PDA

View Full Version : Lightest possible 37'' Tire Combo

JeepLab
02-17-2014, 05:16 PM
When going to 37s. There are two issues to consider when it comes to power loss.

The goal is to not to reduce the power gained by installing the RIPP Supercharger.

The tire choice was simple. The BFG KM2 is the lightest option when it comes to 37s. Its also the quietest option which was a concern when deciding on a 37" Mud Terrain Tire. The BFG KM2 weighs in at 68lbs. in the 37x1250r17 size.

The wheel HAD to be the lightest wheel we could find. It was the Weld Racing t58. It weighed in at less than 25 lbs.

Overall we went from the 305 Duratrac (34") to the 37" KM2 gainin only about 5lbs per wheel.

73 74 75 76

Pete
02-23-2014, 04:10 PM
I see the weight difference as 5lbs from the duratracs, what was the difference from stock if you know offhand?

JeepLab
02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
I think stock wheels and tires are around 75lbs. Wheel is about 27-30 lbs, and the tire is around 47lbs.

Snarf77
02-23-2014, 06:05 PM
I just had mounted 37 12.50 KM2s to a set of Centerline forged aluminum wheels. This thread has me wanting to measure my wheels and tires in comparison. I went with the KM2s after all the solid things i've read about them.

JeepLab
02-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Get a weight on those forged centerlines, and lets compare weight. Both are 17x8.5 Same tires mounted.

Centerline vs. Weld........

Snarf77
02-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Get a weight on those forged centerlines, and lets compare weight. Both are 17x8.5 Same tires mounted.

Centerline vs. Weld........

My spare is in my jeep at the moment - no rear carrier solution. The jeep is getting xpel wrapped. When it gets home, I'll throw the spare on the scale and see where we're at!

JeepLab
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
My spare is in my jeep at the moment - no rear carrier solution. The jeep is getting xpel wrapped. When it gets home, I'll throw the spare on the scale and see where we're at!

How much do you think the powder coat weighs?

Pznivy
03-05-2014, 04:00 PM
My money would be on the Welds in this case for no reason other than that the design has bigger holes than the centerlines.

When your talking about fractions of an oz. since both wheels are going to be very light, I think that the style will make the difference more than the powder coat.

Regardless. Welds....by a smidge

JeepLab
03-06-2014, 09:27 PM
We'll have to see how that powdercoat stands up to a rock.

Snarf77
03-07-2014, 10:00 AM
We'll have to see how that powdercoat stands up to a rock.

I'm sure the Welds will be lighter, but by a relatively thin margin. This is a wholly uneducated guess, but fun to make. The powdercoat doesn't weigh MUCH..but it has some weight. Keep in mind its probably only 3-5 Mils thick. Thicker than paint, but not so thick as to add a ton of weight.

My crystal ball will tell me that both sets will be relatively light compared to any other wheel/tire combo considering the light weight of the KM2s.

Powder and metal both perform poorly vs. rocks. Powder can be touched up with a rock hit vice scratching with metal and the Weld black coating. BUT, metal can be polished. Give or take. I'll probably touch them up in between tire sets every couple years.

JeepLab
03-07-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm sure the Welds will be lighter, but by a relatively thin margin. This is a wholly uneducated guess, but fun to make. The powdercoat doesn't weigh MUCH..but it has some weight. Keep in mind its probably only 3-5 Mils thick. Thicker than paint, but not so thick as to add a ton of weight.

My crystal ball will tell me that both sets will be relatively light compared to any other wheel/tire combo considering the light weight of the KM2s.

Powder and metal both perform poorly vs. rocks. Powder can be touched up with a rock hit vice scratching with metal and the Weld black coating. BUT, metal can be polished. Give or take. I'll probably touch them up in between tire sets every couple years.

with the 8.5" width, you may not hit rocks with them. The tire pushes out farther than the wheel in most cases.... They might be perfect when you strip the tires.

Snarf77
03-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Well, The official weight is in, verified three times on a digital scale. My Centerline forged aluminum wheels and tires each weigh in at a hair over 105 pounds. That's significantly heavier than those weld wheels you have. Both are intended for the off road community and good use so I imagine both are intended to hold up. I wouldn't mind shedding 10 pounds of weight on each corner!

JeepLab
03-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Im going to go in the garage right now and get to the bottom of this.

JeepLab
03-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Ok here it is.

I weighted the tire on this bathroom scale. Looks like 100 exactly.

If you are just joining us, its a-

Weld Racing t58 17x8.5
BFG Goodrich KM2 37x12.5r17

So they ended up being closer than we thought.

This is a dirty tire tho. Im not sure how many oz. of road grime or dirt are on it. But whatever. 100lbs.

Snarf77
03-10-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm more comfortable believing a 5ish pound difference than a 10 pound difference. 5 pounds is a lot to shave off of a wheel and keep it's strength.

Pznivy
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
keep in mind, as the wheels spin they get even heavier.

Objects spinning gain mass. This is the basis of orbit, and a reason why you should always sacrifice style for weight.

Snarf77
03-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Well I think those Weld wheels have both the style and weight advantage. I suppose style is personal and I love my wheels, but I don't think anyone can argue those welds aren't great looking! And they are 5ish pounds lighter than my forged aluminum babies.

Deola
03-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Sooo tempting

Yoinkers
03-17-2014, 07:58 PM
You guys seem bent on weight... And bent on 37s.

is weight a big deal with smaller tires? Or should i make my tire pick based on weight rather than tread?

JeepLab
03-17-2014, 09:05 PM
The bigger you go on tires, the more serious weight becomes.

Smaller tires, it means less...but whatever you do to your new jeep, realize that everything ADDS weight. Very few mods make your truck lighter.

Every ounce drains your power. So yes, weight is the first thing i look at for tires. tread is second.

You will find, the manufacturers that make the lighter mud tires also make the best treads and spend the most research on development. BFG and Goodyear.

Deola
03-18-2014, 04:23 PM
You guys seem bent on weight... And bent on 37s.

is weight a big deal with smaller tires? Or should i make my tire pick based on weight rather than tread?

I think the first thing you should consider is your location and how you are going to use you jeep. Then pick the style that suits your driving conditions. Then compare all the brands that make that style tire and compare their weights. Finally pick which one fits within your budget.

Deola
03-20-2014, 01:09 PM
I think I figured a way to make 37s lighter than 35s on the same wheels I'm already running(aev saverge). Do away with the spare, mount a viar system under the hood( cheaper than a 37"tire), and keep a plug kit in the center console. I would also be able to drop an additional 39 lbs from my swing away spare tire carrier. I've never not run a spare, and the worst damage I've had to a tire was easily fixed with a plug. Another pro would be I could actually see out of my rear window before backing over a Prius. Haha. Also this would lower my COG.

Deola
03-20-2014, 01:11 PM
I want your input on the above thought process. I'm also wondering if my aev 2.5 lift with flat flares and 37s will help or hurt my articulation off road vs the same lift with the current 35" tires