than expected. We hit them a lot with the sledge hammer.

Pete
02-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Keep in mind that the sledge hammer is pretty blunt, dropping the front half of a 4000lb JK onto a pointy piece of rock may have catastrophic results on that stamped steel. By the way, we need more tests like this. Does anyone have something I can smash?

Longbowdriver
09-10-2015, 07:39 AM
We go to the range over here with our personal weapons (contractor supporting the Coalition Aviation and Afghan Air Force) and we could test anything over here! Let's check out our 5.56 M4s/CZ805 (Czech) and the AAF's 23mm Geisha Mi-17s. Just send the stuff over here and we will really test the survivability. I agree the stock stamped steel did perform better than I expected! PS covers are definitely solid and mount flush. I've only seen one rig catch a lip of the stock cover and lose some HD oil; we were able to hammer it back in shape and used some type of sealant until we could fix it. Of course, we decided this was one-in-a-million and wouldn't expect it to happen except in sheer bad luck!