PDA

View Full Version : NEW JW Speaker 8700 Headlights...GEN 2

JeepLab
10-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Yep. These are the new ones.

I thought the old ones were pretty impressive, leave it to JW to keep improving even though the competition wasnt close.

Here are some shots of the old and new lights.

Just like the old ones, I'll be putting the xpel headlight armor wrap on the new ones before installation.
'

JeepLab
10-26-2014, 08:39 PM
The old 8700 Gen 1 light. -

Here is the new Gen 2

Both together -

ljvsnyder
10-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Love these lights but $800 is pretty steep.

Yoinkers
10-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Love these lights but $800 is pretty steep.

Agreed. but do you get it back at sale with this kind of mod? Everyone knows what they cost. Does it transfer into a little better resale? vs maybe paying half for KC hi lights, that give you no boost at sale?

JeepLab
10-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Agreed. but do you get it back at sale with this kind of mod? Everyone knows what they cost. Does it transfer into a little better resale? vs maybe paying half for KC hi lights, that give you no boost at sale?

I think it may be pushing it a little to think you get your money back at sale with ANY mod. BUT having JW speakers installed might be the difference in someone buying your rig over a similar rig without them.

I would say the same for other lights available that compete with these to a lesser extent.

bo9roadking
10-28-2014, 10:51 AM
I have the older gen 1 production 8700 lights that I purchased earlier this year. I like them a lot and I'm interested in the new design for better coverage, but I'm not going to dump another $800 on the gen 2 lights. I already have the JW Speaker LED fog lights that improve the low beam pattern and I have HID driving lights that improve the high beam pattern when off-roading. I don't think the new pattern is worth $800 more than the current performance of my gen 1 lights.

My wife has the TruckLite LED headlights in her JK and at half the money, I think they have a better high beam than my JW Speaker lights. I still like the look of the JW Speaker light and the low beam pattern that it produces over the TruckLite headlights, but for half the money, I think the TruckLite LEDs are a better buy.

gbaumann
10-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Yep. These are the new ones.

I thought the old ones were pretty impressive, leave it to JW to keep improving even though the competition wasnt close.

Here are some shots of the old and new lights.

Just like the old ones, I'll be putting the xpel headlight armor wrap on the new ones before installation.
'

I'm scheduled to get JW Speaker headlights and fogs next week. Are the Gen2 headlights available to the "masses?" Should I check with my shop to see if they have or can get them?

Also, can you install the Xpel Armor after headlights are in?

FLIPmeOVER
10-28-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm scheduled to get JW Speaker headlights and fogs next week. Are the Gen2 headlights available to the "masses?" Should I check with my shop to see if they have or can get them?

available or not, you are paying good money, you are not going to want to have the "old ones" a month from now.

Make those people change your order to Gen 2 or cancel the order. They are too expensive to take the old ones with the new ones right around the corner.

Snarf77
10-29-2014, 09:38 AM
available or not, you are paying good money, you are not going to want to have the "old ones" a month from now.

Make those people change your order to Gen 2 or cancel the order. They are too expensive to take the old ones with the new ones right around the corner.

100% agree. The small wait would be worth the new tech.

JeepLab
10-29-2014, 09:41 AM
100% agree. The small wait would be worth the new tech.

X3. these guys have it right. Would you be happy with the old ones? sure. Are they powerful? yes.

but they redesigned them for a reason. Let us know who you are buying them from and what their response is when you tell them you want to switch to the new ones.

JeepLab
10-29-2014, 09:58 AM

you can install the wrap with the lights installed. You just need to be absolutely certain that the lights are clean. Clean them, then clean them again. Lint free towels,

And when your done, clean them again.

Then wrap.

Rexx19
11-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Are these in yet? I know the SC clean out derailed this. But I think I saw them in on instagram.....

JeepLab
11-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Ask and ye shall receive

Ill put up more when I get the nose back together.

ljvsnyder
11-16-2014, 12:16 AM
so how does the light compare between the knew lights and the old ones?

JeepLab
11-16-2014, 04:57 PM
so how does the light compare between the knew lights and the old ones?

I never had the old gen lights connected. I had them but never got them installed.

i THINK the brightness is the same, but the spread is better. Ill check the lumens.

