PDA

View Full Version : The JeepLab Welding Table Build

JeepLab
08-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Jeep Lab Welding Table Build

First let me preface. I am not a welder or fabricator. I have a little welding knowledge, and some raw materials. The key to getting proficient at welding is practice. Lots of welders will tell you that a good project is to build your own welding table.

What I do well is research. I’ve researched welding tables and construction of metal parts to a level where Im comfortable explaining my plan. The first step to building a welding table is understanding what you want from it.
Just a metal conducting surface for welding? Simple, thinner plate, 3/16 would probably be the thinnest option. Want the opportunity to hammer material on the table, your looking more at ½ inch steel plate.

After that, what is the structure of the legs going to be to support that weight. ½ inch plate could easily weigh 500 lbs. Then your going to put weight on top of it, so leg structure and frame has to be able to support that weight. The last thing you need is to be standing next to a ½ inch steel plate when a leg gives way.

One thing you want to think about when you are planning your leg frame, is how you want to attach the table top, and where are you going to put your vise.

The vise is a focal point of a welding table or work bench. You want it well anchored so you can exert force on it without the vise, or the table moving.

My plan is to place the vise in a corner and run the bolts that hold it to the table, go thru the ½ plate top, and then thru the supporting frame underneath. I may even use some angle iron to support the bolts. I want the vise to feel like its set in concrete.

My Components –
The plate is ½ inch steel, 60x36”. 2 men can barely lift it. It is very heavy.
The Legs – they four 3 inch square tubes, 3/16ths thick
The Frame- this is the square tube tying the legs together, they are 1.5 square tube with 1/8th thickness.

Connecting the table to the frame –
There are two ways to go on this, I haven’t come to a final decision on it. Im definatly going to bolt the vise thru the table, and then perhaps countersink and bolt the plate down to the frame. This is the best way to avoid the steel plate from deforming from heat and pressure.

Prep- Im going to bevel all areas that need to be welded. This will add strength as the welds will be sure to penetrate, for maximum strength, I want the fame to be super rigid.

JeepLab
08-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Corner and frame pics,

This is the plan.