PDA

View Full Version : The NEW JL build....

JeepLab
05-05-2015, 08:31 PM
I've been on the sidelines of this site WAAAAAY too long. Hats off to all of you who have carried the torch around here while I was on the bench.

BB was at a point where there was just nothing left to do. She is the perfect jeep, and im very sorry to see her go.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

Now to look to the future. Im throwing stuff at the wall for a new build.

Im looking for suggestions. Its so easy to end up going down the same road and building the same jeep as I love the same stuff. Light weight, and gobs of power. (ive been infected by gary's hemi)

I poured my heart into Betty.

Im ready to get dirty again...

FLIPmeOVER
05-05-2015, 09:02 PM
Gonna be hard to top BB, how much lighter can you get? Aluminum suspension this time? you had those big steel RK arms before.

WhiteRavenRR
05-05-2015, 10:39 PM
I'm all for the brute force build. Let's see if you can top Tonka.

ljvsnyder
05-05-2015, 11:06 PM
full on prerunner since you have desire for a light build with maybe a vw tdi swap

Timmy
05-06-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure what you're in to, but what if you went with a touch more of a themed Jeep like this guy? I think this guy did one of the best jobs I've seen of picking a theme and sticking to it and he probably included some of the best off-roading gadgets I've ever seen on Jeep. I really like his center overhead console full of gear (about 5:13 into the video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWRF65Z1h5w

Snarf77
05-06-2015, 12:55 PM
I say get a wrecked 2 door and build it into a stretched out low COG machine - full cage and D60s. Ready for rock racing!

ljvsnyder
05-06-2015, 04:42 PM
2nd snarf77's plan.

JeepLab
05-06-2015, 08:11 PM
2nd snarf77's plan.

Id love to race. How about an Artec chassis and go buggy style? What would the power plant be?

gbaumann
05-06-2015, 08:13 PM
All aluminum LS motor.

JeepLab
05-06-2015, 08:20 PM
All aluminum LS motor.

Ok Counselor, here's the plan. Im going to go to a chevy dealer, and slip and fall. then you file suit, and we settle out of court for an LS9 motor.

Are you on board?

ljvsnyder
05-06-2015, 09:44 PM
i can handle the lawsuit if you do it in illinois.

gbaumann
05-07-2015, 02:43 PM
You're on ljvsnyder. It would be cheaper for me to buy the LS9 then to have me handle a lawsuit. At a minimum I'd get sanctioned for several violations of the rules of civil procedure. On the other hand (and for those of you who don't know) my partners and I run a real estate investment fund (REIT). I'm "that kind" of lawyer. We invest in net lease retail properties like Walgreens, CVS, Floor n Decor, Home Depot, etc. But I get to see lots of opportunities. Look what came across my desk today. It's a sale leaseback of a defense contractor's R&D facility. I wouldn't buy the facility because it's not a core market asset for my fund. But look what they make there!!!

Gunner
05-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Well what ever you do it should be with a Jeep and it should be cutting edge. Other wise your just building a buggy and it would no longer be a Jeep Lab item. If that makes sense. What if you took Betty and turned her into a full race Hammers jeep? I don't think I have seen a Show quality 4 door racer yet besides Mel's. You have the power already and the chassis. You would need a real cage and some race axles and a full suspension rework. Kind of like Mel Wades EVO1 but pretty.

ljvsnyder
05-07-2015, 06:27 PM
gbaumann you one them hi faluten attorneys. i don't to pi, i am a municipal atty, but handled my own pi case that is how i have paid in full jeep and home. what state are you in.

JeepLab
05-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Well what ever you do it should be with a Jeep and it should be cutting edge.

how to be cutting edge, without building a buggy.

When jeep guys go crazy, they end up with buggies i think. How to take it right to the edge.....

I do like a low cog, and genright makes a flat belly conversion that I think looks cool. Ive never seen it used.

Gunner
05-08-2015, 02:10 PM
One of the guys on Wrangler Forum did his own belly up at his house. It came out great. I'll look up his build thread. If you do a buggy then it might as well be Pirate but with nicer people.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/my-half-ass-build-thread-632218.html

Pznivy
05-22-2015, 10:24 PM
i love the belly up idea. How do you hold the transfer case? Is the cross member there for protection? or support?

When you take the cross member out, would the transfer case just fall out? or does it hang there?

Gunner
05-23-2015, 12:18 PM
His whole build in in that link.

Yoinkers
06-02-2015, 05:20 PM
that thing baumann posted is cool. are they on sale? Maybe skip the build and put a crazy paint job on that.

Rexx19
06-15-2015, 10:32 AM
put one of those atlanta turbos on this thing