View Full Version : Jeep 2012+ ProCharger

DukeofJeep
06-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Looks like there is a new forced induction player

http://www.procharger.com/jeep_jk.shtml

2014-12 Jeep Wrangler JK 3.6L
50%+ More Power with
Complete Systems and Tuner Kits

ProCharger is proud to add another JeepĀ® product to our industry-leading truck/suv lineup– a complete air-to-air intercooled supercharger system for the 2014-12 Jeep Wrangler JK equipped with the 3.6L engine (3.8L coming soon). The HO Intercooled System features a shared-drive design for the P-1SC-1 supercharger, and comes standard with the industry’s largest and most effective air-to-air intercooler for the Jeep Wrangler JK. These new systems produce a reliable 50%+ horsepower gain with just 7 psi, on otherwise stock 3.6L engines running pump gas.

Featuring the easiest and quickest installation available, our kits were designed with simplicity in mind–no permanent modifications are required, with no cutting, bending, or drilling necessary. Even with the industry’s-best belt wrap, you can still swap supercharger pulleys in a matter of minutes and change the serpentine belt without removing the supercharger or any accessories.

With both the HO Intercooled System and Tuner Kit you also have your choice of the helical gearset option for lower supercharger noise levels, and your choice of multiple supercharger and bracket finishes–satin, polished, or our new black finish.

ProCharger HO Intercooled System Highlights

• 50%+ power gain with P-1SC-1, 7 psi, pump gas, otherwise stock motor

• ProCharger’s proven and patented, self-contained oiling design–
no external oil lines

• Easiest and quickest supercharger installation in the industry

• No permanent modifications

• More belt-wrap and easier pulley change than competing systems

• Large intercooler made for the Jeep Wrangler JK to maximize core size

• 1-year supercharger warranty is standard, with optional 3-year
warranty available

• Satin, polished, or black finish options available for both the brackets and supercharger

• Fuel injectors and handheld tuner with programming supplied
(complete system only)

• System is 100% complete with OEM quality and appearance

• Billet impeller and supercharger gear cases, with industry-leading 4.10:1 step-up ratio

• 3.8L Jeep JK Systems coming soon

JeepLab
06-18-2014, 08:03 PM
OMG....again!

ljvsnyder
06-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Looks a lot like the RIPP. I didn't see a price. I wonder how it does on the dyno?

JeepLab
06-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Looks a lot like the RIPP. I didn't see a price. I wonder how it does on the dyno?

They say 50% more power, stock Dyno is 190 whp. 150% of that is 285. We need to get it on a Dyno and make it spin.

UselessPickles
06-18-2014, 09:41 PM
MOAR BOOST OPTIONS!!!

Compare them ALL!

Snarf77
06-19-2014, 07:22 AM
MOAR BOOST OPTIONS!!!

Compare them ALL!

I feel so inadequate with my natural aspiration. :(

DukeofJeep
06-21-2014, 03:42 PM
I called and spoke to the company and apparently they manufacture their own super chargers not sure if that's good or bad? The kit looks pretty clean from the limited pictures I have seen, there are some dealers in my area but no installs just yet to see in person.

DHewes
06-21-2014, 04:07 PM
I had a ProCharger on my 1997 Mustang Cobra back in the old days (damn I'm old). I truly drove that car like I stole it and never had an issue with the SC. Obviously this has little to do with the Jeep 3.6L version, but they have been around for a while and at least on the Ford side have a decent rep. I never had to call support so can't really comment there.

JeepLab
06-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Who's pickin one of these up?

Rexx19
06-23-2014, 09:02 PM
I'll not be the guinea pig.

These new power mods are risky. I'll wait to see how it stacks up to RIPP. It seems so simliar.

WhiteRavenRR
06-23-2014, 09:41 PM

Won't be me with my 3.8l...

UselessPickles
06-23-2014, 10:28 PM

I would, but I seem to have a turbo in the way :(

But turbo + Magnuson might be a possibility...

Timmy
06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
I would, but I seem to have a turbo in the way :(

But turbo + Magnuson might be a possibility...

Ba hahahaha. Yes, yes, burn those stock tires off so you have reason to replace them with bigger ones ;-)

Rexx19
06-29-2014, 06:32 PM
I'd like to see this thing in action. Ive been saved up for a SC, but then the head to head stuff got good, so Ive been waiting.

RIPP- Best tune, least power under 3k rpm.
Mag- tune questions, very sexy power band.
Turbo- No one knows anything really. Im just hoping pickles jeep doesnt explode
Pro Charger - They have the pedigree to make something fantastic, and they know the client base wants it perfect.

Could they have what it takes? Its going to come down to weather or not they make enough power.

I think that 50% line they give is going to end up short. 285 dosent cut it with a 6k power mod, when RIPP is putting down 328 in independent testing. And thats WITHOUT the high altitude pulley.

For procharger to go through the work to get to the party this late they really need to have a gem up their sleeve to get a piece of this market.

