PDA

View Full Version : Ripp SC & CEL

Foxsat71
06-25-2015, 06:27 AM
Updated the tune on my 2012 JKU w/auto using the latest tune (RIPP36_2.0) BACK IN JANUARY. I've updated the Trinity T-1000, but I still get the Check engine light come on after a couple of days of driving. Used the tuner to read the codes: P113E and P113D. Both of which come up as unknown. If there is any forum that has the answers, it's going to be JeepLab. Anyone here run into this?

2k13jk
06-25-2015, 07:29 AM
I thru ripps tune out the window after a week of installing the kit and had a dyno guy tune my vehicle. Best thing ive ever done

JeepLab
06-25-2015, 09:31 AM
I think they are O2 sensors.

Did you contact ripp about it? Obviously you are running the most updated tune right?

UselessPickles
06-25-2015, 10:12 AM
A quick search finds that those codes are "O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Response (High Frequency)" and "O2 Sensor 2/1 Slow Response (High Frequency)". I believe that is the two upstream O2 sensors.

Can't really find any more about those codes, except this technical set of slides from some presentation, which doesn't seem to spell it out in plain English at any point: http://www.sae.org/events/training/symposia/obd/presentations/2009/d3halzatorski.pdf

Foxsat71
06-25-2015, 12:12 PM
My prior tune was flawless; no CEL. I've been running the SC since November of 2013. Jeep only has 44K miles. How can both sensors go bad so soon?
Called Ripp and was told to update the Trinity T-1000 tuner and that should solve the problem. Didn't resolve the issue. I thought I read somewhere that some of the T-1000 tuners were causing the canned tune from Ripp(ripp36_2.0) to run rich or something and cause the CEL to come on?

Foxsat71
06-25-2015, 12:20 PM
I've looked at the FTC list of codes and I don't see p113e or P113D in the list. I see p013a- O2 sensor slow response.

Foxsat71
06-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Autocorrect can be c a pain. That is supposed to read DTC.

UselessPickles
06-25-2015, 12:26 PM
I think your best bet is to continue talking to RIPP about the problem. Have you told them that the update did not solve the problem? Have they responded?

Foxsat71
06-25-2015, 12:38 PM
I don't recall if I did or not. I'm going to Unmarry the tuner from the jeep, update the tuner on more time, and start over again. Does anyone know how to reset the jeep computer to erase what it has learned? I've read on a different forum to disconnect the + terminal and touch it to the -(neg) terminal. Any thoughts.

Foxsat71
06-25-2015, 12:39 PM
To the battery

WhiteRavenRR
06-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Just disconnect the battery for a minimum of three minutes. That should reset the pcm.

UselessPickles
06-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Here's the reset procedure: http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-89.htm

If I were you I would do it in this order:

1) Unmarry the Trinity (install original backup tune).
2) perform the factory reset procedure.
3) double check that the Trinity is really updated. Some updates cannot be applied while the Trinity is "married" to a vehicle.
4) double check that you have the latest tune from RIPP.
5) install the RIPP tune.

I really doubt the factory reset will have any affect. It mostly resets things like long term adaptive memory (fuel trims, etc). I know for a fact that long term fuel trims are already reset every time you install a tune. But you might as well do it just to be sure you are starting fresh with everything.

UselessPickles
06-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Just disconnect the battery for a minimum of three minutes. That should reset the pcm.

Nope. Not enough to really reset everything. See the link in my previous post. Disconnecting the battery for a while will only clear out some trouble codes, but won't reset long term adaptive memory.

Foxsat71
06-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks to all who chimed in. I appreciate the help. I'll try this out tomorrow since I'm off and gave all day to work on it.

WhiteRavenRR
06-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Nope. Not enough to really reset everything. See the link in my previous post. Disconnecting the battery for a while will only clear out some trouble codes, but won't reset long term adaptive memory.

Thank you for correcting me. I thought there was more to it but I forgot since I haven't done it in a while.