JeepLab
11-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Here's a shot of everything burning at once.

ljvsnyder
11-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Can't wait to see the output results.

JeepLab
11-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Can't wait to see the output results.

Ill tell you this, the output is HIGH.

I need to get where they are pointed corrected. Ill be back with picks and maybe some vid for you guys in a day or two. The new baby is making every little task a big task.

Im trying to finish editing the video for the clear wrap install. I'll have that up in a day or two.

ljvsnyder
11-20-2014, 09:05 AM
A baby can make things tough, but wait till the day he/she is old enough to be out there with you and wants to crawl under neath the JK with you. My two girls helped me install my Smittybilt SRC bumper. They actually removed the stock rear all by themselves all I did was brake the bolts loose. It was so cute, wish I had taken a video.

JeepLab
11-20-2014, 11:19 AM
A baby can make things tough, but wait till the day he/she is old enough to be out there with you and wants to crawl under neath the JK with you. My two girls helped me install my Smittybilt SRC bumper. They actually removed the stock rear all by themselves all I did was brake the bolts loose. It was so cute, wish I had taken a video.

I cannot wait. Im going to buy him a little skateboard to use as a creeper.

ljvsnyder
11-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Just go a little higher on the lift and he should be able to walk right underneath. When I had my Ram 2500 I would have my daughter walk underneath and turn the drain valve on the oil pan. A lot easier than my fat @$$ crawling underneath.

Rexx19
11-21-2014, 02:50 PM
how do you focus the lights? Is there a standard level?

FLIPmeOVER
11-21-2014, 07:58 PM
you should get a truck into the garage and see where that beam hits the wall. Then mark it and line up betty with it.

Maybe a pickup truck would be the same level as BB

JeepLab
11-23-2014, 10:30 AM
here is the armor wrap install video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyqXevUFObc&feature=youtu.be

JeepLab
11-23-2014, 10:31 AM
i am going to check the pickup truck beam level pattern, and try to match it.

bo9roadking
11-24-2014, 02:49 PM
how do you focus the lights? Is there a standard level?

i am going to check the pickup truck beam level pattern, and try to match it.

Here is a good site to get your headlights aimed correctly. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

It is easier than the article makes it look because you can only adjust the Jeep JK headlight up and down. There is no adjustment for left and right. Basically, measure the height from the ground to the center of your headlight. Put a horizontal line on the wall with painters tape at the height of the headlights. Park your Jeep on level ground 25 feet away from the line of tape with your headlights squared to the wall that has the tape on it. Using the chart in the article, determine how many inches below the painters tape line will be where the brightest part of the headlight beam or the top of the cutoff if you have a sharp cutoff style light should be aimed. Using the chart, you would aim directly at the painters tape if your headlights are 34.5" high or less. Measure down 2 inches from the painters tape horizontal line if your headlights are 35-39" high. You are now done. Use the charts to see examples of what the beam pattern looks like.

FLIPmeOVER
11-26-2014, 06:10 PM
im going to use this ^^

to correct my stock beams. People are always flashing me like i have my high beams on.

Yoinkers
11-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Good Video. How do you like the headlights so far?

Rexx19
12-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Good Video Good info.

now get them muddy!

JeepLab
12-02-2014, 09:50 PM
I like them a lot. I've also been using the driving lights around town without any police harrassment. So thats good. Plenty of light.

I've been taking my time redirecting the lights, then i did move them down, and once finished, realized that Ive been playing with the lights without the winch installed.

I had taken it off for the SC clean out and never put it back. Now the lights will be too low when I do reinstall it.

JeepLab
12-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Got the lights focused on the road finally.

Now when i get in the wife's car, i cant tell if her headlights are on or not. We were driving the other night, and I kept asking if they were on.

In the jeep. you know they are on.

FLIPmeOVER
12-28-2014, 05:17 PM
I just ordered the speaker lights. Cant wait to get them installed.

I bought the xpel wrap too.

Yoinkers
01-02-2015, 12:56 PM
I just ordered the speaker lights. Cant wait to get them installed.

I bought the xpel wrap too.

x2. I bought both the lights and the film also. I bought the whole jeep kit from expel and then the speaker film kit.