PDA

View Full Version : Superchips Flashpaq Questions

Dr. Evil
12-06-2014, 12:41 PM
I just received my Flashpaq for my 2010 JK. I am assuming there is no need to update anything right out of the box since instructions say "The Flashpaq is programmed at our factory with the largest databases meant to provide broad vehicle coverage." I use 87 octane gasoline in my JK. There are many different tuning levels available. These are what I am looking at:

1. 87 Performance - requires the use of 87 octane and is used for extra horsepower, torque and driveability for on and off road uses.

2. Mileage XS - requires 87 octane gas and is used for fuel mileage gains. Great for on and off road use.

3. Extreme - this is an aggressive tune used for maximum horsepower, torque and driveability.

Originally, I was expecting to do the 87 Performance. Is there any reason to not do that one and consider another? My JK is a local daily driver only with no off roading. I will be adding an afe cat back exhaust next week. I would appreciate advice from those familiar and/or using a Flashpaq.

UselessPickles
12-06-2014, 02:08 PM
I never assume a new updateable device is up to date. It may have sat in a warehouse or on a shelf for months. Check for updates before using it.

As for the different tunes, try them all. Just make sure you use up all the 87 in your tank and refill with whatever octane is recommended for the "extreme" tune before installing that tune.

Dr. Evil
12-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Ok. Just updated the Flashpaq online. Thanks pickles. I want to set the tire size when I install. They measure by increments of 1/4 and say to round up. I have 33X12.50 Duratrac's and their specs online are 32.8 outside diameter. I measured like they recommend, using a tape measure from the ground up to the bottom of a ruler that sits on the top of the tire. I measured 31 3/8". What happened to my 33's? I guess I will be 31 1/2 based on their recommendations.

WhiteRavenRR
12-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Duratracs run small. I run 35's and they spec at 34.6. I think I measured 33"+ when I installed my Flashpaq. I will be going to full 35's or 37's next.

Dr. Evil
12-07-2014, 02:10 PM
I just installed my Superchips Flashpaq after receiving. I also figured I would do the compter update prior which I did last night. I was under the impression I would install the 87 Performance. Instead of Quick Tune, I went to the Advanced Tune so I could set my tire size correctly too. After clicking Advanced Tune, I clicked on Power Levels. I had an option of 91 Performance, 93 Performance, 87 Octane and a couple of others but no 87 Performance. I went with 87 Octane. Is this correct? Any idea why 87 Performance wasn't an option? Is 87 Performance an option under the Quick Tune instead of choosing Advanced Tune? I wouldn't think so. I know it states, "Availability of specific tunes may vary based on your vehicle's make and model." I just thought since it had 91 and 93 Performance both available, it would have 87 Performance available. Thoughts?

UselessPickles
12-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Was there a separate option for some sort of "fuel saver"/"Mileage XS" tune? If so, then I think it's safe to assume that the plain "87" tune is tuned for performance.

Dr. Evil
12-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Was there a separate option for some sort of "fuel saver"/"Mileage XS" tune? If so, then I think it's safe to assume that the plain "87" tune is tuned for performance.

There was a Mileage option. I just pm'd a guy who I have been communicating with over the last few weeks who has one. He said he was told 87 Performance was for other Jeep models and it was renamed to just 87. I guess I have the correct one. Thanks again "Useful" pickles!:D BTW, I just drove up and down my block and it did feel different. I have a full tank of 87 so I am curious to see my mileage down the road.

Dr. Evil
12-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Is it normal for the rpm's on the tach to be between 1 and 2 at idle? I noticed this after I installed the 87 octane tune.

UselessPickles
12-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Mine idles at about 1500 rpm right after a cold start, and eventually drops down to about 650 rpm when fully warmed up.

WhiteRavenRR
12-07-2014, 10:51 PM
I think the Performance tune was listed under the Quick tune options. I don't remember for sure. I ran the tow tune for a while but I have switched to the 87 Performance. I did a run with the 91 Performance with a full tank to try it out. Gas wasnt cheap enough to keep running that tune though.

I also turned off the pedal tune that comes with the Flashpaq. I personally didn't like it. I thought it was a little too touchy.

Dr. Evil
12-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Just spoke to Superchips. They said the instruction booklet is misleading. The 87 Octane does performance too. There is no 87 Performance and 87 Octane. They definitely need to change their booklet they include in the purchase.

Dr. Evil
12-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I think the Performance tune was listed under the Quick tune options. I don't remember for sure. I ran the tow tune for a while but I have switched to the 87 Performance. I did a run with the 91 Performance with a full tank to try it out. Gas wasnt cheap enough to keep running that tune though.

I also turned off the pedal tune that comes with the Flashpaq. I personally didn't like it. I thought it was a little too touchy.

What do you mean "pedal tune"?

2k13jk
12-08-2014, 11:26 AM
You can change the sensitivity of your gas pedal from being very delayed to very sensitive