PDA

View Full Version : Yoinkers... You're funny guy...

KaiserBill
02-23-2015, 05:58 PM
This is what I think of Yukon parts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c

Snarf77
02-23-2015, 06:23 PM
This is what I think of Yukon parts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzyAVPTM8c

I'm at a loss man. What does that diff locker test between ARB and Yukon have to do with my beast mode driveshafts?

KaiserBill
02-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Simple, I don't think I would take the advice of Yukon Parts dealers about add on products.

Yoinkers
02-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Simple, I don't think I would take the advice of Yukon Parts dealers about add on products.

lots of yukon gear used in this forum. no failures. Second, Adams is its own thing. teamed up with yukon maybe for sales, but the parts do not come from the same factory.

KaiserBill
02-24-2015, 07:17 AM
lots of yukon gear used in this forum. no failures. Second, Adams is its own thing. teamed up with yukon maybe for sales, but the parts do not come from the same factory.

It is like the drive thru window--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWfaiTLPUKQ

Miles Away Before You Know It!!!

Snarf77
02-24-2015, 12:37 PM
It is like the drive thru window--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWfaiTLPUKQ

Miles Away Before You Know It!!!

Are you here to just sh*t on everyone's threads? Try to add something if you can and then go check any of the major jeep forums about experience with Adam's Driveshaft; you'll see the majority of folks are more than pleased. With the internet, there is always a sour apple (case and point, your post), but I know I did my reading before i committed my jeep to shafts that will be there a while.

Adam's driveshafts are right up there with the best. I personally feel Yukon parts are great. My 4.88s are going steady now for over a year. Besides, yukon customer service rocks. I fail to see how them sharing a good product with us somehow lessens the quality of it.

I'm anxious to finish up my front shaft install tonight and take it for a spin tomorrow. New shafts. New tune. Come on warm weather!

KaiserBill
02-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Are you here to just sh*t on everyone's threads? Try to add something if you can and then go check any of the major jeep forums about experience with Adam's Driveshaft; you'll see the majority of folks are more than pleased. With the internet, there is always a sour apple (case and point, your post), but I know I did my reading before i committed my jeep to shafts that will be there a while.

Adam's driveshafts are right up there with the best. I personally feel Yukon parts are great. My 4.88s are going steady now for over a year. Besides, yukon customer service rocks. I fail to see how them sharing a good product with us somehow lessens the quality of it.

I'm anxious to finish up my front shaft install tonight and take it for a spin tomorrow. New shafts. New tune. Come on warm weather!

Just helping the world out.... I cannot help it you bought a Yukon Gear Set. Hopefully Adams is better.

KaiserBill
02-24-2015, 10:08 PM
You're right I don't use Yukon gears. I have a set custom gears being cut for me. Double heat treated, bead blasted and cryo treated at the end after being hand lapped. That is in my T-Case... I also don't use Adams Shafts they are too small for my truck. I have 5 drive shafts custom for the truck coming. They are similar to DANA 1710 Glide Shafts but made from 4340. I do like Ouverson parts. They are good. I plan using their differential gears sets , axle shafts, and girdles for the Rockwell Axles. With ARB Air Lockers.

But I have seen them break in action. I usually follow Top Gear Rules and leave people with Yukon parts where they break down. This dude doesn't abide by people who buy cheaply made parts.

Timmy
02-25-2015, 01:28 AM
You're right I don't use Yukon gears. I have a set custom gears being cut for me. Double heat treated, bead blasted and cryo treated at the end after being hand lapped. That is in my T-Case... I also don't use Adams Shafts they are too small for my truck. I have 5 drive shafts custom for the truck coming. They are similar to DANA 1710 Glide Shafts but made from 4340. I do like Ouverson parts. They are good. I plan using their differential gears sets , axle shafts, and girdles for the Rockwell Axles. With ARB Air Lockers.

But I have seen them break in action. I usually follow Top Gear Rules and leave people with Yukon parts where they break down. This dude doesn't abide by people who buy cheaply made parts.

I'm curious... Do tell about your rig? I keep hearing 3 axle this, video's of military vehicles that, etc. Everything you talk about seems to be bigger and better than what everyone else is installing, purchasing or running. Can't wait to see a picture of this rig and learn more about it ;-)

KaiserBill
02-25-2015, 01:34 AM
I'm curious... Do tell about your rig? I keep hearing 3 axle this, video's of military vehicles that, etc. Everything you talk about seems to be bigger and better than what everyone else is installing, purchasing or running. Can't wait to see a picture of this rig and learn more about it ;-)

Bigger is better. Bigger is better Timmy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ow9Ij8XUHs

And if possible wear a viking helmet and smoke a fine Cigar!

