PDA

View Full Version : Yost 880-DI Versatile Combo Vise

JeepLab
09-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Here is another of our vise options, currently in testing.

Its the Yost 880DI

Its the largest of our tested vises, and the largest american made vise you will find around $400 on amazon.com. It is a combo vise like the others we have tested, with the largest capacity flat and pipe jaw'd vise. It has an 8 inch jaw and has up to a 12.5 inch capacity with its "flippable" outer jaw.

Another attribute we like is the replaceable jaws for both flat and pipe. When vise shopping, this vise shines in capacity and versatility, however, its a very large vise. If you have the space for it. Its a good option. If the large pipe capacity is a must, it might be your only option.

FLIPmeOVER
09-16-2014, 05:16 PM
I was going to ask about this. I use a large vise, and was going to mention this model specifically.

I don't have this one, but one that is an older model. I like that you can flip this one around for really big stock.

It makes that leatherman look like a bic lighter.

Pznivy
09-16-2014, 06:47 PM
It makes the leatherman look like a tic tac LOL.

I like the size of this vise for the money. im sure its the heaviest also. Yost makes good stuff.

JeepLab
09-23-2014, 12:05 PM
It makes the leatherman look like a tic tac LOL.

I like the size of this vise for the money. im sure its the heaviest also. Yost makes good stuff.

It is the heaviest, by a small margin, the performance of the handle is a little sloppier than the others in the price range. but you cannot match it for size and versatility at this price point.

is it a swiss watch? No.

Is it the best priced american vise available for large stock? Yes. And we are not aware of a competitor that is close.

JeepLab
10-09-2014, 04:38 PM
It is the heaviest, by a small margin, the performance of the handle is a little sloppier than the others in the price range. but you cannot match it for size and versatility at this price point.

is it a swiss watch? No.

Is it the best priced american vise available for large stock? Yes. And we are not aware of a competitor that is close.

Now ive used the vise finally, really used it. What i can say is that my original assessment is correct. In the $400 price range, this is the largest american made vise your going to find. Its versatility and capacity is unmatched for any vise we've seen in the price range, american or not.

Is the fit and finish the level of the wilton? no. Is it the ductile strength of the forged bessy? no. But it has advantages over both in its own arena. At $400, its got both beat on capacity. And with its reversable jaw its our winner in versatility. The 2 anvils we didnt much care about, as we couldnt find an application where we wished we had a second anvil, but for the purpose of using it as a shelf with the jaw flipped may come in handy.

Why consider any other vise in this price range? Well, first this vise is big. So if you dont need its full capacity, then its taking up valuable workbench space. If you are a stickler for "no slop" in the handle, this vise will leave you slightly unsatisfied, but when you compare that to the pros of this vise, the cons are almost silly.

Overall, we liked it a lot. Mounted it, drilled with it, cut with it. held large components with it. It grabs and holds, without slipping. We didnt hit anything with a hammer on it, but Im sure it would stand up to abuse. Im certain we will use it to bash something in the future.

Yoinkers
09-10-2015, 02:54 PM
I just bought this vise. Really nice. Best value for the money in my opinion.