PDA

View Full Version : Takin the PLUNGE!!

Yoinkers
08-17-2015, 09:25 PM
I've been saving forever, and my JKUR 12 is about to get a shot in the arm.

So JL guys, tell me wich power mod is the best?

I know thats a question that requires some background.

I like to wheel, but dont get out there as much as I'd like. My jeep is manual trans, I know thats a favorite around here. its my daily driver, but im not one of those guy counting the mileage.

So give it to me. All power mods represented here, im talkin go you to baumann, Love your hemi? let me know!

gbaumann
08-18-2015, 01:37 PM
I do love the Hemi! It runs flawlessly. I'm making changes, of course, because that's what we do around here and I'll start a thread on what's coming up. So, here's what I'll say about power mods. Power mods appear to lose power over time. After living with the 6.4L every day I find myself saying, "eh. . . I could use another 200hp." Of course, I haven't driven a stock JKU since I made the change and I suspect that a dose of "reality" would re-charge my power mod instantly.

As for a recommendation, if I had a manual trans I'd go for the RIPP and set it up just like BB. Strip off every piece of truck that isn't purposeful and use as much carbon fiber and aluminum as possible to get the weight down.

JeepLab
08-18-2015, 03:39 PM
I do love the Hemi! It runs flawlessly. I'm making changes, of course, because that's what we do around here and I'll start a thread on what's coming up. So, here's what I'll say about power mods. Power mods appear to lose power over time. After living with the 6.4L every day I find myself saying, "eh. . . I could use another 200hp." Of course, I haven't driven a stock JKU since I made the change and I suspect that a dose of "reality" would re-charge my power mod instantly.

As for a recommendation, if I had a manual trans I'd go for the RIPP and set it up just like BB. Strip off every piece of truck that isn't purposeful and use as much carbon fiber and aluminum as possible to get the weight down.

^^x2 on the weight reduction. As far as power mod, You would not be disappointed with RIPP and a manual trans. The same could be said for the magnuson once the final tune came out. It was also excellent with the manual trans. I havent driven Jesse's Girl since the turbo was put in, but that day, it was a rocket also.

I think it comes down to your drive style. like a little lower end? but still want the power modulated by the gas pedal? go magnuson, if you like more power further up the rpm band, that just keeps going? Ripp. Strong power line that is less under control, then the prodigy turbo.

If you are intstalling yourself, how easy the installs are might be of note. RIPP and MAG are pretty easy, Prodigy, with the pipes getting routed around is more time consuming.

HahaJK
08-22-2015, 05:45 PM
I think it comes down to your drive style. like a little lower end? but still want the power modulated by the gas pedal? go magnuson, if you like more power further up the rpm band, that just keeps going? Ripp. Strong power line that is less under control, then the prodigy turbo.

Based on that, how would you expand on it - if you were to write a more specific description of the driver for say..

RIPP
Magnuson
Edelbrock
Prodigy.

I'm looking at these myself. I like the idea of RIPP with a high altitude pulley - the numbers are good, it's not exhaust dependent, and the graph starts off great. But I'm always so drawn back to prodigy because their pushing a significant amount of power more than the superchargers, but the lag time worries me and building boost.

Then again, my rig is primarily a trail rig. River crossings, steep climbs, and mud.

JeepLab
08-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Based on that, how would you expand on it - if you were to write a more specific description of the driver for say..

RIPP
Magnuson
Edelbrock
Prodigy.

I'm looking at these myself. I like the idea of RIPP with a high altitude pulley - the numbers are good, it's not exhaust dependent, and the graph starts off great. But I'm always so drawn back to prodigy because their pushing a significant amount of power more than the superchargers, but the lag time worries me and building boost.

Then again, my rig is primarily a trail rig. River crossings, steep climbs, and mud.

If your truck is pimarily a triail rig ^^, Id say go with the one of the SC's. The turbo shines on the highway. and it does SHINE. But in the rocks, i'd personally prefer a supercharger to turbo.

That being said, Of the Superchargers, You have to decide based on preference.

RIPP will crank out more power in acute wheeling situations. Meaning if you are against a rock and want climb it, Id take the spool up of the RIPP to 4500RPM you can get more high end power in the lowest gear and turn your jeep into a torque monster.