Bullfighter
06-27-2015, 10:53 AM
I've had the P113D code many many times. About every 100 miles and clear it when the jeep starts to develop a miss at about 2000rpm. It's been way fustrating and I've contacted Ripp and sent them data files. All I get from that is more frustration. I'm trying to get with a local tuner but they are few and far between where I live. My jeep is not a daily driver and thank God for that or I would have sold it. I love the sound of the whine and the power but not sure if this was a good mod to do. Not sure what tune you have but I have the high alt pulley and added a catch can and when I try to revert back to the " original canned" Ripp tune the jeep runs horrible. It revs up for no apparent reason and has no power. Let me know if you solve the issue cuz I'm feeln the exact pain. FYI. I've disconnected the battery and unmarried and remarried my programmer back to the jeep. Made no difference.

Foxsat71
06-27-2015, 02:46 PM
"Bullfighter", I don't have the High ALT Pulley on mine. I'm not, nor have I ever experienced the phantom revs either. I'm currently running canned tune (ripp36_2.0) and this is the tune with which I started to get the CEL codes. I'm going to go outside now and Unmarry the T-1000 tuner then reset the PC according to "Useless Pickles" then update the tuner (again) and finally reload the tune to the jeep. If only Ripp could recommend a shop in SoCal that could perform and troubleshoot. I'll let you know how it all comes out.

FLIPmeOVER
06-28-2015, 08:48 AM
I've had the P113D code many many times. About every 100 miles and clear it when the jeep starts to develop a miss at about 2000rpm. It's been way fustrating and I've contacted Ripp and sent them data files. All I get from that is more frustration. I'm trying to get with a local tuner but they are few and far between where I live. My jeep is not a daily driver and thank God for that or I would have sold it. I love the sound of the whine and the power but not sure if this was a good mod to do. Not sure what tune you have but I have the high alt pulley and added a catch can and when I try to revert back to the " original canned" Ripp tune the jeep runs horrible. It revs up for no apparent reason and has no power. Let me know if you solve the issue cuz I'm feeln the exact pain. FYI. I've disconnected the battery and unmarried and remarried my programmer back to the jeep. Made no difference.

Stick or auto?

Foxsat71
06-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Did everything I said I was going to do. Drove about 50 miles last night; no issues at all. This morning I left to get 35" Tires installed and CEL turns on. Drove to the shop 7 miles away, had the tires installed, and just before I left the shop I read the CEL codes using the Trinity tuner to read the codes. P113E & P113D; I DIDN'T clear the codes; I just drove home so I could use my AEV procal to calibrate my speedometer. That was successful, but on my way to the store I noticed the CEL was no longer illuminated. I can't explain that, but I will continue to monitor and keep ya posted.

Bullfighter
06-29-2015, 11:38 PM
My jeep is a stick. I've heard a few issues with the autos

Bullfighter
07-08-2015, 12:02 AM
My jeep is a stick. I've heard a few issues with the autos

Did everything I said I was going to do. Drove about 50 miles last night; no issues at all. This morning I left to get 35" Tires installed and CEL turns on. Drove to the shop 7 miles away, had the tires installed, and just before I left the shop I read the CEL codes using the Trinity tuner to read the codes. P113E & P113D; I DIDN'T clear the codes; I just drove home so I could use my AEV procal to calibrate my speedometer. That was successful, but on my way to the store I noticed the CEL was no longer illuminated. I can't explain that, but I will continue to monitor and keep ya posted.
Did you get the problem fixed?

2k13jk
07-09-2015, 04:15 PM
I have been in contact with ripp and they said within a month or so ther will be releasing an upgrade kit for the jks. They said its most likely going to be a bigger intercooler, larger charge pipes, slightly higher boost pulley a new belt and updated tune

Bullfighter
07-09-2015, 11:49 PM
I have been in contact with ripp and they said within a month or so ther will be releasing an upgrade kit for the jks. They said its most likely going to be a bigger intercooler, larger charge pipes, slightly higher boost pulley a new belt and updated tune Thank you for the comeback and Foxsat I'm sorry I didn't mean to hijack your post. I gotta laugh on the fact Ripp said " in a month". They've told me that on the phone and on Twitter that same thing about all their soon to be released products. Eight months later.....nothing. Anyway I gotta steam a bit on the only fix is to buy more and replace what I've got. Not a good solution they have for a several thousand dollar mod. Btw I've got the smaller pulley and the different program ( Ripp36 2.2B) so now a bigger cooler? They've had my data logs and best they come up with is something isn't installed right. This is not the case. Over a year later and sorry that's not it. Jeep screams but after about 50-100 miles into clearing a code and reprogramming it misses and re-throws a P113D code. Still has power but misses. I'm with Pickles, should've never messed with it in the fist place. Sorry for airing my dirty laundry but jumped at the fact somebody finally has the same problem as me. Btw, I'm convinced the jeep is forgetting or somehow losing the new programming. It runs very good and smooth until it starts to learn its fuel curves and then it runs bad again.

