PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Metal Cloak build

2me
07-22-2014, 03:42 PM
I had ordered the Metal Cloak parts during the Memorial Day free shipping deal.
Jeepers Den got the parts in and have started to install the fenders rock rails and rear bumper.

This week hopefully remaining fenders, front bumper,
zeon winch,
37" Trail Grapplers with ATX ProChamber 2 wheels.
Then the Metal Cloak Game-Changer 3.5 lift with the 6Pak shocks.

Very, very excited , after decades of wanting a jeep to ride the trails, it's finally coming togeather!!

JeepLab
07-22-2014, 03:47 PM
I had ordered the Metal Cloak parts during the Memorial Day free shipping deal.
Jeepers Den got the parts in and have started to install the fenders rock rails and rear bumper.

This week hopefully remaining fenders, front bumper,
zeon winch,
37" Trail Grapplers with ATX ProChamber 2 wheels.
Then the Metal Cloak Game-Changer 3.5 lift with the 6Pak shocks.

Very, very excited , after decades of wanting a jeep to ride the trails, it's finally coming togeather!!

Very Nice!

Is the black flares the way they come? or did you paint them?

2me
07-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Hi & thank you!
I ordered all of the parts powder coated.
The parts can be shipped sooner if ordered unfinished, but I wanted them ready to install.
They did an excellent job with the powder coating.
Extremely happy with the super high quality of Metal Cloaks products!

Snarf77
07-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Hi & thank you!
I ordered all of the parts powder coated.
The parts can be shipped sooner if ordered unfinished, but I wanted them ready to install.
They did an excellent job with the powder coating.
Extremely happy with the super high quality of Metal Cloaks products!

Metalcloak has a really nice powder coat capability and the finish comes out great. Plus your bumpers and fenders will all match up. Its a bit harder to install pre-coated and every time you move it you risk a ding or scratch. So go easy on the installers! if there is a small nick somewhere. Having done the install myself (Ross..where is our video on that?), its not super easy and involves lots of trial and error to get exactly right.

Keep us informed. I'm curious to see some of the changes between when I did mine and your versions. You will be getting version 2.0 of the gamechanger and 6 pack shocks. Minor changes - but important ones.

JeepLab
07-23-2014, 01:15 PM
I'm on it snarf.

Also. I can't wait to see those 37s stuffed in.

Keep the photos coming!

2me
07-23-2014, 05:07 PM
ATX ProChamber 2 wheels arrived today!

I'm not sure if I should paint the Beadlock black or not...

I like the idea of a black Beadlock on a black wheel, and I don't mind the scuff marks that I'll earn.

Your thoughts?

2me
07-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Snarf77
Thanks for the heads on on the difficulty of the install, that really helps manage expectations!
I know I'll end up scuffing them and will probably at some point end up rattle canning them.
Have you seen the BASF FLAT BLACK?
That is an absolutely amazing matte finish, some day I would not mind shooting all the black parts with that paint...

JeepLab
07-23-2014, 06:05 PM
ATX ProChamber 2 wheels arrived today!

I'm not sure if I should paint the Beadlock black or not...

I like the idea of a black Beadlock on a black wheel, and I don't mind the scuff marks that I'll earn.

Your thoughts?

WOW.

We may need a headlock thread. Those are beautiful... How much does a new ring cost?

2me
07-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks!
Ross, you mailbox is full.

2me
07-23-2014, 10:30 PM
$400 a wheel, not sure about the price of just the ring though.

Jimbo

Snarf77
07-24-2014, 09:48 AM
$400 a wheel, not sure about the price of just the ring though.

Jimbo

Nice wheels. Beadlocks are on my short list..most likely when I get new tires.

WhiteRavenRR
07-24-2014, 10:19 AM
I like those wheels! The website says their for off road use only? So I'm assuming these aren't DOT approved?

I would like to see how these hold up on a D30 axle.

Snarf77
07-24-2014, 12:22 PM
I like those wheels! The website says their for off road use only? So I'm assuming these aren't DOT approved?

I would like to see how these hold up on a D30 axle.

Caution! Do not fall into the rabbit hole of DOT approval and beadlocks! First..I dare anyone to try to find a law that says beadlocks are illegal or that if you drive on beadlocks, they need to be DOT approved. DOT deals mainly with OEM and commercial stuff..not so much off-road accessories. If a beadlock came as original equipment for a vehicle, then it would be DOT approved. Otherwise..not so much.