Mag and edelbrock will be in the same ballpark, but will be more susceptible to heat at low speeds, and baking in the desert sun.

The downside to RIPP is water. I personally would avoid water that is as high as the intake. Even with a snorkel. People think snorkels make jeeps into submarines, they don't. They are for dust. Not water. And if the seal of the snorkel isn't perfect, you have no snorkel at all.

If you looooooove snorkels, then mag would be my next choice as you can run any snorkel with it.

FLIPmeOVER
08-27-2015, 11:21 AM
First jeep i wrecked was a tj with a snorkle. Water never go over the hood, but it wasnt sealed perfect, and i learned not to show off.

terrible day. No snorkels.

kevlar21
08-27-2015, 12:21 PM
+1 to this thread. i, too am on the fence about buying a supercharger for my 2013 6spd 2dr rubi.

in addition to the ones mentioned, i would also be interested in peoples' input regarding the sprintex offering. here is a writeup on it i saw recently:
http://sophistijeep.blogspot.com/2015/08/supercharging-jeep-pentastar-with-sprintex.html

there doesnt seem to be too much information out there regarding these untis on manual transmissions.

i would be grateful if anyone with a unit installed could answer any of the following:

if you have a manual, how is the tune? any hiccups? does the stock transmission/clutch seem to handle the power ok?

for water intercooled units, has this been a problem? leakage, etc?

im leaning toward the ripp unit, any issues with it?

how has customer service been with your manufacturer if youve had to contact them?

thanks in advance!

*edit, also, how is fuel economy affected on your rig?

Yoinkers
08-27-2015, 09:20 PM
I was interested in sprintex also, but the lack of real world chatter, to me, means that its not sorted out completely.

I do not want to be a guinea pig for 6k. I do not want to send logs and help a company figure things out while my rig is less than correct.

No thanks.

Yoinkers
08-27-2015, 09:22 PM
I was interested in sprintex also, but the lack of real world chatter, to me, means that its not sorted out completely.

I do not want to be a guinea pig for 6k. I do not want to send logs and help a company figure things out while my rig is less than correct.

No thanks.

WhiteRavenRR
08-28-2015, 03:38 PM
I have a snorkel but I don't show off. I have nothing to prove.

JeepLab
08-31-2015, 10:00 PM
i would be grateful if anyone with a unit installed could answer any of the following:

if you have a manual, how is the tune? any hiccups? does the stock transmission/clutch seem to handle the power ok?

for water intercooled units, has this been a problem? leakage, etc?

im leaning toward the ripp unit, any issues with it?

how has customer service been with your manufacturer if youve had to contact them?

thanks in advance!

*edit, also, how is fuel economy affected on your rig?

Ive played with all the mods you've seen on the site, but only owned a RIPP supercharger with Manual Trans.

My tune was perfect. You'll find that tune problems are more of an automatic's problem, as I know first hand that RIPP and Mag both had top notch tunes with BB and Sweet Pea.

No issues with the Ripp unit or tune.

Customer service - ive had little detail issues with parts of the kit like having to replace the coolant bottle cap, and I reached them after hours, and they had the part to me, a day or two later.

Fuel economy is not an improvement with any power mod. You will find yourself driving more aggressively, and there goes your economic win fall.

boosted1
09-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Ive played with all the mods you've seen on the site, but only owned a RIPP supercharger with Manual Trans.

My tune was perfect. You'll find that tune problems are more of an automatic's problem, as I know first hand that RIPP and Mag both had top notch tunes with BB and Sweet Pea.

No issues with the Ripp unit or tune.

Customer service - ive had little detail issues with parts of the kit like having to replace the coolant bottle cap, and I reached them after hours, and they had the part to me, a day or two later.

Fuel economy is not an improvement with any power mod. You will find yourself driving more aggressively, and there goes your economic win fall.

I think it is only fair to tell them that Ripp Superchargers gave you the supercharger. Prodigy Performance delivers more HP and TQ per dollar than ANY product on the market including the HEMI's. We also deliver best in class fuel economy at the same time.

boosted1
09-01-2015, 06:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFAIcz2y6K8

This is our stage 2 kit at ONLY 5.5lbs

ENJOY!

