PDA

View Full Version : RIPP vs. Magnuson...SuperCharger Shootout!

JeepLab
02-18-2014, 12:45 PM
You knew it was coming. Its finally here. We are going to turn these to SuperCharger heavy weights loose against one another in a battery of tests. Lets get to know the competitors.

125 124

Reigning Champ - Black Betty. She's and internet celebrity, been on the cutting edge of prototype gear for the last 2 years. She'll be representing RIPP SuperChargers in this all out throw down. She is a Rubicon Unlimited with 4.10 gearing and for the purposes of these tests, she will shed her 37'' KM2s in favor of BFG Kms 255/75r17. (stock Rubi tires)

126 127

The Challenger - Sweet Pea / Pea Soup'd. Yes she's got two names, one from us, and the other from one of our readers. She's essentially brand new. 2013 JKUR all stock everything....Except her Magnuson SuperCharger.

Whats the difference? Two routes to the same end. MORE POWER. its widely known that there is really no way to add punch to your JEEP JK without taking drastic measures. We have done the dyno testing on intakes and exhausts. The sound changes, but not much else. If you really want to unleash the beast that is your pentastar JK motor, we are paving the road for you.

JeepLab
02-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Each unit does give the truck the air that something incredible is lurking under the hood.

The Magnuson is very understated. Thats going to be their calling card, until you hit the gas. Here are the two grills side by side.

139 140

The RIPP unit is more "in your face". You could walk by the MAG and not think there was anything special going on. Complete Sleeper.

With RIPP you can tell a mile away that your not dealing with the normal JK. There is a monster living under the hood. And that intercooler is the only warning you can see from a distance.

Here are the full noses.

141 142

As far as picking a winner here, its going to come down to your personal taste. However for overall coolness, the victory in this category goes to RIPP

Coolness Winner: RIPP

JeepLab
02-18-2014, 02:35 PM
We didn't install our RIPP unit, but we can pretty much see how it was done. We did the MAG unit ourselves in under 9 hours overall with an hour break in the middle.

The RIPP install is the more invasive of the two. People say you can unbolt and go back to stock if you want. With the RIPP unit, its not quite that easy. there is some sections of the engine bay that need trimming to fit the pipes thru to the intercooler. You are not fixing that after the fact. So there will always be clues to anyone looking that the engine bay was modded at some point. The trimming isnt severe, but its there.

You will also change the coolant bottle with the RIPP unit. Something else to hold on to if you thought you might uninstall in the future.

Here's the finished product

The magnuson install is borderline easy, and less invasive. You will cut some hoses, but nothing that cannot be undone later. It does have a flaw however. When you install the coolant pump, you'll see its low in the engine bay. About the same level as the bumper. This pump is water "resistant" but not "waterproof". So its a consideration you have to be aware of off road. We think they will relocate it in the future, or change to a waterproof pump, but as of today, its not.

Installation Winner: Magnuson

Rexx19
02-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Finally! Been waiting for this one....Subscribed!

JeepLab
02-18-2014, 06:53 PM
This is a tough call. But since we are comparing out of the box units, I have to do it as it is.

Ill tell you right out of the box, its RIPP by a mile. You can barely tell that the Magnuson unit is installed, as "out of the box" like we are talking here, you would put your stock intake back on. The stock intake silences the pentastar. Here are some soundbytes so you can see the difference from one unit to the other.

Here's the RIPP's sound bytes

First, here is the drive by sound. Black Betty sounds like a fighter jet on the road. The whistling pentastar sounds like a jet engine.

** Sweet Pea is in this video, but she is not supercharged at the time. We used her as the stock jeep.

http://youtu.be/U-fNB7jIU3c

Heres another one

http://youtu.be/Si_7kMqgUMI

Now for the Magnuson unit -

http://youtu.be/VKJuN5GuQck

Just for fun, to show how terrible the stock intake is for muffling the fantastic noises that the pentastar engine makes, here is a video we did for the AFE Pro Guard 7 intake. You can hear the difference immediatly, and this is just the intake.

http://youtu.be/p2f4Uh6aE1U

As far as crowning a winner with only the gear you get "out of the box" with your supercharger purchase, RIPP wins easily, once you put an intake on the Magnuson unit, it might be a completely different ball game. (ill do it for fun)

Sound Winner: RIPP

JeepLab
02-18-2014, 06:56 PM
after listening to those videos, we really have to get an intake on the Magnuson unit.

Pznivy
02-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Is the snow melted there yet? I cant wait for you to post the side by side zero to 60s.

Ive got my finger on the trigger for an SC.

JeepLab
02-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Im going to wire the trucks up for the 0-60 this weekend both with the stock tires.

The snow is melting. And it should be about 50 degrees.

I need to figure out the weight differences between the trucks, as Betty is heavier and taller, Im going to put some extra weight in Sweet pea for an even test.

I'll figure it out down to the ounce.

Rexx19
02-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Whats the next category?

JeepLab
02-23-2014, 03:12 PM
the 0-60 video is done, Im editing now. stay tuned.

JeepLab
02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Can anyone figure out the actual 0-60 for a Pentastar Rubicon?

The 0-60s im finding from chrysler are with lower gearing.

Gunner
02-23-2014, 09:03 PM
This place is a pretty good resource for specs on jeeps.something happened Gotta go back and check what is wrong.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com
Just fill in the jeep you want and you can get specs on it for all speeds.

Pete
02-23-2014, 09:13 PM
I see 9.3 seconds on this page with 3.73s.

This place is a pretty good resource for specs on jeeps.something happened Gotta go back and check what is wrong.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com
Just fill in the jeep you want and you can get specs on it for all speeds.

JeepLab
02-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Each unit does give the truck the air that something incredible is lurking under the hood.

The Magnuson is very understated. Thats going to be their calling card, until you hit the gas. Here are the two grills side by side.

139 140

The RIPP unit is more "in your face". You could walk by the MAG and not think there was anything special going on. Complete Sleeper.

With RIPP you can tell a mile away that your not dealing with the normal JK. There is a monster living under the hood. And that intercooler is the only warning you can see from a distance.

Here are the full noses.

141 142

As far as picking a winner here, its going to come down to your personal taste. However for overall coolness, the victory in this category goes to RIPP

Coolness Winner: RIPP

Here's a comment from Gunner in our blog. -

The Maggie looks like an A/C unit. The Ripp looks B/A. That said I would most likely spray them black to keep it low profile from thieves. I had a GMC Typhoon back in the day. It used the water to air. The unit needed lots of airflow to not get hot. The faster guys switched to air to air for drags and high speed stuff. I am looking forward to how it holds up during your first summer. I am betting on the air to air having cooler intake temps when your running in traffic. Plus the Blower is right on top of the engine where the ripp is in the air flow from the radiator. It is going to be interesting.

Deola
02-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Let's see those videos and stats, so we can pull the trigger. Great work you guys are doing

JeepLab
02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks!

The 0-60 vid should be out later today. Im trying to juggle my day job and finish editing.

JeepLab
02-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Here's the head to head 0-60 video. Tell us what you think.

http://youtu.be/l4tl_n-GPps

JeepLab
02-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Next up im going to lay the dyno charts on top of one another so we can see the exact differences at different RPM

Deola
02-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Next up im going to lay the dyno charts on top of one another so we can see the exact differences at different RPM

Looking forward to the numbers, and curves.

UselessPickles
02-25-2014, 10:33 AM
That should only take about 5 minutes :-p

You know you can load multiple run files into WinPEP at the same time to view multiple runs on the same chart? Open all relevant files into WinPEP, take a screenshot, post to the forum... DONE! Maybe include the stock dyno run in there too for a direct comparison between all 3.

JeepLab
02-26-2014, 06:46 PM
I learned a little about weight vs. time with 0-60 testing, and the lesson was that 100 lbs = .10 seconds.

Deola
02-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Never mind the company who's 3.6 sc I already have had for months just convinced me to never buy from them again. Since they are on their 2nd tune on the jku and still can't get it right. I could even live with that, as I understand that the product is new. Even though their test jku is the exact same setup and they claim it's reliability is superior. Anyways what sealed the deal was I have left messages beginning over a month ago via phone and email and have yet to be contacted. Yet when I inquired about purchasing a second sc kit my call was returned within the hour....

JeepLab
02-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Never mind the company who's 3.6 sc I already have had for months just convinced me to never buy from them again. Since they are on their 2nd tune on the jku and still can't get it right. I could even live with that, as I understand that the product is new. Even though their test jku is the exact same setup and they claim it's reliability is superior. Anyways what sealed the deal was I have left messages beginning over a month ago via phone and email and have yet to be contacted. Yet when I inquired about purchasing a second sc kit my call was returned within the hour....

Don't give up hope. Pm me your details and I'll try to help you get it sorted out. Any sc is too expensive to not be happy with the purchase.

Deola
02-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Oh I'm working on it now, just saying I won't be getting anything else from them because once they got paid they quit being responsive.

Snarf77
02-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Oh I'm working on it now, just saying I won't be getting anything else from them because once they got paid they quit being responsive.

That seems fairly abnormal for any company. Hopefully you PM'd Ross; I know he'd help try to figure out what happened.

JeepLab
03-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Ok this test is in the books. Here's what you can't tell from the video -

The two units run almost the same time. How they run it is different. The power delivery with the Magnuson with their torque curve is different from the RIPP. Both are very fast. The Mag is like a freight train the moment you hit the gas. Power is even and seems to build endlessly. You can see that from their horsepower curve that we couldn't get to "crest" at 6500 rpm. (in the magnuson thread)

The RIPP on the other hand is more finesse power as you mash the gas pedal. More delicate at first, then the power build over 3k rpm is steeper than the Magnuson for more of a "shot out of a canon" feeling.

Had the trucks been side by side, I think the Mag would have lept out in front at first, and then the RIPP would have closed the gap as the blower goes nuts in the higher side of the RPM band.

As far as who would win a race? I think it would come down to the pilot.

Deola
03-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Have you or anyone else on here run the ripp on a 3.6 auto with gears?

JeepLab
03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Ross (RIPP)'s sahara tan JK is an auto with 4.88s I could get info on that if there is something specific you want to know

Deola
03-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Ross (RIPP)'s sahara tan JK is an auto with 4.88s I could get info on that if there is something specific you want to know
4.56 here and it shifts fine in 'manual' mode, but when left in D and full throttle it hesitates when shifting in all except when going from first to aecond. This hesitation is only at full throttle, but last as long as it takes to completely unspool the vortech. I've already contacted ripp already multiple times and even pulled the tune out and reinstalled it. They suggested it was the procal so I pulled it and reinstalled it. No change either time. This 1-2 second stall isn't very welcome when passing. I have a short video of it if I can load it I will.

Deola
03-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Works great with auto stick and 4.56s though.

Snarf77
03-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Works great with auto stick and 4.56s though.

5.9 seconds! HOT!

UselessPickles
03-09-2014, 10:31 PM
So how about the dyno chart comparison? Have you put all the comparison stuff on hold until you get caught up with the new Prodigy turbo so you can make this a threesome?

JeepLab
03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
So how about the dyno chart comparison? Have you put all the comparison stuff on hold until you get caught up with the new Prodigy turbo so you can make this a threesome?

Not so much holding back the charts for the turbo, I've just been side tracked with some other stuff, and its more than just posting the chart. Im trying to explain the differences at different levels of the RPM band. So I'm getting it all together. It will be up this week. (prob tomorrow) with full review.

JeepLab
03-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Ok here are the side by side dyno charts.