I'm sure the wheels will hold up fine to the D30! The D30..who knows..as always..depends on how you drive.

WhiteRavenRR
07-24-2014, 01:59 PM
I understand that DOT Approved is for testing and that by not being tested for their approval is subject for debate.

If a failure occurs while on highway use it could be used against your defense of said product. The company that makes beadlocks and labels them as For Off Road Use Only is covering their butt in such cases. This puts the liability on the user.

Has anyone been on the receiving end or seen anyone losing a bead while off road? I know it's based on driving style but I'm curious to how often this occurs with regular wheels and tires and airing down.

I'm not falling into the hole so much as just 'stumbling' through the issue as I am researching.

The beadlocks in question (those in this thread) are some of the best looking beadlocks I've seen, in my opinion.

2me
07-25-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks guys,
So should I paint the Beadlock rim black or keep it natural?

WhiteRavenRR
07-25-2014, 06:27 AM
I would keep it natural.

Snarf77
07-25-2014, 07:26 AM
I would keep it natural.

Keep it natural. 100%. Don't do it. Too many all black JK wheels.

A beadlock fail is much like a tire blow out I'd imagine. Except it will fail an allow a leak before it allows the tire to come off. So..effectively like a flat tire?

JeepLab
07-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Keep it natural. 100%. Don't do it. Too many all black JK wheels.

A beadlock fail is much like a tire blow out I'd imagine. Except it will fail an allow a leak before it allows the tire to come off. So..effectively like a flat tire?

Natural!

Its 3D now, spraying it would take that depth away,

Also when you scratch them, they will really look scratched, if your scratching the paint off. If the lock is left metal, you won't see it nearly as much.

2me
07-25-2014, 09:01 PM
Great thoughts!
Thank you!
I'll keep them natural !

JeepLab
07-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Mailbox cleared!! I need to figure out how to up the storage!!

Was the price of a replacement ring posted?

That's crutial to how good a deal the wheels are. Some beadIock rings cost the same as a non beadlock wheel. That to me makes the added weight of beadlocks pointless. I want to beat up the rings offroad, then buy new rings. That way the expensive wheel is never really in danger.

2me
07-26-2014, 04:38 AM
I'll try to get ahold of ATX and see about replacement cost of the rings.

Good thinking Ross!

2me
07-26-2014, 04:49 AM
Here is the basics:
(Ross if not ok to post this feel free to delete)

AX757 The Chamber Pro II

1 of 2 (Enlarge)
NEW FOR 2014 - IN STOCK & FREE SHIPPING The Chamber Pro II is a rugged six-spoke true beadlock wheel cast from A356-T6 aluminum.
Size 17" x 9" with backspacing of 4.06
It features an inner bead reinforcement that substantially strengthens the wheel.
Its dual valve stem setup allows the owner to monitor air pressure out on the trail while airing up or airing down.
The beadlock ring is manufactured from 3/4-inch billet 6061 T-6 aluminum and the underside features a vertical ribbing that helps keep the tire from slipping under extreme conditions.
The ring is attached to the wheel using Grade 8 zinc-plated 3/8 socket-head hardware that, when mounted, is flush with the ring.
Free shipping within the U.S.A, sorry excludes Hawaii and Alaska.

Bolt Pattern::
Powder Coating Options:
Email Friend

Price: $399.80

« PREVIOUS | NEXT »

Pznivy
07-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Mailbox cleared!! I need to figure out how to up the storage!!

Was the price of a replacement ring posted?

That's crutial to how good a deal the wheels are. Some beadIock rings cost the same as a non beadlock wheel. That to me makes the added weight of beadlocks pointless. I want to beat up the rings offroad, then buy new rings. That way the expensive wheel is never really in danger.

X2.

well said on this. Bead locks are SO expensive. An inexpensive ring makes a lot of sense. The people who sell the beadlocks should advertize the ring cost as it really should be factored into the value. Although, i will tell you that the weight of the beadlock wheels is normally prohibitive.

If im going broke on the wheels, they are going to be very light. So what if you cannot air down to 1psi. We wheel at 13psi and no one in our group has beadlocks. Never seen anyone lose a bead.

WhiteRavenRR
07-27-2014, 09:41 AM
That's what I wanted to know. How common is it to lose a bead? I seen a lot of people go down to 10 psi and still be okay.

JeepLab
07-27-2014, 08:13 PM
(Ross if not ok to post this feel free to delete)

Open forum bud, Let it rip!

