PDA

View Full Version : Sprintex 3.6 pentastar install

Icheer4beer
10-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Let me start off by saying the post will be slow at first because I am visiting my parents in Costa Rica and I don't have access to my jeep or the desire to live on my tablet.

I am not sponsored by sprintex and chose their system because I enjoyed talking to their USA rep and their price crushed the competition. (military discount) I also am a fan of low end torque and according to the dyno charts that what their system provides.

My old ride was a 88 YJ. It had a 383 stroker in it and had scary amounts of power. The replacement is a 2012 JKU automatic with the 3.73 axle and 35 inch tires. Not a slug like a 2011, but not thrilling either.

Icheer4beer
10-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Initial thoughts: at first I wasn't impressed. The acceleration wasn't there and it was noisy. On day two my opinion changed. I actually gave it more than 20‰ throttle and I was impressed. I was used to my V8 that makes a lot of noisy when it goes. This doesn't. It just spins up and goes. My son says it sounds like a race car. You can hear the blower when you give it gas. It accelerates like a bat out of hell. I haven't given it full throttle yet. There has been no need to. I am at Highway speeds before I even hit the end of the on ramp.

I was worried that it would be loud at cruise speeds. It's is there but not bothersome at all. With the stereo going you can't even hear it.

Pros:
Wicked acceleration
Sounds cool
Power band is where I drive.
Cons:
Fuel economy - about 12-14 mpg. It was 16+.
Burns premium

I think the fuel economy will get better. The current program tends to have the transmission shift at 5k. I have noticed that I can tap the shift lever and make it shift at lower rpm which should help. I will track that more when I get home.

It is 5 o'clock. So we all know of what that means.

UselessPickles
10-24-2014, 08:09 PM
I haven't given it full throttle yet. There has been no need to.

There's definitely a need to use full throttle... a need for SPEED!

I used full throttle with my turbo about 10 minutes into my first drive :)

BTW, this is from Sprintex's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sprintexusa/photos/a.473498282763273.1073741840.441310775982024/641451329301300/?type=1

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10443296_641451329301300_2696268707416010909_n.jpg ?oh=ebcddf1e8365f78964ab953173ce5c98&oe=54ACB551

Boom! This is a stock Jeep on stock tires with a stock Sprintex Supercharger intercooled 3.6L system. 6spd, nearly full tank of gas.

JeepLab
10-25-2014, 03:50 PM
This is not my dyno, Sprintex sent it.

Worth a look.

Icheer4beer
10-25-2014, 06:01 PM
I have been a little gun shy with full throttle. On my YJ I was always afraid of busting my chain in my transfer case. I will get more comfortable with the power in the JK and exercise it higher throttle rates. I am taking it wheeling next weekend and hopefully mid month we should have some state side dyno sheets on it.

Rexx19
10-26-2014, 09:30 AM
There's definitely a need to use full throttle... a need for SPEED!

I used full throttle with my turbo about 10 minutes into my first drive :)

BTW, this is from Sprintex's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sprintexusa/photos/a.473498282763273.1073741840.441310775982024/641451329301300/?type=1

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10443296_641451329301300_2696268707416010909_n.jpg ?oh=ebcddf1e8365f78964ab953173ce5c98&oe=54ACB551

This is an incredible 0-60. What's the gear ratio? Id like to do some math on it.

Yoinkers
10-28-2014, 09:19 AM
This is an incredible 0-60. What's the gear ratio? Id like to do some math on it.

Must be a stripped down 2 door

bo9roadking
10-28-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm a little suspect of that dyno chart. There is no way a 2012+ stock Pentastar produces that much torque. According to that dyno, the factory torque at the wheel is 238 and the horse power is 194. Since Chrysler published 265 torque and 285 horse power numbers at the crank, I don't see how Sprintex's numbers add up. How does it only lose 27 torque, but loses 91 horsepower? Most dyno numbers that I've seen from Magnuson and RIPP are publishing stock torque numbers in the 175-185 range and horse power numbers between 175-200.

With that said, adjusting the Sprintex torque number downward so that it is similar to other stock dyno numbers that I've seen published, their final numbers after installing the supercharger are on par with Magnuson's numbers and close to RIPP's output. RIPP doesn't have the torque down low like Sprintex, but has higher overall numbers in the upper rpm band.

Yoinkers
10-28-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm a little suspect of that dyno chart. There is no way a 2012+ stock Pentastar produces that much torque. According to that dyno, the factory torque at the wheel is 238 and the horse power is 194. Since Chrysler published 265 torque and 285 horse power numbers at the crank, I don't see how Sprintex's numbers add up. How does it only lose 27 torque, but loses 91 horsepower? Most dyno numbers that I've seen from Magnuson and RIPP are publishing stock torque numbers in the 175-185 range and horse power numbers between 175-200.

With that said, adjusting the Sprintex torque number downward so that it is similar to other stock dyno numbers that I've seen published, their final numbers after installing the supercharger are on par with Magnuson's numbers and close to RIPP's output. RIPP doesn't have the torque down low like Sprintex, but has higher overall numbers in the upper rpm band.

I think the 0-60 may be too good to be true also. 4.9 is getting into real sports car territory. I'd like to see some info from someone other than sprintex.

Icheer4beer
11-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Tomorrow, if everything works out, we are taking the jeep wheeling.

It threw a check engine code yesterday and another one last night. The first one was a misfire and I haven't checked the other one yet. They (sprintex) were very quick to get back to me. Unfortunately, it's SEMA week and I told them I would be patient while it was going on.

I will try and take more pics tomorrow and I will let everyone know what code I am getting.

The computer is learning my driving and the shifting is getting better. Shifts around 3k now unless I am accelerating hard. Gas mileage is up around 16.

Overall, I am happy with it. Great acceleration, clean looking install, not too loud and fair price. If I keep getting codes, then my happiness will go down.

Icheer4beer
11-01-2014, 11:56 AM
I pulled the code and 30 minutes later I got a response from Sprintex. The code is associated with the fact I am not running stock exhaust. I have a Gibson dual exit exhaust. So far, I have been getting good customer service. They are going to send me another tune. I will continue to provide feedback for those of you sitting on the fence.

Gunner
11-01-2014, 12:55 PM
The twin screw is a pretty good setup. Do you notice much difference on around town driving? On Ramps, that kind of thing. The boost seems to come on right from the very bottom so I would imagine it has to feel like a much bigger motor.

2k13jk
11-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Post some pics up i want to see sprintexs setup. Also when does boost start to build in your setup cause id ve very weary of alot of boost low down being the engine cant push it out as effeciently as it can at higher rpm

Pznivy
11-01-2014, 06:29 PM
that misfire is troubling. keep us posted on weather you get that code again. Also, whats the year of the jeep?

(sorry if its posted already)

Gunner
11-01-2014, 06:45 PM
It's a 12 Auto with 3.73's and 35's I also just realized that these kits come with a Hypertech instead of a Diablo.

Pznivy
11-01-2014, 07:51 PM
It's a 12 Auto with 3.73's and 35's I also just realized that these kits come with a Hypertech instead of a Diablo.

what cylinder?

how early in 12 was it delivered? (head problems)

Icheer4beer
11-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Pics are coming. I am waiting for a little sun and warmth. I am installing new headlights either Monday or Tuesday and I will have the front grill off. I am not doing LED lights. My TIPM didn't like them at all and I was getting multiple electrical faults. I tried both the KC lights and quadratec lights.

I am not having any head problems. I only had the number 5 cylinder misfire once. It's been steady since.

The power comes on strong, but it's very manageable. I don't usually drive in the upper rpm bands. I like to keep it below 4k. The power feels like my old V8. Not quite as powerful but there is no spike in power. It just flows as needed. So, it is a very capable daily driver as long as you can deal with the gas mileage.

The tuner is a Diablo also.

Icheer4beer
11-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Here are some pictures:

JeepLab
11-02-2014, 05:22 PM
I am not having any head problems. I only had the number 5 cylinder misfire once. It's been steady since.

Great pics. thank you for them.

With regard to someone mentioning possible head problems. I think that the tell tale sign of a faulty head, (wich many 2012s had) is a cylinder 2 misfire. Thats why the guy asked what cylinder you had the misfire in.

Its not a shot at the power mod, its just that lots of 12s had head problems to the point that dealerships were replacing them under warranty. It seems like ancient history now, but in 2012, it seemed like it was all we were talking about. Ticking pentastars with head problems.

BB is an early pentastar. I received her Jan of 12. She was the first RIPP supercharged pentastar jeep, not owned by RIPP. People thought I was crazy letting RIPP put a blower on it with the head problems that were rampant at the time. Not all Jeeps had the problem, but if you did have the parts that were getting replaced, a blower might force a head problem.

If you did have the problem, (im not saying you do), the misfire code will pop again, not the next day, might be a while. If you see it again, then you will want to investigate further.

probably nothing to worry about. Back to sprintex!

Icheer4beer
11-02-2014, 05:46 PM
I had heard about the '12 head problems. Luckily no ticking Pre or post charging. Sprintex just sent me a tune because of the aftermarket exhaust. I will give it a run tomorrow and provide feedback afterwards.

Again, my only negative feedback is 12 mpg Highway. I have no problem burning premium. I knew that going into the project. I wanted to at least be close to were I started.

Icheer4beer
11-03-2014, 04:39 PM
The new tune has been installed and driven. Low end surge is all but gone. Shift points are where I like them and gas mileage is up to 15. That mileage was half of the old tune so not sure what I am getting now, but is definitely better than the old one. Full throttle ping is gone also.

I really like the fact that I never feel the supercharger kick in. I have driven turbos before and you had to wait for the power. Not anymore. The power is there from off the line to the top of my comfort zone. I don't worry about passing or merging in traffic. In responds like a sports sedan.

