PDA

View Full Version : Magnuson Supercharger Pentastar Testing Dyno Review

JeepLab
02-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Im probably going to prison for breaking and entering at Magnuson(LOL), but in the meantime lets pound on it a little and see how she responds.

Here's the plan. We are going to install it on a stock 13 Rubicon. We will dyno before and after with stock 4.10 gearing and stock 32" tires. This is the most accurate way for us to figure the true power gain.

Then we will do the 0-60 with stock components, play with it off road... the works. Pics and video during install and testing coming.

I cannot wait to get this thing installed. The sound alone will be worth it. Im expecting a shriek sound out of the eaton style screws.

JeepLab
02-17-2014, 08:47 PM
This SC is the same style as the one chosen for the corvette zr1. And you know that corvette R&D team knows what they are doing, and has an unlimited budget.

So im intrigued about how the screw style will work in our application. We do LOVE the RIPP unit. The power gain is out of this world. So is the power delivery. The Pentastar motor's vvt suggests that it wants to build power higher in the rpm curve wich is the RIPP unit's forte. (betty is a ROCKET)

This is a different route to the same goal. Completely unknown to us, so we have no idea what to expect.

Besides, being impartial, The goal is to install and test. If Car and Driver only tested bmw's it would be pretty boring to read.

JeepLab
02-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Here's a shot of our test truck "Sweet Pea"

You can see her here with Black Betty our Ripp truck, and in the back is Tonka our Dozer JK on 40s

JeepLab
02-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Here's a shot of the SuperCharger,

Its packed like you wouldn't believe. the foam around it is like the kind thats sprayed in, and expands. Its really shipped locked into place. I think I could throw it off the roof and not be concerned.

The parts feel robust. I guess they have to be.... We are going to try do dyno the stock truck this saturday. Then hopefully get the SC in next week.

It comes with the Trinity T1000.

JeepLab
02-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Here we go....Dyno.

JeepLab
02-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Here is the STOCK dyno chart for Sweet Pea

Rexx19
02-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Here we go.....! GET TO IT ALREADY!

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Stats on our Magnuson Test Truck

2013 JKUR
6 spd
4.10 gears
stock km2 tires (32")

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:23 PM
We are going to operate the install ourselves. There is no shop we are dropping her off and picking her up at.

I want to be able to tell you guys if you can tackle it yourselves or not.

If we hit a wall, I'll tell you.

If there is stuff we screw up that you need to watch out for, I'll tell you.

This is the first time we will take an engine apart, but the instructions are pretty straight forward..... what could go wrong?

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Here We Go!

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Here's the pentastar without the intake manifold

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Now we have the wire harness and AC bracket out

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Cleaning cylinder heads

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Alternator out!

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Nothing scary so far. It's going smooth so far. Knock wood!

Torquing down alternator bolts

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Old and new manifolds

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Modded fuel rails on magnuson aluminum manifold.

Modding took about 3 min with Dremel tool.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:35 PM
High flow magnuson injectors going into modded stock fuel rails

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Instructions make it a breeze...

3.5 hours in -

New manifold hosed up!

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Instructions are some of the best I've seen. Big color pictures.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Manifold complete with fuel rails and getting married to supercharger

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Manifold and supercharger married.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Now attention is back in the engine bay. Modding hoses. The left pcv hose gets cut and reinstalled, the the main engine harness is unplugged and re-routed , then the heater tube is removed.

*note - when removing the heater tube loosen the radiator cap to relieve pressure. So you don't spray the coolant that's under pressure

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Heater hose modded with 90 degree turn.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:49 PM
The Dremel makes another appearance, trimming the center wire harness stud

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Sweet pea's new heart going in!!

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:52 PM
SC IN!! Bolt down with progressive tightening pattern....zig zag.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Belt back on....injectors plugged in... Main harness in.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Throttle body in.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Magnuson radiator in. Check out the jeep logo at the top.... Nice touch

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Still a ways to go... And we HATE back tracking. Trying to get it right the first time. No real mechanics here either just guys with a little tech knowledge carefully reading the instructions.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Crossing 7 working hours

IMPOTRANT- the black hose my finger is on runs to the magnuson air cooler in the trucks nose, there is more than one route to run it thru, make sure it's not kinked. Its dark but my finger is basicly at 12 o'clock in the picture.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Cooler pump and bracket assembled and about to be installed

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Black Betty makes an appearance.....

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Coolant reservoir and hose to the pump. Lots of steps.... But very well thought out instructions.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Wiring her up!! Feels like the home stretch!! This is the fuse center and relay for the pump. Wires run to pump, battery, ground, and we are drilling the hole for the trigger to run to sweet pea's fuse center.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:09 PM
This install is going faster than I can post. Full intake is back in. Look stock? It is the stock intake. This means you can go with an after market induction system or go with a snorkel

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:10 PM
DONE!! Right about 9 hours and we stopped half way to eat. There were no surprises and I posted it all in real time so you can look at the speed we went from the posts. We started at 10am and finished around 7pm.