JeepLab
09-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Thats a sweet charger. His girl dosent love him anymore now.

UselessPickles
09-01-2015, 07:49 PM

With the turbo kit, I actually have an overall slight increase in fuel economy. That includes a daily full throttle acceleration onto the freeway and other occasional moments of enjoying the boost.

I just think it's nice that I haven't killed my fuel economy, like what happens with most Jeep mods. When driving gently, I actually get a decent improvement, based on my unscientific results according to memory. I recently drove about 1800 miles total for a 1-week camping trip. About 700 miles of that was towing a small trailer fully loaded up with camping gear for a week, and a family of 4 in the jeep. I averaged just over 25 mpg for the whole trip.

I think with any of the forced induction mods, fuel economy won't get significantly worse than stock unless you drive aggressively most of the time. But also factor in the increased octane requirement. You will likely end up paying more $ per mile overall, even with a small increase to fuel economy, but not by a big enough amount to be worried about. I did the math at one point based on gas prices at the time, and I was on average just barely breaking even.

This is our stage 2 kit at ONLY 5.5lbs
ENJOY!

So that's with the stage 1 wastegate spring and the boost controller turned down/off all the way? And that Challenger must have the 5.7 Hemi.

What was the 1/4 mile result with only 5.5 psi?

And is there a video of you against a 6.4 Hemi Challenger? I heard you beat one of those at the strip with 9 psi boost.

boosted1
09-01-2015, 08:17 PM
So that's with the stage 1 wastegate spring and the boost controller turned down/off all the way? And that Challenger must have the 5.7 Hemi.

Yes, i am using the AEM TruBoost controller and had it set all the way down. it took me a minute to figure out why the rush was not as great as usual. However it made the video even more impressive.

What was the 1/4 mile result with only 5.5 psi?

13.3 I believe

And is there a video of you against a 6.4 Hemi Challenger? I heard you beat one of those at the strip with 9 psi boost.

The other video i have is coming out later this week or beginning of next. Its a good one.

HahaJK
09-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Boosted1, are you associated with Prodigy?

This new turbo is making me sway towards the turbo.. the numbers were better than superchargers before, now they're out of control.

Can someone drive to western Canada and take me for a trail ride??? Ahhh.. that's what I need most. To take a drive in each one.

UselessPickles
09-01-2015, 10:48 PM

Boosted1 *IS* Prodigy :)

boosted1
09-02-2015, 10:49 AM

This new turbo is making me sway towards the turbo.. the numbers were better than superchargers before, now they're out of control.

Can someone drive to western Canada and take me for a trail ride??? Ahhh.. that's what I need most. To take a drive in each one.

My name is Wes I am the President of Prodigy Performance LLC.

Our turbo systems are now better than ever. One test drive is all it will take for you to be blown away at the power our system delivers. It is usable off idle performance that has huge power on tap at ALL times. The turbo lag comments are crap, the turbo is responsive and ready to do serious work. Turbochargers are not new but they are the way of the future. Please let me know what questions you have even if it is related to the supercharger companies. We can get them to chime in and give feedback.

UselessPickles
09-02-2015, 12:42 PM
It is usable off idle performance that has huge power on tap at ALL times. The turbo lag comments are crap, the turbo is responsive and ready to do serious work

I think reality is somewhere in the middle. I often see exaggerated statements about how laggy turbos are and how they only make power at high rpms. I disagree with those comments, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that "huge power on tap at ALL times"... but keep in mind that I have a manual transmission and don't yet have a boost controller installed.

You only have to look at a dyno chart to see that the biggest gains from the turbo happen in the upper half of the rpm range, so of course I won't have "huge" power down at 2000 rpms when I put the pedal down to the floor with my manual transmission. There's no denying that. Even so, part throttle at lower rpms is very nice with more recent updates to the tune and the upgrade to the Precision turbo. Even under 2500 rpm, I regularly see 1-2 psi boost while catching up/keeping up with traffic using part throttle acceleration, and it feels great. But there's a certain point where you push the throttle just a bit more, and the turbo just can't keep up at the lower engine speeds, and boost stops increasing. The end result is that you reach max acceleration for low rpms before you get to full throttle, and the rest of the pedal travel does nothing but change the sound of the engine slightly. At part throttle, it feels powerful, but when you push the pedal for more, it isn't there. Admittedly, once you get to this point, you probably should have already downshifted anyway. If you try to drive a manual transmission turbo Jeep as if it had a big V8 engine, you will probably be disappointed. But if you adjust your driving style to take advantage of the strengths of the turbo (downshift to get rpms up whenever you want any serious acceleration), you rarely encounter its weaknesses .