Yoinkers
02-25-2015, 08:39 AM

Ok, now post a video where yukon gears fail. They are garbage right? should be plenty of videos on failure.

The truth is, yukon is the best option in gears. If they are not your choice in gears and axles, then you are on a budget. Does anyone else promise silent gears?

Now to the driveshaft. have you driven yet? any difference in driving? any noise? vibration?

Timmy
02-25-2015, 10:04 AM

So is that your rig in the video?

KaiserBill
02-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by KaiserBill View Post

Ok, now post a video where yukon gears fail. They are garbage right? should be plenty of videos on failure.

The truth is, yukon is the best option in gears. If they are not your choice in gears and axles, then you are on a budget. Does anyone else promise silent gears?

Now to the driveshaft. have you driven yet? any difference in driving? any noise? vibration?

So, as you can see my truck is much bigger than a Jeep. I used to belong to an offroad club they didn't take to well to my one rule if you buy crap parts I leave you stranded in the woods! It is sort of a culling of the heard philosophy I have. Survival of the fittest if you will. Social Darwinism at its most basic level. They also didn't like the fact I left 20inch deep ruts by 18 - 20 inches wide. I don't do clean up, I do demo work only! It was my short and very unproductive time within that club that learned to facts: 1) never buy Yukon Parts and 2) just because people can put stuff on their trucks usually doesn't mean they understand it one bit.

So, I've been accumulating all the parts i need for truck's rebuild over the last 3-4 years. For awhile I had an obsession with CTIS (I still like like it) but I've decided that the extra expense of putting M35A3 axles and CTIS system doesn't out weigh the extra costs associated with it. Especially, since I found out from the company that manufactures it that it wouldn't be easily winterized for -40F or lower temperatures. So, I've abandoned that idea-- I would like to see what the Kraz Trucks use for CTIS it works in -65 reliably, so maybe I'll call them up and is if I can purchase that system.

So, here are the parts I either have or am in the process of purchasing:

CAT 3116 Mil Spec 170hp at 2700rpm with 420ft-lbs of torque at 1550rpm going to uprate it to 210hp possibly 230hp at 2700rpm looking for a peak torque of about 520-620ft-lbs at 1550rpm without MW-50. With MW-50 290hp to 310hp at 2700rpm and peak torque about 620ft-lbs to 720ft-lbs.

Eaton Fuller 6spd Manual Gear Box-- with OD rated 860ft-lbs of torque.

3 ARB Airlockers -- for 2.5ton Rockwell Axles

Dual Circuit Break System

Air-ride Seats

Hard Top

Fuel Fired Personal heater and Coolant Heater heater for cab.

Some new odds and ends in the cab

Ouverson Front Axle Kit Ouverson Axle Shafts for the Tandem units, Girdles for all three axles, Gear Sets 6.72:1 for all three axles.

Custom T-Case Gears-- rated to handle 5000Ft-lbs of input torque and output torque of about 60,000ft-lbs.

Drive Shafts custom rated to handle 8,5000ft-lbs of torque.

7 MPT 81 365/85R20 Tires--

7 custom bead locking 2 piece rims 20"x10" for tires.

20K LB Hydraulic Front Winch

So, yeah I have a budget about 50K... I've already spent about 12,000K on the project and I'm still collecting parts and when I get them all hopefully by the end of the summer I'll install them. So, what were you saying about being on budget like it is a dig? Yeah, I am on a budget a 50K one! And when I'm all done Alaska's Arctic here I come.

So, yeah I don't think much of Yukon Products. I also do not think much of mall crawlers.

KaiserBill
02-25-2015, 10:32 AM
So is that your rig in the video?

That's the Duke, which is my M35A2. I've owned it for 8 years now. I love it. But it does have problems-- things I'm improving. ANd that is me with the Viking Helmet and Cigar.... I need a better Viking Helmet too... I found really cool one on the internet that I am going to purchase.

Timmy
02-25-2015, 11:21 AM
That's the Duke, which is my M35A2. I've owned it for 8 years now. I love it. But it does have problems-- things I'm improving. ANd that is me with the Viking Helmet and Cigar.... I need a better Viking Helmet too... I found really cool one on the internet that I am going to purchase.