Horsepower first.

Ripp is blue Mag is Red.

Both Trucks-
4.10 Gearing
32" Stock Rubicon Tires
6spd
=identical powertrains outside of the SC. The weight and height differences between Betty and Sweet Pea are nulified on the dyno.

Here's where things between these two killer units become more clear.

You can feel the way this chart looks when you drive each truck. The Mag power is AMPLE when you hit the gas pedal and stays that way, all the way through the powerband. The RIPP is "finesse" power early, but it goes CRAZY late.

JeepLab
03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
So when you glimpse the horse power chart, you think RIPP runs away with it with that surge at the top of the powerband. And it does. IF you look at the chart that way.

The other way to look at it, is the Red Magnuson line is on top from about 2300 RPM to 4000 RPM. Thats the zone many of us live in on the road.

This is where you alone can choose a winner for your own purposes.

UselessPickles
03-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Can we get a torque chart that also includes the stock jeep?

JeepLab
03-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Can we get a torque chart that also includes the stock jeep?

Yes, let me dig up the stock dyno and ill add it to the HP chart, then do torque.

UselessPickles
03-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Torque chart is generally more useful to look at than the power chart. Power is quite an abstract and difficult to understand concept, especially when plotted vs RPM. Torque is directly proportional to the amount of acceleration you will experience, at least at lower speeds before drag starts playing a serious role.

Torque charts will effectively visualize how both stock and Magnuson maintains nearly steady acceleration through the RPM range (Magnuson just has more than stock), compared to the RIPP's acceleration increasing the whole time. You feel acceleration, but you REALLY feel changes in acceleration. With more torque available at lower RPMS, the Magnuson will feel much more impressive as you stomp on the pedal, because it will be a sudden larger change in acceleration than RIPP. But as you keep the pedal buried the RIPP will feel more impressive as acceleration continues to increase. Not just because of eventually having more torque than Magnuson at higher RPMs, but also because of the continuous INCREASE in acceleration; you're body is more sensitive to changes in acceleration. I'd be willing to bet that the RIPP subjectively "feels" faster starting at an RPM a bit lower where the Magnuson is still actually accelerating faster.

When a gear change (upshifting near redline at full throttle) comes in to play, the RIPP will have a more drastic decrease in acceleration, which will "feel" more disappointing than when upshifting on the Magnuson, even though the RIPP may actually still be accelerating faster than the Manguson right after the upshift. I'll be able to clearly demonstrate this with some fancy acceleration vs. speed (through all gears) graphs, once you send me the dyno run files :)

JeepLab
03-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Here is the same MAG vs. RIPP power chart. This one shows the stock power line also.

These pulls are all in 4th gear. The jeep's stock speed limiter kicks in on the green stock bar, at about 95mph.

UselessPickles
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Didn't you have a dyno run of stock in 3rd gear that allowed you to test the full RPM range?

JeepLab
03-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Didn't you have a dyno run of stock in 3rd gear that allowed you to test the full RPM range?

I have the 3rd gear pull for stock, but 4th gear is the better 1 to 1 ratio. I don't have a 3rd gear dyno for the supercharged trucks.

If you want to see them on the same chart, its going to be in 4th gear. The 3rd gear number I think was about 185, I don't have a supercharged 3rd gear pull to put beside it.

UselessPickles
03-12-2014, 02:04 PM
I think a complete 3rd gear pull is still better than an incomplete 4th gear pull. The difference in the results shouldn't be that big. You could compare the 3rd and 4th gear stock torque curves (plotted against RPM rather than speed) to confirm that there's not a significant difference.

Rexx19
03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Give us the torque!!

JeepLab
03-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Here is the power chart the way pickles wants it....or as close as I can get it.

The 2 superchargers are in 4th gear. The stock line is power in 3rd gear. I just laid the stock 3rd gear pull over the 4th gear pull and its pretty much the same line till the spot where the 4th gear pull hits the speed limiter.

So this should be pretty close to accurate. BUT THESE TRUCKS ARE NOT ALL IN THE SAME GEAR.

JeepLab
03-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Torque is coming.

UselessPickles
03-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Here is the power chart the way pickles wants it....

Thanks for appeasing me :)

I like how the stock dyno pull started down near 1000 RPM. All the "I need loads of torque off-idle or else it's useless for me" people are going to complain that we can't see the torque gains in the 1000-2000 RPM range. Then there will be conspiracy theories about how you purposely avoided charting that area with the superchargers because of the lack of gains there.

Guess you have to start over :-p. When you get your hands on the Prodigy turbo, can you try to start that dyno pull as low as possible?

Give us the torque!!

YES!

JeepLab
03-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Then there will be conspiracy theories about how you purposely avoided charting that area with the superchargers because of the lack of gains there.

Guess you have to start over :-p. When you get your hands on the Prodigy turbo, can you try to start that dyno pull as low as possible?

You realize, im not operating the truck on the dyno. Im standing 30 ft away. Then they email me the file. That stock dyno is at a different shop from the SC dynos also.

I can ask them to start the line as early as possible I guess.

JeepLab
03-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Here's the torque chart.

Same story as horsepower, Magnuson at the bottom, Ripp at the top.

Both Kill the stock numbers by close to 100 lb/ft.

UselessPickles
03-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Looks like the Magnuson might not have as big of an advantage over the RIPP at low rpms as people seem to assume based on the centrifugal vs roots-type generalizations. Although, it's impossible to know what the story is below 2000 rpm with certainty based on this chart. But as I've already shown thanks to the magic of math, 2000 rpm looks to be a low enough rpm to be useful for general off-roading: http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?33-OMG-Prodigy-TURBO!&p=802&viewfull=1#post802

Gunner
03-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Great stuff Ross. And Pickles that is also right on math. The only thing I would add is that it is available power, It comes in as needed. If you don't have your foot in it you not going to get much if any increase in power. Which you might not want all the time. But if you need to suddenly scrabble up a loose hill then it is all right there. I assumed that the Maggie would have the edge in low speed and feel. I am surprised at just how close they are at low speed. The Maggie has the smoother curve of the two at low speed, which should be fuel and spark curve management. I love to crawl but I also love blasting across the lake beds. This is just some great stuff. Having had some experience with building turbo motors I am really looking forward to the third installment. Done right it should beat both of them across the board.

Pznivy
03-17-2014, 06:45 PM
They really turn out to be close to even. What you gain with RIPP high, you gain with MAG low. Hard to pick a winner.

There is one loser... the hemi. I dont think the hemi's powerband would touch either of these.

Yoinkers
03-17-2014, 07:53 PM
We should work out a dollars per horsepower ratio and see who comes out on top.....Dollars per lb/ft torque?

Anotheruserid
05-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Any more impressions of the magnuson unit as a daily driver?

JeepLab
05-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Any more impressions of the magnuson unit as a daily driver?

Sure, its better now than before. We got a new tune recently, and the only problem that seems to remain in a "surging" at crusing speed. it feels like the driver is touching the gas and letting go, over and over, but he's not.

Im assuming it should be ironed out soon. but other than that, its a beast.

Pete
05-07-2014, 06:52 PM
And here are 2 sound bytes with my recent additions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhn6xnu6ROE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCSj01GStMc

An intake is a must for the magnuson. Before the intake, I hardly even heard it. The untrained ear would not have known there was a beast under my hood. Well, they know now!

JeepLab
05-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Check this guy out!

Deola
05-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Sounds great

gbaumann
05-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Sure, its better now than before. We got a new tune recently, and the only problem that seems to remain in a "surging" at crusing speed. it feels like the driver is touching the gas and letting go, over and over, but he's not.

Im assuming it should be ironed out soon. but other than that, its a beast.

Hi All. I'm new to JeepLab but have been following along for a while now. I just finished installing the Magnuson S/C on my 2013 JKU. I'm working out the "kinks" now and I'm wondering how often you get updated tune files from Magnuson? My original tune file was missing ETC tables (thank Diablosport for noticing!). Mag sent me a new tune file and all seems OK. I notice some things like slight drop-out of throttle response at certain accelerator positions, a really "tall" fourth gear during highway on-ramp acceleration. It would be great to get any updates to tune files.

Thanks,

gbaumann
05-08-2014, 02:49 PM
BTW - the Magnuson supercharger is has been a pleasure on my daily driver. I added an AFE cold air intake.

Rexx19
05-09-2014, 01:16 PM
BTW - the Magnuson supercharger is has been a pleasure on my daily driver. I added an AFE cold air intake.

do you experience the surging trottle at crusing highway speed?

gbaumann
05-09-2014, 02:55 PM
do you experience the surging trottle at crusing highway speed?

I do experience some irregularity. It's not terrible. I too would hope it will get worked out in future tunes or perhaps through some tweaking to the bypass mechanism. I can't tell why it's happening. I don't feel like the throttle is surging as much as I feel like unwanted boost may be kicking in or current boost may be cutting out.

Deola
05-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Have many tunes have they put out for the manual?

JeepLab
05-09-2014, 05:42 PM
I do experience some irregularity. It's not terrible. I too would hope it will get worked out in future tunes or perhaps through some tweaking to the bypass mechanism. I can't tell why it's happening. I don't feel like the throttle is surging as much as I feel like unwanted boost may be kicking in or current boost may be cutting out.

Hmmmmmm. Its really odd, since the truck is basically at rest cruising. Im sure mag is on it tho. Its the only real blip we deal with.

JeepLab
05-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Have many tunes have they put out for the manual?

Tune update count -

Magnuson 2 since Jan of 2014
RIPP 10 since March of 2013

gbaumann
05-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Hmmmmmm. Its really odd, since the truck is basically at rest cruising. Im sure mag is on it tho. Its the only real blip we deal with.

Do you experience anything like the throttle "surge" it with the RIPP? Does the RIPP programming / Mag programming affect shifting differently? Truth be told, after a week I'm pretty much shifting in auto-man mode all the time. There is so much torque and to me it feels better to shift up a bit quicker and let the motor do its thing. It's also more comfortable for me to limit the drop from 5th to 4th when passing on the highway.

I must say I went with Magnuson because I'm 46 years old. I'v have built several high performance GM small and big blocks over what seems like a lifetime. There is no way I would have anything other than a screw atop my motor. From the time I was a teenager the holy grail was a roots screw sitting through the hood. So for me, the choice was more out of plain preference than any belief that it's better or worse than a centrifugal unit. I only wish I had a big red plunger switch on my shifter to turn the blower on and off (along with a sawed off shotgun and a dog to ride the wasteland with me).

Seriously though, the data you have collected as awesome!

I will also say that I spent some time off road this week and my jeep is a completely different animal (and I mean ANIMAL)! I am now in search of any incline I can climb.

JeepLab
05-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Do you experience anything like the throttle "surge" it with the RIPP? Does the RIPP programming / Mag programming affect shifting differently? Truth be told, after a week I'm pretty much shifting in auto-man mode all the time. There is so much torque and to me it feels better to shift up a bit quicker and let the motor do its thing. It's also more comfortable for me to limit the drop from 5th to 4th when passing on the highway.

I must say I went with Magnuson because I'm 46 years old. I'v have built several high performance GM small and big blocks over what seems like a lifetime. There is no way I would have anything other than a screw atop my motor. From the time I was a teenager the holy grail was a roots screw sitting through the hood. So for me, the choice was more out of plain preference than any belief that it's better or worse than a centrifugal unit. I only wish I had a big red plunger switch on my shifter to turn the blower on and off (along with a sawed off shotgun and a dog to ride the wasteland with me).

