PDA

View Full Version : looking for skid plate recommendations

ljvsnyder
12-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Well I am planning a wheeling trip out to Colorado this Summer and want to get some skid plates to protect the oil pan and transmission. I have been looking at M.O.R.E., Evo Protek and E autogrills of of Ebay. I would like to get River Raider or something along that lines, but that isn't in the budget. What are you running and the pros and cons of each. I do intend to put on a Rancho/Dynomax crossover exhaust extension to prevent my drive shaft from rubbing on the exhaust.

Gunner
12-29-2014, 04:05 PM
I think my frien still has her river raider setup for sale. I think she had it pretty cheap. I will check.

ljvsnyder
12-29-2014, 05:00 PM
ok thank you.

Gunner
12-29-2014, 10:21 PM
She said she still has it and is pulling it out of storage. I don't think she wants a lot for it. I'll let you know.

ljvsnyder
12-29-2014, 10:22 PM
ok let me know, shipping maybe an issue. what region does she live in?

JeepLab
12-30-2014, 12:06 AM
do you want to go long arm in the future? it matters for belly protection

ljvsnyder
12-30-2014, 09:25 AM
I don't think so, at most I will upgrade to RK 2.5" and I don't think long arm is necessary at that length. Is there any benefit to going with a long arm kit? And if so what belly protection is compatible?

Yoinkers
01-02-2015, 12:56 PM
did you look at the genrite flat belly kit?

That's super cool.

ljvsnyder
01-02-2015, 01:48 PM
i did but their documentation says it won't work with stock gas tank. after looking at that i have thought about buying a sheet of 3/16 aluminium and making my own belly pan. has to be plenty of usuable bolt holes.

ljvsnyder
01-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Gunner did your friend say how much she wants for her skid? And is it just thenoil pan and transmission skid?

2me
01-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Subscribed

Yoinkers
01-06-2015, 01:20 PM
im subscribed too. Skids are a black box for jeepers i think. heavy, and constricting the options for lifts.

You really need to be final on your lift before getting into belly protection.

ljvsnyder
01-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Well, since this is my daily driver I won't be going extreme with any lift, I currently run 1.5" springs and at sometime may upgrade to RK 2.5" springs, but won't go beyond a max travel system. If I were to get to the point of were this is just a play vehicle then I would probably look at something like Genrights belly pan, but I don't see my self going to an extreme trail rig anytime soon. Light rocks, mainly trails. Looking to just protect the transmission and oil pan, as they look pretty vulnerable with just the stock skid cross bar. I like the ebay one for the price and kicking myself for not buying them when they were $99.00, but still at $199.00 not a bad piece to start with that will give enough protection and not hurt if I were to need to upgrade due to suspension changes. Although the Evo system looks good when you look underneath. Now if there were a new company looking for a product review I would definitely put them on and put it through the paces in true lab style.