PDA

View Full Version : jk driver side power window.

40inchDozer
09-03-2014, 06:43 PM
So my driverside front power window started to act up about 2 months ago. Worked going up but was acting up when I wanted the window down. So I delt wirh this for 2 months now but now it doesnt want to go down. And if for some reasonbi do get it downnthe up works perfect. Im thinking the switch might be bad .I have looked for a pin fit in the connector and the motor works so the switch seems like a good spot to start. What does everyone think???

FLIPmeOVER
09-03-2014, 07:50 PM
So my driverside front power window started to act up about 2 months ago. Worked going up but was acting up when I wanted the window down. So I delt wirh this for 2 months now but now it doesnt want to go down. And if for some reasonbi do get it downnthe up works perfect. Im thinking the switch might be bad .I have looked for a pin fit in the connector and the motor works so the switch seems like a good spot to start. What does everyone think???

FIRST POST!

long time lurker. I like the JL site for the real discussion here. not much of that "which lift is best" crap. Those rookies can flood forums, no time for all that.

I have this same window problem, i thought it was the motor, what makes you think its the switch?

Are you going to open the door up? If you do please make your plan clear. I can handle a tool set but am by no means a mechanic.

Timmy
09-04-2014, 01:03 AM

Hmmm... If it were me, and I thought the driver side switch was faulty, I would take off the drivers side door, go mount it on the passenger side (yes, it will look funky since the door will have to be opened at 90 degree angle and the outside of the door will be facing the inside) and then I'd plug the connector in to the passenger side connector and try the window. I'm like 90% sure the drivers side and passenger side connectors are identical, so this should work and rule out if the switch itself is bad. If memory serves (since I JUST put my doors back on) I believe you need a size 35 star bit for the two bolts on the door.

Here's another option. Go find another JK'r and ask them "mind if I borrow your window switch for a second?" and pop that sucker out and put it in your rig real quick and try the windows. If you haven't popped the switch out before, it is stupid simple, just grab the center part of it and pull, then flip the little (I believe red) toggle on the connector and pull the connector apart, and put the new one in. This option is honestly easier than taking the door off, but does require you to have a friend. If you don't have a friend, drive around town and find some hot chick driving a JK and use it as a pick-up line "hey, my Jeep is getting all hot and steamy because I can't roll down my windows. Mind if I test something out using a part from your Jeep?"

WhiteRavenRR
09-04-2014, 06:30 AM
...find some hot chick driving a JK and use it as a pick-up line "hey, my Jeep is getting all hot and steamy because I can't roll down my windows. Mind if I test something out using a part from your Jeep?"

This is real technical stuff here! LOL.

40inchDozer
09-04-2014, 05:11 PM
thanks guys. im really leaning tward the switch being bad. i just wanted to see if anybodyelse was having the same problem and had a def answer. it a little bit of a pain to take apart the dash and take out the switch so i just wanted to make sure first.

FLIPmeOVER
09-04-2014, 09:02 PM
pics when you switch it out. Ive been less than excited to take the door apart, but my similar situation is not getting better over here.

40inchDozer
09-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Ok so last night the window didnt go down as usual so i punched the door where the motor is and the window worked. lol guess i was wrong with the switch and im going to try and pull off the door panel this weekend. i will let you know if and what i find.

Timmy
09-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Ok so last night the window didnt go down as usual so i punched the door where the motor is and the window worked. lol guess i was wrong with the switch and im going to try and pull off the door panel this weekend. i will let you know if and what i find.

Sounds good! And for the record... You don't have to remove the dash to take out the switch. As I said, just grab the center of the switch and pull, it will pop right out of the dash. I still think you should go the "ask a cute JK chick" route while you can, even if you now suspect the problem to be with the motor in the door. Those opportunities don't present themselves all the time you know!

JeepLab
09-07-2014, 06:24 PM
DOZER! keep us informed when you sort this out.