So, tell us about your Jeep! The Duke is cool and all, but no offense, I'm more interested in hearing about Jeeps.

KaiserBill
02-25-2015, 11:23 AM
It is a jeep-- it was made by kaiser-jeep in 1970.

Timmy
02-25-2015, 12:01 PM
It is a jeep-- it was made by kaiser-jeep in 1970.

Sorry, still not interested in hearing much about it. BTW, nice that you claim it's a Hummer when you want it to be a Hummer (say in the poll I had created) and now call it a Jeep when you want it to be a Jeep.

I already drive a wildcard-- AM General M35A2 it has been my daily driver for 8 years now. Other then my company truck.

WhiteRavenRR
02-25-2015, 12:19 PM
You should never leave someone behind just because of their choice of equipment. Every persons budget is different. There's no reason to treat people as such. We are all trying to enjoy the same pastime. I also don't take lightly to people who tear sh** up and doesn't give a crap whether they do or not. It's people like you that give the rest of us a bad rap and the reason why many off road clubs have to continue the fight to keep ORV parks open. I can see why you had a short stay in that club.

KaiserBill
02-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Sorry, still not interested in hearing much about it. BTW, nice that you claim it's a Hummer when you want it to be a Hummer (say in the poll I had created) and now call it a Jeep when you want it to be a Jeep.

In 1967 Studebaker went belly up and they Sold Kaiser the General Production Division- this included the military contract for the 2.5 and 5 ton vehicles. Kaiser gave the Indiana Production facility over to Jeep. The Trucks were rebadged from 1968 onwards as Kaiser-Jeep M35A2's or the five ton models were called M54's. In 1970 Kaiser was purchased by Renault. But due to the laws at the time no foreign company could own a company producing vital military products. The Kaiser-Jeep Division was sold to American Motors Company. They Created for the Military Contract the AM General Badge for the military trucks. However, trucks were already on the production line from 1970-1971 were all badged with left over Kaiser-Jeep Badges since they were still in supply. Since my truck is a 1970- it is hard to tell if the truck is truly just an Am General or Kaiser-Jeep Product since it could have been started as a Kaiser-Jeep product and finished as Am General product. Also at no time did I call it a hummer. You had a poll option for wildcard not a jeep-- I picked that one.

KaiserBill
02-25-2015, 02:57 PM
You should never leave someone behind just because of their choice of equipment. Every persons budget is different. There's no reason to treat people as such. We are all trying to enjoy the same pastime. I also don't take lightly to people who tear sh** up and doesn't give a crap whether they do or not. It's people like you that give the rest of us a bad rap and the reason why many off road clubs have to continue the fight to keep ORV parks open. I can see why you had a short stay in that club.

I'm there to do my thing-- if you didn't prepare correctly[purchase the best stuff possible] or cannot handle the terrain-- I leave you in the dust. I find it a great imposition by people to expect to be molly-cuddled by other people who are better prepared or better equipped. Maybe this has to do with the fact that I prefer to go off road alone. However, that being said I feel no obligation to damage my vehicle rescuing yours. So, yes, I will leave you in the ditch every time. I might even laugh at you and point as I drive by. If it is a water obstacle I'll pull you the person out of the water-- the ark you sank in-- no! Better get that vehicle some water wings.

My truck is 13,500lbs unloaded and 18,500lbs fully loaded off road-- so you figure out of course it is going to leave marks on the Earth it is impossible not to. If it rains and you have soft ground I will dig in 20 inches deep and create furrows the size of my four dual rear tires. That is a fact of life. I like the big stuff and it does more damage that is just the reality of playing with the big stuff. I usually, like to play in rock quarries and other areas where plenty of damage is already done to minimize it. However, that being said I'm hell on a good field in Spring with V-bars acting like mud chains. I really need a more aggressive type of chain for Alaska.

Snarf77
02-25-2015, 03:31 PM

Brother, he'll never see your point. Do like Elsa and let it go. I've driven all kinds of large vehicles...I'd never want to own one or take one off road at an off road park. Booooo rrrriiiinnng. Ever seen a deuce and a half rock crawl? Nah. But Kaiser does his thing and has an opinion and that is what he's sticking too.

KaiserBill
02-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Brother, he'll never see your point. Do like Elsa and let it go. I've driven all kinds of large vehicles...I'd never want to own one or take one off road at an off road park. Booooo rrrriiiinnng. Ever seen a deuce and a half rock crawl? Nah. But Kaiser does his thing and has an opinion and that is what he's sticking too.