Important note- we've never installed anything like this before. We had no idea what to expect. The time we took is what you can expect.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Wiring her up!! Feels like the home stretch!! This is the fuse center and relay for the pump. Wires run to pump, battery, ground, and we are drilling the hole for the trigger to run to sweet pea's fuse center.

Hey guys, when I noted this step. I stated that one of the wires from the relay and fuse center went to the battery. This is incorrect. The red wire im referring to in this post goes to the jeeps factory fuse center. Not the battery.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Ok, here's my impressions.

First, you know its different right away. The sound is not as crazy as I expected. Its more subdued, So right now i'd classify Sweet Pea as a sleeper.

She will roll up with her fully stock exterior, then smoke you.

I think that as soon as you add an aftermarket intake like AFE's unit, you will here the more pronounced SHRIEK. I need to see if I can get my hands on one of those and take another sound byte.

Driving-

The power is linear and seemless. More of a freight train feeling early in the RPM band. The power delivery is well planned and there is no burst of power anywhere in the curve.

The torque is lurking under your gas pedal all the time. Nudge the throttle in any gear and you'll know its not stock.

The pentastar loves the extra air getting forced in.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Here it is...

http://youtu.be/VKJuN5GuQck

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 05:14 PM
the pentastar with an aftermarket intake and NO supercharger sounds mean. I'll see about getting one installed

THIS VIDEO IS SOUND OF AN INTAKE NO SUPERCHARGER> JUST MAKING A POINT.

http://youtu.be/p2f4Uh6aE1U

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Driveability is spot on. You wouldn't know the truck was supercharged if you didn't know jeeps and got behind the wheel. You would just think it was powerful. The power dosent come on all at once, like a lot of aftermarket power mods. You would just think jeeps were fast. The power is steady across the rpm band.

stop and go traffic? no different than any pentastar, but the gas pedal feels lighter and the power plant is always more "ready" with power if you brush against the gas pedal.

Remember this is a stock Rubi outside of the SC so we aren't making it turn huge tires, or steel bumpers or any of that stuff. Sweet pea will get built up this year but for right now we were looking for the max power without weighing her down.

One issue is some power surging at cruising speeds on the highway, Im sure it will get sorted in the next tune.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Hemi still worth the money?

Either supercharger will smoke a hemi. My position is that there is NO point in tearing your engine out for a hemi. If you followed my threads, there was a thread that I opened about a year about challenging anyone with a hemi to line up with Black Betty. I watched the thread and cultivated it for months.

There were no takers, And im not in kansas somewhere, I can see NYC out my window. The most money in the country is in this area, so there are hemi's here. Did anyone want to tangle with Betty? NOPE.

I made the offer publicly. And would have taped the race had I been able to get an opponent. Couldnt have put my money on the table more.

As far as RIPP vs. Magnuson directly, The head to head is coming.

I wanted to give the Magnuson info out to catch up with the work we did with RIPP's unit last year.

Once the same tests are done, we will line them up and test head to head.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Here's how it went.

My dyno is first. We had some issues with the air in the shop, the guy was running it without a fan. Pete, one of my guys, and the owner of the truck had to turn the fan on in the place.

Here are my numbers and Magnuson's.

They are on two different dyno machines, in different locations, and Im feeling like I might want to get another shot at the dyno with sweet pea.

Sweet Pea's First dyno

Here is Magnuson's own chart.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Magnuson Pentastar Dyno with "Engine Speed"

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Here is the dyno chart with the original dyno on the same page.

Here's what you have to understand. In 4th gear, when we started, the truck had a speed limiter that we hit around 5500 rpm. Thats why the band is shorter.

In 3rd gear we got around 220 hp. keeping away from the speed limiter.

4th gear is more the 1 to 1 with the stock tires, and without the limiter you can see the results. I only mention it, because I think the pentastar makes about 225 "uncorrected" which makes sense and agrees with black betty's stock dyno last year.

So this is the chart of both 4th gear pulls, but the lower one is short because of the speed limiter in the JK that was removed with the magnuson tune. (thus we don't hit it after)

Even tho we didn't get the same numbers magnuson got, that torque curve is pretty sexy.

Stock vs. Supercharged Dyno Chart

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 08:38 PM
There was a fan on when this pull happened. The guy doing the dyno didn't start working with the fan on. The point i was trying to make was maybe this wasn't the most professional set up. But in NJ its hard to find a dyno, we drove 50 min to get to this one.