But if you have an automatic transmission, huge power really would be just a deliberate press of the throttle away at any time. In the situation I described above, you would still get the perceived low rpm power because part throttle acceleration is great at low rpms, but the transmission will downshift when you ask for more instead of running into that point at low rpms where the turbo just can't flow any more air no matter how much more you push the pedal. Not only will the transmission automatically downshift as necessary, putting you into the upper rpm range where you get huge power, but you also have the benefit of the torque converter. If you're starting from a low speed where the transmission is already down in 1st gear at lower rpms, press the pedal, the torque converter will unlock, rpms will rise, the torque converter will multiply torque some, and you'll have higher exhaust flow spooling the turbo more quickly compared to the same situation with a manual transmission.

Then there's the recent addition of the boost controller to Prodigy's top-of-the-line setup. A wastegate by itself will actually start opening up well before the target boost is reached, slowing down how quickly the turbo finishes spooling up. A boost controller can keep the wastegate completely closed longer, allowing the turbo to spool up more quickly when you put your foot down.

Without a boost controller, my data logs show that (disclaimer: following numbers are approximated from memory) if I'm cruising around 4000 rpm (where the turbo is capable of reaching target boost), then quickly press the pedal to the floor, boost quickly jumps up to about 3/4 of target boost within about 1/2 second, but then takes another 1/4 second to reach full full boost. It's not as extreme as some people will imply, with comments about having to "wait for boost to kick in", etc, but it does make for a "soft" throttle response. It's just not an abrupt/violent sudden kick like a very powerful NA or supercharged engine would be. Adding a boost controller that holds the wastegate closed longer should make this type of situation feel more responsive.

I'd be very interested driving an automatic turbo Jeep to see how it compares in overall "feel", perceived power/responsiveness, etc. I bet the automatic overall feels more powerful/responsive. But a manual transmission is overall more fun to drive :)

My boost controller is arriving today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get it all installed and setup within the next week or two. With both an increase in peak boost, and an improvement in spooling, it's possible that lower RPM performance could be significantly improved to the point that I'll be closer to agreeing with Wes that big power is available at all times, even with the manual transmission.

Yoinkers
09-10-2015, 02:53 PM
pickles, you have done a lot of work on this turbo, still getting new parts for it to tune it in.... If you could go back in time, would you still do a turbo?

UselessPickles
09-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Yes :)

Overall, I'm very happy with the turbo. And I'll be even happier with it after I get my boost controller and oil catch can installed (BTW: changed my mind yet again, and I'm now going to be using Prodigy's oil catch can kit, which is included with the turbo kits now - part of the reason for the price increase).

The remaining issues I have with the tune seem to be mostly limited to the engine warmup period. With the improved lower RPM performance from the Precision turbo, I can easily avoid those issues while the engine is still warming up. I still suspect an exhaust leak may be contributing to this. It's also possible that adding the boost controller will improve this a bit more. Switching to the Precision turbo, which spools more quickly at lower rpms, made some improvements to this issue. A boost controller will help the turbo spool up even quicker.

Most of the trouble I have gone through was either part of being an early adopter, or caused by my own lack of experience with installing major modifications like this. Some experience/skill/intuition in the area of getting complex aftermarket exhaust systems properly aligned and installed with no leaks would be a huge advantage. Some of the trouble I have gone through has contributed to improvements from Prodigy that everyone will benefit from. So don't let my experience scare you. Almost everything I have had trouble with can be easily avoided when purchasing a current revision of the kit (includes all improvements that have been made since I first bought mine), paying the upcharge for the Precision turbo up front, and having an experienced exhaust and performance mod installer perform the install.

Boost controller is by no means necessary. Just an easy upgrade to get even more.