JeepLab
11-03-2014, 10:07 PM
The new tune has been installed and driven. Low end surge is all but gone. Shift points are where I like them and gas mileage is up to 15. That mileage was half of the old tune so not sure what I am getting now, but is definitely better than the old one. Full throttle ping is gone also.

I really like the fact that I never feel the supercharger kick in. I have driven turbos before and you had to wait for the power. Not anymore. The power is there from off the line to the top of my comfort zone. I don't worry about passing or merging in traffic. In responds like a sports sedan.

A word about mileage. Ignore that mileage on your dash. When you calculate mileage, fill your tank and set the odometer to zero.

Then let it run through the tank completely.

Then fill back up. If its 20 gallons on the second fill up, you divide the odometer by the gallons.

So if you got 300 miles, on 20 gallons, You got 15 MPG.

Only real way to see what your getting.

(assuming your tires are set correctly with your diablo unit, dont get me started about how many of us are wrong about that, your nav should match your odometer. But you need a long drive to be absolutley sure)

Great thread! Carry on!

Gunner
11-04-2014, 01:39 AM
Great news about the shifting. Thats has been a problem on all the autos for everyone. If they have it fixed they have a sweet system going.

Icheer4beer
11-04-2014, 07:56 AM
The fuel mileage quoted is the old fashioned way of miles driven by fuel to top off. The instrument cluster reads much less.

It seems to shift like stock now. Overall I am very happy with the system.

I am going to wash it today and I install the new headlights. will take better pics of the intercooler.

JeepLab
11-04-2014, 10:48 AM
The fuel mileage quoted is the old fashioned way of miles driven by fuel to top off. The instrument cluster reads much less.

Well done!

the reason i assumed that you used the dash was because you stated earlier that you were getting 12 MPG before then 15 now. Your MPG shouldn't swing that much unless your driving conditions changed from one tank to another.

(like one tank was all town, and the other was all highway)

Gunner
11-04-2014, 02:16 PM
I think the only thing left is to see if it shifts normally at full throttle. if it does then they really do have a handle on the tune up.

switz
11-04-2014, 04:01 PM
The shifting issue is huge and a game changer for them if it is true. All the horror stories from RIPP and Mag owners will make me sit on the sidelines. This information is a game changer for me if they get CARB approval. Keep us informed.

Icheer4beer
11-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Not to be ignorant, but what shift problems are the other units having? I thought it was a surging issue. I would expect that if I was to go full throttle the shift points would move up to around 6k. I will try and go max blast tomorrow.

Yoinkers
11-04-2014, 04:33 PM
The problem others have had, is that the trans won't shift at all when you floor it. You would need to lift off the gas for the auto to shift.

Super pain in the neck if you ask me. with a blower, you want to keep the air moving, when you lift off, you lose what you built.

Icheer4beer
11-04-2014, 04:44 PM
I give it a try tomorrow and let you know.

Icheer4beer
11-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Under full throttle it has no problem shifting. It shifts around 6.2 all the way up to 80. And honestly it feels as fast as my old 77 Porsche 930.

bo9roadking
11-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Sounds like Sprintex has figured out the auto transmission. Magnuson is still trying to get the auto shifting resolved. With the latest tune that I have, the transmission will shift on its own at about 3k rpm from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd is about 4.5k rpm, and the other gears are at about 3k rpm. I can manually upshift at a lower rpm or let off the gas slightly to shift sooner if I want. Wide open throttle shifts just prior to redline on its own unless I manually upshift.

I can live with the way it shifts around town, but it definitely doesn't shift like it did when it was stock. My main problem with this tune is that my overdrive is almost useless. On level ground or downhill, overdrive works. Any incline that requires throttle input to maintain speed will kick the transmission down to 4th gear and it will stay there for a long time unless I manually upshift it. There are some sections of the interstate that I have to deal with higher rpms in 4th gear because manually upshifting only lasts for a few seconds and then it downshifts back to 4th on its own. If I continue to manually force the transmission into overdrive, it will shift up and then back down as soon as I manually upshift like a yo-yo. I live in Texas and the interstate is not in the mountains or any hilly terrain. I'm talking elevation changes of maybe 20-30 feet. If I hold the gas pedal and don't try to maintain highway speed, the transmission will stay in overdrive, but I'll lose about 5mph in the process. If I press the gas pedal to maintain speed, it drops out of overdrive.

For a power adder, I would think the extra hp/tq of the SC would cause the transmission to downshift out of overdrive less often instead of more often than it did when it was stock because the extra power would keep things moving without requiring a transmission shift. Magnuson has been working on a new tune for over two weeks, but SEMA has slowed down progress. Hopefully I'll get better results with the next tune.

Gunner
11-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Sounds to me like there is a winner here for automatics.

Gunner
11-07-2014, 12:26 PM
I just talked to the Sprintex Guys. I think that I am going to be buying one of these for my Jeep. This is exactly what I was hoping for. A twin screw.

Yoinkers
11-13-2014, 08:39 PM
I just talked to the Sprintex Guys. I think that I am going to be buying one of these for my Jeep. This is exactly what I was hoping for. A twin screw.

WHOA! You are just the guy to do it. Gunner is the jeep that was gonna do the top speed run right? (crazy, but i like your style)

FieryRobot
11-26-2014, 07:11 PM
New member here. Very happy to hear this about the Sprintex. I have been researching superchargers for what seems like forever at this point. That might be enough to push me over the edge. I like the looks of that RIPP intercooler, but the install seems more invasive.

My search has gone something like this: "I think I want the RIPP, looks hot!" "Hmm. What about this Sprintex? Install seems neater" "Oh, hey, there's a Magnuson, similar to Sprintex, but seems to have issues still", "What? A turbo!? Power! But lag (I don't care what anyone says). And still more invasive and I don't know if I can deal with exhaust leaks." "I really like that RIPP. Maybe that's where I'll end up" "Oh, the Sprintex has solved the shifting issues?!"

Needless to say, it's been tough to keep track of all of the pros/cons of all of these systems. Thankfully I've found the threads on wrangler forum and here to help me sort this out.

Pznivy
11-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Sounds like Sprintex has figured out the auto transmission.

^^ This i do not buy. They always talk like this when no one has the unit. they love to say "We've solved all the problems that the other SC companies have struggled with for years". No one should believe that. A power mod has too many variables for it to be perfect, in your area, on your gas, on your jeep.

They need a bunch of jeeps everywhere installed and logging to get enough data to make the tune perfect. It takes a long time. JL had the first pentastar RIPP, they will agree with this. JG had the first turbo, and Prodigy said their tune was perfect. It wasnt.

Only when a few people NOT attached to sprintex confirm its perfect would I believe it.

Gunner
11-27-2014, 11:52 PM
It really looks like everyone has some sort of problem. I drive most of the time with a light throttle and below 3000 rpm. Mine is an auto. I think if I want to be safe the Ripp is the way to go. But if I want bottom end then I want a screw. I wish the Maggie was more sorted out. I love the scream they make when you kick them in the pants. I'm still deciding but yeah I am gonna do a speed run. I just don't know how high I will go.

Icheer4beer
11-28-2014, 08:54 AM
I am not associated with sprintex at all. I am a pilot for United Airlines. Sprintex is not perfect. As for the transmission problems. I really don't have any. If I go max blast it does shift by itself. Sometimes if I am just driving I do force the shift. I am trying to converse gas and I want the shift points where I want them. It's a personality defect.

Gas mileage has settled down to 14-15 mpg combined. If I gun it a lot it goes down to 12.

The only negative is that it does not like the cold. If temp is below freezing and I don't let it warm up for a couple I might have a misfire. If I let it warm up, there is no problem.

Why did I go with sprintex? Saved over a grand on the other systems and low end torque. It also looks good.

FieryRobot
11-28-2014, 11:09 AM
I think if I want to be safe the Ripp is the way to go.

Has RIPP also figured out the auto shifting? The instructions I got from them a while back state you need to lift to shift during heavy acceleration.

• Automatic transmission: Auto transmissions may not up shift at full throttle when driving in “D” (drive) mode, THIS IS a Direct product of OEM programming and not the provided tuning. In order to shift at full throttle, end users may either “lift to shift” by raising the accelerator slightly (partially). RIPP makes no claims as to the reliability of the transmission with the supercharger installed.

That was from months ago, so it's possible this has changed. The last line, while I understand is a CYA statement, also worries me a bit.

Gunner
11-28-2014, 02:56 PM
It seems like some people have no problem with the ripp and a few do. I think it is maybe the lift,weight, tires,gears combination that is a problem. The Jeep Canbus system is a total booger and the trans computer is diabolical. I am not sure what the answer is other than I was some sort of boost on my jeep. And right now I am just not sure who I want. The Ripp has the best track record overall in the industry and they use the Vortec head unit which is pretty solid. The Maggie and Edelbrock use the TVS1320 blower from Eaton which is a good unit. I would love to see the boost curves from all these units laid into one graph.

2k13jk
11-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Are you running an automatic or manual

Rexx19
11-28-2014, 05:38 PM
It seems like some people have no problem with the ripp and a few do. I think it is maybe the lift,weight, tires,gears combination that is a problem. The Jeep Canbus system is a total booger and the trans computer is diabolical. I am not sure what the answer is other than I was some sort of boost on my jeep. And right now I am just not sure who I want. The Ripp has the best track record overall in the industry and they use the Vortec head unit which is pretty solid. The Maggie and Edelbrock use the TVS1320 blower from Eaton which is a good unit. I would love to see the boost curves from all these units laid into one graph.

Can anyone confirm that they have a AUTO RIPP unit and do not have to lift to shift?

Gunner
11-28-2014, 11:31 PM
I have an auto.. Ross said that Ripps boss has an auto and that it shifts fine. I am going to look to see just how many I can find that are autos and doing good.