Seriously though, the data you have collected as awesome!

I will also say that I spent some time off road this week and my jeep is a completely different animal (and I mean ANIMAL)! I am now in search of any incline I can climb.

The young guys who read this wont get the Road Warrior / Mad Max references, I do. and when you think screw type SC, my mind goes right there. (turbo interceptor) Classic.

1- the surge im talking about with the mag is when cruising on the highway, power will start and stop as if you are touching the gas pedal, when your not. The RIPP dosent do that.

2- Differences in shifting - I honestly have no idea, all our trucks are Manual trans. My brain says regardless of the tune or the SC the tranny is unchanged and shift points are unchanged (im really not sure)

The mag is great down low, there are pros and cons to each that really all comes down to preference. Black Betty whistles like an F-16, Sweet Pea shrieks. The winner in a race will come down to the driver, and when it comes to off road capability, that will also come down to the driver.

the other Ross, from RIPP has driven Black Betty with me in the passenger seat, and has scared me to death. She is faster than my driving skill. He can chirp my 37s in 3rd gear.

gbaumann
05-09-2014, 10:31 PM
I get the same symptom. Do Magnuson and RIPP send new tunes automatically?

JeepLab
05-11-2014, 07:04 PM
I get the same symptom. Do Magnuson and RIPP send new tunes automatically?

that would be smart, that they have a email list where you could be surprised with a new tune.... i dont think either works that way.

UselessPickles
05-11-2014, 08:04 PM
With the new custom pre-loaded InTune that RIPP and Prodigy are using, it seems they could at least send out an email to inform everyone that a new tune is available. The InTune setup will automatically download updates simply by connecting to a computer with internet access.

gbaumann
05-11-2014, 10:39 PM
OK, I'll keep in touch with Magnuson for any updates and, of course, check here for any new news!

RIPPMODS
05-13-2014, 01:26 PM
OK, I'll keep in touch with Magnuson for any updates and, of course, check here for any new news!

An Email list isn't compiled and databased, more for the reason of most people do not Opt in, and just plain privacy concerns. We do make general announcements on all major forums and all our social media when a new tune is available. Like taking medicine, it wont be administered until asked for.

RIPP

gbaumann
05-13-2014, 06:01 PM
An Email list isn't compiled and databased, more for the reason of most people do not Opt in, and just plain privacy concerns. We do make general announcements on all major forums and all our social media when a new tune is available. Like taking medicine, it wont be administered until asked for.

RIPP

Have I done something wrong in this forum? I posted my experiences in a discussion thread comparing two supercharger systems. I asked some questions about the two systems being compared to generate further discussion and perhaps some more information that readers could use when comparing them. I also asked about some specific issues related to the system I purchased.

Your reply implies that I'm inappropriately asking whether the two companies making the superchargers support their products with updates. I honestly and truly have no idea how your companies work. I don't mean to be naive but perhaps I am misreading your analogy because it seems negative to accept around $6,000 from someone and then leave them with a sick condition until they ask for "medicine."

RIPP vs. Magnuson isn't about only a line on a dyno chart. The comparison also includes product support, customer service, ease of install, overall performance, dyno results, general coolness factor (which I think RIPP wins hands down!) and the other items Jeeplab writes about.

JeepLab
05-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Have I done something wrong in this forum? I posted my experiences in a discussion thread comparing two supercharger systems. I asked some questions about the two systems being compared to generate further discussion and perhaps some more information that readers could use when comparing them. I also asked about some specific issues related to the system I purchased.

Your reply implies that I'm inappropriately asking whether the two companies making the superchargers support their products with updates. I honestly and truly have no idea how your companies work. I don't mean to be naive but perhaps I am misreading your analogy because it seems negative to accept around $6,000 from someone and then leave them with a sick condition until they ask for "medicine."

RIPP vs. Magnuson isn't about only a line on a dyno chart. The comparison also includes product support, customer service, ease of install, overall performance, dyno results, general coolness factor (which I think RIPP wins hands down!) and the other items Jeeplab writes about.

ANSWER: You have done nothing wrong in this forum.

Automatic updates by email would be key for engine mods that require evolving tunes to smooth out wrinkles or just overall improve things. Keeping up with social media is a pain to some, myself included. It would be an excellent surprise if you were just logging into your email like normal and get surprised with a notice that RIPP or Mag or whoever has come up with a new version. Our iPhones do it.

Not so fast.

I think its a more in-depth process to turn over a tune however. They take your tune, and have to use it to generate a new tune, so my understanding is that RIPP can't just make a tune file and then email blast it to their thousands of drivers. This is a case where I think Diablo needs to get with the program as they are the linch pin for all of these power mod companies.

RIPP and Mag pay Diablo THOUSANDS to generate tunes and files. The power companies push diablo products with their own and it seems that if there was a way to simplify updates or create universal files, that would come from diablo.

Perhaps a tune that works in progression, so they always have the "last tune written"

The other side of that is chrysler, and my original tune is different from the next truck, So its a rubix cube that chrysler does not want us to figure out.

Deola
05-13-2014, 08:55 PM

I agree with your outlook, I also see where jeep labs response is correct. I don't think social media is an adequate outlet for that kind of info disperssment as things can be easily missed as we don't all constantly monitor those sites ( especially if we so t know to) seems to be the easy way out.

RIPPMODS
05-14-2014, 01:38 PM

This is my fault for using a poor analogy. I apologize for coming across that way. We constantly try to update and provide the best product possible. In the matter of emailing notifications, we will re-examine the process of keeping an up to date database as per your suggestion. I truly didn't mean to put you on defense with my answer and we always try to provide the best information to all jeepers, whether they have our products or not. I apologize again, and no, you didn't say anything wrong at all.

DHewes
05-14-2014, 09:27 PM
RIPP - Take a look at Constant Contact or Salesforce.com. Both automate the process, can be fully customized, help with many other business CRM tasks, comply with the double opt-in/opt-out requirements of the CAN-SPAM Act and cost about 1/2 as much as a single turbo kit per year.

gbaumann
05-27-2014, 09:38 PM
RIPP - Take a look at Constant Contact or Salesforce.com. Both automate the process, can be fully customized, help with many other business CRM tasks, comply with the double opt-in/opt-out requirements of the CAN-SPAM Act and cost about 1/2 as much as a single turbo kit per year.

No worries and thanks for responding. In the end I'm loving having a supercharged jeep! I've been re-learning how to drive for the last several weeks due to the big differences in characteristics. More importantly I had a somewhat cathartic moment last week during a business trip to Las Vegas. Each year I attend a large retail real estate convention for four or five days. This year I stood on the sixty-second floor of the Encore Hotel looking out beyond the "strip" to the desert and hills. All I could think of is how much I wanted to be out there! Next year (if not sooner), I'll be putting the jeep on a car carrier and shipping it!

gbaumann
06-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi all. I received a call today from a 2014 JKU owner that also installed the Magnuson supercharger. He's having the surging issue too and mentioned that he was expecting a new tune next week from Magnuson. I contact Simon at Magnuson (great guy - always quick to respond and super helpful). Here's what I learned:

There is a new tune being worked on, but it is not quite ready for release yet. Once my tuner gets it finished, we will work with the sales department to try and get it out to everyone, however, I don’t have an exact date on when it will be released.

Simon Gale, Lead Tech
Magnuson Products LLC.

Timmy
06-13-2014, 09:38 AM
JeepLab (or anyone)

I had read another forum a post from the owner of RIPP (this was posted May of 2012) that he had a program where anyone could get a RIPP SC professionally installed for $250 (not the cost of the SC, just the install.) Have you ever heard of this? I'm guessing posted in 2012 meant 3.8L engine. Any chance this is true for a 3.6L engine?

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74375

"Ours bolts on in a few hours, adds 100 more real wheel HP and 90 more ft/lbs of torque - (real world numbers at the wheels through 35-37" tires) and 2-4more MPG (as reported though many end users). Ours systems have been as low as 24 below Zero in Alaska/Canada and in the high heat desert 130 + degrees jumping dunes...

Besides - we have a New low price $4899.95 and now ANY AUTHORIZED DEALER WILL install our system for just $250.00...

RIPP"

Deola
06-14-2014, 03:08 PM
JeepLab (or anyone)

I had read another forum a post from the owner of RIPP (this was posted May of 2012) that he had a program where anyone could get a RIPP SC professionally installed for $250 (not the cost of the SC, just the install.) Have you ever heard of this? I'm guessing posted in 2012 meant 3.8L engine. Any chance this is true for a 3.6L engine?

"Ours bolts on in a few hours, adds 100 more real wheel HP and 90 more ft/lbs of torque - (real world numbers at the wheels through 35-37" tires) and 2-4more MPG (as reported though many end users). Ours systems have been as low as 24 below Zero in Alaska/Canada and in the high heat desert 130 + degrees jumping dunes...

Besides - we have a New low price $4899.95 and now ANY AUTHORIZED DEALER WILL install our system for just $250.00...

RIPP"

The authorized installer price for my Dads 2013 was $1,000. 00, and they made several errors, then even put a bolt through the ac compressor. Ripp said not to use them again, not sure if they are on their list still. ORI in Winchester VA

JeepLab
06-15-2014, 07:33 AM
JeepLab (or anyone)

RIPP"

ive never heard of it, but it would be a good way to sell kits. Lowers the total cost AND you know its in right. It could be the difference in buying an SC at all.

Yoinkers
06-17-2014, 10:13 AM
That could be the nudge I need. Id make the looooong trip to RIPP if it was an option.

2me
06-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Subscribed
I still like the looks of Magnuson's low end power range.

Yoinkers
07-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Subscribed
I still like the looks of Magnuson's low end power range.

Im with this guy^^ but overall, the mag's power band is the sexiest, but these are "Glory" dyno passes, Im sure JL uses cold components, and lets everything cool before running again. What I'm concerned with is the heat soak that Im sure the mag suffers from.

Dyno it once, and then hot lap it, then dyno it again, and the hot numbers will be significantly different from the cold ones. I think the RIPP style suffers from it less.

That would be a good test. Hot superchargers. who loses more power?

Timmy
07-09-2014, 01:39 PM
A buddy of mine just (last night) took this pic of a Jeep in Kalispell, MT. Looks to me like a RIPP SC in it? Nicely done, whoever you are... You have a butt-tone of mods on that sucker from what I can see. (The embedded photo here makes it hard to see the inner-cooler in the front, not sure if there is a way to make the photo bigger?)

Yoinkers
07-14-2014, 10:18 AM
photo boost!

kevlar21
07-14-2014, 01:52 PM
There is a new tune being worked on, but it is not quite ready for release yet. Once my tuner gets it finished, we will work with the sales department to try and get it out to everyone, however, I don’t have an exact date on when it will be released.

Simon Gale, Lead Tech
Magnuson Products LLC.

hi, first post...

first of all thanks for this comparison! its really helping me in deciding on which one to get. im leaning toward the magnuson because of the torque curve. the only thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger is that people are saying that the tune has some issues, such as surging. anyways, i contacted magnuson about the issues (on about 7/11/14) and they said that they will have the tune perfected soon, but they didnt give me an exact date, or where to look for it to be posted. so just wonderin if anyone here or at magnuson has any info on the newest tune or when the surging issues are solved, please post here!

kevlar21
07-14-2014, 01:56 PM
also, jeeplab, do you have any plans to install the 8 psi pulley? (http://www.rubitrux.com/magnuson-jeep-wrangler-supercharger-01-13-36-005-bl-4466.html) if so please post reviews or dyno or whatever!

