PDA

View Full Version : Insane Jeep Audio JK1001

DukeofJeep
09-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Anyone have one? Looks VERY interesting! If I can get approval from management I may be getting one sometime soon. Seems for a lot of people not having XM is a deal breaker, doesn't really matter to me. What I do like is having the ability to load offroad maps using some of the Android apps. Looks like it also comes with off road maps pre installed in their navigation package but being able to install android apps really opens things up.

http://goo.gl/ThffDE

Timmy
09-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Anyone have one? Looks VERY interesting! If I can get approval from management I may be getting one sometime soon. Seems for a lot of people not having XM is a deal breaker, doesn't really matter to me. What I do like is having the ability to load offroad maps using some of the Android apps. Looks like it also comes with off road maps pre installed in their navigation package but being able to install android apps really opens things up.

http://goo.gl/ThffDE

What!!! That is AWESOME! I wonder if there is a chance they have auto-volume control built in. When the top and doors off, I'm adjusting volume constantly when I start and stop. I'm going to have to add this to my upgrade wish list now.

Timmy
09-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Oooh, I like this unit even more now!!!

Me to InSane peeps -> "Does your unit do auto-volume control?"

InSane Peeps -> "Thanks for your interest in Insane Audio’s JK1001!

With respect to the auto-volume control… that’s a good suggestion. One of the best things about the JK1001 is the fact that we built it on the Android operating system so it’s very easy to customize and add apps and such. One of the first things we’d suggest is to see if something already exists out there in the Google Play store. The last time we checked, there were something like 1.3 million apps out there… so I wouldn’t be surprised if one already existed!

Great suggestion and we’ll see ‘ya on the trail!"

So I checked the Google Play, and sure enough, there are tons of auto-volume control apps! Duh! This is an android powered head unit, I was thinking in the stone age, like MyGig 430N stone age.

So, who wants to buy a MyGig 430N unit for their rig, complete with NavTV? I just had one come up for sale. Any takers?

ljvsnyder
09-05-2014, 01:59 PM
I want. That is the best looking aftermarket radio. Love the features. They should make it marine grade to avoid water issues.

JeepLab
09-05-2014, 09:44 PM
how is it for nav traffic? I feel like my 720 used to be awsome, now not so good.

Timmy
09-06-2014, 10:47 AM
how is it for nav traffic? I feel like my 720 used to be awsome, now not so good.

720 is WAY worse than the 430N for that. You should buy mine ;-)

DukeofJeep
09-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Not sure how it is regarding traffic but I did ask and they told me it has live traffic, you can also subscribe to traffic cameras and upgrade point data for pretty cheap. Didn't see a manual for the JK1001 but did see a Nav manual for the TJ1001 which I believe has the same functions, looks sweet.

http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/InsaneAudio_Navigation_Manual.pdf

DukeofJeep
09-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Ok I skimmed over the nav manual and jeez, this thing really looks great! Can't wait till 4wheel parts gets one in!

JeepLab
09-07-2014, 06:22 PM
This stuff always has me not so sure. slap a few cool features together for a sales pitch, but living with it day in and day out will really tell the story.

It would have to be incredible for me to rip out my 720, that was a 1700 dollar option.

And no one tell Pete (sweet pea) because I MADE him get the 720.

DukeofJeep
09-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I hear ya, I Have the 720 but find it to be junk and more frustrating each day. It is definitely an option I should have NOT gone for. I am trying to find some reviews but so far nothing coming up, there should be some soon there is a 500+ post thread on their Facebook page. I am either replacing my 720 with this or another aftermarket deck, I have been looking at the 8000NEX and DNN991HD.

Timmy
09-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Honestly, this type of head unit is the future. Our current head units will look stone aged compared to these in even a matter of years. A customizable OS that allows you to install apps and allows your head unit to act and work in the way YOU want. An Android based head unit will probably be the most flexible of the bunch, so I imagine it will become the new standard and have the highest market share just like what has happened in the phone/tablet world. I'm sure Apple and Microsoft will try to compete in this space as well, but when Google Play has so many apps written, and Android has so much flexibility for manufacturers, I think it will be a losing battle for them. I'm sure they will wiggle their way in to become OEM head units (like Microsoft running Ford's crappy solution) but they will always lag behind. The true cutting edge will always be Android.

Think about what an Android OS in a head unit could do... It has a WiFi AP on it! You realize what you could do with that alone? You could now connect up standard 802.11 based wifi web cams to it, and then move them around your vehicle wherever you want! Put little suction cups on them to attach them, or maybe magnets to hook them to the undercarriage for that one time you need a camera in a certain spot underneath. As long as you can get power to the camera either via batteries or some type of 12v adapter, you could surround your vehicle with them. You could also give someone else a tablet in the car and have them connect to the wifi and then monitor different parts of the vehicle for you, or maybe tie in to the GPS if your back seat passengers wanted to have a map they could see and explore on their own. How about linking up Android units in different Jeeps while you're Jeeping, sharing GPS location so they show up on YOUR nav screen, complete with speed and magnetic heading, maybe even what THEIR engine temp and waste gate are doing (grin.)

Since it is running Android and has bluetooth, then a ton of bluetooth capable devices are going to come out. How about a bluetooth controlled front winch (if you're daring enough) or lighting control. Maybe AMP will add bluetooth to their powersteps brain so you can control the time delay of the powersteps or even just provide an indicator on the LCD if the steps are down or up.

Once vendors and manufacturers realize just what they've been given when someone has an Android powered head, with a WiFi AP and bluetooth, and probably NFC built in (plus ODB to the engines metrics) they are going to start to write more and more apps than we can imagine.

Very cool. Can't wait. Just need to buy one and then sell my 420N before everyone realizes what this will do and not want the 420N (or 720) any more and it becomes worthless.

ljvsnyder
09-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Guess what there is an app for just about everything you have listed. I am purchasing a Wi-Fi backup camera to use with my phone, and it would work with this head unit without issue. There are what I refer to as social gps programs out there. I agree android based head units are the future in stereos.