I didn't want to hijack the sprintec thread so I am going to post in the ripp one.

rgeorge33
12-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Thanks for this thread... Because of the positive information regarding the tune and drivability with the Sprintex 3.6 unit, I bought one today. I have a 2014 unlimited rubicon with an auto, so I'll be sure to follow-up with how well everything works. I'm pretty excited. I strongly considered a Motech V8 installation, but the price of the Sprintex made it a course of action worth exploring.

Speaking of the Ripp, I've read up on it and for a light weight sports car that lives in the upper RPM range, I think centrifugal superchargers are great. However, in a big, heavy SUV, I think the twin screw roots type blowers have a definite advantage. The off-idle power was a huge consideration for me. The peak power figures for the Ripp are very impressive, but not practical for my driving style.

2k13jk
12-05-2014, 08:03 PM
But remember an engine with a roots style blower like magnuson forcing boost in the engine at that low rpm it cant go anywere forcing more stress on the engine

Yoinkers
12-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Thanks for this thread... Because of the positive information regarding the tune and drivability with the Sprintex 3.6 unit, I bought one today. I have a 2014 unlimited rubicon with an auto, so I'll be sure to follow-up with how well everything works. I'm pretty excited. I strongly considered a Motech V8 installation, but the price of the Sprintex made it a course of action worth exploring.

has anyone actually installed and tested this thing? Do they guarantee that there will be no "lift to shift" problem? I mean really publicly guarantee it?

rgeorge33, please keep us informed about whats really going on. keep in mind, you are a poineer of this unit.

rgeorge33
12-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I was going off the original poster's comments. I don't think Sprintex has made any guarantees about the shifting. I'll report what I find, but I think the original poster's comments are very encouraging. My primary concern is the drivability on a normal basis. However, I'll let you know about the shift behavior once I get it installed and properly tuned.

FieryRobot
12-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Keep in mind that the lift-to-shift issue (at least in RIPPs case) is only during "heavy acceleration". I know I don't do too much of that, and honestly, the stock tuning has this issue at times.

rgeorge33
12-05-2014, 08:53 PM
But remember an engine with a roots style blower like magnuson forcing boost in the engine at that low rpm it cant go anywere forcing more stress on the engine

I haven't heard of any durability problems with the pentastar yet. However, I certainly understand what you're saying. From some of the articles I've read from around the time the pentastar was released (2012), it seems that the motor was engineered to be reliable under forced induction situations. I guess I'll find out... Possibly the hard way.

rgeorge33
12-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Keep in mind that the lift-to-shift issue (at least in RIPPs case) is only during "heavy acceleration". I know I don't do too much of that, and honestly, the stock tuning has this issue at times.

That's a great point. I'm looking at the Sprintex solution to increase the power under the entire curve... especially the lower RPMs. I don't foresee myself bouncing the pentastar off the rev limiter too frequently.

UselessPickles
12-05-2014, 09:54 PM
I don't foresee myself bouncing the pentastar off the rev limiter too frequently.

Why not? That's where the fun happens. I approach the rev limiter at least a couple of times every day :)

JeepLab
12-06-2014, 01:06 AM
I haven't heard of any durability problems with the pentastar yet. However, I certainly understand what you're saying. From some of the articles I've read from around the time the pentastar was released (2012), it seems that the motor was engineered to be reliable under forced induction situations. I guess I'll find out... Possibly the hard way.

Ive already rolled these dice, and did things with forced induction when testing BB that a very rare few will ever put their jeeps thru. I'm pretty sure you're fine.

JeepLab
12-06-2014, 01:07 AM
Why not? That's where the fun happens. I approach the rev limiter at least a couple of times every day :)

x2 I go to the limit regularly also. Once you get some punch up there....you'll find excuses.

Icheer4beer
12-06-2014, 05:49 AM
I am flying today and I will respond to some of these questions. I love my jeep and it drives great. Love the low end torque. Mileage is getting better. When people say lift to shift. Are they talking about the accelerator or the taping the Shifter?

FieryRobot
12-06-2014, 10:30 AM
I am flying today and I will respond to some of these questions. I love my jeep and it drives great. Love the low end torque. Mileage is getting better. When people say lift to shift. Are they talking about the accelerator or the taping the Shifter?

Long vertical pedal. :-)

rgeorge33
12-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Long vertical pedal. :-)

Yep... Lifting the throttle just long enough to allow the transmission to shift!

ICHEER4BEER, I look forward to anymore comments or lessons learned from your experience so far. Once I receive the blower, I'll be doing the install. Any tips for the install and tuning process would be appreciated as well.

FieryRobot
12-06-2014, 03:52 PM
And if yours goes well, rgeorge33, I may also bite the bullet on this.

Icheer4beer
12-06-2014, 05:03 PM
I never have to lift the accelerator. Sometimes if I want to shift a little earlier I just tap the Shifter. For the most part it shifts where I want it too. I don't go blast all the time. When I do the mileage drops to 12. I have more than enough power with light throttle to get going and I never worry about a merge.

The only draw back is that it's doesn't like the cold. I let the engine warm up now until the idle comes down and I don't have any problems with surging or misfires like I did when I just started it and went.

I had the jeep dealer install it for me since I sold my house and didn't have a garage. The install plus the actual purchase price was still less than the RIPP. I made the right decision.

FieryRobot
12-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Cool. Yeah, I just want to be able to do simple things, like, you know, merge onto the highway and pass people without yelling "GO!". And I tow a trailer about once a month, so this will help there. I just am concerned about transmission temps during towing with a SC, so I'm getting some gauges to see what my temps are now vs. later.

Timmy
12-07-2014, 01:57 PM
New member here. Very happy to hear this about the Sprintex. I have been researching superchargers for what seems like forever at this point. That might be enough to push me over the edge. I like the looks of that RIPP intercooler, but the install seems more invasive.

My search has gone something like this: "I think I want the RIPP, looks hot!" "Hmm. What about this Sprintex? Install seems neater" "Oh, hey, there's a Magnuson, similar to Sprintex, but seems to have issues still", "What? A turbo!? Power! But lag (I don't care what anyone says). And still more invasive and I don't know if I can deal with exhaust leaks." "I really like that RIPP. Maybe that's where I'll end up" "Oh, the Sprintex has solved the shifting issues?!"

Needless to say, it's been tough to keep track of all of the pros/cons of all of these systems. Thankfully I've found the threads on wrangler forum and here to help me sort this out.

Fiery... I had to laugh at your post because I'm in EXACTLY the same spot. I heard about RIPP first, wanted RIPP first. Then I heard about Magnuson, and then SC seemed better, never needed maintenance. Then I heard about the turbos. Then I saw all the work involved in installing the turbos and thought "I like Mag SC better." Then I started hearing about all the shifting issues and other little issues with Mag (I have a std. transmission, so it doesn't affect me, but it does speak about the company behind the product." Then I kept coming back to RIPP thinking, their President has certainly come out numerous times saying that above all, they wanted a great _driving_ Jeep, and they had put hundreds of thousands of miles on their SC to get everything dialed in, but then I heard they also had shifting issues. Near I hear about Sprintex and I'm thinking "I should probably research into this one!"

The part that really cracks me up is when is Jeep going to open their eyes and realize that the aftermarket for SC/Turbo is going wild right now, so there is clearly a market for a 350+HP Wrangler, and THEY should make that! Shoot, they could just take their exact same 3.6L, partner with one of these guys and dial in the tune, and then slap it on with Chrysler SKU/logo on it and sell it for $10k more from the factory with a warranty!

Either way, like I said, I'm in the same boat as you... So many options, and I keep bouncing between them all.

ljvsnyder
12-09-2014, 03:35 PM
I believe chrysler maybe listening to you Timmy. http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/fuel-economy/chrysler-to-add-turbos-direct-injection-to-pentastar-v-6-range/ar-BBgw3gQ

gbaumann
12-10-2014, 12:09 PM
The part that really cracks me up is when is Jeep going to open their eyes and realize that the aftermarket for SC/Turbo is going wild right now, so there is clearly a market for a 350+HP Wrangler, and THEY should make that! Shoot, they could just take their exact same 3.6L, partner with one of these guys and dial in the tune, and then slap it on with Chrysler SKU/logo on it and sell it for $10k more from the factory with a warranty!

Either way, like I said, I'm in the same boat as you... So many options, and I keep bouncing between them all.

There is currently a 404bhp version of the pentastar block out there sleeved down to 3.0L dressed in heads made by Ferrari and coupled with twin turbochargers. Here's an excerpt form a September 2014 article:

How would you feel if you learned that the Ferrari-designed V6 engine mounted on your Maserati was built by Chrysler in one of its Detroit plants? Not so good, I assume.

Well, the truth is, workers at Chrysler Group’s Trenton Engine Complex in suburban Detroit have been machining aluminum 3.0-liter V6 gasoline engine blocks starting this summer under the supervision of Ferrari engineers.

The blocks, which are cast in Chrysler’s foundry in Kokomo, Indiana, are then being shipped to Ferrari’s plant in Maranello, Italy, where they are finished and given the final inspection before installation into Maserati Quattroporte and Ghibli sedans. The decision was taken because European supplier Weber Automotive GmbH couldn’t cope with increasing demand for the engine.

It’s the first time that Chrysler has had a contribution in producing engines for Fiat’s luxury brands. Chrysler is currently machining about 50 engine blocks per day for Maserati and will soon expand that to 80.

“It’s been a real opportunity for us to learn what it means to work on high-performance engines," Brian Harlow, global head of powertrain manufacturing engineering for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles told Automotive News. "The level of quality is just supreme. We’re going to benefit on our standard engines just because we’re working on this smaller engine on a higher level.”

However, the executive wanted to reassure customers there’s no difference in quality from European-built engines.

"It’s a sensitive thing. We’re Chrysler; they’re Ferrari and Maserati. In no way do we want to impact in any negative way the image of either of those. We wanted to make sure we were getting it right, and we did. There’s only one standard which we go by, and that’s the Ferrari standard. They do not compromise,” Harlow said.