Foxsat71
07-10-2015, 01:23 AM
Negative. The CEL came back on after a few miles. I must have cleared it by accident. Also, no hijacked thread. Any info on people's experience with RIPP SC is welcomed. I did however, find an interesting note in the Diablo Manual. I'm at work now but will post later today.

Bullfighter
07-10-2015, 06:59 AM
Negative. The CEL came back on after a few miles. I must have cleared it by accident. Also, no hijacked thread. Any info on people's experience with RIPP SC is welcomed. I did however, find an interesting note in the Diablo Manual. I'm at work now but will post later today.
You'd be the man if u crack the problem!

2k13jk
07-10-2015, 05:40 PM
If your jeep is forgetting the fuel logs something with your tune is off

Yoinkers
07-12-2015, 08:22 PM
I dont have an SC I've been on the fence about them for SOOO long. Guys in my local club have them. Ive driven a few. They are good. Mostly. The autos less than the sticks.

The builds those guys have are heavy stupid builds. Pile as much crap on as they can. So that review is not with optimized jeeps.

Bullfighter
07-13-2015, 02:25 PM
I dont have an SC I've been on the fence about them for SOOO long. Guys in my local club have them. Ive driven a few. They are good. Mostly. The autos less than the sticks.

The builds those guys have are heavy stupid builds. Pile as much crap on as they can. So that review is not with optimized jeeps.. Not sure of your point other than the SC jeeps are mostly good. Nobody around here has one on theirs and when people hear it they either are amazed or think it's a serious vacuum leak. Haha. If your on the fence and have drove them and still can't decide than you probably answered yourself on to get one. Yeah, skip it. Why cause a headache if you don't need to. Again I'm glad I didn't get an auto. And this jeep doesn't have a lot of crap piled on it

Bullfighter
08-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Any new developments?
Any new developments? I went back to the original tune that came with the kit and adjusted some perameters and leaned up a little and seemed to help with the missing problem and haven't thrown a code only now a lil less power

2k13jk
08-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Try to get your jeep to a reputable dyno tuner and let them get your parameters in check and tweeck it for what the kit was built to do

sajk
08-07-2015, 06:46 AM
Dont know if this applies to you but there is a TSB I found for other pentastar applications with this fault. If this is the case I think you need to:

Go to the dealer
Return PCM to stock
Have it flashed
Install RIPP tune and send them the now new backup file to have their additions made to it.

SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination P0441, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306,
P0420, P0430, P113D, P113E, P0133, P0153
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2012 (JC) Journey
**2012 (JS) 200/Avenger**
NOTE: This bulletin applies to **JC** vehicle equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales
code ERB) built before November 15, 2011 (MDH 1115XX) or **JS vehicle
equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales code ERB) built before December 16, 2011
(MDH 1116XX).**
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a MIL illumination. Upon further investigation the
Technician may find that any of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes have been set.
a. P0441 - Evap Purge System Performance
b. P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency (Bank 1)
c. P0430 - Catalyst Efficiency (Bank2)
d. P0133 - O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Response
e. P0153 - O2 Sensor 2/1 Slow Response
f. P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire
g. P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire
h. P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire
i. P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire
j. P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire
k. P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire
l. P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire
m. P113D - O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Response (High Frequency)
n. P113E - O2 Sensor 2/1 Slow Response (High Frequency)
Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.

Bullfighter
08-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Dont know if this applies to you but there is a TSB I found for other pentastar applications with this fault. If this is the case I think you need to:

Go to the dealer
Return PCM to stock
Have it flashed
Install RIPP tune and send them the now new backup file to have their additions made to it.

SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination P0441, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306,
P0420, P0430, P113D, P113E, P0133, P0153
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2012 (JC) Journey
**2012 (JS) 200/Avenger**
NOTE: This bulletin applies to **JC** vehicle equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales
code ERB) built before November 15, 2011 (MDH 1115XX) or **JS vehicle
equipped with a 3.6L engine (sales code ERB) built before December 16, 2011
(MDH 1116XX).**
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a MIL illumination. Upon further investigation the
Technician may find that any of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes have been set.
a. P0441 - Evap Purge System Performance
b. P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency (Bank 1)
c. P0430 - Catalyst Efficiency (Bank2)
d. P0133 - O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Response
e. P0153 - O2 Sensor 2/1 Slow Response
f. P0300 - Multiple Cylinder Misfire
g. P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire
h. P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire
i. P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire
j. P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire
k. P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire
l. P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire
m. P113D - O2 Sensor 1/1 Slow Response (High Frequency)
n. P113E - O2 Sensor 2/1 Slow Response (High Frequency)
Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.
Thank you for the reply, it's much appriciated. I'll try it and see what happens.

Bullfighter
04-06-2016, 11:45 PM
Foxsat71,Did you ever get your cel issue resolved? Unfortunately my sc is at vortech getting new bearings and seals after about 5500 miles of use. 2 years strong and still not happy. Btw it's been gone for a month getting the bearings and seals. I shoulda (famous last words) rebuilt myself. Just wondering what was up.

Foxsat71
04-08-2016, 04:20 AM
Foxsat71,Did you ever get your cel issue resolved? Unfortunately my sc is at vortech getting new bearings and seals after about 5500 miles of use. 2 years strong and still not happy. Btw it's been gone for a month getting the bearings and seals. I shoulda (famous last words) rebuilt myself. Just wondering what was up.

Not yet. I completely forgot I had the AFE loop delete Y-pipe on my jeep. So when I first updated my tune I didn't mention it to Ripp. I spoke to them about 2 weeks ago and they confirmed that it would cause CEL's. They said to Unmarry the unit and start over. I also read that the radio, A/C, etc. should be turned off while loading the tune. Furthermore, when prompted to cycle the ignition on and/or off, to do it slowly. I will Unmarry the tune this weekend and start over. I will send Ripp the new info Monday. I will post the results soon after.

Bullfighter
04-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Not yet. I completely forgot I had the AFE loop delete Y-pipe on my jeep. So when I first updated my tune I didn't mention it to Ripp. I spoke to them about 2 weeks ago and they confirmed that it would cause CEL's. They said to Unmarry the unit and start over. I also read that the radio, A/C, etc. should be turned off while loading the tune. Furthermore, when prompted to cycle the ignition on and/or off, to do it slowly. I will Unmarry the tune this weekend and start over. I will send Ripp the new info Monday. I will post the results soon after. I can't believe we're still getting over these humps, right. I just got off the phone with Ripp (cause they have my unit and it needed rebuilt by Vortech after 5,700 miles) and while I was on the phone I asked them about your loop delete throwing codes and they confirmed that it could. "Won't always but sometimes". Anyway good to hear your moving in the right direction. I was just wondering since I'm in a similar predicament BUT soon will be getting a custom dyno- tune and I replaced all O2 sensors and installing a wideband to cover all the bases. When I get the wideband bung installed I'll post the pics of where the bung was installed to help you or anybody else who wants to put a WB on a 3.6. Ripp says good to go and put after the Y-pipe. I'm more of a believer of the sensor before the cats just like I've been told on here and what I've been told by everybody who uses them but once you see the cats, pre-cats my be impossible. Again the WB info may help you if you go that route.

Matsango
04-20-2016, 08:17 PM
I actually bought the afe y pipe to put the wide band on that instead of drilling the factory pipes. So you've been having problems since you installed it?

