PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Jeeps Turbo Kit

UselessPickles
06-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Looks like another turbo kit will be available for the Wrangler soon.

I first learned of it here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/has-anyone-diy-turbocharged-their-12-13-jk-471081-4.html#post19301193

It's a "small" Turbonetics turbo that makes 7 psi boost, spools up at 1800 rpm, and he claims 360 hp and 390 ft-lbs torque.

I did some inquiring and searching around. This is actually a kit being developed by Mahdavi Motorsports (facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mahdavi-Motorsports/182761758421575), website (http://mahdavimotorsports.com/)), and it will be marketed/sold under a brand/website called Atlanta Jeeps (website (http://www.atlantajeeps.com/))

Here's a post on the Mahdavi Motorsports website with several pics of the prototype kit being installed: http://mahdavimotorsports.com/?p=6425

Some interesting points:

Stock catalytic converters are retained. The resulting exhaust pipes are longer and more convoluted than Prodigy's setup, but this kit may possibly be easier to make pass emissions? (if you live in a state where that matters)
Turbo and downpipe are visibly smaller than those used in the Prodigy kit.
Some details make it appear that the install may be easier than the Prodigy kit (stock aluminum heater pipes are still in place, and the stock air box support does not need to be trimmed).
I sure hope that welding is not part of the install! It may just be fabrication of the prototype pipes.
Their stock dyno results are a bit high compared to what others have reported for stock numbers, so their turbo dyno results may also be skewed higher and not fairly comparable to other FI kits.

They are working on finalizing the kit before releasing more details. This will be interesting. It could be pretty close competition for Prodigy's kit with the new Precision turbo.

Yoinkers
06-08-2015, 09:12 PM
has anyone seen this new turbo up close?

boosted1
06-09-2015, 12:05 AM
They are working on finalizing the kit before releasing more details. This will be interesting. It could be pretty close competition for Prodigy's kit with the new Precision turbo.

Picture That!

UselessPickles
06-09-2015, 11:42 AM
has anyone seen this new turbo up close?

Probably not many people. It appears that it's still a prototype. "keathb" on the wrangler forum has been silent for quite a while. He told me that they still have some things to iron out, and also need to set up for production. I remember it took quite a while for Prodigy to transition from final prototype to availability of production kits. I think it will be multiple months at minimum before this new turbo kit could possibly be available.

Picture That!

I should revise my "close competition" statement to be "alternate approach competition". Based on Atlanta Jeeps' high stock dyno results, I predict that when directly comparing their turbo kit to Prodigy's, Atlanta's will make significantly less torque/power. But it will spool a bit earlier in the RPM range (than the Precision turbo), have a bit less turbo lag when pressing the throttle. Maybe... Atlanta does seem to have a smaller turbo (which should spool more quickly), but their pre-turbo exhaust pipes are much longer than Prodigy's, which is not good for turbo spooling.

Speaking of spooling, I asked for clarification on what exactly they mean by "spools at 1800 rpm". I have recently learned that this is an ambiguous statement. Some people use it to mean "reaches target/max boost starting at 1800 rpm" (objective) while others use it to mean "I really start feeling the turbo kick in at 1800 rpm" (subjective). When you subjectively "feel" the turbo "kick in", it's not making target/max boost yet. It's the quick ramp-up in boost/torque that you "feel".

Prodigy reports that you "feel" the Precision "kick in" at about 2000 rpm, meaning that target/max boost must be reached at some higher rpm (I'm hoping for about 2500 rpm; will test with data logs). If Atlanta's turbo actually reaches target/max boost at 1800 rpm, then it will spool significantly sooner/quicker than the Prodigy kit, and will be a compromise between max power vs low end torque/responsiveness that many Jeep owners might prefer. But if Atlanta is more subjectively describing that you "feel" the turbo "kick in" at 1800 rpm, then it will be very close to the Prodigy (with Precision turbo) in how soon/quickly it spools. If that's the case, then it probably won't be worthwhile to most people to get a turbo kit that spools only 200 rpm sooner at the cost of missing out on the awesome amount of torque/power that you could have from the Prodigy kit.