I'm glad the executive went out of his way to reassure Maserati consumers that the engine blocks don't fall below the European standards. Ferrari doesn't compromise. It leaves me to wonder what the standard is for Chrysler? Does Chrysler compromise?

Therein lies the reason why, IMHO, Chrysler can't partner with an aftermarket forced induction mfg or freely share their calibration code. If you're going to make it an option then you need to design the engine for the boost (reduce displacement and increase cylinder wall/sleeve thickness and improve head to deck contact or o-ring the heads, etc.). The Pentastar will get forced induction from the factory but it will be a somewhat different engine from ours.

Timmy
12-10-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm glad the executive went out of his way to reassure Maserati consumers that the engine blocks don't fall below the European standards. Ferrari doesn't compromise. It leaves me to wonder what the standard is for Chrysler? Does Chrysler compromise?

Haha, yeah, I caught that part too, and that made me laugh.

Timmy
12-10-2014, 12:42 PM
I believe chrysler maybe listening to you Timmy. http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/fuel-economy/chrysler-to-add-turbos-direct-injection-to-pentastar-v-6-range/ar-BBgw3gQ

This makes me happy! And it makes me MAD! Seriously, two products, only two products in the next year or two will have forced induction? AND, the WORST part!!! One of them will be a flippin Mini-VAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh please... I swear, if my Wrangler gets smoked by a front wheel drive, factory installed turbo mini-van, I'm bound to run over them when I finally catch them.

Is this not typical Chrysler. I can just see the conversation with the marketing team.

CEO: "We're thinking of dropping a turbo on to our Pentastar line of engines, do you have a vehicle model in particular you'd like us to focus on that you feel will really get the market buzzing, establish who we are as Chrysler?"

Marketing: "Well, I think we could make some really funny commercials about a mini-van out-running other vehicles between stop lights to the soccer fields!"

CEO: "Oh, I like that, that would be funny, the industry is going to go nuts over this, great idea, let's drop it in a van... Pay raises for you all!!! Nice job team."

Blahk! Yucky, yucky, yucky decision... Why don't they just recommend that Ferrari build a mini-van then...

ljvsnyder
12-10-2014, 02:20 PM
But look at this way Timmy, retrofitting that turbo charged minivan engine into your JK won't be that difficult. And since these minivans will be driven by women, I am sure you will be able to pick up an engine at the junk yard after she flips it swerving to miss that squirrel.

In all seriousness, I read it that they are looking at something along the lines of an ecoboost engine setup for the pentestar engines.

UselessPickles
12-10-2014, 02:26 PM
I bet the turbo pentastar in the minivan will be a 3.2 with a small turbo, setup for low rpm spooling and a flat torque curve that is close to the performance level of the N/A 3.6, but with better fuel economy.

But OEM turbo systems use electronically-controlled wastegates, so that that means it will be easy for a custom tune to increase boost and get a big increase in low/mid-rpm torque. With small OEM turbos, the turbo starts choking at higher rpms when you try increasing boost, so that's why custom tunes on OEM turbo engines generally only give big gains at low/mid rpms.

gbaumann
12-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Here's your first opportunity. A wrecked Maserati 3.0L. If you look hard you can see the pentastar in there. Notice how Ferrari changed the heads to include real exhaust manifolds. Look how they tucked the trubos in there. This would easily fit in a jeep.

Now look at the two blocks below. First is 3.2 by pentastar rumored to be receiving Chrysler forced induction. Notice how nicely cast and machined the decks are and how much cylinder wall is between the cylinders. Next is the block posted by Prodigy on their facebook page. WTF is going on here? Where's the QA/QC? IMHO cylinder #2 is not up for forced induction. The contact surface and gasket area is reduced by poor looking casting and finishing. Too much chamfering to clean up the casting. Just a guess but I'd like to believe that if the second block came out of casting at Ferrari it would have gone back to the furnace.

UselessPickles
12-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I think you're trying to extract more detail than can be properly represented in a slightly out-of-focus photo of a used, stripped down and cleaned up engine block, with compression artifacts from facebook's resizing and higher-than-original JPEG compression. Looking back at the highest resolution image that facebook will display, most of what you circled just looks like smudges/residue from gasket material or other contaminants that found their way onto the metal either from use or from disassembly.

The only section that looks like it is chamfered is the left-most edge in the left-most circle. That is just part of the water jacket around the cylinder, and would have no impact on quality of seal between the cylinder and head gasket.

FLIPmeOVER
12-10-2014, 09:10 PM
So the pentastar was born in a maserati?

gbaumann
12-10-2014, 10:15 PM
So the pentastar was born in a maserati?

No. Maserati uses a Pentastar block and lower end. Pentastar was born out of the Daimler-Chrysler merger that has since been undone.

gbaumann
12-10-2014, 11:43 PM
I think you're trying to extract more detail than can be properly represented in a slightly out-of-focus photo of a used, stripped down and cleaned up engine block, with compression artifacts from facebook's resizing and higher-than-original JPEG compression. Looking back at the highest resolution image that facebook will display, most of what you circled just looks like smudges/residue from gasket material or other contaminants that found their way onto the metal either from use or from disassembly.

The only section that looks like it is chamfered is the left-most edge in the left-most circle. That is just part of the water jacket around the cylinder, and would have no impact on quality of seal between the cylinder and head gasket.

I think you're right Pickles. Most if the gunk follows the head gasket.

And it looks like the mechanic cleaned the deck with a heavy hand. My concern, ultimately, is my inability to have confidence in the power plant. When i'm into boost at WOT up around 5500 rpm and higher i can't escape the thought that something is going to break any second. And unlike the manual trans guys I don't get boost until i'm in that range b/c the pcm forces downshifts all the way to second gear regardless of speed. So i'm screaming at WOT when the supercharger bypass closes.

Seriously, when all the parts are in for my hemi swap i'm going to drive with my supercharger and not intervene by lifting my foot and cutting boost. I'll do that for a few thousand miles and donate the motor to the "lab" for a teardown and inspection.

UselessPickles
12-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Boost at higher rpms is actually safer than boost at low rpms. With my manual transmission, I intentionally downshift to get into higher rpms and put the throttle down to the floor all the way to 6500 rpm. I've been doing that a couple times a day for the past 6 months and ~6,000 miles, including two very abusive weekends on the sand dunes. Staying in a higher gear, lower rpms, and trying to accelerate hard would both be more strenuous on the engine, and be less effective at accomplishing the goal of accelerating quickly.

Quit worrying, put the pedal to the floor, keep it there, and enjoy :)

rgeorge33
12-11-2014, 09:01 PM
I received my Sprintex supercharger Tuesday evening and will install this weekend. The kit looks good and very complete. I went ahead and did a couple of preparatory tasks to get ready. I labeled all of the misc. formed hoses, so I wouldn't have to dig through them during the install. I also trimmed the hood insulation and repositioned the auto transmission dipstick as indicated in the instructions. The last thing, and most significant, is that I connected the Diablosport Intune that is supplied with the kit to calibrate the ecm.... I'm glad I did. There was an issue with the tune not being "calibrated" to my ecm. I have a newer 2014, so the code wasn't updated yet to account for the new ecm calibration. However, Gary with Sprintex and Mike with Diablosport were quick to address the situation and everything appears good at this point. Mike was especially helpful and very responsive. So far, so good...

I plan to take some pictures along the way and I'll post my thoughts when I'm done. I'm pretty excited. More to follow...

JeepLab
12-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Seriously, when all the parts are in for my hemi swap i'm going to drive with my supercharger and not intervene by lifting my foot and cutting boost. I'll do that for a few thousand miles and donate the motor to the "lab" for a teardown and inspection.

^^That would be an AWESOME thread.

I would have to say tho, Ive pounded on the pentastar a LOT. I think it may surprise you when you try to blow it up.

PS. give me the when and where on the hemi. I want to come see that. Or we could go completely nuts and put a supercharged LS7 in it.. How deep are your pockets?

JeepLab
12-11-2014, 11:41 PM
I received my Sprintex supercharger Tuesday evening and will install this weekend. The kit looks good and very complete. I went ahead and did a couple of preparatory tasks to get ready. I labeled all of the misc. formed hoses, so I wouldn't have to dig through them during the install. I also trimmed the hood insulation and repositioned the auto transmission dipstick as indicated in the instructions. The last thing, and most significant, is that I connected the Diablosport Intune that is supplied with the kit to calibrate the ecm.... I'm glad I did. There was an issue with the tune not being "calibrated" to my ecm. I have a newer 2014, so the code wasn't updated yet to account for the new ecm calibration. However, Gary with Sprintex and Mike with Diablosport were quick to address the situation and everything appears good at this point. Mike was especially helpful and very responsive. So far, so good...

I plan to take some pictures along the way and I'll post my thoughts when I'm done. I'm pretty excited. More to follow...

PICS MAN! pics of everything! If you have a cat, we want a pic of MR. Wiskers sitting on the SC box! PICS! AAAARRRGHH!

Gunner
12-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Very cool. I am interested in the auto shifting and dropping out of OD on little hills.

FieryRobot
12-12-2014, 12:53 AM
And I am interested in seeing Mr. Whiskers.

Gunner
12-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Can't forget the boss

Yoinkers
12-12-2014, 10:59 AM
And I am interested in seeing Mr. Whiskers.

X3 on Mr. Wiskers. And that Supercharger.

JeepLab
12-12-2014, 10:56 PM
****MODERATED****

gbaumann's post was here a minute ago, It was about his Mag supercharger and his plan for a hemi swap. Its a good topic but too far off sprintex, so I "New Threaded" it. Its now "SuperCharger to HEMI transition"

http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?217-SuperCharger-to-HEMI-Transition

rgeorge33
12-14-2014, 07:35 PM
Here's an account of the install and some pictures, which are apparently a hard requirement for this Forum.;)

I started Friday evening and finished up Saturday evening. I did take several breaks though... Everything came apart pretty easily. The only annoyance I encountered was when draining the cooling system. There's a point to attach a hose to drain neatly, but all of the coolant seemed to just poor out of the valve, rather than the drain. Oh well, I did capture some in the bucket, but there was a lot on the floor.

