PDA

View Full Version : DIY Cargo Net

WhiteRavenRR
08-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Need to keep items in your Jeep? Have an animal (other than yourself) that you want to keep from jumping out? Hate to spend several hundred dollars on a cargo net when it could go to other products? Well then, look no further than creating your very own cargo net out of metal rings, bungee balls, and a crap-load of 550 paracord! Other handy items are a lighter for burning the ends of the paracord (to keep it from fraying), some really sharp scissors, and a small flat-head screwdriver (to help flatten out the ends while still hot to make them flush).

The good thing is that you can even create your own pattern and make each individual section as big or small as you like. You can even do it in any specific color to match over buying one that comes in the ever beautiful black. I, of course, chose black to go with the silver and black colors of my Jeep.

I started off with the back open space and placed my rings at the intervals I wanted and secured them with some bungee balls. I also used a bit of rope to help keep everything tight. I also did this very early in the morning while it was cool so I had my ever trusty Pittsburgh Steelers coffee cup filled with some strong coffee:

I then started with doing the outer edges and then the inner cross pieces:

I also outlined both sides. I worked with both on one side so they would be made very close to the same size and spacing. Once I started braiding I separated them to their respective sides so each was out of the way of the other.:

WhiteRavenRR
08-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Once the outline is complete to your liking, then the real fun begins. I decided to make my net with a survival braid. You never know when you might need to remove some braiding to tie something up that has either fallen off or broke off your Jeep.

Start off with a standard overhand knot:

I then proceeded using the side of the overhand knot that came upward to begin the braiding:

Its hard to describe the rest so I will just show you some photos of how to proceed:

Once you get each braid completed, tighten them by pulling each end and snugging them up. the tighter your make them, the tighter the braid is and the more cord you will need. I initially bought 400 feet of cord and then bought another 100' to finish. I didn't really use that much but with all the overage and extra left over it made sense to just have enough. I probably actually used 350' once it was completed.

WhiteRavenRR
08-28-2014, 04:46 PM
I used 2" rings on the rear and 1 1/2" rings on the sides. I think the 1.5s look better than the 2s once they are done but I'm not going back and undoing all that braid just for a few smaller rings. It would be better to start over. I will say that it probably took me a total of 24 hours worth of braiding and my hands are still healing from the rope burn blisters. I had blisters on top of blisters. I had 4 fingers that were just chewed up by this stuff. I started putting gorilla duct-tape over my fingers to help the cause but this cord just laughed it off.

Here are some final shots of the completed project:

In all I have approximately $90 in this (and some really thin skin on my fingers). I will eventually bring the rear netting down and have it attach to the tailgate bar from the soft top. Once I remove my summer cargo cover I can put my big dog back there and not have to worry about her getting out. I will also make a front piece that comes down from the rear cross member of the roll bar to just behind the back seats.

Good luck!

Pznivy
08-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Thats very cool.

I would have the rings sprayed or powered coated black to match, but the truck is silver so it works in this case. Very cool.

First set of pics is unbraided, then the second is braided?

WhiteRavenRR
08-29-2014, 07:27 PM
You actually braid around the 'frame'. You can buy black rings online but I was chomping at the bit to get a mod going and didn't really care to wait. I have tested a braid around the rings and it looks good as it covers practically the whole ring. I may eventually do this as well.

JeepLab
08-29-2014, 09:02 PM
Did you do the whole roof area? "Full Cage"?

I took my straps off today. Super depressing. Betty is PISSED. Hard top is back on.

WhiteRavenRR
08-30-2014, 06:29 AM
No I did not do a full cage. I wouldn't have any skin left on my fingers if I did. I use either the Trektop NX (bikini top section) or I use the SpiderWebShade so I have no need to do the top. I am also able, with making it this way, to install the back windows and leave the netting on.

Why is your top back on? It's not winter yet!