UselessPickles
06-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Im just hoping pickles jeep doesnt explode

Me too!

I suspect that the Prodigy turbo will steal the "least power under 3k rpm" award from RIPP, but we won't know for sure until JeepLab gets theirs installed and tested on the dyno. Then there's still stage 2 coming up, which I think will be a more fair comparison to the current supercharger options. All the superchargers have intercoolers, so the turbo should have an intercooler for comparison :)

Either way, more forced induction options can't be a bad thing. More pressure on the competition to stand out above the others!

Yoinkers
07-02-2014, 11:13 AM
How could the turbo make less than everyone else under 3k rpm? Am I reading that right?

Is it parasitic that low in the power band?

UselessPickles
07-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I don't think there's parasitic loss with the turbo below 3000 rpm. There's just no big gains below 3000.

My prediction is that the stage 2 turbo (intercooled) will be competitive with RIPP below about 2500-3000 rpm, and completely blow RIPP (and Magnuson) out of the water above about 2500-3000 RPM. Stage 2 will be the fair comparison because it is intercooled like the superchargers are, and it is competitively priced against the superchargers.

The stage 1 kit (no intercooler) is $1000 less, so it's a more affordable option with opportunity to upgrade later, but still has huge gains in the upper half of the RPM range. For stage 1, I predict that it will beat the RIPP above 3000 rpm, then drop back down near RIPP's peak output at redline. Stage 1 turbo will overtake Magnuson at slightly higher RPM (probably before 3500 rpm) and significantly outperform Magnuson from there all the way to redline.

According to Prodigy's dyno results, the stage 1 turbo produces over 300 ft-lbs torque from 4000 to just under 5500 rpm. That's HUGE! JeepLab's results show RIPP peaking at 280 and Magnuson at 254. Of course, Prodigy used a different dyno, so who knows how valid it is to compare them.

Again, these are just my personal predictions based on publicly available info about all these systems. All I can say for sure is that the turbo is fun and makes me smile, and hasn't given me any reason to wish I would have gone another route. I have not driven a jeep with any other forced induction system, so I cannot compare them based on any personal experience.

Nothing is certain until we get dyno results from all these systems on the same dyno. Hurry up JeepLab! You need to get a local volunteer to try the STS turbo and the ProCharger supercharger now!

Anyway, let's end the derailment of this thread. Head over here to continue any turbo-specific discussion: http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?131-Prodigy-Performance-3-6-Turbo-DIY-Install

blazer1970
07-30-2014, 10:58 PM
No one has any dyno numbers for the ProCharger yet? I cant decide which way to go, would like to see some kind of data before pulling the trigger. I like the idea of not cutting anything up with the ProCharger although the other kits are minor. I just want to do the right thing as this is my daily driver (2014 Rubicon 3000 miles).

UselessPickles
07-31-2014, 12:22 AM
The only claim I've seen so far is a vague "50%+ more power" on their website.

Similarly, I haven't been able to find any results for the STS turbo kit either.

JeepLab
07-31-2014, 09:15 AM
The only claim I've seen so far is a vague "50%+ more power" on their website.

Similarly, I haven't been able to find any results for the STS turbo kit either.

Im on the case and will get to the bottom of this.

JeepLab
07-31-2014, 09:29 AM
ProCharger says the kit should be set at 7lbs boost and 50% power gain will probably be short of actual power gain.

Only way to figure it out will be to put it on the dyno and make it SPIN.

Yoinkers
07-31-2014, 10:44 AM
Ill put my jeep on the operating table for this one. Ive seen the pro chargers up close before.

Let me know if you are looking for a test jeep.

blazer1970
07-31-2014, 11:18 AM
You guys that have the blowers/turbos right now are you using the tune provided by the manufacture or are you having a dyno shop do a custom tune? I have a 68 Pontiac Firebird that I switched over to EFI with a blown LS3 and had a custom tune done by my dyno guy. Not sure if his tuning program supports Chrysler/Jeep he does a lot of Mustangs, Camaros, vettes.

NOLAjeeper
07-31-2014, 11:45 AM
I have the Prodigy turbo stage 1, using the custom tune that came with the kit. Diablo Intune.

UselessPickles
07-31-2014, 12:41 PM
The RIPP, Magnuson and Prodigy kits are all intended to be complete packages, ready to drive with the included tune. ProCharger gives the option of a "complete kit", or a "tuner kit" that does not include fuel injectors or the pre-programmed tuner. I know there's forced induction kits out there for other popularly modded cars that are incomplete or customizable that only include a "base tune" intended to let you start the engine and possibly limp carefully a short distance to a tuning shop. Because of this, some people are of the mind that you MUST get ALL forced induction kits custom tuned before driving the vehicle.

I've seen RIPP mention that they had some problems with tuning for higher elevations that caused some people to require local custom tuning. The bugs should eventually be worked out of the supplied tune for all of these kits such that no one should need custom tuning.