Pznivy
06-12-2015, 07:04 PM
is there a discount from prodigy for the new turbo if you bought the "old turbo"?

just wondering.

UselessPickles
06-14-2015, 08:40 PM
is there a discount from prodigy for the new turbo if you bought the "old turbo"?

just wondering.

No discount. Details here: http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?264-Another-Turbo-Option-from-Prodigy-Performance/page3&p=5280#post5280

UselessPickles
06-14-2015, 10:19 PM
I asked Atlanta Jeeps how they setup their PCV system (oil catch cans, etc). I got a reply starting with this:

The prodigy kits piping is too big on the up side, along with the turbo being too big. These items create horsepower and lag. When you want to make power down low, you use smaller diameter piping and a smaller turbo in order to make usable, steerable power.

The prodigy kit isn't practical. You should take it off and install ours, that way you will make real power that you will hear and feel the entire time your driving it at any throttle, and rpm band.

Ummm.. thanks? But I didn't ask about any of that.

They did get around to the topic I asked about... kinda. Rather than the general topic of the PCV setup, they responded specifically in terms of a particular problem they had with the PCV system (which I did not ask about, and I don't even have the same problem they had and solved):

As far as fixing the manifold pressure problem. These engines have weak Pistons and rings design. The pcv valve is bad and it took me six weeks to figure this part out and lots of money. I don't believe prodigy's numbers so therefor I can't trust them as a company. They are also our completion [sic] so I cannot reveal what I did in order to eliminate the problem. But I assure you if you purchase our kit, then you will have this annoying issue fixed, and you will have usabale [sic] power and you will feel like you got what you paid for. Thank you!

Ummm... so to get an answer about the general layout of their PCV catch can approach, I have to buy their kit? No thanks. I'll just wait for it to be available and look at pictures/descriptions of someone else's install, or look through the install guide myself. They can only keep it a secret until they sell their first kit.

And what does their distrust of Prodigy have to do with any of this? I think they're essentially saying they think I might be trying to steal secrets for Prodigy. I just wanted to know the general layout of their PCV system! I'm still undecided on what to do with my PCV system, so I was hoping they might be able to add some additional perspective for me to consider.

Rexx19
06-15-2015, 10:32 AM
pickles, does your current kit STILL not work right?

UselessPickles
06-15-2015, 01:11 PM
I assume you're referring to the PCV setup and the "annoying issue" that Atlanta Jeeps referred to?

The "annoying issue" they referred to is not an issue that the Prodigy kit has. They were referring to a problem they ran into while developing their kit. I don't know why they replied to me in a way that seems to imply that I have the same issue that they ran into and solved during development.

UselessPickles
09-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Looks like there's a few more details about this kit now: http://mahdavimotorsports.com/?p=7063

They claim 365 hp and 390 ft-lbs. No dyno chart, so no idea how low in the RPM range the big gains start happening. But just based on those numbers, I would expect the peak torque to come in at lower RPM than the Prodigy kit.

Price: $6,995, includes a vented hood.

I found this amusing:

Working with AtlantaJeeps we have developed the first and only turbo kit to give your Jeep the power boost it needs!!

How can they claim to have the "first and only" turbo kit? I suppose they could be implying that the Prodigy kit does not "give your Jeep the power boost it needs".

JeepLab
09-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Looks like there's a few more details about this kit now: http://mahdavimotorsports.com/?p=7063

They claim 365 hp and 390 ft-lbs. No dyno chart, so no idea how low in the RPM range the big gains start happening. But just based on those numbers, I would expect the peak torque to come in at lower RPM than the Prodigy kit.

Price: $6,995, includes a vented hood.

I found this amusing:

How can they claim to have the "first and only" turbo kit? I suppose they could be implying that the Prodigy kit does not "give your Jeep the power boost it needs".

The prodigy turbo gives the jeep more power than it should have. LOL

Giving out a hood with purchase is a new wrinkle. The shipping must be awful.