PDA

View Full Version : STS Turbo for 3.6 Pentastar Wrangler

UselessPickles
07-31-2014, 11:53 AM
This was brought up in the Prodigy Turbo thread (http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?33-OMG-Prodigy-TURBO!&p=1436&viewfull=1#post1436), but I think it deserves it's own thread...

STS Turbo announced a while back that they "released" a turbo system for the 3.6 Wrangler: http://ststurbo.com/blog/jeep-wrangler-v6-turbo/

No, pricing, dyno charts, or specific peak power/torque numbers have been released yet, as far as I can tell. Website says "call for price".

Unlike the Prodigy turbo, STS makes "rear mount turbos", where the turbo is under the vehicle, toward the rear (often right at the tail pipe for may sporty cars). There are various pros/cons to this (some real, some potential, some imagined).

Some advantages I see:

Retains stock catalytic converters.
Retains stock air filter box (no cone filter hanging out in the open).
Seems like it doesn't really require much relocating/modifying of anything in the engine compartment.

Some concerns I have:

Completely replaces the cat-back exhaust, but without any mufflers. It's loud! (sound clip video (http://videos-b-6.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10250473_669264483139226_1081847878_n.mp4)). And you're stuck with their exhaust system, or one-off custom exhaust. Can't use any existing after-market exhaust systems.
Oil-less turbo seems over-hyped. Prodigy turbo is easy to maintain: change engine oil normally, and use quality synthetic oil. STS says you may need to add grease to the turbo bearings every other oil change. How is this done? How easy is it? The benefit of not needing an oil pump to return the oil from the turbo is a problem/solution unique to rear-mounted turbos, so that's not a benefit over the Prodigy front-mount turbo (oil drains via gravity to oil pan with the Prodigy turbo).
Conventional wisdom says that all that extra length of exhaust pipe between the engine and turbo, and intake pipe between turbo and engine, would create extra lag. How much more lag? The internet cannot agree on this. Some reasonable sounding explanations say that STS specifically configures the turbo to spool up faster to offset the extra pipe length and keep lag comparable to front-mout systems, but it comes at the cost of power output in the higher RPM range. Other people say the rear-mount turbo has both noticeably more lag and less power than a front-mount turbo running the same amount of boost.
The STS turbo is in a location that can easily get dunked in water. How much does it stress a hot turbo when dunked in cold water? Does water deteriorate the turbo blanket in any way?

So who's gonna volunteer to harass STS for details and try one of these kits on their Jeep?

JeepLab
07-31-2014, 08:24 PM
This thing is a cool option to throw into the mix.

I talked to them once and they were really excited about the turbo for the jeep.

I'd love to dissect it up close.

WhiteRavenRR
07-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Again, I'm left out with the 3.8...:(

Yoinkers
07-31-2014, 09:30 PM
I wouldnt be the fist to ford a river with my turbo in that location. they should make a snorkle for it.

Or if its sealed, it dosent matter where the turbo is right? The air dosent enter the system under the truck rignt?

Yoinkers
07-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Again, I'm left out with the 3.8...:(

trade it in! Or as get JL to open a 3.8 forum and start throwing power mods.

WhiteRavenRR
07-31-2014, 09:32 PM
It's more of a cold water vs hot turbo issue and the water quickly cooling the turbo. High stress.

Gunner
08-23-2014, 06:53 PM
I would destroy that thing on the rocks. First day out it would be toast.

JeepLab
08-24-2014, 04:00 PM
I would destroy that thing on the rocks. First day out it would be toast.

They must know that danger of mounting the turbo in the location they selected. Maybe including a skid plate with the kit would help people be less concerned.

Gunner
08-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah it would have to have a skid plate of some sort made up for where we wheel. We have lots of sharp broken rock piles that reach up under the jeep and wipe out driveshafts and dent gas tanks. But one could be fabbed up. But would that make it run hotter. Lots of questions on this one still.

Pznivy
08-24-2014, 08:31 PM
a skid plate wont save it when the cold water hits it.