I've seen a Tatra T 813 rock crawl. I've rock crawled over stuff with my M35... I'm more into a Dresden Braslau Rally stuff or truck trial stuff.... Rock Crawling is boring to me. Give a raging river, an open field that will become a quagmire of mud 3 feet deep and I'm happy; Oh and give me a good 40 inch snow storm-- love snow. I like rock walls I usually drive over them no problem. With the new lockers in the truck the off camber stuff with it be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqFqapalVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vWwrpnMhXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDOlRO96sl8

The smallest I would go is a Unimog u900 but I like the u1300 and u1500 series a lot. But really when in doubt I go bigger!

Timmy
02-25-2015, 04:47 PM
I just realized how much I'd like to see you and your rig on the next Alaska Offroad Warriors show. I have a feeling you and your rig would make for some very entertaining TV.

http://www.history.com/shows/alaska-off-road-warriors/videos

KaiserBill
02-25-2015, 06:05 PM
I just realized how much I'd like to see you and your rig on the next Alaska Offroad Warriors show. I have a feeling you and your rig would make for some very entertaining TV.

http://www.history.com/shows/alaska-off-road-warriors/videos

I just don't think that show is really a history show. I'm not a fan of it. But I would love to trek across Siberia in Winter. Too bad Putin is being a moron.

Rexx19
02-25-2015, 07:10 PM
My take on KaiserBill -

The horned helmet says it all. Seems like a wrecking ball of a person, Will ruffle your feathers if you take him too seriously, I think snarf got caught in that trap.

"I leave guys in the woods" Probably not, I know these gruff fellas, They talk a big story about being hard on rookies, but then are canibalizing their own rigs to help a less experienced wheeler out of a jam.

Maybe he spoke out of turn about Yukon, but lets all get past it. It takes one bad experience with a product to hate it. And the internet is loaded with experts.

KaiserBill
02-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Don't screw with Horned Helmet and Cigar. I think that is necessary equipment.

Well, the reality is that I cannot go off road in the company of smaller trucks than myself. I'm too big and even when I don't mean to do damage to the trail I do. That's the reality. Think about it if you have 37 inch tires and I have 41.70 inch tires and I'm sinking into the mud 12-20 inches at points you don't have the clearance to follow in my tracks. You have maybe 8 inches of ground clearance with a 4" lift .which is the highest practical lift to operate with on the road. So that simply means that you are stuck in my ruts all day long and I'm stuck pulling you out. So basically, I really cannot go out with normal small trucks. I have to go so far behind people that it is boring for me. Which is sort of a bummer.

There are some logging roads that reaction out into the mountains where I go but I cannot film their because well it is not legal for me to go. But I do. In the Spring I give the Skidders a good run for their money when it comes to mud creation. Nor can I film in the quarry it is the town quarry!

As for pulling out trucks-- well that is easy but, I can damage vehicles very easily with the brute force of the truck. In low range this truck will just keep pulling until it rips off parts of the others' vehicle. And it would take 3 to 4 jeeps to extract myself from a mud pit. So, I just go places by myself. It makes it easier-- a little boring at times but easier because i don't have to worry about the other vehicles of smaller size traveling behind me.

You're right I really don't leave people behind- I just don't go out with others because it is way way too hard. But I wanted to see what sort of reaction I would get if I used the Top Gear Rules...

As for Yukon Products-- no, I don't like them at all. I've seen several failures of the gear sets in relatively easy driving applications. But, hey if people like them what do I care. I would as I said just get gears from a custom gear shop or a company like Ouverson. Then again I have basically no other choices for my 2.5 ton Rockwell Axles but Ouverson or custom gear shops. And the Rockwell Transfercase I can only have custom gears made for it because no one else works on it. The Drive Shafts I purchased custom only because of the size the shafts are short and DANA 1710's weren't available in my size. Otherwise I would have used them since they work fine up to the torque ratings I want. So, this was just easier and about the same price.

I like to talk about all trucks- Jeeps, Maz, Kraz, Unimogs, Urals, Tatras, Oshkoshs, Walters, FWD's, Fauns' , Deutzs, and so on. I don't believe in focusing on just one vehicle or type so on I believe in learning about them all seeing what features on each truck are the best.

