PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger to Hemi Transition - Phase II

gbaumann
04-17-2015, 03:39 PM
First 1,000 miles impression:

1. 14 mpg and climbing. I was getting 14.1 with the Magnuson S/C and auto trans.

2. Engine and trans combo is spot on. Sifts are effortless. Torque management is non-existent when you place the trans in auto-man mode. Whatever gear you select it stays in unless it needs to avoid a stall when decelerating. I can put it in 4th gear and go to WOT without so much as a hint of desire to downshift!

3. Ride and handling need improvement. New weight and altered weight distribution require changes to suspension. The front end fights me at times. Movement resonates and continues longer than I deem appropriate. The new JKS track bar is holding off death wobble but more can be done. I'm working with OK4WD to get an early set of OME BP-51 bypass shocks which can be adjusted right on the truck.

4. Fun, fun, fun to drive. No other way to say it. Cherry Bomb causes perma-smile. It's just a side effect of being behind the wheel.

5. Exhaust sound is fun. Someday I'll look to quite it a bit. The hemi crack turns heads.

6. Got my first oil change at my local Jeep dealer. Took 1-1/2 hours. 30 minutes to change my oil and 1 hour for the service manager, sales manager and shop techs to give back my truck.

Phase II is going to be the suspension "dial in." Stay tuned.

JeepLab
04-17-2015, 07:22 PM
excellent info. I love that you adopted "Cherry Bomb"!

I thought you may have some suspension issues when the 400 lb weight gain was mentioned. I would look into what coil springs are used for factory 6.4 HEMI's. Not to put pick up truck springs on your Jeep, but to find out what the "spring rate" is. Thats a great way to have the right spring rate for your current weight.

Then maybe have custom springs made. Or if an aftermarket maker can certify that their springs are the same "rate". All the AEV stuff on your truck also is heavy. That bumper is 80 lbs without a winch, so your front end is like 600lbs heavier than a stock Jeep. (if you have steel cable in the winch)

I would research what springs will truly be prepared for that kind of weight. I would also consider AEV springs as they have to work with the HEMI's weight for the cost of that AEV conversion. They probably know the pitfalls of weak spring rate with that monster motor.

KaiserBill
04-17-2015, 07:36 PM
You're going to need more than just springs-- you will also need new shocks and probably should upgrade the bump stops... As for spring rate weil you will have to get an accurate measurement of the trucks front end weight and then work out what you want to do with the Jeep. Are you going off road with it ever or just moderate stuff or is this a pavement only basically vehicle? The setups will differ radically and so will the costs.

http://www.ridefox.com/filter.php?make=Jeep&t=shocks&m=truck&ref=topnav

gbaumann
04-19-2015, 07:42 AM
Re-badged Cherry.

https://instagram.com/p/1oJumPsVv-/

gbaumann
04-19-2015, 07:50 AM
I too think I'm headed for custom springs. That said, AEV stands by theirs for the hemi conversion and all their gear. The shop is advising to start with shocks. They are telling me that the OME BP-51 shocks are game changers bringing affordable bypass adjustment to JKs. I'm waiting for a schedule when they'll be available and I'll post the install.

JeepLab
04-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Id learn about the firmness settings. I know some shock makers offer options.

Rexx19
04-21-2015, 07:27 PM
Ive always thought that shocks were the thing to go cheap on. I personally cannot tell the difference between good shocks and bad ones. Springs on the other hand, I notice.