JeepLab
07-14-2014, 02:11 PM
We have the high altitude pulley for the Ripp unit in my garage. We are about to install that.

We don't have the high altitude pulley for the mag. ill see about getting my hands on it.

JeepLab
07-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Im hoping to have the high altitude pulley on the RIPP this weekend

Timmy
07-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Im hoping to have the high altitude pulley on the RIPP this weekend

How much extra boost do you expect the high elevation (ugh, high _altitude_ even though altitude is for airplanes, elevation is for "earth") pulley to provide at your elevation? Does RIPP really support using this pulley at sea-level type elevations?

JeepLab
07-18-2014, 11:07 PM
How much extra boost do you expect the high elevation (ugh, high _altitude_ even though altitude is for airplanes, elevation is for "earth") pulley to provide at your elevation? Does RIPP really support using this pulley at sea-level type elevations?

weather or not RIPP supports using it at sea level, im not sure.

However, im at sea level. and Im expecting it to make around 12lbs of boost. (Betty is supposed to have about 8lbs boost now)

Yoinkers
07-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Is the high altitude pulley going in this weekend?

JeepLab
07-23-2014, 07:32 PM
also, jeeplab, do you have any plans to install the 8 psi pulley? (http://www.rubitrux.com/magnuson-jeep-wrangler-supercharger-01-13-36-005-bl-4466.html) if so please post reviews or dyno or whatever!

Magnuson contacted me today and is sending the high altitude pulley. We will install both RIPP an Mag and report back.

2k13jk
08-09-2014, 03:17 PM
For all you people having problems with surging my ripp was surging slightly until i dug into the problem more a preset tune is only as good as the person writing the tune. You cant blame the companies for having one truck with a bad tune you have to remember every truck is different and runs differently. To really get your jeep running 100 percent install a wideband gauge so you can monitor your air fuel ratios which is critical to a forced induction motor and pay a local tuner to dial in the air fuels spark fuel delivery at every point in the rpm band so you dont detonate your motor under boost conditions and youll know 100 percent your truck is dialed in and can handle what youll throw at it

JeepLab
08-09-2014, 05:15 PM
For all you people having problems with surging my ripp was surging slightly until i dug into the problem more a preset tune is only as good as the person writing the tune. You cant blame the companies for having one truck with a bad tune you have to remember every truck is different and runs differently. To really get your jeep running 100 percent install a wideband gauge so you can monitor your air fuel ratios which is critical to a forced induction motor and pay a local tuner to dial in the air fuels spark fuel delivery at every point in the rpm band so you dont detonate your motor under boost conditions and youll know 100 percent your truck is dialed in and can handle what youll throw at it

WELCOME NEW GUY!

What does this cost?

the guage and the time to dial it in?

2k13jk
08-10-2014, 11:23 AM
WELCOME NEW GUY!

What does this cost?

the guage and the time to dial it in?

The gauge i bought was an aem wideband and boost built in one it cost about 325 with full wire harness everything needed to get it hooked up it automatically dials itself in and took about 2 hours to install

UselessPickles
08-10-2014, 11:38 AM
A wide band gauge is useless if you don't have the knowledge, skills, and tools to adjust the tune of your vehicle based on the gauge readings.

How much does it cost to have a tuning shop dial in the tune for street driving?

NOLAjeeper
08-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Ive got the AEM wideband gauge and AEM boost gauge that needs to be installed. (Purchased them from Dan from Prodigy when i purchased the stage 1 kit) The shop will be installing this as well when they install my stage 2 and get everything dialed in. Hopefully they can do this Tomorrow before i leave on tuesday for a week..

2k13jk
08-10-2014, 04:22 PM
My tune was 650 my jeep has never been more solid thru out the power band no more surging or hesitation

JeepLab
08-10-2014, 06:52 PM
My tune was 650 my jeep has never been more solid thru out the power band no more surging or hesitation

Cheap enough to consider, but really, the tune from the the manufacturer should sort out issues like surging.

Your shop is probably pretty good. I wouldnt leave the truck with just anyone promising to tune it.

Anyone reading this, check your shop's references.

Rexx19
08-15-2014, 09:24 AM
im a fan of a custom tune. JL's BB tune is pretty much custom as Betty was the 6 speed prototype truck for them. So her tune is not a plug in. Its ripp tuning her perfectly, then sending Betty's tune to the other buyer so the ripp kit.

Pretty cool that people all over the US are driving trucks based on the tuning of Black Betty.

JeepLab
08-15-2014, 09:34 AM
im a fan of a custom tune. JL's BB tune is pretty much custom as Betty was the 6 speed prototype truck for them. So her tune is not a plug in. Its ripp tuning her perfectly, then sending Betty's tune to the other buyer so the ripp kit.

Pretty cool that people all over the US are driving trucks based on the tuning of Black Betty.

BB was the prototype for the manual trans '12 Ripp kit, But I'm not sure that the current tune is built off her cpu. She has been back to RIPP a few times, and they have released new tunes after, but I think Ripp has a few test trucks now, Im not sure if they are all 12s. Betty was the first Manual trans, but I don't think she is currently the only one.

Pznivy
08-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Whats up with the hi alt kits? Deola just put his in, Is JL's SC's upgraded?

JeepLab
08-18-2014, 09:28 PM
We have the parts, but I havent had my hands on sweet pea in weeks, and Betty has been getting her coilovers reworked.

We are getting around to it. Might even dyno the new pulleys for comparison.

Timmy
08-19-2014, 09:45 AM
We have the parts, but I havent had my hands on sweet pea in weeks, and Betty has been getting her coilovers reworked.

We are getting around to it. Might even dyno the new pulleys for comparison.

Oh, yes, yes, please dyno!!!

Did you ever find out, do the SC makers really support using High Elevation pully's at sea level? How much extra psi do you expect out of the high elevation pully's? I thought I remember that standard you were getting around 8 psi, correct?

gbaumann
08-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Cheap enough to consider, but really, the tune from the the manufacturer should sort out issues like surging.

Your shop is probably pretty good. I wouldnt leave the truck with just anyone promising to tune it.

Anyone reading this, check your shop's references.

I agree that 650 is a reasonable price for a custom tune if it will really solve issues we users are having. That said, where does one go to find a good tuner and check their references? I'd even be willing to share a custom tune file with the supercharger manufacturer so they can compare to the tunes they are putting out. Perhaps the feedback might help others. We've been patiently waiting for manufacturers to set up test truck and try to replicate customer issues but it's taking quite a while.

2k13jk
08-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Based on what my tuner has told me and from my data logging on my computer the surging people are experiencing near 2k rpm is the engine running very lean for about a second and picks back up also when WOT the air fuel was running extremely rich. For new people to boost a desired number cruising is 14.7 for air fuel anything above is lean and below that number is rich. My tuner told me that ideal air fuel when WOT full boost should be around 11.1 i was running 8.3 and was losing gas out the tail pipe and lost power running that rich. He tuned it and it runs just like a normal factory truck. Ripp did a well job dialing a in box tune so you can drive it all day everyday but i suggest just getting it dialed in spend the money know your engine is running proper i beleive no truck is the same and will run slightly different depending on conditions

JeepLab
08-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Based on what my tuner has told me and from my data logging on my computer the surging people are experiencing near 2k rpm is the engine running very lean for about a second and picks back up also when WOT the air fuel was running extremely rich. For new people to boost a desired number cruising is 14.7 for air fuel anything above is lean and below that number is rich. My tuner told me that ideal air fuel when WOT full boost should be around 11.1 i was running 8.3 and was losing gas out the tail pipe and lost power running that rich. He tuned it and it runs just like a normal factory truck. Ripp did a well job dialing a in box tune so you can drive it all day everyday but i suggest just getting it dialed in spend the money know your engine is running proper i beleive no truck is the same and will run slightly different depending on conditions

good info!

2k13jk
08-21-2014, 06:13 PM
good info!
So final dyno numbers are in from my custom tune ripps tune made 250 wheel on the dyno running extremely rich now with my new tune i made 344 wheel

JeepLab
08-21-2014, 09:07 PM
So final dyno numbers are in from my custom tune ripps tune made 250 wheel on the dyno running extremely rich now with my new tune i made 344 wheel

standard pulley or high alt?

2k13jk
08-22-2014, 06:41 AM
standard pulley or high alt?

That was with the standard pulley running 8lbs of boost

JeepLab
08-22-2014, 08:34 AM
That was with the standard pulley running 8lbs of boost

Do you have a chart?

I got 328 (I think) 4.10 gearing, 6spd, 32" tires, Did you have all the same set up?

2k13jk
08-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Do you have a chart?

I got 328 (I think) 4.10 gearing, 6spd, 32" tires, Did you have all the same set up?
Im running 35s 6 speed 3.21 gears i have the chart but idk how to upload it

BigPrince
08-22-2014, 02:22 PM
As a new JK owner looking to figure out which direction to go I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences.

JeepLab
08-22-2014, 03:19 PM
As a new JK owner looking to figure out which direction to go I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences.

How did I miss the first post? Did this guy just skip to post 2?

WELCOME PRINCE!

Timmy
08-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Im running 35s 6 speed 3.21 gears i have the chart but idk how to upload it

Really, you are running 3.21 gearing and you got 344 whp? That is awesome. So tell me, how does it drive with your setup? If my finances line up, I'm on the edge of a getting a Magnuson SC, and upgrading to 37" tires (I'm at 35" now.) I imagine 37" tires with my 3.73 ratio will be similar to your 35" tires with the 3.21 ratio, so I'm curious if you feel you need to re-gear (given that we are both manual transmissions, so we can just down shift to a lower gear when needed.)

I wish I could pull the trigger on these items right now, but lately my money has been getting sucked away with family needs. It's amazing how expensive braces are these days for kids! I mean, that's a set of tires right there! Both of them, and that is a supercharger! I'm going to remind them of that when they are older, A LOT. "You like those straight teeth? I hope you do, because your teeth cost me my upgrades on my Jeep. You know how much fun we would have had doing burn-outs and cruisin' around on 37" tires? I hope you appreciate what was sacrificed so you could have straight teeth."

Yoinkers
08-25-2014, 11:03 AM
It seems that the higher axle gear (lower number) makes more power on the dyno.

2k13jk making more than black betty using the factors of larger tires, 32 vs 35, and higher gearing 3.21 vs 4.10 makes the hp numbers climb.... Or so the prodigy thread says.

That seemed to be the reason that Jesse's Girl with a turbo and 4.88s made less power than expected.

SOOOOO many variables with these dynos.

ferrarifast
08-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Hello everyone! I have been stressing for the past week over what SC to buy.. I live in Utah at 4400 ft. above sea level and on occasion pull a two place Harley trailer or a 20' Ski boat over mountain passes (7000-8000 Ft). They are quoting me 10K for the Maggie (High Altitude Version) with Diablo tuner and a PLX multi gauge to monitor boost, AFR, O2 Sensor, knock and alarms. The price includes before and after Dyno testing and four hours of tuning. My quote for the Ripp SC is 8K for the system, install, tuning and Dyno. Is the extra gauges unnecessary and redundant? What is best for my application as described? Any input is greatly appreciated. System is going on a 2012 four door JK, running 35's with a 4 inch teraflex lift and 4.88 gears, automatic tranny, with Ram Air Intake and Magna flow exhaust.

Yoinkers
08-31-2014, 09:02 AM
WELCOME!