JeepLab
09-18-2015, 09:03 AM
I think it is only fair to tell them that Ripp Superchargers gave you the supercharger. Prodigy Performance delivers more HP and TQ per dollar than ANY product on the market including the HEMI's. We also deliver best in class fuel economy at the same time.

I missed what wes from Prodigy stated above.^^ Here is my response.

RIPP did give us the supercharger, but that has no effect on my feelings about it. Magnuson also GAVE us a supercharger, and Prodigy GAVE us a TURBO. all on even ground.

Im not sure the point that wes is trying to make.

Pznivy
09-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Should have put them all on one truck. KABOOM!

Matsango
09-20-2015, 08:06 AM
1657I also recently installed a ripp supercharger with the high altitude pulley on my 3.6 manual. Had a small issue with the tune not being installed properly but one phone call to ripp cleared that up as they walked me through the tune install. The power gain is impressive and comes on very smooth.

FLIPmeOVER
09-20-2015, 01:31 PM
1657I also recently installed a ripp supercharger with the high altitude pulley on my 3.6 manual. Had a small issue with the tune not being installed properly but one phone call to ripp cleared that up as they walked me through the tune install. The power gain is impressive and comes on very smooth.

how high is your actual altitude?

what made you pick RIPP?

Matsango
09-21-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm in NYC so right around seal level maybe 60-70 feet. I got the black ops package and it comes with it. Been looking into them for a while. Just decided it was the better option for me from reading a lot of tuning issues with the magnusun. Have also seen an improvement in fuel economy.

kevlar21
09-23-2015, 08:15 PM
so ive been wanting to buy a supercharger for about a year or so now and i finally pulled the trigger on a sprintex unit. i was kind of on the fence about which one to buy and ive seen that many people on here are too. i was really uncertain right up until i saw a used sprintex kit in dallas for 3000$ and i just couldnt let it get away. so its still in the box awaiting install which should be in about a week. (i have to get some last warranty work done and ive heard that a supercharger can void your warranty) i havent seen too much information about how well the tunes work with a manual trans except that theyre generally much less trouble than on automatics. mine is a manual so ill let yall know how it goes. i also want to thank all the other people on these forums that have shared all of thier experience with thier supercharger and turbo installations. i have a 6 speed '13 rubi. its a 2door with a soft top so im really hoping for a 5 second 0-60! anyways heres a teaser:

Rexx19
09-23-2015, 08:29 PM
WHOA, i was about to tell you, that you were crazy to go with sprintex, considering how little we know about it. But at a 3k pricetag new in box, you almost have no choice. I too am on the fence. Feels like ive been on the fence forever. Worried that the power mod will ruin my rig. Ive talked to others who are not happy with theirs.

dont get lost on me! i want to know what happens.

kevlar21
09-23-2015, 11:10 PM
dont get lost on me! i want to know what happens.
will do. ill post some pics as well as my thoughts once its installed.

kevlar21
09-23-2015, 11:19 PM
But at a 3k pricetag new in box, you almost have no choice.

actually it was a used take off. the guy said on craigslist that he payed extra for a longer warranty for his jeep and that he learned after he installed that it voided it, and that sprintex' warranty did not cover returns. i was a bit skeptical, but after meeting him in person i didnt feel like anything was out of place. he explained the entire install and we went thru every piece and made sure the tuner was reset to stock, over about an hour and a half. i suppose it could still be considered a 'gamble' right up until its installed and working properly but im optimistic.

kevlar21
10-04-2015, 05:24 AM
so its installed! its been on for about 2 days and so far its running pretty good except for a few things. there seems to be a slight 'bogging' when i floor it at low rpms, but i can live with it, as its rarely noticeable. of course id like to get it sorted out with a tune if possible. but the other is gas mileage. so the mpg meter on the dash has been reporting very low mpg, like 8-9. now i knew it wouldn't turn into a Prius with the supercharger on it but damn! i was really expecting a little better based on what ive read on forums. i haven't actually verified that by calculating based on tripometer/pump. however i do suspect something fishy. when i sit at like a stoplight or just idle, i can watch the mpg go down quickly on the dash. like if i reset it and drive maybe a mile to a stoplight, and then watch the meter, it goes 15.2....14.1.....13.6..... like updating every second down to maybe 8-9. it never did that before. and i cant imagine that its burning a bunch of fuel at idle because the supercharger shouldn't even be making boost. oh well, ill calculate when i fill up next.

