PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bomb Upgrades!

gbaumann
08-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Hi All. Hope everyone's summer is going well. I trust JL has been quite these past few weeks because we're all playing outside.

Yes, CB is getting a few new things. First, she's getting new exhaust from the engine manifolds back. The Flowmaster exhaust supplied by AEV with the hemi conversion is good but it does have some quality issues particularly with the catalytic converters. My bank-1 (driver's side) cat failed. AEV warrants the exhaust system so it can be replaced. But I always wondered if anyone made a quieter, perhaps "better" system for the hemi conversions. Well, turns out, AEV has been quietly working with Magnaflow (and I heard Roush Racing) to design an all stainless system. I haven't seen it out in public yet but I'm told the new system will be somewhere in the $2,200 range as an upgrade when ordering a hemi conversion kit. The Flowmaster will apparently still be the base system. All of the foregoing is hearsay and rumor as I've seen no public statement on the issues from AEV. The Magnaflow exhause is a "tight tuck" and is all welded (within reason I'd guess since you have to install it somehow). Those who have seen it say it's a "work of art." So that's going to be installed in about two weeks. I'm really looking forward to the new exhaust!!

Most of you already know that CB is heavy in the front from the hemi and that I've been searching for a solution to smoother her out. My guys at OK4WD recommend a new adjustable shock offering from ARB's Old Man Emu line. They are called BP-51 and are an adjustable bypass remote reservoir sock. I've had to be patient since BP-51s are just now available here in the US. The BP-51s are going on at the same time as the new exhaust - the first week of September.

Stay tuned!

JeepLab
08-18-2015, 03:41 PM
I want to see that exhaust before it gets installed. how about an unboxing?

rgeorge33
08-18-2015, 05:51 PM
My passenger side converter failed on my LS3 swap, so I'm having a local hot-rod shop fabricate a custom stainless exhaust using Vibrant GESi 7525 converters and a large Magnaflow muffler, so it's at a sane decibel level. For the time being I had another cheap replacement welded in place, but I want something that looks as good as it sounds! I'd be interested to see the AEV solution also. Keep us posted.

gbaumann
09-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Cherry Bomb is back in tip top shape with four new OME BP-51 Shocks and a new Roush Racing designed 3" stainless steel exhaust built by Magnaflow.

gbaumann
09-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Here are the shocks I went with. These are ARB's new technology. They are adjustable mulit-zone bypass. They have big 2-5/8" tubes and 7/8" piston rods. The best way to describe how CB rides now is to say that it feels like she's lost 1,000 lbs. The difference on and off road is just unbelievable. I can't wait to get Ross back behind the wheel as he's the only other JL person who knows what she felt like before. Oh, and to anyone planning on suspension upgrades I am now a disciple of good shocks. I'd now go as far as saying that the lift you pick (save for the diehard rock crawlers) is less important than the shocks you buy.

I'll get some pics of them on Cherry Bomb.