Hello everyone! I have been stressing for the past week over what SC to buy.. I live in Utah at 4400 ft. above sea level and on occasion pull a two place Harley trailer or a 20' Ski boat over mountain passes (7000-8000 Ft). They are quoting me 10K for the Maggie (High Altitude Version) with Diablo tuner and a PLX multi gauge to monitor boost, AFR, O2 Sensor, knock and alarms. The price includes before and after Dyno testing and four hours of tuning. My quote for the Ripp SC is 8K for the system, install, tuning and Dyno. Is the extra gauges unnecessary and redundant? What is best for my application as described? Any input is greatly appreciated. System is going on a 2012 four door JK, running 35's with a 4 inch teraflex lift and 4.88 gears, automatic tranny, with Ram Air Intake and Magna flow exhaust.

Im sure JL will weigh in, but in these cases, where we are talking towing i think you want the most low end you can get. The Magnuson may be worth its price here. BUT.... have they figured out their tune?

Manual trans or auto?

ferrarifast
08-31-2014, 09:21 AM
WELCOME!

Im sure JL will weigh in, but in these cases, where we are talking towing i think you want the most low end you can get. The Magnuson may be worth its price here. BUT.... have they figured out their tune?

Manual trans or auto?

Automatic transmission

Rexx19
08-31-2014, 03:05 PM
Automatic transmission

Someone here said that the RIPP SC struggled to shift with the auto. I dont know if mag has the same problem. All the JL trucks are manual trans.

Anyone here have a automatic magnuson who can tell us if you have to "Lift to shift"?

Lift to shift will annoy you. Maybe ripp has worked it out by now, I'd confirm and go with wichever promised that you do not have to "Lift To Shift"

2k13jk
08-31-2014, 04:19 PM
2000 for gauges is way to much i bought an aem wide band and boost built in 1 gauge omes with everything you need to install it. Mine cost 330 from pepboys definitely worth the money

ferrarifast
08-31-2014, 04:52 PM
Someone here said that the RIPP SC struggled to shift with the auto. I dont know if mag has the same problem. All the JL trucks are manual trans.

Anyone here have a automatic magnuson who can tell us if you have to "Lift to shift"?

Lift to shift will annoy you. Maybe ripp has worked it out by now, I'd confirm and go with wichever promised that you do not have to "Lift To Shift"

Yes, I agree. Lift to shift would annoy me... Does anyone have any experience with a Magnuson and auto tranny?

ferrarifast
08-31-2014, 05:08 PM
How hard was it to install yourself? THX

JeepLab
08-31-2014, 06:33 PM
How hard was it to install yourself? THX

The mag is an easy install. We did it on one day.

The lift to shift comment earlier is a good one. Id contact both companies RIPP and Mag and see if they can swear you wont have the lift to shift problem. If they tell you it will be a non issue, then you can decide. If one says no prob, and the other wont, there's your answer.

ferrarifast
08-31-2014, 09:22 PM
The mag is an easy install. We did it on one day.

The lift to shift comment earlier is a good one. Id contact both companies RIPP and Mag and see if they can swear you wont have the lift to shift problem. If they tell you it will be a non issue, then you can decide. If one says no prob, and the other wont, there's your answer.

Thats a good suggestion.. Thank you. How important is the person doing the tuning at the time of install in the whole process? The Maggie dealer is quoting me four hours of tuning at $125.00 per to tune. I thought the programmer unit did the actual tuning or I am missing something here? Money is not really the issue, but I hate being taken advantage of..

2k13jk
09-01-2014, 01:24 AM
My tuner took about 2.5 hours and 5 dyno pulls to dial it in the programmer is whats used to dial in your air fuel ratio along with your timing for optimal performance do not skimp on a good tuner if it comes to saving a few bucks cuase it can cost you an engine if not tuned correctly also the gauge was easy to install hardest part was welding in the wideband bung in the exhaust for the gauge

ferrarifast
09-01-2014, 06:24 AM
Thats good info on the guy doing the tuning. It sounds like a experienced tuner is probably the most important part of the whole process regardless of system one chooses. Thank you for your input

JeepLab
09-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Thats good info on the guy doing the tuning. It sounds like a experienced tuner is probably the most important part of the whole process regardless of system one chooses. Thank you for your input

That is a step beyond. The tune out of the box should be good, Only if you have problems, would I pay someone to customize the tune.

The tunes take months to build, and the tuners at Ripp, Mag, Prodigy, are people who do nothing but tune.

I'd trust them first, and if you find parts you don't like, id tell the manufacturer first, see if they can correct the tune for you. If that fails, then pay a tuner.

I would not jump to screwing with an established tune until i knew i had a problem with it that the person who made it will not solve. Also, your paying by the hour, so to be able to state specific problems that need attention rather than something general will keep the cost down.

"I have a dead spot at 2500 rpm in 3rd gear" "the throttle surges at cruising speed" Stuff like that. Pinpoint the problems first, it will save time and money.

finally, and most important, make sure you have a competent shop. Needs to be a race shop or tuner where the person tuning knows what they are looking at. You don't want some fool with a dyno screwing with your truck. Check references. google the shop. look at it like selecting a doctor to work on your child.

Yoinkers
09-03-2014, 07:26 PM
I got a bad tune job once with a camaro i played with years ago. I got charged for the tune, it wasnt good, then they charged me for the time to fix it, stating that it was the compoents that were at fault.

custom tuning can be a can of worms. F that.

ferrarifast
09-05-2014, 09:33 PM
I ordered the Magnuson SC with high altitude pulley yesterday. The plan is to dyno prior to install as well as after to document the performance gains.. I will keep you posted as job gets done.

JeepLab
09-05-2014, 09:38 PM
I ordered the Magnuson SC with high altitude pulley yesterday. The plan is to dyno prior to install as well as after to document the performance gains.. I will keep you posted as job gets done.

Check this guy out! We love a dyno chart.

What is your gear ratio and tire size?

ferrarifast
09-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Check this guy out! We love a dyno chart.

What is your gear ratio and tire size?

Gears are 4.88 with 35 x 20 Nitto Trail Grapplers...

Timmy
09-06-2014, 10:50 AM

...Gears are 4.88 with 35 x 20 Nitto Trail Grapplers...

Oooooh, thank you, thank you, thank you. Magnuson SC with high elevation pulley, with 35" tires and about that gear ratio is exactly the setup I'd be looking at. Can't wait to see the before and after charts. Are you doing the install yourself or having a shop do it? Do you have any other after market mods on the engine (or planned at same time) such as high-flow air, exhaust, etc.?

BTW... Welcome ferrarifast!

ferrarifast
09-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Oooooh, thank you, thank you, thank you. Magnuson SC with high elevation pulley, with 35" tires and about that gear ratio is exactly the setup I'd be looking at. Can't wait to see the before and after charts. Are you doing the install yourself or having a shop do it? Do you have any other after market mods on the engine (or planned at same time) such as high-flow air, exhaust, etc.?

BTW... Welcome ferrarifast!

Thanks Timmy! I am having the job done by Rick Squire here in Utah. Rick is a well known tuner and former owner of STS Turbo (sold for huge $$). He is a master tuner and I am hoping for some significant gains. Currently I have high flow air (Air Ram) and Magna Flow cat back exhaust done on the Jeep so we shall see what the SC adds to the mix..

FLIPmeOVER
09-09-2014, 07:49 PM
do we have a date on this?

ferrarifast
09-10-2014, 12:54 PM
do we have a date on this?

Waiting for it to arrive from Magnuson... Hopefully soon!

Rexx19
09-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Ferrari, did you get the high alt pulley?

ferrarifast
09-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Rexx19,
Yes I did purchase the high altitude pulley. My elevation here in Utah is 4400-4500 ft so I thought it to be the logical way to go..

FF

Yoinkers
09-18-2014, 01:22 PM
When is this thing getting installed? And is Mag back to selling units? I thought they had a tune issue and pulled their units from the shelves.

ferrarifast
09-19-2014, 10:04 AM
When is this thing getting installed? And is Mag back to selling units? I thought they had a tune issue and pulled their units from the shelves.

Yes they are.. From what I was told by Magnuson themselves, they starting selling units again in July. Mine is scheduled to be installed the first part of October. Just had the Poison Spider front bumper and fenders installed.. Love how they look!

FF1197

FLIPmeOVER
09-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Gotta get the clear turn signals. Those yellow ones are hurting my eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Right-Signal-Light-Mopar/dp/B00GFTTNNA

Other than that, the Jeep is beautiful.

ferrarifast
09-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Gotta get the clear turn signals. Those yellow ones are hurting my eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Right-Signal-Light-Mopar/dp/B00GFTTNNA

Other than that, the Jeep is beautiful.

Thanks Flipmeover!

I just went online and bought them.. Thanks for your suggestion.. They look like a breeze to install.

FF

FLIPmeOVER
09-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks Flipmeover!

I just went online and bought them.. Thanks for your suggestion.. They look like a breeze to install.

FF

My pleasure. I stole it from JL. There was a thread a ways back where they stripped out black betty's turn signals. The difference is most noticable on a black jeep. looks so much better.

ferrarifast
09-23-2014, 11:04 AM
12501251Friends,

The Magnuson install has been put on hold following a severe wreck yesterday. I was hit nearly head on from a older driver who ran a Red Light at the bottom of Provo Canyon. The police estimate they were travelling between 40-50 mph. The paramedic indicated that it was his opinion that my front bumper most likely saved my life.. The irony is that the bumper was just installed last Wednesday... Much thanks to Poison Spider for an excellent, safe product...
I guess that the S/C will wait for a new jeep to be purchased... My biggest worry at this point is whether Farmer's Insurance will cover my add-ons that my Jeep had. My Agent at State Farm indicated that we will pressure them to cover my accessories. Does anyone have any insurance experience where it wasn't your fault and things were covered??

Sore and bruised, yet grateful to be alive!

FF

JeepLab
09-23-2014, 11:15 AM
12501251Friends,

The Magnuson install has been put on hold following a severe wreck yesterday. I was hit nearly head on from a older driver who ran a Red Light at the bottom of Provo Canyon. The police estimate they were travelling between 40-50 mph. The paramedic indicated that it was his opinion that my front bumper most likely saved my life.. The irony is that the bumper was just installed last Wednesday... Much thanks to Poison Spider for an excellent, safe product...
I guess that the S/C will wait for a new jeep to be purchased... My biggest worry at this point is whether Farmer's Insurance will cover my add-ons that my Jeep had. My Agent at State Farm indicated that we will pressure them to cover my accessories. Does anyone have any insurance experience where it wasn't your fault and things were covered??

FF

Glad you are OK!

is the truck totaled?

frame damage?

As far as insurance, maybe others can tell about what to do after a collision. I have a separate "rider" to my auto policy that covers the mods. Or, at the very least, covers what they allowed. I piled the new gear on this policy until they told me i hit the limit.

Can you save any of the gear you put on? If they total it, would they let you take some of the stuff off? Your tires? rear and one front flare? headlights?

So some of my stuff isn't covered, but about 30k of mods on my truck are covered. I don't know how they would depreciate them after a wreck tho.

FLIPmeOVER
09-23-2014, 12:06 PM

This pic makes me want to cry. I hope they total it. You need a new fresh canvas.

Timmy
09-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Friends,

FF

I have experience. Dealt with two accidents now, and both my father and father-in-law are in the insurance industry. My dad is actually a 35 year State Farm Agent.