aside from that, however, id say it works pretty well so far. no weird idling, no surging, no shifting issues (because its a 6speed). it just feels like a powerful stock jeep. its a weird feeling not having to floor it to get to highway speed. i still do feel that it could use a custom tune because of the 'bogging' feeling. other than that, i can 95% recommend it anyone with a manual trans. also, the supercharger whine is much more pleasant in person than when hearing it in videos, but thats just my opinion. it has more of an 'organic' sound to it with a bit more depth than videos can pick up. overall, for what i paid (3000), i dont think i could have spent that money better on my jeep! feel free to AMA. also, i can make a video if people are interested.

doc5339
10-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Just checking in to see how the Sprintex is treating ya?

Have you noticed anymore surging?

Have you hand-calculated recent MPG; wondering if it has improved at all?

Are you still happy with your purchase (imagine so) and installation?

Turbo jk
10-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Hello all,
New member and just waiting for my stage 2 turbo kit to get shipped from prodigy !

JeepLab
10-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Hello all,
New member and just waiting for my stage 2 turbo kit to get shipped from prodigy !

CONGRATS! your rig will never be the same.

kevlar21
10-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Just checking in to see how the Sprintex is treating ya?

Have you noticed anymore surging?

Have you hand-calculated recent MPG; wondering if it has improved at all?

Are you still happy with your purchase (imagine so) and installation?

so far the people at sprintex are working with me to get it right and they have been very good about responding to emails, but unfortunately the problem persists, and also it threw a code of P0113, which is intake temp sensor 1 high, whatever that means. the mpg is still suffering. overall, i really enjoy the power gains, but if the issue cant be totally resolved, then no i wouldnt say that im happy even for 3000$. as luck would have it, i will be visiting Lawton, OK soon, which is near their HQ in oklahoma city. so hopefully if things cant get resolved via email, then they can see the issue first hand and mess with it.

boosted1
10-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Check to see if the intake air temperature sensor is plugged in. We have seen this issue (code p0113) several times in the past. The installer just forgot to plug it in.

doc5339
10-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Hate to hear that you are not happy with the Sprintex. Unfortunately, you are the third out of three I have contacted who has had issues.

I understand that there are always some issues, but way too many to spend $5,495.00; at least you spent quite a bit less.

Good luck getting it dialed-in.

I am focusing on RIPP and ProCharger as RIPP seems to have mostly positive feedback and ProCharger is a similar design that just does not have the market penetration.

Pznivy
10-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Check to see if the intake air temperature sensor is plugged in. We have seen this issue (code p0113) several times in the past. The installer just forgot to plug it in.

Check out Wes from prodigy^^ chiming in to help someone sort out a competitor's power mod. very classy. I hadnt even considered a turbo because of the piping issues some have mentioned, ( i have no lift ) but seeing their top guy lend a hand has kinda changed my mind.

doc5339
10-15-2015, 02:51 AM
Check out Wes from prodigy^^ chiming in to help someone sort out a competitor's power mod. very classy. I hadnt even considered a turbo because of the piping issues some have mentioned, ( i have no lift ) but seeing their top guy lend a hand has kinda changed my mind.

Definitely a solid move by Wes.

kevlar21
10-21-2015, 02:00 AM

just a quick update, first, yes the issues was that it wasnt fully plugged in, thanks boosted1. so far i am still back and forth with sprintex to get the tune dialed just right. it is still a bit lower on mpg than i was hoping for at around 12.9 as of last calculated fill up (dash reading was 11.0 strangely). it seems to be doing a bit better since the most recent tune, but i still experience what i wouldnt exactly call "surging" as i understand it, but the power is not coming on smoothly, that is, not linearly responsive proportional to gas pedal position, as well as lag time between pedal and power. however, when you punch it and you feel it go to max power, its really quite fun. im still MOSTLY happy but id sure like it to be perfect.

FLIPmeOVER
11-09-2015, 05:54 PM
can we get a sprintex sound byte?