I had everything removed and ready to begin install when I quit Friday night. Installing the Sprintex unit was a pretty tedious task. Most of it went smoothly. There are some bolts on the back side that are a bear to get to though. I put the Supercharger on mid morning Saturday and had the install complete by around 6. Now for the bad news. After starting the engine with the stock tune just to check belt alignment and top off coolant. It idled smoothly, but of course it threw a few codes. Again... It was the stock tune, so I expected that. After that I plugged in the Diablosport tuner and it went through the process of backing up the original tune and writing the Sprintex tune.

Unfortunately that's where the events took a downturn. After writing the new tune, my Jeep won't start at all. I've emailed Mike with Diablosport and Gary with Sprintex. I got a very prompt, but short, reply from Mike today asking me for more information. I messaged him back around noon, but I'm sure I won't hear back from him again until the beginning of the week. I don't expect him to work on a Sunday. Oh well, I rented a fancy little Hyundai Accent to drive this week until the Jeep is sorted. Now for pictures...

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4705_zps6668dec5.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4705_zps6668dec5.jpg.html)
The new parts in the box.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4713_zpse76fba0d.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4713_zpse76fba0d.jpg.html)
Everything removed and ready for the install.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4715_zps5c4a25cd.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4715_zps5c4a25cd.jpg.html)
New heater hoses installed and routed around the driver's side. The intercooler hoses go to the passenger side, so space is limited over there. It makes sense that they changed the routing.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4716_zpsf8586b78.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4716_zpsf8586b78.jpg.html)
Intake studs installed and wiring adjusted so the harness will be behind the supercharger.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4718_zpsc28af2ed.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4718_zpsc28af2ed.jpg.html)
The bottom side of the assembly. It's made of metal, whereas the upper is made of the same composite that the stock manifold is made of. The blower is obviously metal, as well.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4721_zps89b4546d.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4721_zps89b4546d.jpg.html)
The bottom of the blower and intercooler. (Upper manifold assembly)

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4724_zps8c54ef6d.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4724_zps8c54ef6d.jpg.html)
The lower assembly installed.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4726_zps3938a307.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4726_zps3938a307.jpg.html)
The upper assembly installed. Tightening the fasteners on the backside removed much of the soft tissue from my knuckles...

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4729_zpsa9df913c.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4729_zpsa9df913c.jpg.html)
The front support bracket with pulleys in place.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4733_zps8a6d378b.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4733_zps8a6d378b.jpg.html)
The cooler attached and plumbed.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4736_zpsf853822b.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4736_zpsf853822b.jpg.html)

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4737_zps6d4b3b6e.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4737_zps6d4b3b6e.jpg.html)
The completed install.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4738_zps6124d808.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4738_zps6124d808.jpg.html)
The cooler is very close to the grill, but it all fits.

And now... The part you've all waited for... Mr. Whiskers, or in this case, Magnus the bulldog. :cool:

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a413/rgeorge33/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4703_zpsecdeab1b.jpg (http://s1033.photobucket.com/user/rgeorge33/media/Jeep/Sprintex/IMG_4703_zpsecdeab1b.jpg.html)

Icheer4beer
12-14-2014, 10:18 PM
The fact that they are in Australia is a negative. The turn times on the tunes can be a problem. My first Diablo tuner was bad. Because of the time difference it took longer than expected to get my first tune installed. Everything went to Hell on a Thursday and wasn't fixed until Monday. Luckily, I was on a trip and the dealer had a bay tied up, I didn't miss any additional jeep time. Once you finially get the tune installed you will be amazed at the difference. I did get a subsequent tune within 12 hours after I changed my exhaust. That was mid week though.

JeepLab
12-14-2014, 11:51 PM
im sorry if this was mentioned, i missed it if it was.

does the intake obstruct the oil filter?

rgeorge33
12-15-2014, 07:58 PM
im sorry if this was mentioned, i missed it if it was.

does the intake obstruct the oil filter?

You would not have to take the intake tube (between the air box and throttle body) off, but it would certainly be easier. I have to change my oil in a few hundred miles, so I'll let you know with certainty at that point. Even if I have to take the intake tube off, it's only two clamps and a harness for the IAT sensor.

FieryRobot
12-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Any word on your tune woes?

rgeorge33
12-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Any word on your tune woes?

Nope... I'm getting pretty frustrated. Up to this point, it's been all diagnostic. There has been plenty of email back and forth, but nothing of consequence. We found that the MAP sensor that came with the kit was not working correctly, but it is still idling (barely idling... more like laughing and hacking) pig rich. It won't go into gear without dying. I'm giving it another week or so, then I'm going to take it back to stock, try to get a refund, and get a V8 thrown in this thing...

Yoinkers
12-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Nope... I'm getting pretty frustrated. Up to this point, it's been all diagnostic. There has been plenty of email back and forth, but nothing of consequence. We found that the MAP sensor that came with the kit was not working correctly, but it is still idling (barely idling... more like laughing and hacking) pig rich. It won't go into gear without dying. I'm giving it another week or so, then I'm going to take it back to stock, try to get a refund, and get a V8 thrown in this thing...

That is the worst news! nothing more terrible than getting all invasive with your truck and then the build doesn't pan out. I hope they can fix it. Do not tear it off until you are completely sure that its dead and buried. I don't have an SC but the others in this forum do like theirs, although there is a lot of talk about fine tuning.

This SC is soo new, you are one of the first. hang in there.

2k13jk
12-17-2014, 09:52 PM
If it makes you feel better i had a bad map sensor from ripp they overnited me a new one and it started right up once i installed the new one

FieryRobot
12-17-2014, 10:16 PM
I can only assume (and it's only that—an assumption) that many others have installed this setup successfully, which gives me some hope that there's just a simple error someplace and once corrected everything will just fall into place.

At least that's what I'll keep telling myself for now, because I was very much counting on this being the setup for me...

Pznivy
12-17-2014, 10:48 PM
I can only assume (and it's only that—an assumption) that many others have installed this setup successfully, which gives me some hope that there's just a simple error someplace and once corrected everything will just fall into place.

I dont think anyone's got this set up. And there are a ton of variables between here and austrailia. For them to sell it here, it should be tuned here. I hope they are not taking an austrailian tune and trying to install it on american trucks. The note about slow turn around with a tune coming from down under is not good for more than just the time it takes. Test trucks have different parameters from one state to another in the US. The parameters from a AUS jeep to one in the states is going a wider gap to jump.

I think they will get it sorted out sooner or later, but its going to be the first guys who bought it that give the data required to really sort the tune out here on our atmospheric pressure and the gas we use. (and im sure a lot of other variables)

FieryRobot
12-17-2014, 11:00 PM
The OP has this setup and it seems to be working fine. I assumed he was here in the states.

JeepLab
12-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Nope... I'm getting pretty frustrated. Up to this point, it's been all diagnostic. There has been plenty of email back and forth, but nothing of consequence. We found that the MAP sensor that came with the kit was not working correctly,

Are the lights on your dash going crazy? Lightning bolts and what not? I had a bad map sensor once, We were in the rockies in a blizzard when it went. One of the scariest situations ive had in the truck. We had to shut the truck off while driving to get it rebooted. Turned off the ignition at highway speed. Carolina Pete was behind the wheel.

Dont lose heart. Any power mod has hiccups. You are a pioneer on this one, I havent seen one up close yet. What you can at least lean on is that sprintex is a real company, and they cannot afford to have your truck not working. Im confident, they are freaking out to get you sorted. Its going to be hard to sell a lot of these if people are taking them off.

Pznivy
12-17-2014, 11:06 PM
The OP has this setup and it seems to be working fine. I assumed he was here in the states.

Ahhh, Im corrected. Icheer4beer's got it....But can he confirm its working fine? He is in the states......

Icheer....any idle problems like recently discribed?

FLIPmeOVER
12-17-2014, 11:10 PM
How do they diagnose a bad map sensor?

I thought it was a cylinder misfire code, that might not really be a cylinder misfire unless you feel it misfire. When you get that code with no thunk in the engine, its the map sensor.

Is my info all wrong?

2k13jk
12-18-2014, 07:44 AM
A bad map sensor wont recognize the manifold pressure thus not fueling the engine correctly. Im trying to figure out what map sensor every company (ripp magnuson procharger prodigy sprintex) are using its got to be the same between them. From what a local tuner told me ripp used to use mopars srt4 map sensor because its whats called a 3 bar sensor being 3 bar can read negative and positive intake pressure and 2 bar map sensor only reading negative manifold pressure (vacuum)

gbaumann
12-18-2014, 08:01 AM
I went through a very similar situation, convinced that I had a bad MAP sensor. When installing the MAG S/C I plugged the MAP sensor connector in upside down. The computer threw a bad MAP sensor code. I figured because I put voltage on the wrong terminal the MAP sensor was shot. Magnuson told me that I couldn't have hurt it and to just flip the connector over and try again. I did and got the same result. Magnuson insisted that MAP sensor was OK and my problem was calibration tuning. And they were right. I sent my tune file to Diablo and they reviewed it for me. Diablo spotted the missing fuel table data and and shared that with Magnuson who had their calibration department fix it and email me a new file. Have you asked Diablo to look over your tune file? Mikel at DiabloSport helped me. They won't re-write your tune file but they will critique it to see if it's right. DiabloSport knows exactly what each S/C manufacturer is doing for calibration. If your file differs from Sprintex tunes used here in the US Mikel may be able to spot what's wrong.

Icheer4beer
12-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Sorry I've been out of the loop. Too many kids. I love my jeep. I have not had any problems since the original install. I had a bad Diablo tuner. Once that was corrected it was up and running quickly. The other issue I had was a misfire when I hadn't informed them of my after market exhaust.

