PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new jeeplab member

Oldjeepguy
01-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Greetings to the jeeplab members. Thought I should post up since I joined over the holidays. I really enjoy reading thru the threads and especially those about JK 3.6L performance. I am fairly new to JK ownership and appreciate all the info posted in this forum. Great info and discussions.
I bought my 2012 JKUR automatic last July with 25K miles on the clock. Had to fly from Denver to Dayton, Ohio and then up to Lima, OH to pick it up - all that because it was the only Gecko JKUR I could find at the time (the wife picked the color). I got to know the JK on the drive home and was fairly impressed with the refinements, handling and power (at lower elevations anyway). I "promised" the wife to keep this jeep stock for a while although the deal on slightly used Zeon winch, another deal on a Warn winch bumper, Viair system, Teraflex leveling kit, a Superchips Trail dash and a Afe CAI have all been "incorporated" into the stock setup.
I have been reading everything I can on the SC setups. Losing 20% of the power at this elevation really hurts the performance of the 3.6L so a SC is certainly one option to consider. The threads about shifting issues on the Supercharged automatics does cause me to consider other options but any decisions is a ways down the road anyway so I will keep reading the updates and when appropriate will add comments or posts.

OBTW, while the JK is a new experience to me jeeping is not. I've been jeeping/wheeling for many years (CJ-5, CJ-7, YJ (still have it), TJ and Grand Cherokee) and have been down the never-ending upgrade path many times (if it works OK push it until it breaks, if it breaks go bigger)

Sorry for the lengthy post but thought I should introduce myself before posting in the threads.

gbaumann
01-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Welcome and Happy New Year! Looking forward to your input.

JeepLab
01-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Gecko is one of the best jeep colors of all time. I think the 2014 colors are sooooo boring. My truck is black. I really went the safe route. (i wouldnt change her now she is part of the family)

I think the best jeep colors of all time are - gecko, winter chill, commando. In no order. maybe anvil.

and yours has a story about how you had to hunt it down.

Good to have you with us. Post away!

Pznivy
01-05-2015, 11:04 PM
look at the Prodigy turbo,

They swear the auto shifts without issue, make them tell you the same thing. The turbo is by definition superior with altitude.

Maybe inferior in the rocks with less throttle control, but if they promise it will shift at full throttle, thats your mod.

WhiteRavenRR
01-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the Lab. It's good to get more input from as many different people as we can.

ljvsnyder
01-06-2015, 09:25 AM
welcome, and look forward to reviews and input.

Yoinkers
01-06-2015, 01:18 PM
x2 on the turbo being the automatic high altitude choice. How much of a wheeler are you? How high is the elevation we are talking about

Also - Welcome! great to have new blood. Give us a pic of your rig!

Oldjeepguy
01-07-2015, 09:48 PM

Here's a pic of the new-to-me 2012 JKUR.

Regarding any of the boosted options - do any of them meet emissions standards? I'm in the Denver metro area so eventually the JK will need to go in for e-testing.

Timmy
01-08-2015, 03:06 AM
Losing 20% of the power at this elevation...

Welcome new "Oldjeepguy." I would like to applaud you for your use of the word "elevation" instead of "altitude." The sign of a true Coloradoan, after all, we aren't magically floating a mile above the earth now are we?

I "promised" the wife to keep this jeep stock for a while

Haha, now there's some funny *#@! right there. You mean like she promises not to buy another pair of shoes? Let the upgrades begin!

2k13jk
01-08-2015, 11:50 AM
i believe ripp and edelbrock are the only companies to have pending carb eo#

Oldjeepguy
01-08-2015, 08:36 PM
x2 on the turbo being the automatic high altitude choice. How much of a wheeler are you? How high is the elevation we are talking about

Also - Welcome! great to have new blood. Give us a pic of your rig!

Thanks everyone. I do some pretty extreme rock crawling but that's with my 88 YJ - the JK will see some moderate mountain trails only some of which are at 12K ft. or more. And there is always Moab for some fun in the sun on the slickrock. I do plan on some serious belly armor before this season starts - most likely from TnT Customs - they make some great stuff and are just up the road in Cheyenne, WY. Also I did promise not too much lift on it since the wife enjoys being able to jump in this jeep..........so maybe 35's and a 3" lift max sometime in the future (like when the OEM tires wear down :confused:)

Oldjeepguy
01-08-2015, 08:41 PM
i believe ripp and edelbrock are the only companies to have pending carb eo#

Thanks for the info. I've certainly read much about the Ripp install here and on other forums - it was the first #1 on my list. Have not seen anything about the Eddy unit yet. I like the Magnuson's clean install just have not heard any positives about the auto shifting resolution. Read a lot on the Sprintex - another clean install but again have not yet heard how it does with autos.

Rexx19
01-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I've certainly read much about the Ripp install here and on other forums - it was the first #1 on my list. Have not seen anything about the Eddy unit yet. I like the Magnuson's clean install just have not heard any positives about the auto shifting resolution. Read a lot on the Sprintex - another clean install but again have not yet heard how it does with autos.

I like the Ripp too.