So here's the deal, and one that most people don't get and get mad at your insurance company as they don't understand. Separate from the rider as mentioned earlier, the insurance company will pay you what your car is "worth" today, if you bought it today. So, don't get pissed with them when they try to establish what it was worth, instead, help them. The claims adjuster, ALL he cares about is having enough documentation to come to an agreeable figure and cut you a check. He doesn't care about you, he doesn't care about State Farm, all he cares is that he has documentation to cover his ass, so help provide him that documentation.

What you need to do is start grabbing all your invoices of add-ons. Then, research up on what the resale value is of your vehicle today, find the high, medium and low. KNOW THESE PRICES... Get them from all sorts of places, autotrader, local dealership etc. Claims adjuster will probably be dead on with this figure, but if you don't know prior, you can't disagree if you feel he is low. LET THEM give you their pay-out price first. If you like it, run with it, if not, just say "I think I have some documentation that will show you it is actually valued more at today's pricing" and offer up the documentation.

By being nice, and showing documentation of the EXACT SAME TRUCK on-line as what my wife had just totaled, I walked away with $6k MORE than what I paid for our truck. I actually made money with State Farm on the accident. I had an accident in a brand new VW Passat (months old.) I called up my dealership and said "hey, I'm sending State Farm your way to establish pricing... You give them a real high price of what that thing is worth only being months old, and I bet I'll be buying another one from you." Dealership faxed over an official document saying the vehicle would have only depreciated $0.18 per mile from new. Claims adjust took my mileage and multiplied by this (because... he had documentation from a legit dealership) and then said "Okay, they say MSRP was $$$, minus the $0.18 deprec, so how about $$$$.$$?) Answer YES - because they offered me more than what I bought it for, and dealership got another sale.

Oh, one other thing, they will want to evaluate cost to total vs cost to repair. Make sure you bring donuts to the repair shop that does the estimate ;-) Tell them you'll do future business with them if they make sure on their estimate they don't miss a single nut, bolt, screw, washer, special paint, special grease, whatever. You want the garage estimate to be as high as humanly possible. And then ask them to push it just a hair more (that's where the donuts come in.) If the accident came in to the engine block, then you have a chance. If you're new fangled bumper stopped it from hitting the engine, then there is probably no way in hell they will total it. Make sure garage evaluates if the engine needs to be replaced VERY CLOSELY. If they are in question, tell them to go hard towards replacement, tell them you don't want to have worry down the line.

JeepLab
09-23-2014, 05:47 PM
I have experience. Dealt with two accidents now, and both my father and father-in-law are in the insurance industry. My dad is actually a 35 year State Farm Agent.

So here's the deal, and one that most people don't get and get mad at your insurance company as they don't understand. Separate from the rider as mentioned earlier, the insurance company will pay you what your car is "worth" today, if you bought it today. So, don't get pissed with them when they try to establish what it was worth, instead, help them. The claims adjuster, ALL he cares about is having enough documentation to come to an agreeable figure and cut you a check. He doesn't care about you, he doesn't care about State Farm, all he cares is that he has documentation to cover his ass, so help provide him that documentation.

What you need to do is start grabbing all your invoices of add-ons. Then, research up on what the resale value is of your vehicle today, find the high, medium and low. KNOW THESE PRICES... Get them from all sorts of places, autotrader, local dealership etc. Claims adjuster will probably be dead on with this figure, but if you don't know prior, you can't disagree if you feel he is low. LET THEM give you their pay-out price first. If you like it, run with it, if not, just say "I think I have some documentation that will show you it is actually valued more at today's pricing" and offer up the documentation.

By being nice, and showing documentation of the EXACT SAME TRUCK on-line as what my wife had just totaled, I walked away with $6k MORE than what I paid for our truck. I actually made money with State Farm on the accident. I had an accident in a brand new VW Passat (months old.) I called up my dealership and said "hey, I'm sending State Farm your way to establish pricing... You give them a real high price of what that thing is worth only being months old, and I bet I'll be buying another one from you." Dealership faxed over an official document saying the vehicle would have only depreciated $0.18 per mile from new. Claims adjust took my mileage and multiplied by this (because... he had documentation from a legit dealership) and then said "Okay, they say MSRP was $$$, minus the $0.18 deprec, so how about $$$$.$$?) Answer YES - because they offered me more than what I bought it for, and dealership got another sale.

Oh, one other thing, they will want to evaluate cost to total vs cost to repair. Make sure you bring donuts to the repair shop that does the estimate ;-) Tell them you'll do future business with them if they make sure on their estimate they don't miss a single nut, bolt, screw, washer, special paint, special grease, whatever. You want the garage estimate to be as high as humanly possible. And then ask them to push it just a hair more (that's where the donuts come in.) If the accident came in to the engine block, then you have a chance. If you're new fangled bumper stopped it from hitting the engine, then there is probably no way in hell they will total it. Make sure garage evaluates if the engine needs to be replaced VERY CLOSELY. If they are in question, tell them to go hard towards replacement, tell them you don't want to have worry down the line.

Excellent post!

ferrarifast
09-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Excellent post!

Timmy,

Thank you! Your experience and advice is appreciated and well received. I have started the process of gathering my receipts (I am glad I have saved them all). I just got off the phone with the Jeep Dealer and they are going to provide me with today's cost of an identically equipped Rubi to add to my binder of documentation.

I went to the collision center today and spoke to their estimator. He said the drivers side frame rail is complete toast, but that they could get me a brand new frame and pull my intact parts off old frame, along with replacement parts in 30-40 hours. I indicated to him, that I would like to see the jeep totaled and start anew. Your advice is exactly what he said I needed to do (minus the part about dealer pricing), so looks like tonight will be spent gathering invoices, trying to remember all mods seen and unseen and go into this with knowledge.
As far and one question posted on JL about removing parts, I was told the insurance company will not allow one to "Cherry Pick" undamaged parts, accessories, etc. I don't know if all insurance companies work this way. Perhaps someone can comment on this topic.

Thanks again,

FF

Timmy
09-23-2014, 06:43 PM
I was told the insurance company will not allow one to "Cherry Pick" undamaged parts, accessories, etc. I don't know if all insurance companies work this way. Perhaps someone can comment on this topic.

FF

Nope, they won't let you cherry pick anything, in fact, it might even be illegal to attempt this in some states. That being said, I went back to my collision shop and pulled off the rear gas strut that lets the tail gate lower slowly, and some extend-a-bed's I purchased for the rear bed. Shop owner came out, asked me what I was doing. I just said "oh, the claims adjust didn't include these in the pay-out because they were only about $50. It'll save me having to locate them again on eBay" and he was cool with it, didn't say a thing to anyone.

JeepLab
09-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Nope, they won't let you cherry pick anything, in fact, it might even be illegal to attempt this in some states. That being said, I went back to my collision shop and pulled off the rear gas strut that lets the tail gate lower slowly, and some extend-a-bed's I purchased for the rear bed. Shop owner came out, asked me what I was doing. I just said "oh, the claims adjust didn't include these in the pay-out because they were only about $50. It'll save me having to locate them again on eBay" and he was cool with it, didn't say a thing to anyone.

TIMMY!

I promoted your post to an article, I dont want it buried in a sea of other jeep info. PM me your address, Im going to send you a gift.

Timmy
09-23-2014, 07:09 PM
He ferrarifast, what type and size tires were those? I like them. Are they 35x13.5x20's?

ferrarifast
09-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Timmy, they are Nitto Trail Grappers 35x 12.50x 20 with a 1.5" teraflex spacer... My next Jeep will run 37's with the Maggie and 4.88 moving it down the road..

FF

Timmy
09-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Timmy, they are Nitto Trail Grappers 35x 12.50x 20 with a 1.5" teraflex spacer... My next Jeep will run 37's with the Maggie and 4.88 moving it down the road..

FF

Man, they look wider than 12.5", they look nice. I'm running similar. I also want to step up to 37", but I want to go to 13.5" wide. Well, hopefully you come out well on this entire accident and can actually put that money into upgrades.

Oh yeah, in all the "insurance" talk, we forgot to ask. You okay? Any neck issues, junk like that? Both airbags go off? Did you hear them (most don't)? Any other passengers in the vehicle (sorry, you might have mentioned this elsewhere, I'm feeling lazy and don't want to look.)

ferrarifast
09-24-2014, 12:15 AM
Man, they look wider than 12.5", they look nice. I'm running similar. I also want to step up to 37", but I want to go to 13.5" wide. Well, hopefully you come out well on this entire accident and can actually put that money into upgrades.

Oh yeah, in all the "insurance" talk, we forgot to ask. You okay? Any neck issues, junk like that? Both airbags go off? Did you hear them (most don't)? Any other passengers in the vehicle (sorry, you might have mentioned this elsewhere, I'm feeling lazy and don't want to look.)

Timmy,

I was in the Jeep by myself. I am sore from my neck down to my waist, with most of my discomfort directly in my sternum area. Both airbags went off and I was wearing my belt.. Everything happened so fast and the impact was so loud I heard nothing other than that. The Jeep ended up 270 degrees from the direction I was turning at the intersection.. As far as the width of my rims, I was running XD 20 x 9's, which after my last moab trip two weeks ago they suffered some minor rash. I am thinking of going with some 35 x 14 x 20 PITBULL tires on my next jeep, but currently know little about them..

FF

Timmy
09-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Timmy,

I was in the Jeep by myself. I am sore from my neck down to my waist, with most of my discomfort directly in my sternum area. Both airbags went off and I was wearing my belt.. Everything happened so fast and the impact was so loud I heard nothing other than that. The Jeep ended up 270 degrees from the direction I was turning at the intersection.. As far as the width of my rims, I was running XD 20 x 9's, which after my last moab trip two weeks ago they suffered some minor rash. I am thinking of going with some 35 x 14 x 20 PITBULL tires on my next jeep, but currently know little about them..

FF

Dang dude, glad you are okay. I had pains across my shoulder and chest for weeks from hitting the seatbelt. My accident was a 40mph head-on to someone that drifted directly in to my lane. I will never forget saying to myself, seconds before the accident "this is going to hurt." Like you, with the noise of the accident, and the rush of everything happening, I don't remember a thing about the airbags. By the time my brain started to comprehend what had happened, I noticed the cabin was filled with a gas or something which makes you start to think "fire" pretty quick, but I figured out quickly it was just the airbag gases and I was able to roll down my window to let it out.

Yeah, you rock those 35x14's. That would be awesome to see!!! Everyone is always like "wider tires drift more, Jeep won't drive on highway well" etc. etc. I say, whateve' These Jeeps weren't meant for no flippin highway, they were meant for playin' in the dirt and for scarin the crude out of little kids when you roll by (grin.) I was just thinking today, my Mickey T's Baja tires are so quiet and smooth on the road, I don't think I like them any more. I think I want a more aggressive tire that rumbles the cab a bit more, growls on the road a bit more and says "I'm a JEEP! MOVE OVER!" Of course I can say this because I already have my long distance cruiser of a sedan so I don't have to deal with those days when I just don't want to rumble down the road.

Keep us posted on your insurance stuff, very curious how you come out. And let's all pray together that the engine was encroached on for poor little FF's Jeep so that they total this sucker out.

2me
09-24-2014, 07:46 PM
FF!

Please do yourself a favor.
Please go see your doctor immediately.
In my state you have to go to the dr within a certain number of days for legal purposes.
I was T-Boned in December 2013, I was sore immediately, eventually MRI's showed herniations in cervical 2-3,3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 6-7 & thorasic 1.
I had 4 level fusion of c3-4 through T-1. Very expensive operation.
Lumbar is herniated in a bunch of places as well.
I am still recovering & ten months later & still not back at work yet.
Even though initially I knew I was hurt, I had no idea of how bad or how much it was going to affect the rest of my life.
Please protect you & your family & get checked by your dr. Immediately.

