PDA

View Full Version : New member from NJ and have a question for all of you

RJDinNJ
02-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Well Im about to pull the plug on a charger, but i can't figure out which one, I have a 2011 rubi unlimited, 4.56 running 37s, volant snorkel kit, i also have 176k and yes i bought jeep brand new lol so yes i do a lot of driving on the highway and all over... So my question is what charger does everyone recommend i would even consider running the prodigy turbo system... only thing is i would like to keep my volant snorkel kit!... Im a little worried about the turbo because i know how hot they get and i will down in the pine barrens in NJ and water could be an issue being sucked in if i can't run my snorkel, also has anyone installed the high altitude pulley on the chargers and have they noticed a big difference ?? Thanks and i really enjoy your forum!!!

2k13jk
02-21-2015, 08:13 PM
I like and have no problems with my ripp on my 2013 jk but if you have a 175000 miles i really suggest doing a compression check and make sure your engine is up to par to handle boost

RJDinNJ
02-21-2015, 08:31 PM
That did cross my mind was thinking about just getting a fresh 3.8 before supercharging it or just slap on the supercharger and run it to the motor blows lol

UselessPickles
02-21-2015, 09:18 PM
I've seen pictures of a 3.8 Wrangler with a Prodigy turbo and a snorkel over in the UAE. I don't know any details about how the install of the snorkel was accomplished, but it's at least possible.

Both Magnuson and Sprintex retain the stock air box, so your snorkel should work with those kits without any modification.

You're far enough north that the 25*F minimum cold start temperature of the Vortech supercharger (used in the RIPP kit) may be an issue for you.

Directly from Vortech's owners manual (http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/94.pdf):

In order to achieve the low noise level of Vortech
superchargers, Vortech specifies manufacturing
procedures that call for minimal internal clearance.
These precise tolerances however are not
conducive to temperatures below 25° F. Therefore,
storing the vehicle in a heated garage and/or
employing the use of an engine block
heater/aftermarket engine blanket is required when
the vehicle is subjected to a "cold startup" in
ambient temperatures below 25° F. Failure to
comply with this may result in immediate
supercharger failure and invalidate the
supercharger warranty.

RJDinNJ
02-21-2015, 09:26 PM
yeah yesterday when i got in my jeep it said -1 degree lol so that might be out lol ... so i guess magnuson will be the way to go... now to get a fresh motor or not lol and since I'm new i do apologize but i thought i read some where on the forum that someone has 37s and is running 4.56 with a charger does anyone know if they were happy with that setup or were they going 4.88 ( i have a manual )

Yoinkers
02-21-2015, 09:59 PM
If you are spending this kind of coin on an SC, for an engine with its best days behind it, Is it possible to get a pentastar in there? A thread around here just said that you could get one with very low miles for $2500

I would think the cost of that plus the swap, would enough of a boost of power to keep you happy for a while, THEN dump the SC on.

WhiteRavenRR
02-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Most running superchargers on this forum are running the 3.6l.

Yoinkers
02-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Most running superchargers on this forum are running the 3.6l.

The engines are different, but the mods should be close to the same, just new tuning.

Second, we need to widen the scope around here, I say, if you want to talk 3.8 Lets do it. I had one. Lets get some TJs in here!

gbaumann
02-21-2015, 10:11 PM
If you are spending this kind of coin on an SC, for an engine with its best days behind it, Is it possible to get a pentastar in there? A thread around here just said that you could get one with very low miles for $2500

I would think the cost of that plus the swap, would enough of a boost of power to keep you happy for a while, THEN dump the SC on.

There's a new 3.6 on ebay with 12 miles on it. 2,650. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Take-Out-2012-2015-Jeep-Wrangler-3-6L-Pentastar-Engine-Assembly-68082776AB-/191516077879?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c973f6f37&vxp=mtr

RJDinNJ
02-21-2015, 10:34 PM
That would be nice but not sure what that entails, i know trans would bolt right up and figure engine would drop right in maybe just battery relocate new computer but besides that not sure, i read somewhere that AEV was selling low mileage engines cheap because of all the engine swaps they do so...

RJDinNJ
02-21-2015, 10:40 PM
theres also a brand new 3.8l on ebay for 3800 so I'm sure its cheaper to just get a new 3.8l long block... just wish these hemi swaps didn't cost 20k+ lol

2k13jk
02-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Is that really true you cant start the jeep with a vortech under 25 degrees ? i start mine everyday in new york this week it was 5 degrees when i started it?

KaiserBill
02-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Is that really true you cant start the jeep with a vortech under 25 degrees ? i start mine everyday in new york this week it was 5 degrees when i started it?

What they are usually worried with low temperatures is that it takes longer for the oil to reach the ball-bearings and thus causes more wear. Large truck engines tend run pre-lubrication pumps so that you pressurize the entire system including the turbo before you start up. It saves on wear big time. They also have post-lube capabilities too. So, instead of running your engine for 5-6 minutes at idle after driving to work-- you can just hit a switch and the system continues to lube the system until you turn it off.

http://www.prelub.com/web/Engine-Pre-Lube/pre-lube.html
http://www.prelub.com/web/Engine-Pre-Lube/post-lube.html

I plan on adding both system to my truck for my trip to Alaska.

UselessPickles
02-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Read the official word of Vortech:

Owners manual has an "important cold weather information" section: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/94.pdf

Warranty document specifically mentions a cold start-up under 25*F without a heater in the list of things that will invalidate the warranty: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/92.pdf

Like many other official limitations, I'm sure there's a "buffer zone" built in to their specification. If it seems to start just fine at temps below 25*F, is it causing accelerated wear and tear? It's up to you to decide whether to take the risk, or adhere to the guidelines to ensure warranty coverage.

UselessPickles
02-22-2015, 08:57 PM
What they are usually worried with low temperatures is that it takes longer for the oil to reach the ball-bearings and thus causes more wear.

For the Vortech specifically, it's more about tight tolerances (as they explicitly state in their owner's manual; see links in my previous post), so the problem would be different parts of the supercharger being made of different materials that expand/contract differently with temp changes. Below a certain temperature, you are at risk of having parts parts touching each other that should not be touching each other.

2k13jk
02-23-2015, 08:23 AM
How do you guys feel about the stock jk exhaust on a 2013 being restrictive while running a ripp super charger?