PDA

View Full Version : Tearing out the old. Need new suspension

FLIPmeOVER
12-27-2014, 10:38 AM
This is not a "Whats best suspension thread". Lets get that out of the way.

Xmas bonus came in, and Ive decided to replace my AEV kit. I got sucked in by the "better than stock" claims. Found it less than spectacular, and dont like the loss of ground clearance around the wheels.

Before everyone screams Rock Krawler, let me make you aware, I have seen some RK parts come out of rigs that are not wheeled hard, and have not been impressed with the durability over time. However that information is a few years old, they may have changed components by now.

How about the Metal cloak? I thought the components in that lift were cheap plastic also with the flexing. Anyone here got currie?

WhiteRavenRR
12-27-2014, 01:53 PM
I run RK so I'm obviously biased. When you talk of parts that didn't impress, which parts? Are you speaking of their joints? If you are, their Monster Pro joints are their latest design. I'm not sure how long they have been out but they replace the older style joints.

I have a set of old joints from Ross that's off of Black Betty that seem pretty beat up. I spoke with RK and they told that me as long as they don't move freely with ease, the joints are still good. I'm talking joints with parts of their innards hanging out. I will replace these eventually with the Monster Pro joints when they do wear out.

I've heard good stuff regarding Metalcloak but I've never seen one of their lifts up close nor currie.

I would choose any of these lifts over AEV any day.

FLIPmeOVER
12-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Yea the aev has to go. Its garbage.

I wouldnt even consider it a real lift. The new rk joints do look robust.

Do you have them installed? do they function correctly? Make any noise?

WhiteRavenRR
12-28-2014, 06:21 PM
I have 2 installed right now on the front LCAs. Much more range of motion over their older design plus they are greasable. I look forward to getting a complete set. I've got a forum thread on here somewhere that should have pics of both sets.

WhiteRavenRR
12-28-2014, 06:30 PM
I don't have any suspension noise whatsoever. I forgot to answer that question.

The suspensions I would look at are:
Rock Krawler
Metal Cloak
Teraflex
Possibly Currie, but like I said, I have never seen anyone with this lift in my area.

Those choices are no in any particular order either.

I have ran a Teraflex lift prior to my RK lift. I swapped it out because it was just a spacer lift. I liked the ride it provided but I wanted a full coil setup and decided to swap to RK. I have installed a Teraflex coil setup on a friends Jeep and I was impressed with their quality. He really likes his lift and claims it rides really well.

Exactly which lifts are you looking at? Are you looking for spacers, coils? With or without control arms? What shocks do you want to run? There's a lot of choices to make but being more specific with what you are looking for can help narrow it down.

FLIPmeOVER
12-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Im looking to go to the next level misalighing control arms with lots of twist, but i do like the skinny pedal, so I want i to handle.

I dont do mud. but everything else is good.

Ive been reading about long arms kits, and i may be leaning that way, although i wasnt originally. Any long arm kits here? worth the grinding?

Yoinkers
01-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Ive seen the currie stuff up close. its well known by the really serious wheelers.

They won the KOH this year I think.

2me
01-06-2015, 01:45 AM
Have the Metal Cloak 3.5 lift with the six pack shocks.
On the road it handles exceptionally well, especially cornering.
Off road the Metal Cloak has amazing articulation, handles everything very well.
Now to save up for a 6.2 LS V8 with the 6L80 auto transmission MoTech LS Kit & I'm done
& ready to take on anything!

Snarf77
01-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Have the Metal Cloak 3.5 lift with the six pack shocks.
On the road it handles exceptionally well, especially cornering.
Off road the Metal Cloak has amazing articulation, handles everything very well.
Now to save up for a 6.2 LS V8 with the 6L80 auto transmission MoTech LS Kit & I'm done
& ready to take on anything!

I too have the metacloak full gamechanger. I love how it handles on-road. Far superior to stock. It also articulates extremely well off road. Keep in mind its a mid-arm kit that performs about like a long arm. With more money you could make something articulate a little more but I don't know why I would. I'm happy knowing that I didn't have to do any major cutting on my jeep and that I still articulate with the best of them. +1 for Metalcloak.

Rexx19
01-09-2015, 12:30 PM
I too have the metacloak full gamechanger. I love how it handles on-road. Far superior to stock. It also articulates extremely well off road. Keep in mind its a mid-arm kit that performs about like a long arm. With more money you could make something articulate a little more but I don't know why I would. I'm happy knowing that I didn't have to do any major cutting on my jeep and that I still articulate with the best of them. +1 for Metalcloak.

I think the test for Metalcloak and any lift really is submersion in mud. Once you get that dry grit inside those polymer pieces, it may not remain so tight handling. Same with the metal on metal fittings others use. The problem is, as those parts get beat up, its a gradual change from tight to loose, that the every day driver may not notice that his rig is not what it used to be.

We'd have to take the arms apart in a few years to really tell who is durable and who is not. Its going to come down to who's gear is sealed the best, and how hard the driver is on the rig.

Pznivy
01-12-2015, 10:05 PM
AEV is top notch for some stuff, the lift kit may be the closest thing to stock with big tires, but if you want to twist it, your gonna want something else. I know RK is always the first name thrown....must be a reason.