I strongly urge every one to get disability insurance for as much as you are allowed to get.
It has kept us from going bankrupt.
Even though the other person is 100% at fault for the accident, I am still have to pay co payments, household bills, dr bills, the list is seemingly endless.
All the best!

bo9roadking
10-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Yes, I agree. Lift to shift would annoy me... Does anyone have any experience with a Magnuson and auto tranny?

Magnuson is still working with Diablo to get the auto transmission to shift correctly. I've had my Magnuson on my 2012 JKU for about 3 weeks. The surging is fixed, but the transmission still requires lifting on the throttle or manually up-shifting unless you want the rpms to wind up higher for it to shift on its own. It winds out higher than it did prior to the SC install. The shifts are usually between 3k-4.5K rpms when it shifts on its own if you have moderate throttle applied. Mild throttle shifts as it did prior to the SC install except the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. That shift might still require lifting off the throttle even at mild throttle. The shifts are tolerable, but could be smoother.

The only real issue for me is driving on the highway. At highway speeds, the transmission doesn't like staying in overdrive unless the jeep stays on level ground. I'm at about 900 feet above sea level. Any incline that requires mild throttle input to maintain speed will cause the SC to gain boost. I think the boost makes the transmission think that I hit the gas to pass someone, so it downshifts one or two gears depending on how much throttle I've added. If I hold the throttle instead of adding throttle to keep the transmission from downshifting, I'll lose about 5 mph to get over the incline, but the transmission stays in overdrive. Needless to say, I'm not using cruise control or my transmission would rarely get into overdrive.

One caveat is that my jeep is heavy, so I need more throttle to get it moving and keep it moving. The weight might be the issue because I don't think Magnuson and Diablo are using test jeeps with 40" tires, D60 and D80 axles, with steel bumpers and skid plates.

switz
10-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Greetings folks. Great read for sure. I got a 2015 Rubicon a few months ago and love everything about it except the dog that is under the hood. It is an automatic so I am very concerned regarding the surging and shifting issues folks are reporting. And, since I live in California, it has to be CARB approved for smog. Thanks again for the fantastic information. steve

Rexx19
10-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Greetings folks. Great read for sure. I got a 2015 Rubicon a few months ago and love everything about it except the dog that is under the hood. It is an automatic so I am very concerned regarding the surging and shifting issues folks are reporting. And, since I live in California, it has to be CARB approved for smog. Thanks again for the fantastic information. steve

WELCOME STEVE!

I dont know if any of them are carb approved for the pentastar. JL im sure will chime in and say.

I will say that im in the same position as you. Reviews for RIPP say that SOMETIMES you will have to "lift to shift" with the auto. Which i believe defeats the purpose of the SC. The turbo says you dont need to do that, but they have had their own issues with power under 3k rpm. Mag is the 3rd horse in the race that has had difficulty with the surging issue, that even the Manual trans is not immune to.

Whats your gear ratio? Drive style? Wheel it? just for show?

If you havent started modding yet, I'll tell you, my plan so far is to keep the jeep as light as possible. And geared correctly for power.

Seems to me there are drawbacks to everything. If you can come to grips with that in advance of purchase, you will enjoy your mods more.

2k13jk
10-17-2014, 06:40 AM
If your looking for boost id look at ripp superchargers i love mine 100 % and to me i feel its the most complete kit and best bang for your buck

Yoinkers
10-17-2014, 10:43 AM
If your looking for boost id look at ripp superchargers i love mine 100 % and to me i feel its the most complete kit and best bang for your buck

RIPP's tune is definitely the most evolved out of all of them. It takes time, and the others will catch up. RIPP is leading the way right now.

UselessPickles
10-17-2014, 01:23 PM
And, since I live in California, it has to be CARB approved for smog.

Prodigy has told me that they have no current plans to pursue CARB approval.

I think I've seen mentions of both RIPP and Magnuson planning to get CARB approval for their 2012+ kits. I suggest calling all the manufacturers you are interested in and asking them directly, and be sure to mention that you plan on purchasing forced induction, but must have CARB approval because you are in Cali. They need to be reminded that there is a demand for CARB approval :)

switz
10-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Prodigy has told me that they have no current plans to pursue CARB approval.

I think I've seen mentions of both RIPP and Magnuson planning to get CARB approval for their 2012+ kits. I suggest calling all the manufacturers you are interested in and asking them directly, and be sure to mention that you plan on purchasing forced induction, but must have CARB approval because you are in Cali. They need to be reminded that there is a demand for CARB approval :)

Thanks for the info....I have my wife on board (wasn't that hard) so all I need is CARB and an assurance from RIPP that the automatic issues are solved...Then, one happy boy!

Icheer4beer
10-18-2014, 08:18 AM
I am currently finishing up a Sprintex install. I will let everyone know how it goes. The only big problem we are having is the Diablo Turner wouldn't interface so they are sending us a new one.

Pznivy
10-18-2014, 05:30 PM
I am currently finishing up a Sprintex install. I will let everyone know how it goes. The only big problem we are having is the Diablo Turner wouldn't interface so they are sending us a new one.

WHOA WELCOME SPRINTEX PIONEER!

Is there a united states dyno coming? Opening your own thread? Their austrailian dyno bugs me. Put it on dyno dynamics and lets get some USA numbers!

Icheer4beer
10-19-2014, 08:25 AM
I actually wanted to get you guys a little more involved with this. There isn't much info out there. I got a great price so I took a leap of faith. I am traveling for the next couple of weeks and once I get back I can start a thread and maybe find a dyno in the area. I don't think you guys are too far from the DC area though and might have one you have already used, so the numbers would be comparable.

JeepLab
10-19-2014, 12:48 PM
I actually wanted to get you guys a little more involved with this. There isn't much info out there. I got a great price so I took a leap of faith. I am traveling for the next couple of weeks and once I get back I can start a thread and maybe find a dyno in the area. I don't think you guys are too far from the DC area though and might have one you have already used, so the numbers would be comparable.

Bring it to NJ!

We'll photo document the hell out of it, put it on our dyno,.....And im gonna steal your keys!

Icheer4beer
10-19-2014, 08:18 PM
I should be able to pick it up on Tuesday if my tune is correct. I have had some challenges on that. I have some availability in the middle of the month. Shoot me an email and we can see what we can set up.

Yoinkers
10-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Is there pictures of the sprintex system install coming? Are you going to open a Sprintex thread?

Icheer4beer
10-24-2014, 09:03 AM
I am visiting my parents in Costa Rica. I am going to open a thread and post pics when I get back next week.

switz
10-24-2014, 10:34 PM
WELCOME STEVE!

I dont know if any of them are carb approved for the pentastar. JL im sure will chime in and say.

I will say that im in the same position as you. Reviews for RIPP say that SOMETIMES you will have to "lift to shift" with the auto. Which i believe defeats the purpose of the SC. The turbo says you dont need to do that, but they have had their own issues with power under 3k rpm. Mag is the 3rd horse in the race that has had difficulty with the surging issue, that even the Manual trans is not immune to.

Whats your gear ratio? Drive style? Wheel it? just for show?

If you havent started modding yet, I'll tell you, my plan so far is to keep the jeep as light as possible. And geared correctly for power.

Seems to me there are drawbacks to everything. If you can come to grips with that in advance of purchase, you will enjoy your mods more.

Hey, thanks for the welcome. I have 4.10's and 32" tires. So far, stock. I put a cat-back exhaust on, a throttle body spacer and a CAI. So far, I thing it was a waste of money as I haven't noticed much in fuel economy or HP increase. I hope someone comes up with a super Charger for the automatic with a CARB approval....

JeepLab
10-25-2014, 03:54 PM
I dont think any pentastar power mod is carb approved. But RIPP is pending currently

switz
10-25-2014, 10:25 PM
I dont think any pentastar power mod is carb approved. But RIPP is pending currently

Do you think, with all that you know, the automatic tranny issues will be sorted out? Thanks!

Rexx19
10-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Do you think, with all that you know, the automatic tranny issues will be sorted out? Thanks!

can you go to another state and get the unit installed, then go back to CA?

switz
10-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately, no. Here is wonderful California, we have to get smog inspections prior to renewing the registration. With a new vehicle, I believe they give you several years but eventually, everyone has to do it. If you fail, no registration and your vehicle can be towed and impounded.

FLIPmeOVER
10-28-2014, 07:09 PM

I would make sure whoever you end up buying from, they SWEAR that you will not have a shifting issue. If you do...refund.

2k13jk
11-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Has anyone here with the ripp experience a squeeky belt after a couple of thousand miles ? I put 4000 on my ripp 3.6 and it sounds like my belt is squeeling away now any body have an issue ?

JeepLab
11-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Has anyone here with the ripp experience a squeeky belt after a couple of thousand miles ? I put 4000 on my ripp 3.6 and it sounds like my belt is squeeling away now any body have an issue ?

Mine makes that noise. If you beat on it, (im told) you can stretch the belt.

IDK where i even heard that or the resume of whoever said it to me.

Regardless, My belt is getting switched.

I have a new belt for the smaller pulley high alt option, but i have no idea how to change the pulley on the unit. I got it apart and was stuck.

2k13jk
11-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Im going to replace the belt tomorrow hopefully it fixes it

JeepLab
11-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Im going to replace the belt tomorrow hopefully it fixes it

here's an idea

post the size, item number and brand belt you use. I'll get a different brand, and we can compare notes.

2k13jk
11-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Will do this weekend autozone has a belt 3 year warranty with it might as well take advantage of it

Rexx19
11-26-2014, 06:17 PM
forgive me for hi-jacking, are there different brands of belts?

Gunner
11-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Auto with no shifting problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vta7sggaGbg

Gunner
11-29-2014, 12:50 AM
All these guys seem to be doing ok also.
http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/ripp-supercharger-transmission-cooler-305313/

bo9roadking
12-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Auto with no shifting problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vta7sggaGbg

All these guys seem to be doing ok also.
http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/ripp-supercharger-transmission-cooler-305313/
Not sure how you can determine that there are no auto shifting problems from this information. The video demonstrates wide open throttle shifts for 0-60. The transmission doesn't even shift through all of the gears in the video. From my perspective owning a supercharged jeep, I don't drive wide open throttle when I'm driving my jeep. My Magnuson will do what is in that video. My shift issues are daily driving, not racing my jeep.

Your second post is about transmission coolers, it doesn't mention anything about shifting. I know I don't own a RIPP, but I've read about RIPP owners complaining about shift issues. I'm sure if RIPP had this fixed, they would be screaming from the roof tops on how they have it resolved, in an effort to sell more of their superchargers over their competitors.

Pznivy
12-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Not sure how you can determine that there are no auto shifting problems from this information. The video demonstrates wide open throttle shifts for 0-60. The transmission doesn't even shift through all of the gears in the video. From my perspective owning a supercharged jeep, I don't drive wide open throttle when I'm driving my jeep. My Magnuson will do what is in that video. My shift issues are daily driving, not racing my jeep.

Your second post is about transmission coolers, it doesn't mention anything about shifting. I know I don't own a RIPP, but I've read about RIPP owners complaining about shift issues. I'm sure if RIPP had this fixed, they would be screaming from the roof tops on how they have it resolved, in an effort to sell more of their superchargers over their competitors.