As long as its not profanity or spam, I will not alter posts. If you talk to ATX tell them we want to know what the rings cost!

Snarf77
07-27-2014, 09:48 PM

As long as its not profanity or spam, I will not alter posts. If you talk to ATX tell them we want to know what the rings cost!

Ask them the wheel weight too, or measure one on the scale! I'm curious about how much the beadlock really weighs. I"m thinking beadlock for next setup, or internal beadlocks for the current setup.

JeepLab
07-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Ask them the wheel weight too, or measure one on the scale! I'm curious about how much the beadlock really weighs. I"m thinking beadlock for next setup, or internal beadlocks for the current setup.

it will be a marked loss in accelleration. Its not going to be 5 lbs more, it will be more like 10 at least.

Snarf77
07-28-2014, 08:49 AM
I read a 17" staun internal beadlock weighs in at 6 pounds. Good solution for anyone who wants beadlock internally on any wheel. Same setup used in competition off road.

2me
07-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Just heard back from them:

"The rings are $135.00 a piece (without hardware) plus shipping."

Not to bad.

Yoinkers
07-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Just heard back from them:

"The rings are $135.00 a piece (without hardware) plus shipping."

Not to bad.

ehh $600 shipped for rings is expensive, Im sure they are beefy, the only time you would buy them is when you were planning to sell the jeep so you could get a better price, but at $600, you might just leave them.

Or buy brand new wheels for $600.

Ugh and i just remembered that there are 5 wheels! $700 shipped!

2me
07-28-2014, 07:23 PM
More photos:
JK ExoCorner Crawler Kit

Side shot, I love the way the heavy winch sits low in the bumper!

I love the stinger, but after seeing how big it is, I may be overcompensating a bit ��

WhiteRavenRR
07-28-2014, 10:55 PM
It won't look so huge when you get bigger tread on.

JeepLab
07-29-2014, 09:53 AM

Agreed. it will look just right when the 37s go on.

2me
07-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR

Agreed. it will look just right when the 37s go on.

Thanks guys, I feel much better!
They should be installing the 3.5 lift kit on over the next few days.
Can't wait to get my Jeep back!

What do you think about the LED lights?
I'd like to get some, but I'm not sure the technology is mature enough yet, the price are very high still.

JeepLab
07-29-2014, 06:51 PM
i feel much better!
They should be installing the 3.5 lift kit on over the next few days.
Can't wait to get my Jeep back!

What do you think about the LED lights?
I'd like to get some, but I'm not sure the technology is mature enough yet, the price are very high still.

The truck-lites do not disappoint. I have them for standard lights and fog lights.

Im planning to test JW speaker also.

2me
07-29-2014, 11:22 PM
The truck-lites do not disappoint. I have them for standard lights and fog lights.

Im planning to test JW speaker also.

JW Speaker is supposed to be one of the top lighting systems out there.
Their fog lights rock too!

JeepLab
07-30-2014, 09:09 AM
JW Speaker is supposed to be one of the top lighting systems out there.
Their fog lights rock too!

We'll see, the cost puts them under more scrutiny. We will fire them up and see how far ahead of the competition they are.

2me
07-30-2014, 02:53 PM
ATX + 37" Nitto

ATX & 37" Nitto on 3.5" lift

These are all quick snapshots from the shop, from a different camera than before, I'll take some when I get her home.
I'm not sure how to rotate the photos.

WhiteRavenRR
07-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Looks really good! I like those wheels even more now that I've seen them coated and mounted.

2me
07-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Looks really good! I like those wheels even more now that I've seen them coated and mounted.

Thanks!
Can't wait to have her back!

2me
08-01-2014, 09:34 PM
First phase done:

2me
08-01-2014, 09:39 PM

JeepLab
08-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Now lets see it twist!

JeepLab
08-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Here is Snarf's Fender Install. Tossing it in, as its MC thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXSpxRQdKzc&list=UUhEN__8EdBl7L1906yMMbCA

2me
09-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Took her for a night trail ride and she did awesome!
With the Metal Cloak suspension and tire combination, I can really take a hard turn at a good clip with very little if any body roll.
Very confidence inspiring .
Even with the 3.5" lift she handles way better than stock.

HahaJK
03-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Great looking jeep, any updates or more pictures of it?

Snarf77
03-11-2015, 08:43 AM
I"m loving that corner armor. Its the one piece from MC that I wish I had gotten but didn't!