That 4th gear dyno is cut short by the speed limiter. I think the pentastar makes about 220 whp. UNCORRECTED. I think you can expect more like 65 whp increase from stock with my numbers.

The magunson dyno shows a better power gain.

Is it because my numbers are the 4th pull of the day? Poor ventilation?

I don't know. but for reference I wanted to give you guys what I got.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 08:39 PM
I think another dyno will tell the tale. Im going to get there early and keep it cold, then make it sing.

Better air flow and a cold SC is the way to get the best numbers, but that takes the real world testing and puts it in a test tube which is not my intention.

Betty's dyno won't happen for at least 10 days, as i have to wait for Super Bowl sunday to pass, its a mad house in this area right now.

I sent magnuson my air flow files and they told me that the flow is off or the unit reading the flow is off. So I'm going to let them look it over and if they send a new tune between now and the next dyno i may have new info.

If the new numbers are significantly different we will know its the shop i used, as the weak link in the chain.

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Sweet pea's gettin new oil before dyno

This is the magnuson oil filter, its 2 pieces because with the blower on the engine, you cannot get a standard oil filter in and out.

JeepLab
02-21-2014, 05:05 PM
2nd dyno chart for magnuson

Now, about the chart I posted,

Magnuson told me to bring it to 6100 rpm. We took it to 6500.

Here's what I want you to see.... there is no "crest".

The power line keeps going, What that says is that this unit has more firepower than this dyno is showing. The mechanics wanted us to take it to 7k, but I wouldnt let them with the truck not belonging to me.

Pete was standing right there, and seemed like he wasnt against taking it further, but had something gone wrong i wouldnt have forgiven myself.

He LOVES his jeep more than anyone I know, and Im a guy who LOVES his Jeep.

No one here is taking their truck past 6500 regardless.

What I like -

That torque curve is very strong, and its consistant, when you check the prior dyno, its the same line.

What I dont like -

Anyone who buys this unit should consider an intake, Im going to put on on Sweet Pea, because I think the stock intake is -

1. air constrictive.
2. kills the sound that pentastar makes.

Right now Sweet Pea sounds far more "polite" than betty, but would she scream with the intake on? Get the plastic cover off her mouth. I'm pretty sure the difference would be night vs. day.

Ill get one on and sound bite it.

Then the question will be....what does she dyno at with the intake's less restrictive air flow?.......

Pete
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM
I am expecting an intake and exhaust to make a drastic difference in sound. To the layperson, I'm not sure you would even here the supercharger.

JeepLab
02-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Agreed on both accounts.

I think an intake will change the sound significantly.

Deola
03-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Agreed on both accounts.

I think an intake will change the sound significantly.

Planning to add this before summer with 5.13s to my 12 jkur on 35s with a 6 speed. I guess your opinion of the afe intake on the old site means that's the one you would suggest...?

JeepLab
03-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Planning to add this before summer with 5.13s to my 12 jkur on 35s with a 6 speed. I guess your opinion of the afe intake on the old site means that's the one you would suggest...?

did you already gear this truck? (5.13 seems like a lot for a 6spd)

and also, the AFE intake is a good unit. The pipe to the intake is metal, VS. a lot of options are plastic.

Deola
03-02-2014, 08:06 PM
did you already gear this truck? (5.13 seems like a lot for a 6spd)

and also, the AFE intake is a good unit. The pipe to the intake is metal, VS. a lot of options are plastic.

I only use my rubi as a off road or towing rig, the ripp jku sport is the dd. Gears will be done at the same time as sc install. Stock 4.10s now. It's a heavy jku with fab fours(ff)front lifestyle full bumperw/ grill guard, winch, ff rear bumper and tire carrier, and ff rocker guards, interior is linexed. Metal flares in near future. Hard top. And I have a 10ft high side trailer that I load with ranked wood, and have to cross three steep graded/ low speed mountains to get from my land to my house. No interstate ever.

JeepLab
03-03-2014, 06:19 PM
I only use my rubi as a off road or towing rig, the ripp jku sport is the dd. Gears will be done at the same time as sc install. Stock 4.10s now. It's a heavy jku with fab fours(ff)front lifestyle full bumperw/ grill guard, winch, ff rear bumper and tire carrier, and ff rocker guards, interior is linexed. Metal flares in near future. Hard top. And I have a 10ft high side trailer that I load with ranked wood, and have to cross three steep graded/ low speed mountains to get from my land to my house. No interstate ever.

Lets get some pics of that rig! and one with the trailer.

Deola
03-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Lets get some pics of that rig! and one with the trailer.
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red70\green57 \blue57;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0
{\field{\*\fldinst{HYPERLINK "http://totlinnovations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/jk-hood-013.jpg"}}{\fldrslt*
\f0\fs32 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}}}

Deola
03-04-2014, 11:29 AM
......yeah, that didn't work

JeepLab
03-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Were you linking? or uploading the photos?