It doesn't like to be driven cold. It surges and sputters. If I let it warm up for a couple of minutes, no problem. Usually once the idle drops to normal.

The jeep is quick. I have 35' on it and the 3.73 axle. I can spin them if I want. Merging is no longer an event.

Best upgrade ever. I can put a video on YouTube tonight of the acceleration if you want.

Icheer4beer
12-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Idles fine. No lights on the dash. No codes in the box.

FieryRobot
12-18-2014, 12:28 PM
I would love to see a dash video at full throttle and how it shifts!

Icheer4beer
12-18-2014, 01:34 PM
I will do it when my son gets home from school and after we upload it I will paste the link.

rgeorge33
12-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Are the lights on your dash going crazy? Lightning bolts and what not? I had a bad map sensor once, We were in the rockies in a blizzard when it went. One of the scariest situations ive had in the truck. We had to shut the truck off while driving to get it rebooted. Turned off the ignition at highway speed. Carolina Pete was behind the wheel.

Dont lose heart. Any power mod has hiccups. You are a pioneer on this one, I havent seen one up close yet. What you can at least lean on is that sprintex is a real company, and they cannot afford to have your truck not working. Im confident, they are freaking out to get you sorted. Its going to be hard to sell a lot of these if people are taking them off.

No christmas tree on the dash... The MAP sensor isn't completely non-functioning. It is reading incorrectly, so the incorrect values and scaling could cause the super-rich condition I'm experiencing. I'm waiting patiently for the UPS man to bring the MAP that Gary from Sprintex USA overnighted to me. I should know tonight if this is the magic bullet.

rgeorge33
12-18-2014, 06:11 PM
A bad map sensor wont recognize the manifold pressure thus not fueling the engine correctly. Im trying to figure out what map sensor every company (ripp magnuson procharger prodigy sprintex) are using its got to be the same between them. From what a local tuner told me ripp used to use mopars srt4 map sensor because its whats called a 3 bar sensor being 3 bar can read negative and positive intake pressure and 2 bar map sensor only reading negative manifold pressure (vacuum)

I'm not sure what it cross references to, but the Sprintex kit uses a Bosch 0 261 230 283. I believe it is a 3 bar, so it may be the same unit.

rgeorge33
12-18-2014, 06:16 PM
How do they diagnose a bad map sensor?

I thought it was a cylinder misfire code, that might not really be a cylinder misfire unless you feel it misfire. When you get that code with no thunk in the engine, its the map sensor.

Is my info all wrong?

We looked at the BARO reading with the key on and engine off, which gave them an idea of the baseline. It wasn't what they expected, so that's the test.

I went through a very similar situation, convinced that I had a bad MAP sensor. When installing the MAG S/C I plugged the MAP sensor connector in upside down. The computer threw a bad MAP sensor code. I figured because I put voltage on the wrong terminal the MAP sensor was shot. Magnuson told me that I couldn't have hurt it and to just flip the connector over and try again. I did and got the same result. Magnuson insisted that MAP sensor was OK and my problem was calibration tuning. And they were right. I sent my tune file to Diablo and they reviewed it for me. Diablo spotted the missing fuel table data and and shared that with Magnuson who had their calibration department fix it and email me a new file. Have you asked Diablo to look over your tune file? Mikel at DiabloSport helped me. They won't re-write your tune file but they will critique it to see if it's right. DiabloSport knows exactly what each S/C manufacturer is doing for calibration. If your file differs from Sprintex tunes used here in the US Mikel may be able to spot what's wrong.

I'm working with Mike Litsch from Diablosport and Gary Turner from Sprintex USA. Both guys seem to be giving my problem honest effort. They've both looked at the variables and both agree that the MAP seems to be the culprit. I'm just frustrated, but these things happen.

Sorry I've been out of the loop. Too many kids. I love my jeep. I have not had any problems since the original install. I had a bad Diablo tuner. Once that was corrected it was up and running quickly. The other issue I had was a misfire when I hadn't informed them of my after market exhaust.

It doesn't like to be driven cold. It surges and sputters. If I let it warm up for a couple of minutes, no problem. Usually once the idle drops to normal.

The jeep is quick. I have 35' on it and the 3.73 axle. I can spin them if I want. Merging is no longer an event.

Best upgrade ever. I can put a video on YouTube tonight of the acceleration if you want.

I appreciate you starting this post and giving a favorable report. It's hopeful for my situation. I'm looking forward to your video when you get a chance to post it. I'll live vicariously through you. :)

Icheer4beer
12-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Here's the link :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ9YJvlb_is&feature=youtu.be

rgeorge33
12-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Here's the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ9YJvlb_is&feature=youtu.be

That's awesome! I'm very jealous.

rgeorge33
12-18-2014, 07:23 PM
I received the new MAP a little bit ago, and it didn't change anything. I hope Gary and Mike can figure something out tomorrow, because I'm sure they won't mess with it over the weekend.

FieryRobot
12-18-2014, 07:30 PM
That's awesome! I'm very jealous.

Seconded!

I received the new MAP a little bit ago, and it didn't change anything. I hope Gary and Mike can figure something out tomorrow, because I'm sure they won't mess with it over the weekend.

Hope so too. No Jeep for a week would make me super grumpy.

JeepLab
12-19-2014, 12:05 AM
that video is great. That SC whine is very cool to hear.

Stay positive rgeorge, that scream is in your truck too. Just have to get it sorted out. Once fixed you wont remember any of the current misery.

gbaumann
12-19-2014, 09:28 AM

rgeorge, May I offer an alternative explanation on the "bar" of a MAP sensor? BAR is a metric measure of atmospheric pressure. Simply put, absolute seal level is 1 BAR. As you move up and down in elevation relative to seal level atmospheric pressure changes. It's important to know the pressure in the manifold without regard to outside atmospheric pressure so MAP sensors read "absolute" pressure (not important here). A 1 BAR sensor can read accurately up to 1 BAR or about 14.5 psi at sea level. A 2 BAR sensor can read up to 29 psi and so on. The Bosch code you posted is for a part originally equipped in a Fiat 1.5L trubo. It is quite likely a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor because it has to read boosted pressure values. All of that said:

If you have an electrical multimeter you can perform some basic tests. There are three pins on the MAP sensor wire harness connector. They are +5 volts, ground, sensor output. Turn the key on to run (don't start the engine). If you set your meter to DC volts you can pin the black meter lead to the ground and you should find one of the other pins with 5v on it. If you can't make a circuit or the voltage is more/less than 5v the the issue is in the harness (look for damaged wiring or bad connector, etc.). If you get 5v then you're good to go. Testing the MAP sensors themselves is a bit harder - you need a vacuum pump. But a simple test is to put 5v and ground to the MAP sensor and read the output. The output should be close to or exactly 5v because there's no vacuum applied to the sensor. If you bench test a MAP sensor and get way less than 5v without vacuum applied, then the sensor is bad. I write all of this because I went through all of this.

I strongly suspect your wiring harness is OK and your MAP sensors (now you have two) are OK. What's not OK is what is happening in the computer when manifold pressure changes and the voltage on the output side of the MAP sensor changes. Now you're in calibration land and the tune file tables need to correctly address what to do with the MAP voltage supplied to the computer.

You might ask one of the other USA sprintex guys to email you their file and send it Mikel at DiabloSport and ask him to compare them side-by side just to make sure they aren't missing something.

gbaumann
12-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Couple of other things you might want to try. . . disconnect the negative battery cable and clear the system. Reload your factory tune as if you were going back to stock. Make sure you have a good Diablo tool because bad tools or bad firmware can cause blocks of data to go unwritten in the truck's computer. Back up factory tune again and then reload Sprintex's tune. I apologize if this is stuff you've already done.

gbaumann
12-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Here's a great write up on how MAP sensors work and what they do. And I stand corrected. The bench voltage on a 2 bar MAP sensor may be as low as 2.5v for a properly working sensor.

http://www.wellsve.com/ds_map.html

rgeorge33
12-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks for all the information, gbaumann. Mike sent me an alternate tune to try today, which I just tried with no luck. Gary and Jay from Sprintex are convinced that it's a bad harness... I'm not sure why -- they didn't share their logic with me. I'm supposed to receive the harness tomorrow, so I guess I'll wait and see. If I get a chance, I may dig out my multimeter and check out one of the MAPs. I have family holiday obligations this weekend, so my diagnostic time with the jeep is limited.

We've tried restoring and reloading the tune. I've cleared codes with the diablosport, my obdlink software, and have removed the battery terminals to clear the learned memory. I've shared what short log files I've been able to capture, so they can look at all the sensor feedback. In between my obligations tomorrow. I hope to get the harness installed and see what that does. We'll see. Thanks again for your suggestions. I will have more time next week, so I'll dig into your info and see what I get.

rgeorge33
12-19-2014, 11:32 PM
IT'S ALIVE!!!! :cool:

Thanks to everyone for their advice and support -- especially gbaumann for the MAP education and Icheer4beer for the initial post. Even though Gary overnighted the MAP adapter wiring harness, I lack the kind of patience it takes to wait a day. I pulled the harness and checked continuity, which was fine. Then I looked at the wires and compared it to a Bosch diagram for a similar MAP sensor. SPRINTEX CROSSED THE +5 V LEAD AND THE OUTPUT LEAD!!! I cut the two wires, soldered the inverse connections, covered the joints with heat shrink, and it started and purred like a kitten! It's 32 degrees and misting in KC, so I didn't drive much tonight, but I'll drive it tomorrow to the activities I have to attend. I'm excited to say the least. Thanks again to everyone that offered advice or encouragement.

FieryRobot
12-20-2014, 12:38 AM
IT'S ALIVE!!!! :cool:

That is AWESOME news! I knew it had to be something simple.

Of course, while I'm glad you're up and running, I am now questioning Sprintex's quality control...

