PDA

View Full Version : Trailers... Which is BEST?

Yoinkers
08-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Ok, i was going to buy a pick up truck this weekend because the cargo capacity of my JK is a joke.

Then a friend told me to get a trailer, it would have better cargo capacity and would work with the JK.

I got the tow group option when i bought the jeep, so may as well use it.

I know nothing about trailers so here are the questions -

Capacity and weight?

Size that is most functional for the Jeep?

Does it need brakes?

Are there good brands and bad brands?

Thanks Jeep Family!

Gunner
08-24-2014, 05:02 PM
My JKU has a 3500 lb. tow capacity. I'm not sure if you have the 2 dr which is 2500lb. Lots of guys are towing tent trailers or Alumilite camping trailers on their jeeps. I think that if you have bigger tires then yes the electric or surge brakes would be a great addition. I guess it depends on what you want to haul and where do you want to haul it. Freeway or trails.

Yoinkers
08-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Do you guys like this one? - it will be on freeways

https://www.trailersuperstore.com/trailers-for-sale/trailers-for-sale/landscape-utility-trailers/carmate-5-x-10-landscape-utility-trailer-all-aluminum-trailer

Pznivy
08-24-2014, 08:24 PM
That one is cool. I dont know much about trailers, other than, if your going to leave it outside, you want aluminum.

Deola
09-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Aluminum is great. But when I was reviewing them for my purchase in 2012 the cost difference ( I got my trailer for $1100)for wood bottomed over aluminum was too great. I have a 10' high side that lives outside( under a tarp). I use it for firewood, mulch, hunting, and other random truck bed needs. It really shows no signs of weather wear, so I'm happy with my purchase. It handles just over a cord of wood. It has ground clearance but really takes a beating off road, especially when empty or lightly loaded. I have been debating on adding a M1101 military trailer(aluminum), it's better off road but the deck is much higher/ reduced capacity/ and a different hitch. What do you plan to haul? Any off road usage? Brakes are great and often mandatory by law depending on how much weight your pulling (3500 in VA). Also I'm not sure on the 2 door weight rating... Didn't it used to be 2000? Did they upgrade it with the install of the 3.6?

Snarf77
09-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Two door trailer weight limitations are mainly due to wheelbase and safety. I have a 16" drop hitch for when I want to tow! I recently traded in my 6 x 12 enclosed trailer for an open utility all aluminum trailer. Towing is night and day better. The partially loaded utility trailer would drag my jeep around whereas the aluminum one is so light, it can be pulled with the family sedan.

Capacity is reduced, but I can still move the garden tractor and ATV. Probably not a cord of wood..maybe a half cord.