Deola
03-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Was attempting to upload

Pznivy
03-05-2014, 03:57 PM
I'll be the 6spd with 5.13s really creeps in 4 lo 1st gear.

It must almost seem like its not moving. Thats what you want when your rock crawling. Nothing wrong with MORE GEAR.

Yoinkers
03-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Did we ever get an intake on this SC?

no way I could afford it, but I'd love to hear it.

JeepLab
03-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Funny,

I have a truck (Tonka) that I want to take the intake off, AFE proguard 7,

And I cannot get Tonka and Sweet Pea in the same place at the same time to do it.

It will happen eventually.

acchou
01-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Funny,

I have a truck (Tonka) that I want to take the intake off, AFE proguard 7,

And I cannot get Tonka and Sweet Pea in the same place at the same time to do it.

It will happen eventually.

I have a 2014 Rubi and stock everything except for the 4'5 lift and 37's. My question is on the transfer case, drive shaft and differentials. There will be additional stress on those things because of higher torque. But I am wondering on how long the stock items will last?

Yoinkers
01-06-2015, 01:16 PM
I have a 2014 Rubi and stock everything except for the 4'5 lift and 37's. My question is on the transfer case, drive shaft and differentials. There will be additional stress on those things because of higher torque. But I am wondering on how long the stock items will last?

^^ Thats a tough one. The problem is, that there is no magnuson or ripp or prodigy turbo rig that is more than 3 years old right now. Are the parts you mentioned getting beat up? Maybe. No one can really tell until one breaks and we can see, 55k miles, 2012, and the transfer case went.

Also, how hard are the parts wheeled? Normally breaking stuff off road is when you hit the throttle with a tire bound up or goosing the throttle and the tires slide and then grab. In any of those cases your not going to blame the power mod. That would be on the driver.

Now that being said. If you had a supercharged babied mall crawler, and one of those big ticket parts was to go earlier than normal, THEN i'd blame the power mod.

We are going to have to wait and see. I think the bottom line is, if you are smart with your jeep, and change the fluids and wheel responsibly, I doubt the extra power would hurt the components your talking about.

acchou
01-06-2015, 02:30 PM
^^ Thats a tough one. The problem is, that there is no magnuson or ripp or prodigy turbo rig that is more than 3 years old right now. Are the parts you mentioned getting beat up? Maybe. No one can really tell until one breaks and we can see, 55k miles, 2012, and the transfer case went.

Also, how hard are the parts wheeled? Normally breaking stuff off road is when you hit the throttle with a tire bound up or goosing the throttle and the tires slide and then grab. In any of those cases your not going to blame the power mod. That would be on the driver.

Now that being said. If you had a supercharged babied mall crawler, and one of those big ticket parts was to go earlier than normal, THEN i'd blame the power mod.

We are going to have to wait and see. I think the bottom line is, if you are smart with your jeep, and change the fluids and wheel responsibly, I doubt the extra power would hurt the components your talking about.

Thank for the reply. I do trails that are green to black. I stay off the red since it's mostly mountains and mountains of rocks at Rausch Creek Off Road park. From the sounds of it that it will not break right away (Knock on wood) after I super charge it.

Another quick question. Is the premium gas a requirement after the SC? or can I still use the regular. I know I will not get the maximum performance. I am more worry about the adverse affect. As to if it will hurt the engine/SC.

JeepLab
01-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Another quick question. Is the premium gas a requirement after the SC? or can I still use the regular. I know I will not get the maximum performance. I am more worry about the adverse affect. As to if it will hurt the engine/SC.

If you're gonna pony up the cash for the SC, feed your engine the good gas.

Will it run on regular? Sure, but if you have a failure at 120k, was it because you power modded? or because you cheaped out on gas? You won't know.

BB only drinks Shell 93.

Timmy
01-12-2015, 11:48 AM

Probably the best place to look for your answer is with people who have done the V8 swap years ago. The SC's and Turbo's are too new to even have enough data to know how the stock parts will hold up. The V8 swap guys have been doing that for years now, so they would have the most real-world data on how much added torque the stock parts can handle.

For the differentials, at least you know the specs of a Dana 44, etc. and those are often used in the application of a V8. For the drive shaft, well, it is busts, damn, it busts, and you buy a new one. I wouldn't be surprised if there is lots of information out there on the transfer case and what other vehicles are using the same transfer case that potentially have a higher torque engine in them? I know *nothing* about the t-case, but, did it come from Mercedes? Is it used in the Grand Cherokee as well? Maybe a Durango? If so, then you'll probably have your answer that it can handle more torque just fine.