Let us know how it works out over the weekend—shifting in particular. Very interested in hearing your experience with it. Another data point is always good. :-)

Rexx19
12-20-2014, 10:18 AM
That is AWESOME news! I knew it had to be something simple.

Of course, while I'm glad you're up and running, I am now questioning Sprintex's quality control...

Let us know how it works out over the weekend—shifting in particular. Very interested in hearing your experience with it. Another data point is always good. :-)

HOORAY!!

Ive been in that boat, where the sky is falling, and it turns out to be a simple fix. For me when you turn the truck over and it makes a terrible noise, you worry that you are hurting engine components and stuff.

Then you get it right, and its like nothing was ever wrong.

Glad you hung in there!

Yoinkers
12-20-2014, 05:15 PM
HOORAY!!

Ive been in that boat, where the sky is falling, and it turns out to be a simple fix. For me when you turn the truck over and it makes a terrible noise, you worry that you are hurting engine components and stuff.

Glad you hung in there!

x2. glad it worked out.

gbaumann
12-20-2014, 07:03 PM
HOORAY!!

Glad you hung in there!

X3. Welcome to the club!

JeepLab
12-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Ok, now tell us how fast it is.

Icheer4beer
12-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Glad it's working now. The next thing you realize is that your gas mileage sucks, but you don't care because of how much fun it is.

FieryRobot
12-21-2014, 01:57 AM
Glad it's working now. The next thing you realize is that your gas mileage sucks, but you don't care because of how much fun it is.

OK, now this concerns me. How much worse is it? And is it worse for normal driving, or are you just being more aggressive because, like, you can now. :-)

Rexx19
12-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Yes, you're milage will remain the same, or get worse depending on how you hit the pedal...and hit the pedal.....and hit the pedal....

rgeorge33
12-22-2014, 07:52 PM
So my first impression after driving a bit this weekend... It's worth every penny I paid.

1. Is it lightening fast? No.
2. Is it as impressive as those youtube videos of the V8 jeeps? No.
3. Does it get up to speed pretty quickly and maintain speed with ease -- even on hills? Absolutely.

It has the power that it should have had from the factory. It doesn't downshift when I see a hill or the occasional wind. Considering I was originally going to have Motech do a V8 swap next year for near $25K, I feel like this thing is awesome for the money. My first partial tank was terrible (10 mpg), but that tank was also used during all the diagnostic work which was very very rich. My next tank was 15.3 mpg, which is about 1-2 points worse than my stock numbers. If I cared about those 1-2 points that much, I would have spent the supercharger money on a Hyundai -- much like the beauty I rented last week.

As far as the tune: It is about 95% perfect. The shifting at full throttle sometimes hangs until it hits the rev limiter, but not every time. The rest of the time the shifting isn't bad. I don't think any supercharger manufacturer can do much about that until Diablosport, or someone else, figures out how to hack the WA580. As far as the engine management goes, I've only noticed a couple of occasions where I felt like it was surging or hesitating, but I can't recreate it consistently. I'll give details when I've figured out what the conditions are (I'll also send log data to Sprintex and try to get it addressed). really pretty happy so far. I've only put about 350 miles on it so far, so I owe you guys better information when I've had time to gather more observations.

I know you've seen Icheer4beer's video and the acceleration is obviously pretty good, but it's ability to drive down the road without grabbing a gear is just fantastic.

Icheer4beer
12-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Just drove from DC to Atlanta. 16.5 mpg doing between 65-70. Any faster and the mileage goes way down. No problem passing or merging.

Also, I talked to Gary at sprintex and he said there is a new tune to get rid of the rough running cold problem. I will load that when I get back.

FLIPmeOVER
12-27-2014, 10:40 AM
We need to get this sprintex up next to that turbo on the slick track.

rgeorge33
01-01-2015, 01:52 PM
I took advantage of some free time today and installed a catch can between the PCV and the Sprintex. I'm not sure if it's placebo, but the throttle response seems more smooth and linear. If it is more smooth, it's just a bonus. My intent was to keep oil from building up on the intercooler.

JeepLab
01-01-2015, 08:23 PM
I took advantage of some free time today and installed a catch can between the PCV and the Sprintex. I'm not sure if it's placebo, but the throttle response seems more smooth and linear. If it is more smooth, it's just a bonus. My intent was to keep oil from building up on the intercooler.

Its not placebo, i thought the same thing as soon as the can was installed even before I cleaned out the intercooler.

Did you get your catch can from billet technology?

rgeorge33
01-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Its not placebo, i thought the same thing as soon as the can was installed even before I cleaned out the intercooler.

Did you get your catch can from billet technology?

No, I had an Elite Engineering can that I pulled off our 2012 Grand Sport Corvette before we sold it. ( http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/elite-engineering-catch-can/ ) I wasn't using it, and I saw a fair amount of oil in the old intake manifold when I pulled it to do the Sprintex install, so I figured I needed to put the can on sooner rather than later. I had to pick up some 1/2" barb fittings before I could install it, since it originally came with 3/8" fittings.

Gunner
01-01-2015, 11:30 PM
This is one of Ripp's latest videos. You will see and hear that the new kit comes with a catch can. I think it's cool that they put it in now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LZ9VbOPe1I

Yoinkers
01-14-2015, 09:25 PM
any sprintex updates? mainly...is it worth the pricetag? If you could have your truck back as it was before, without all the work to turn it back AND you could have the money back......

would you do it?

Icheer4beer
01-15-2015, 03:32 PM
I am glad I did it. If you have 5500 to put into your jeep it's worth it. I never worry about passing or having power. I do worry about the long term effects on the jeep. When it destroys the engine from over boost it will be another project. Maybe a V8 or a rebuild. I don't know. However, it's great having it now and I should just live in the present and not worry about a couple years down the road.

rgeorge33
01-15-2015, 09:00 PM
any sprintex updates? mainly...is it worth the pricetag? If you could have your truck back as it was before, without all the work to turn it back AND you could have the money back......

would you do it?

I think it's worth the money, but I'm still not completely satisfied. In my initial review I said the tune was about 95%, but that was probably generous (honeymoon stage). Since I've been driving for a few weeks I've noticed a few annoying things. The first, which we can all acknowledge is not the fault of Sprintex, is the shifting. With the TCM being locked tighter than Ft. Knox, there's not much anyone can do about that. The next thing is that there is slight hesitation sometimes (rare, but present) and there is sometimes surging under light acceleration at around 2k rpm. The last thing is that the throttle does not feel linear. It is kind of notchy, or lumpy feeling. Some of this could be due to the extreme cold we've been experiencing in Kansas City, or maybe the bypass valve vacuum actuator, or just the tune -- I'm not sure. However, this is still my first tune and I just recently contacted Gary and he seems eager to help. Here is his response to my message:

Jay is working on some cold tuning in China right now. I should have something over the weekend.

Dialing that linearity in the throttle is indeed difficult. We can work with the scaling inside the tunes and that has been part of the challenge. I keep comparing it to this, an F1 car playing the Star Spangled Banner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZIUGreqrCY

Scaling in the map and “playing scales” are not entirely different meanings of the same word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqVzi36AlNA

I don’t know if you are into music or not, but it feels like the motor is “playing scales”, like it’s practicing music. I noticed it in earlier testing. It feels like the motor is revving one note at a time.

You can scale the throttle, all 4 cams, and the spark timing in the mapping. That’s the challenge in mapping current PCMs.

We’d definitely appreciate a log if you can send one, please. This explanation/translation may seem a little weird.

Kind Regards,
Gary Turner
USA Coordinator
www.SprintexUSA.com

I'm hoping I can get some log files this weekend and get to work on the tune. On a positive note, there is plenty of power now and it seems as though there is boost at lower RPM, because I can stay up-to-speed at cruising RPM (1800-3000 RPM). I am extremely happy about that. Also, at WOT it is ridiculously quick for a Jeep! If the drivability becomes smoother with future tunes, I will be incredibly happy. And once someone unlocks that damn transmission, this thing will be GREAT!

Now to the hardest question of whether I wish I had the money back or not... Well, I kind of wish I would have saved it towards a LS conversion from Motech this summer. If the tuning is straightened out, I may move from this position. For now, I have two reasons for saying that. The first is the fact you can go with something that has been factory tuned (optimized for a wide variety of conditions). No need to worry about special cold weather tuning or other factors. The second is the transmission. Another gear, plus it is easily adjusted. If we can't get the tune much better for the Sprintex, well.... I'll get that LS transplant in the next couple years anyway. Sorry for the long diatribe, but I hope it helps.

Randy

Icheer4beer
01-16-2015, 09:46 AM
It might be your tune. My first tune was a problematic. Surging and not what you would expect. My second tune got rid of the surge unless it's real cold. It does not like the teens. I also have been promised the new cold weather tune. As for shifting, I don't see or have the same problem. It shifts where I want it to 80% of the time. Sometimes if I am watching the gas mileage I will force an early shift by tapping the Shifter. Not a problem. Linear peddle? I hardly ever use more than a quarter of the travel. That's plenty for regular driving.

What's a LS conversion? 20k? My wife would never go for that. Best performance upgrade for the buck. A supercharger, not necessarily a Sprintex.

2k13jk
01-16-2015, 09:48 AM
My jk has nomore hesitation and surging i had a custom tune done on my jk and it was well worth 600 and i made 94 more hp over ripps canned tune

JeepLab
01-16-2015, 10:43 AM
My jk has nomore hesitation and surging i had a custom tune done on my jk and it was well worth 600 and i made 94 more hp over ripps canned tune

WHOA! Pump the brakes. Your statement right now is that your rig puts down 422 hp on the dyno? Is there a sheet on this?

My base "canned" Ripp tune puts down 328 whp.

Standard pulley. (i was going to put hi alt on, but couldn't get the damn thing off.)