Snarf77
02-26-2015, 09:00 AM
My take on KaiserBill -

The horned helmet says it all. Seems like a wrecking ball of a person, Will ruffle your feathers if you take him too seriously, I think snarf got caught in that trap.

Understanding intent on a forum is like playing poker on the internet. It just doesn't work right. Fortunately it would take a lot more than a bit of trolling to ruffle me. Doesn't mean I won't poke back if I think the opinion is ill-informed. I just think that (like you said) Kaiser is a different kind of off-roader and is outspoken. Trying to tell him publicly about the tread-lightly mantra and the negative effects of trashing the trails, will all fall on deaf-ears. Its just not his style.

That being said - he's in to the trial truck style of wheeling - which seems popular in most former soviet and eastern european countries (which I've surmised from the language in the plethora of youtube videos). Sweet. Unfortunately, there aren't many (any?) places near me where people do that kind of wheeling. I saw a deuce and half up in Rausch Creek driving through a mud hole and making a 9 point u turn.

Kaiser - seriously - what do you do if you get a flat tire with that thing or pop a bead? Do you use a bottle jack under the axle to lift it up (even small ones are rated at 20 tons) Do you just drive on the other tires to safety or a shop? Can it be done by a single person? I've seen a stryker tire changed by one person, but it took some serious effort and some staging.

What kind of mileage do you get? I get between 16 and 17 with my turbo. My carb'd v8 CJs got maybe 8-10mpg. I can't fathom what a trial truck my burn through..

KaiserBill
02-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Understanding intent on a forum is like playing poker on the internet. It just doesn't work right. Fortunately it would take a lot more than a bit of trolling to ruffle me. Doesn't mean I won't poke back if I think the opinion is ill-informed. I just think that (like you said) Kaiser is a different kind of off-roader and is outspoken. Trying to tell him publicly about the tread-lightly mantra and the negative effects of trashing the trails, will all fall on deaf-ears. Its just not his style.

That being said - he's in to the trial truck style of wheeling - which seems popular in most former soviet and eastern european countries (which I've surmised from the language in the plethora of youtube videos). Sweet. Unfortunately, there aren't many (any?) places near me where people do that kind of wheeling. I saw a deuce and half up in Rausch Creek driving through a mud hole and making a 9 point u turn.

Kaiser - seriously - what do you do if you get a flat tire with that thing or pop a bead? Do you use a bottle jack under the axle to lift it up (even small ones are rated at 20 tons) Do you just drive on the other tires to safety or a shop? Can it be done by a single person? I've seen a stryker tire changed by one person, but it took some serious effort and some staging.

What kind of mileage do you get? I get between 16 and 17 with my turbo. My carb'd v8 CJs got maybe 8-10mpg. I can't fathom what a trial truck my burn through..

Tread lightly-- I am treading lightly as 18500lbs of truck will do. I mean come on. The bigger the truck the less ecofriendly it is.

Tires: Well they aren't hard to get off the front with a proper heavy duty breaker bar and 2 ft pipe. The only problem is to remember Right Side of the truck has right hand threads and the left side has left hand threads on the tires. I use a couple of 20ton jacks and bring a serious amount of cribbage. The duals are more annoying but they can be done in the field. It is best to get to a flat spot and then repair the tires. As for the loss of a bead- not big issue since the tire is tube type-- yeah baby 1940's tech. But trying to reseat the bead in the split rims will probably get you killed in the field. It is best to put the spare on and fix in the shop with the tire cage-- that is unless you like being dead or maimed. Again 40's tech at its best!

Fuel consumption on the high is about 10mpg cruising at 50mph at 2400rpm if you do a 900 mile trip. Around town you get about 6mpg. The Trail Trucks maybe get 2-4mpg-- did you see how much black smoke-they had the injector pumps turned up very high.

Timmy
02-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Tread lightly-- I am treading lightly as 18500lbs of truck will do. I mean come on. The bigger the truck the less ecofriendly it is.

Funny, when that phrase started to become popular for off-roading, I just don't think they envisioned it being used on military vehicles. You could say the same thing about grenades and dynamite. "Blow-up lightly!" "Well, I try to blow-up as lightly as possible, but let's be real, it's 5 sticks of dynamite and there's only so much I can do to be eco-friendly with 5 sticks."

KaiserBill
03-15-2015, 06:41 PM
The truth is that if you drive off-road you will do damage to the environment. I personally, try to keep the damage to areas where its overall impact is reduced. Like blowing up 5-sticks of dynamite in a quarry and not in a pristine river bed.