Bullfighter
04-21-2016, 12:04 AM
I actually bought the afe y pipe to put the wide band on that instead of drilling the factory pipes. So you've been having problems since you installed it? I don't have the loop delete but I do have the wideband. I wouldn't worry about drilling your stock pipe. Drill, weld...good to go. Easier than cutting into the stocker and clamping up and you save a couple bucks even if you have a exhaust shop do it. They give you a plug for the bung if you pull out the wideband sensor. Let us know how the wideband turns out. Interested to see how it goes. I haven't had time yet to put mine on. Got the gauge installed and looking good but not wired up yet. And to may be answer your question : yes Ripp says you'll need a different tune when you delete the pipe. Foxsat is possibly dealing with that problem right now. It throws a code. After you install the pipe, call Ripp and get a different tune or possibly get tuned from a local tuner after you install the wideband.

Foxsat71
04-21-2016, 03:38 AM
I'm currently waiting for Ripp to send me my tune. I already updated the Trinity T1000 tuner and sent the necessary info to Ripp. I made it clear that I retained the exhaust loop and only replaced the factory Y-pipe.

Foxsat71
04-21-2016, 03:43 AM
My bad. I mentioned I had deleted the factory exhaust loop, but I did not.

Foxsat71
04-21-2016, 03:51 AM
I had already replaced the factory Y-pipe with the AFe Y-pipe before I had the SC installed. I had no CEL or surging. It wasn't until I installed the ripp36_2.2drg that I got the CEL. I did not mention the Y-pipe to Ripp when I requested the ripp36_2.2drg tune. I had forgotten about it. This time around however, I did mention it to them. Just waiting on the tune now.

Foxsat71
04-26-2016, 05:25 AM
Got the new RIPPMODS tune (ripp36_2.5) loaded. So far no CEL'S. I still need to monitor it for a week.

Bullfighter
05-02-2016, 11:45 PM
Got the new RIPPMODS tune (ripp36_2.5) loaded. So far no CEL'S. I still need to monitor it for a week.How did the new tune work out for you?

Foxsat71
05-08-2016, 07:15 AM
So far it's been fine. No "check engine light". It seems more responsive. However, transmission does not shift from 2nd to 3rd at a reasonable RPM. Even if I'm accelerating mildly, transmission will shift at around 3200 - 3500 RPM. I'll be able to drive it more now that I have front DS and Yeti steering linkage installed and front end aligned. Just need to find a 1 5/8" tie rod bracket to install steering stabilizer.

Foxsat71
05-31-2016, 05:42 AM
Had the PCM & TCM software updated at the dealership. Transmission now shifts much, much better and the Ripp tune has been great; no issues at all.

Bullfighter
05-31-2016, 11:49 PM
Had the PCM & TCM software updated at the dealership. Transmission now shifts much, much better and the Ripp tune has been great; no issues at all.
Did you uninstall the RIPP tune before they updated your jeep and then re-install the RIPP tune afterwords? This may be a dumb question however I've heard to do so you must go back to the stock tune before you can update the PCM. I've thought about doing so to smooth out my edges but leary of a tech messing with the tune from RIPP and sending the jeep haywire cuz going back to stock would have to be done at the dealership cuz mine will not run on the stock tune anymore. And again, what year is your Jeep? Thanks for the update!!

Foxsat71
06-01-2016, 04:25 AM
Bullfighter, yes I did. I drove to the dealership and returned the jeep to stock tune, dealership did there updates, I then reloaded the RIPPMODS tune. I ended up towing my jeep home and updating the tuner and reloading it at home.

Foxsat71
06-01-2016, 04:26 AM
Bullfighter, my jeep is a 2012 JKU Auto trans.

Bullfighter
06-01-2016, 11:42 PM
Bullfighter, my jeep is a 2012 JKU Auto trans. Awesome, again good to hear no more codes and your running smooth. Mines a '12 also but a stick not a auto. Big (not really) "baddest jeep in the valley" contest this weekend. I can't wait to show off the ride! I might not be the baddest but I can whine in and fake it!!

Foxsat71
06-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Awesome, again good to hear no more codes and your running smooth. Mines a '12 also but a stick not a auto. Big (not really) "baddest jeep in the valley" contest this weekend. I can't wait to show off the ride! I might not be the baddest but I can whine in and fake it!!

You do the opposite of most car contests, leave the dirt and mud on the jeep. Good luck.