2k13jk
01-16-2015, 12:25 PM
My jk made 344 wheel on 8lbs of boost i had it dynoed previous to tuning it i only made 250

JeepLab
01-16-2015, 12:41 PM
hmmmmmm. what was the tire, set up ? type of dyno?

250 is horrendus.

2k13jk
01-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Regular drive on dyno 6 speed 3.21 35s

FLIPmeOVER
01-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Regular drive on dyno 6 speed 3.21 35s

So you installed a RIPP SC, took it off, and put a sprintex on?

Thats a lot of work and money.

2k13jk
01-17-2015, 04:24 PM
I always had a ripp i never took it off

rgeorge33
02-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Hello Jeep Lab folks! Here's the quick update to my tuning issue... Nothing productive, really. I contacted Gary by email last week and he didn't respond, so I called after a couple days. He answered and he told me his tuning guys were behind and asked me to send him my back-up tune, so maybe that will help them along.

Since I'm not typically one to sit idle, I started contingency planning. I contacted Robbie at Motech to discuss an LS Swap. He directed me to John at Overland Performance, an installer that's a little closer to me. We've gone back and forth a bit and he's working up a quote for me, so we'll see. Maybe I'll be following the lead of gbaumann and make my next corrective step a big one.

FLIPmeOVER
02-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Engine swap after spending 6k is a very expensive solution.

If your going to do it, look into getting the new 6.2 corvette engine that they put into the new sierra denali 1500.

That thing is siiiiiiiiiiick.

FieryRobot
02-03-2015, 04:24 PM
This lack of responsiveness would make me lose it. Maybe I should shift my attention back to RIPP.

Pznivy
02-03-2015, 04:58 PM
This lack of responsiveness would make me lose it. Maybe I should shift my attention back to RIPP.

really, i try to root against RIPP, because i like the lobe or screw style blower, but you really have to start respecting RIPP when these other guys stumble.

All the power in the world means nothing if it dosent work right.

rgeorge33
02-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Well, I sent another follow-up message to Gary at Sprintex today to check the status of tune. He expects to see something in the next couple days. I hope so, because I finally got a quote from the LS installer. He came in about $10k more than Motech's price, so while I may still consider the LS3 at some point, I don't think I'll have it done by this particular installer. I have no doubts that his work is quite good, but it's not good enough to justify that much more than Motech. As far as the new Gen V V-8s, Motech doesn't support them yet.

I will say Gary is quite friendly and he seems legitimately concerned about getting the tune straight. I'm looking forward to the new tune, especially after reading the recent post about the improvements to the Magnuson tune. It sounds like they're getting it figured out. Hopefully Sprintex won't be too far behind. And if Diablosport could crack the transmission...

rgeorge33
05-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Quick update... While the guys at Sprintex worked hard and sent several tunes to try to get it straight, I'm done. The cold weather operation was never quite right, but the worst part was the transmission. That's really an issue with the Diablosport tuner rather than the Sprintex SC. My Jeep is currently in the capable hands of Robbie at MoTech getting an LS3 and 6L80E. He's also replacing the driveshafts with heavy duty units. All the original equipment options, such as cruise control, remote start, stability control, traction control, and of course the dash, will work as usual. The only difference will be the smooth linear power of a 6.2L V8 and an efficient 6 speed automatic! If anyone has interest in how this goes, I can start a separate thread once I get the jeep back.

FLIPmeOVER
05-17-2015, 07:19 AM
The only difference will be the smooth linear power of a 6.2L V8 and an efficient 6 speed automatic! If anyone has interest in how this goes, I can start a separate thread once I get the jeep back.

yea that sounds boring. no one here has any interest in that. ARE YOU NUTS?

We want every detail.

UselessPickles
05-17-2015, 11:14 AM
I sense a 6.4 Hemi vs 6.2 LS comparison coming up... please?

gbaumann
05-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Let's see the LS build! I want to see how the truck handles with the lower weight of the aluminum block. Hopefully better than the Hemi. After reading about the issues with the Prodigy and Sprintex calibration I'll be recycling my 3.6L after looking at the bottom end.

Rexx19
05-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Let's see the LS build! I want to see how the truck handles with the lower weight of the aluminum block. Hopefully better than the Hemi. After reading about the issues with the Prodigy and Sprintex calibration I'll be recycling my 3.6L after looking at the bottom end.

Whats the weight difference? and then we have to categorize the weight of each aftermarket product on each rig. Cherry Bomb is carrying those AEV bumpers. Whats the extra gear on the LS truck?

doc5339
09-27-2015, 09:39 AM
I sense a 6.4 Hemi vs 6.2 LS comparison coming up... please?

I will bet on the 6.2 LS FTW!

Pznivy
09-29-2015, 11:51 AM
the 6.4 is pretty mean also. And i think RIPP makes an SC for it.

doc5339
10-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Are you still pleased with the Sprintex Supercharger? Having any issues? Just checking-in to see how it is going.

Icheer4beer
10-15-2015, 10:30 AM
Still loving the sprintex. No major problems. The only thing I don't like is changing the oil. It's very challenging to find a tube small enough to extract the old fluid.

doc5339
10-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Still loving the sprintex. No major problems. The only thing I don't like is changing the oil. It's very challenging to find a tube small enough to extract the old fluid.

Thanks for the follow-up! I am glad that you are happy with the Sprintex! You are the first guy who I have contacted to give a good report.

FLIPmeOVER
10-15-2015, 05:31 PM

no surging, or hesitation? would you dare to say the tune is perfect?

Icheer4beer
10-19-2015, 08:08 AM
I think it strange that I am the only person having a good experience with his sprintex.

I will say it not a perfect system. Main problems are it doesn't like to be cold. Solved that by letting it idle while I load the kids. That solved most of that issue. Gas mileage is bad. Of course, I do accelerate quickly and I live in Texas and pay $2.19 a gallon for premium. So I deal with the mpg because it's just fun to drive. The other problem was that I was getting an O2 sensor warning.

They sent me a new tune on Friday. Cold engine ops is good. Too soon to know about mpg and the O2 sensor warning went out. Throttle response is tight, however, I have had a couple of hesitations off the line. I just sent in the feedback this morning and I will let you know the response.

Overall, I would do it again with sprintex. Torque is great. I can easily spin the 35's if that's what I want to do. I don't because they are expensive and I am past those years. Passing on the road is not a concern. Shifting is smooth.

The only real complaint is its hard to read the dipstick and change the oil.

JeepLab
10-19-2015, 09:48 AM
I can easily spin the 35's if that's what I want to do.

Spinning big tires is a crazy thing. i was once at RIPP and Ross, (the brain over there) told me I wasnt driving BB to her potential. He had just seen my 0-60 video. So he took the keys and TORCHED my 37s. I couldn't believe how he lit them up. I was certain he was going to break something expensive, but i had to act cool in the passenger seat....hiding my terror.

Timmy
10-20-2015, 10:33 AM
So I deal with the mpg because it's just fun to drive.

Ohh you mean this...

j0n
11-21-2015, 10:44 AM
I have narrowed my choices down to the Sprintex or Prodigy Turbo kit. Where did you buy your Supercharger?

I think it strange that I am the only person having a good experience with his sprintex.

I will say it not a perfect system. Main problems are it doesn't like to be cold. Solved that by letting it idle while I load the kids. That solved most of that issue. Gas mileage is bad. Of course, I do accelerate quickly and I live in Texas and pay $2.19 a gallon for premium. So I deal with the mpg because it's just fun to drive. The other problem was that I was getting an O2 sensor warning.

They sent me a new tune on Friday. Cold engine ops is good. Too soon to know about mpg and the O2 sensor warning went out. Throttle response is tight, however, I have had a couple of hesitations off the line. I just sent in the feedback this morning and I will let you know the response.

Overall, I would do it again with sprintex. Torque is great. I can easily spin the 35's if that's what I want to do. I don't because they are expensive and I am past those years. Passing on the road is not a concern. Shifting is smooth.

The only real complaint is its hard to read the dipstick and change the oil.

Icheer4beer
11-22-2015, 07:14 AM
I bought it from Mike. He was referred to me by sprintex. Here's his email superchargersofokc@yahoo.com
Todd

Pznivy
11-24-2015, 03:50 PM
did a non-sprintex, sprintex dyno sheet ever happen?

rgeorge33
11-26-2015, 08:41 PM
I'll sell you mine quite a bit cheaper than you can buy a new one, if you're interested. It only has about 5k miles on it. MoTech removed it when they installed the LS3. Let me know if you're interested.

Randy

j0n
11-27-2015, 11:47 AM
PM sent. I'm interested.

Yoinkers
12-10-2015, 02:27 PM
got an early bonus. Did this sprintex unit get sold?

rgeorge33
12-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Yeah, sorry. Jon bought it and is well on his way to completing the install.

j0n
12-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Yeah, sorry. Jon bought it and is well on his way to completing the install.

It's installed and running! Started right up on the first try last night. I am heading out of town so I won't be able to drive it for a few days. When I return, I'll post pics and videos. Plan is to strap it to a dyno and see what this slug is putting down to the ground :)

Thanks for hooking me up Randy :)

UselessPickles
12-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Plan is to strap it to a dyno and see what this slug is putting down to the ground :)

Did you get dyno results before the Sprintex install? If not, then it's hard to know whether it would be valid to compare to other people's dyno results.

j0n
12-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Did you get dyno results before the Sprintex install? If not, then it's hard to know whether it would be valid to compare to other people's dyno results.

I did not, I wish I did though. No way I am taking off the blower to see the before and after results. I plan on running E85 so I'll compare power results vs Gasoline.

jaysplace408
07-20-2016, 02:17 PM
So how are they working, I know an old post but asking for and update! Just started looking into this mod.

j0n
07-21-2016, 09:40 AM
So how are they working, I know an old post but asking for and update! Just started looking into this mod.

I have no complaints whatsoever. The supercharger is making great power, and drivability is on par with the stock tune.