PDA

View Full Version : Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer

JeepLab
09-25-2014, 06:37 PM
You all know my steering has been acting up in a way that needs immediate attention.

This is my first attempt to correct it. Its currently unsafe to drive my truck. She seems fine, but hit a bump while turning, and she freaks out, in a very scary way. Im planning to change all steering components, but I need to be able to drive her to a shop to do the rest of the work.

Im going to change the steering stabilizer in the driveway and then work my way into the rest of the changes.

I was opening the box for the stabilizer, figured you guys would want to see it.

JeepLab
09-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Here are the shots so far.

Thanks to Chris from Synergy MFG for walking me through the trouble shooting process. Synergy ball joint thread coming soon.

WhiteRavenRR
09-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Yeah I'm ready for this one. I need to upgrade mine soon. Since I run Fox Shocks this is what I will probably go to.

JeepLab
09-25-2014, 09:27 PM
There is one level past this one where the shock has the shaft move all the way through it. It was out of my budget tho.

Timmy
09-25-2014, 10:29 PM
There is one level past this one where the shock has the shaft move all the way through it. It was out of my budget tho.

Just remember my friend, upgrading the steering stabilizer just masks your real problem, it does not solve it. If you want to solve the real problem, take the stabilizer off all together and then troubleshoot which component it is that's worn down (or maybe a better way is to replace the parts you think are faulty AND THEN remove the stabilizer to confirm that you resolved the issue.)

When I replaced my steering stabilizer, it was the LAST part that I replaced, as I wanted to make sure I solved the problem first, and then put the stabilizer on to get me the steering feel I wanted.

Timmy
09-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks to Chris from Synergy MFG for walking me through the trouble shooting process. Synergy ball joint thread coming soon.

Just read this, glad to hear that he helped out so much, hopefully you guys were able to find the root cause.

ferrarifast
09-25-2014, 11:36 PM
Just read this, glad to hear that he helped out so much, hopefully you guys were able to find the root cause.

My TJ does this and every time is has come down to my tires being out of balance. Just an idea..

FF

JeepLab
09-26-2014, 10:21 AM
My TJ does this and every time is has come down to my tires being out of balance. Just an idea..

FF

Could it really be that simple? She drives fine all the rest of the time. Only when the tires are turned and I hit a bump does she loose composure, but when she does, I have to bring her to a complete stop.

WhiteRavenRR
09-26-2014, 06:40 PM
There is always a possibility that a weight came off at some point.

gbaumann
09-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Could it really be that simple? She drives fine all the rest of the time. Only when the tires are turned and I hit a bump does she loose composure, but when she does, I have to bring her to a complete stop.

The fact that you have to bring the truck to a stop once the wobble starts is concerning. A simple weight would be great. But it sounds like geometry.