PDA

View Full Version : Tripple Digets in the dirt.

Gunner
08-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Ross asked me to post what I am doing with my Jeep here On Jeep Lab. This place has some Hot Rodders who understand that power is a Seductive Mistress. So what have I done to my Jeep I call Gunner. Well as you will see I ran it on a dry lake bed at about 4500 ft and on a very hot 100 degree day. Not Ideal conditions but it's what we have out here in SoCal. Desert. I wanted a nice stock baseline. I am able to pull times from the raw footage in I Movie. At least to a 10th of a second. Good enough for me. Here is the bone Stock run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qkVjGt6SlA

Gunner
08-23-2014, 06:35 PM
So here it is a few months later. I have installed a 3.5 Rock Krawler lift, 4.56 gears, 35' KM2's. RCV's, 44 Magnum tubes and C's, Full under armor. So I have added some weight. This run was done on a cooler day but at the same altitude. The Jeep has 3 guys in it this time and weighs maybe 600 pounds more. But with the gearing it does cruise at a higher rpm at 70 than it use to. An AEV Procal was used to adjust the computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFUwEycAjXs

Gunner
08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
10141013So what is next. I'm not sure just yet. My desire is to put a Forced Induction unit on it and go back and see just how fast a Jeep can be made to run in the dirt. I want to do it with the little Pentastar motor. With 35's and 4th gear in the auto. It would do 140 at 6200. If I could coax a bit more out of 5th then maybe 150 in the dirt. I'm just waiting to see what is up on the horizon for power adders. Must be CA legal and auto friendly. I hope you guys enjoy the videos. And Oh Yeah it does get crawled in the rocks.

Rexx19
08-24-2014, 03:56 PM
This jeep may be the most used Ive seen.

Anyone can rock krawl, but really pushing these components with those speeds is unique. This guy is serious.

Pznivy
08-24-2014, 08:28 PM
I am fully tuned into this, which power mods are CA legal?

Gunner
08-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Right now Ripp is. I think it has the best chance of doing what I want. A combo of no boost when I crawl but a nice linear torque curve on the street or on the sand dunes. I have been talking to them and we are working on some details. I want a cage in this if we are going this fast and am looking at the Poison Spyder one. The shop I use JeePerformanceinc. Does a mod where they tie it back into the windshield. I like that if we are going to be putting that much wind pressure on a slab of glass. Alot of the cages eliminate the windshield braces.

JeepLab
08-25-2014, 09:15 AM
I use boost when i crawl. Its become my favorite part of crawling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOB8kcaHODY

Yoinkers
08-25-2014, 10:18 AM
That is one of my favorite videos with BB. Im surprised it doesn't get more views.

Pete (the driver) does not embrace the supercharged crawling technique. It really is cool the way betty spools up gobs of power as her rpms climb.

I hate goosing the throttle. Thats how people roll their rigs. Nice even power build, completely under control. This is why even tho the turbo makes big power, its not really well controlled power as the SC is directly connected to the gas pedal.

Id like to see this exact same hill climbed with Jesse's Girl and see if it works out the same.

UselessPickles
08-25-2014, 10:45 AM
This is why even tho the turbo makes big power, its not really well controlled power

Have you tried driving a turbo Jeep off-road yet? We need Jessee to get out there and test it!

I don't do obstacles like the video posted above, but the power delivery with my turbo has been very smooth/predictable with the type of stuff I do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOkcGb7Q9A0&list=UUkKwiMwQ-ErcTqG93NAbWXQ

Gunner
08-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Yeah we all have different kinds of terrain we crawl through. Here is a clip from one of our runs at Calico Ghost town. It is not a very tough trail but its a fun one. Taken by a buddy of mine. Its the trail the pictures are drawn from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnR_Bx2D8o

JeepLab
08-25-2014, 01:31 PM
good video

Gunner
08-26-2014, 01:25 AM
Looking for an H rated 130 MPH 35" tire. BAJA TA's fit the bill but are 700 bucks each. I don't want to spin a 99 mph rated tire to 150.

JeepLab
08-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Looking for an H rated 130 MPH 35" tire. BAJA TA's fit the bill but are 700 bucks each. I don't want to spin a 99 mph rated tire to 150.

Thats a good question, I wouldn't even have thought about it. The last thing you need in that situation is a blow out.

Im looking for H-rated 35s now.

ljvsnyder
08-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Man nice videos. I don't think I would have the balls to hit 100 mph offroad in my jeep. Been there on motorcycles and that scary as hell.

Gunner
08-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Lots to figure out first. Air flow management thru the engine compartment. If the air starts backing up then inter cooler efficiency is going to fall way off. Also how to keep the air from hooking up under the fenders. Or do I want to run without them? The Smittybuilts are about the best aero ones I have seen.

Rexx19
08-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Lots to figure out first. Air flow management thru the engine compartment. If the air starts backing up then inter cooler efficiency is going to fall way off. Also how to keep the air from hooking up under the fenders. Or do I want to run without them? The Smittybuilts are about the best aero ones I have seen.

This is all crazy. You need pickles in your pit crew. He loooooves to calculate stuff. Might save your life.

Yoinkers
08-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Maybe something to hold your steering wheel straight while you do this? You do not want to turn at those speeds, and if you did have a blow out, the wheel dosent pull to a side and throw you into a roll.

How high is the suspension? you may want to reduce it.

Gunner
08-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Nope it's going to be a normal dirt jeep with a lift and some 35's. I've gone 200 in the dirt before testing our race car at ElMirage. It's going to do fine if I do my part. Yes it is dangerous but I have been racing most of my life. This is gonna be a blast.

Gunner
08-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Well guys. This is just not gonna happen with me. Tire MFG's don't want their tires run at speeds above their ratings. Legal problems. Second the Cage guys are concerned about the fact that if it blows a tire and rolls into a ball that their cages might get a bad rap if someone gets hurt. LastlyI have been talking to my wife and have promised her I will no longer try to do speed runs. I hope one of you guys pick up the baton and runs with it. This is the group to do it. I'm out. No supercharger and just back to crawling rocks.

FLIPmeOVER
09-15-2014, 04:50 PM
maybe this is for the best. pushing these components past their designed levels of tolerance is asking for trouble.

You can still supercharge, just don't get nutty in the salt flats