JeepLab
07-31-2014, 08:13 PM
You guys that have the blowers/turbos right now are you using the tune provided by the manufacture or are you having a dyno shop do a custom tune? I have a 68 Pontiac Firebird that I switched over to EFI with a blown LS3 and had a custom tune done by my dyno guy. Not sure if his tuning program supports Chrysler/Jeep he does a lot of Mustangs, Camaros, vettes.

All power mods come with their own tune. The tune is really what you are buying. You can probably mount a vortech or eaton supercharger or a turbo to your jeep. (turbo more difficult). It won't drive correctly without the tune teaching the pentastar to accept the surplus air.

What makes the kits worth what you pay for them is the hours and hours of dyno time necessary to build a tune that your jeep will digest and make the jeep's brain accept and use the extra power the surplus air makes.

RIPP's tune is what makes their product what it is. Magnuson, and Prodigy, same thing. The hardware is the easy part. The tune is where the real time and effort is spent.

You should not pay a 3rd party to custom tune your power mod. Bolt it on, install the tune, mash the gas pedal.

Snarf77
07-31-2014, 09:42 PM
You should not pay a 3rd party to custom tune your power mod. Bolt it on, install the tune, mash the gas pedal.

100% agree. The pentastar is relatively fresh in tuners understanding of how to make it work. Prodigy has a pretty good tune out that is very drive-able and will only get better over time. They pay a lot of attention to their tune, because as Ross stated - what you're getting with the "package deal" from any forced induction provider, is the tune and future support.

Yoinkers
08-18-2014, 10:21 PM
bump for ProCharger, I'd like to see it tested.

Rexx19
08-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Id like to see it tested also.

Where the Sprintex is different than magnuson, but similar, This procharger is VERY similar to the RIPP SC. Id like to know how they differ.

Pznivy
08-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Id like to see it tested also.

Where the Sprintex is different than magnuson, but similar, This procharger is VERY similar to the RIPP SC. Id like to know how they differ.

agreed, it seems similar.

doc5339
10-09-2015, 02:51 PM
It looks like the alternator gets relocated down low (maybe a water/dust issue?), and the ProCharger SC mounts almost dead center of the engine cover approx where the alternator was positioned.

Their promo video claims that there is no cutting or grinding required. The Intercooler they provide is supposedly "biggest available for the JK."

The installed setup actually looks pretty good, though I am sure very few Jeepers are driving them around.

I would test this thing out, as it looks like you can just in-bolt it and go back to stock quite easily.

Lots of forced induction choices for the 3.6 Pentastar now:

Centrifugal: RIPP, ProCharger
Roots: Magnuson, Edelbrock
Lysholm (Twin-Screw): Sprintex
Turbo: Progidy, Atlanta Jeeps Turbo (hopefully remembered their name correctly?)

I hope JeepLab can have a shot at the ProCharger as well.

JeepLab
10-09-2015, 03:37 PM
It looks like the alternator gets relocated down low (maybe a water/dust issue?), and the ProCharger SC mount almost dead center of the engine cover approx where the alternator was positioned.

Their promo video claims that there is no cutting or grinding required. The Intercooler they provide is supposedly "biggest available for the JK."

The installed setup actually looks pretty good, though I am sure very few Jeepers are driving them around.

I would test this thing out, as it looks like you can just in-bolt it and go back to stock quite easily.

Lots of forced induction choices for the 3.6 Pentastar now:

Centrifugal: RIPP, ProCharger
Roots: Magnuson, Edelbrock
Lysholm (Twin-Screw): Sprintex
Turbo: Progidy, Atlanta Jeeps Turbo (hopefully remembered their name correctly?)

I hope JeepLab can have a shot at the ProCharger as well.

I was in touch with pro-charger MONTHS ago. I'll contact them again. Are they shipping the unit?

doc5339
10-09-2015, 04:05 PM
No idea? I just started researching them after I came across one of their "Tuner" Superchargers listed on eBay for $5,235 or best offer, then I looked-up their promo video.

Would love to see the ProCharger installed, dyno'ed and tested on a manual. I would offer my own, but I am not in NJ and am overseas a good part of the year.

doc5339
10-15-2015, 04:08 AM
I was in touch with pro-charger MONTHS ago. I'll contact them again. Are they shipping the unit?

Have you heard anything back from ProCharger? I am dying to see a RIPP vs. ProCharger shootout including installation, drivability, dyne pulls, and 0-60 times.

FLIPmeOVER
10-15-2015, 05:31 PM
im in for ripp vs pro charger. I think its going to be close, with ripp having the edge in tuning and research.

doc5339
10-16-2015, 12:39 AM
You are probably right about the RIPP simply because they have been around longer and heard from their customers.

I need to give ProCharger a chance, simply because I am not in a hurry and really do not want to take an option off of the table because there is not enough information on it.

FLIPmeOVER
01-17-2016, 07:25 PM
did anyone ever get one of these?

Rexx19
01-18-2016, 02:11 PM
x2 what ever happened?