X2. this auto shift issue is a big problem. Once someone fixes it, they should offer a guarantee. That will sell a LOT of power mods.

Gunner
12-04-2014, 08:42 PM
I thought that the Ripp complaints were about full throttle shifting and having to lift to shift. He obviously didn't have to do that as he did hit third. I guess that in the second one my thought was that they are towing and only have complaints about trans fluid temps not shift qualitys. I would think that they would mention a degradation or shifting problem as a possible suspect of the higher heats. Just something to add to the mix of info.

Gunner
12-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Just reread your post on your trans problem.. I could not live with that overdrive problem either. Still nothing from them I guess otherwise you would have posted it. Sorry your having so much grief with your system.

bo9roadking
12-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Just reread your post on your trans problem.. I could not live with that overdrive problem either. Still nothing from them I guess otherwise you would have posted it. Sorry your having so much grief with your system.
Thanks. It is frustrating for sure. I got a new tune last week or the week prior from Magnuson. The days are running together, so I don't remember which week it was.

The engine seems to be smoothed out more than the previous tune, but the transmission overdrive problem still exists. I think the transmission is learning my driving habits with the supercharger and has calmed down slightly with normal shifts, but it still likes to hold the gears up into the 4-4.5k range if I'm a little heavy on the throttle.

I don't know if it will help, but I've contacted a tuner in the local area. He is looking at my factory tune and the Magnuson tune that I have. I may be able to get on the dyno and get a custom tune later next week depending on his schedule. It is going to cost me $450, but I'm willing to take the chance. Even if my transmission shifts don't change after the custom tune, at least the tune will be for my heavy ass jeep running 40" tires, steel skid plates/bumpers, and heavy aftermarket full width axles. I might get lucky and get a little extra power/torque out of it and it might be enough to cause the transmission to stay in overdrive. I'll also know how much power my jeep produces with the supercharger on it instead of estimating based upon what others have seen.

2k13jk
12-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Ive had a custom tune done on my jk with the ripp kit. A company can only make tunes based on whats on the dyno. When my tuner tuned my jk ripps tune made 250 whp after 5 dyno pulls i put down 344 while getting air fuels and timing dialed into my trucks accesories like 35s stock gears 6 speed elevation

JeepLab
12-08-2014, 11:20 PM
**** MODERATED ****

Hey everyone, if you've been following the forum, you'd know member FerrariFast totalled his rig earlier this year. He posted his new rig here. The build is extensive, and would have completely derailed the supercharger shootout thread so I moved it to its own thread.

http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?216-Return-of-FerrariFast!-Build-Thread

carry on.

Gunner
12-10-2014, 11:54 AM
I called Ripp yesterday and they are still in testing with California for an EO# but they are going ahead with it. I do believe I am going to do some sort of power adder. But I live here in CA and it has to pass first before I plunk down the bucks. this whole tune thing with our autos just has me wondering if a engine swap is a better way to fly. Yeah much much more expensive. 23k but you end up with 335 hp and torque with a 6 speed auto. Heck I like my little V6 I just hate the trans ecu.

FLIPmeOVER
12-10-2014, 09:58 PM
I called Ripp yesterday and they are still in testing with California for an EO# but they are going ahead with it. I do believe I am going to do some sort of power adder. But I live here in CA and it has to pass first before I plunk down the bucks. this whole tune thing with our autos just has me wondering if a engine swap is a better way to fly. Yeah much much more expensive. 23k but you end up with 335 hp and torque with a 6 speed auto. Heck I like my little V6 I just hate the trans ecu.

Gunner's next jeep is a STICK. LOL

Did ripp say anything about the shift thing?

Gunner
12-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Nope just that it was being adjusted as ca asked for some changes. It's gonna be a next year thing. If I thought it would work I would put a stick in it and be done. Then I could do my atlas 4 also. But no it won't work with the auto either.

2k13jk
12-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Has anybody seen or felt there truck running more boost in this weather? My boost gauge hit 9 psi today and usually only hits 8. I know that when the air is colder is more dense but i dont want to risk engine damage with 9 psi

JeepLab
12-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Has anybody seen or felt there truck running more boost in this weather? My boost gauge hit 9 psi today and usually only hits 8. I know that when the air is colder is more dense but i dont want to risk engine damage with 9 psi

Pretty sure you are fine.

Every engine loves cold air. People run the pentastar up to 12 psi.

KaiserBill
02-13-2015, 01:03 PM
The Magnuson unit is actually called a Hybrid Roots lobe or Twin Vortices Series design. It is a combination between the traditional Roots system (designed in the 1860's) and the more modern Lysholm Helical Screw System (designed in the late 19th early 20th centuries)-- both are positive displacement designs and the real difference is that Roots units actually doesn't increase the pressure inside the unit. That has to be done with in the cylinder head. Where as a twin rotary screw unit does compress the air within it. Also the Twin Rotary Screw systems show less parasitic drag because they are more efficient and usually require less power to operate when compared to a roots unit.

The Ripp is a simple Centrifugal System-- basically they became popular in the 1930's when supercharging aircraft engines. They basically are just turbo-superchargers that replace the rear impeller with a drive shaft and gearing unit that directly drives from the engine. These are probably the best unit to use for two reasons: One they require little horsepower to really operate because of their small size and high speed operation. They are also are the most flexible-- you can get them with a hi-low range or even a combination of hi-low and 2-stage units if you are so inclined to do so. Those are features that you cannot get on roots or twin screw unit.

However, if you're going to spend the money-- I say use sequential turbo-superchargers... With a properly mated system you can eliminate turbo lag and produce massive horsepower with very little back pressure on the engine. It is about as free as one can get.

But no matter the system-- water methanol injection would really improve the performance overall with any fuel source.

2k13jk
02-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Has anyone tried setting up a 2 step on ripps kit or is it even possible id like to do it to my 2013 jk ripp super charged

KaiserBill
02-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Has anyone tried setting up a 2 step on ripps kit or is it even possible id like to do it to my 2013 jk ripp super charged

Do you mean two stage? You would need two Ripp units to do it. Or you would have to have a custom unit designed for you that has a second stage compressor built into it.

2k13jk
02-13-2015, 07:35 PM
A 2 step in it as like launch control you would set the rpms at like 4500 for launching in 1st gear

KaiserBill
02-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Well, I see what you mean... Personally, I would go with a Supercharger with a clutch then after 4500rpm use a turbo-supercharger to make up the rest of the boost. this way you get immediate response with the supercharger then the turbo-supercharger picks up the power when the exhaust gases are at peak pressures and volumes.

UselessPickles
02-13-2015, 08:39 PM
A twincharger system (supercharger + turbo) sounds awesome in theory, but good luck implementing it well and getting all the transitions to happen smoothly for a good daily driver without more than doubling the cost of the vehicle. That kind of stuff requires good electronic control over the clutch, bypass valve, and wastegate, integrated with the rest of the engine control systems. No one makes such a kit, so it would be a totally custom system.

A sequential twin turbo setup is more realistic than twincharging, but even that would be very expensive as a one-off custom system and may suffer from some daily driving compromises with purely vacuum/spring controlled valves, etc.

It doesn't seem worthwhile to discuss theoretically optimal setups that are vastly different than what is available on the market, unless you have the money/skills necessary and plan on building and tuning a custom system.

KaiserBill
02-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Not really... Useless Pickles-- the Detroit Diesel two-strokers were all supercharged for low rpm idle to 650-800 up to about 1200-1300rpm and turbocharged after 1300rpm for normal use. You cannot make a two-stroke diesel and not use a supercharger for scavenging. The system has been around for decades. You're correct it does add complexity-- but you don't need electronic controls to do it. A simple clutch either mechanical or electromechanical can be used to disengage the supercharger. The bypass valve is basically just a very large waste gate and that be operated via the clutch. And waste gate itself doesn't really have anything to do with it. You operate it with or without one. The Detroits used run about 18psi of manifold pressure and they had no waste gates on them. The used to run on the big series engines like the 16V71's two supers and four turbos. So you could get 800hp at 2100rpm and 2000ft-lbs of torque-- where the maximum would be at 1600rpm and be like 2150ft-lbs. Two Stroke Diesels are incredibly flat with their torque curves.

Sequential is good. In fact International offers Sequential turbo charging on their DT series engines as does Detroit on the smaller models but their bigger models use a Compound System.

None of it is theoretical is all practical and has been done for decades. A lot of the pioneering work for turbocharging actually started during the end of WWI.

UselessPickles
02-13-2015, 10:16 PM
It's all theoretical for application on the Jeep Wrangler. Getting a one-off complex system like that custom built and tuned as an add-on is impractical.

KaiserBill
02-15-2015, 06:39 AM
It's all theoretical for application on the Jeep Wrangler. Getting a one-off complex system like that custom built and tuned as an add-on is impractical.

Well, if you stick with stuff from kits and boxes then you will never really know the joy of blazing a new trail. But if you want a bolt on kit to increase your turbo's power, fuel economy, and overall performance from pump gas-- Snow Products Methanol-Water Injection system. It will set you back about $1K plus tax and shipping-- but it will give you about 80Hp and 50-80Ft-lbs of torque in the max settings in addition to your turbo ratings--plus in the eco-setting an increase in fuel economy of about .15-.25mpg.

So if your kit gives you 120Hp and 100Ft-lbs of torque extra adding MW-50 to the system can put you up to 200hp extra 150-180ft-lbs of torque depending on application.

I call it WEP-- as in Wartime Emergency Power-- I'm putting on a CAT 3116 engine I'm installing in my baby. Cruise power with MW-50 will go up from about 170hp to 210hp and max power right about 300hp at 2700rpm. Torque will be about 620ft-lbs max at 1550rpm and cruise torque right about 320ft-lbs at 2400rpm with the Methanol injection operating.

UselessPickles
02-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Being an early adopter of a new turbo kit is enough trail blazing for me. Water/meth injection added onto a Pentastar turbo/supercharger kit might not be that simple. I think we're at the point where another major jump in power will require supporting internal engine upgrades to be reliable. I'll sit back and let Prodigy risk blowing up an engine or two as they develop their stage 3 kit :)

You're putting that CAT engine in your Wrangler? Create a new thread for that! :) That could get interesting. That thing is HEAVY!

Dry weight: ~1500 lbs
+7.4 GALLONS of water for the cooling system (~62 lbs)
+6.6 GALLONS of oil (~48 lbs)
Wet weight: ~1610 lbs!!!!

For comparison, the Pentastar...
Dry weight: ~325 lbs (based on finding the 3.8 weighs 413 lbs, and Pentastar is claimed to be about 90 lbs lighter)
+10.5 quarts of water for the cooling system (~22 lbs)
+6 quarts of oil (~11 lbs)
Wet weight: ~358 lbs

That CAT engine weighs 1250 lbs more than the Pentastar! That's going to require some heavy duty front suspension upgrades to support that weight, and will make the vehicle very front-heavy. That could be dangerous. And your predicted crank HP with water/meth injection added is not much more than what the stock Pentastar already puts out. All that low RPM torque will allow you to crawl over anything without touching the gas pedal, but daily driving performance on the street will be worse than the stock engine.

UselessPickles
02-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Cruise power with MW-50 will go up from about 170hp to 210hp and max power right about 300hp at 2700rpm. Torque will be about 620ft-lbs max at 1550rpm and cruise torque right about 320ft-lbs at 2400rpm with the Methanol injection operating.

All that "low rpm" torque doesn't really mean that much when the engine only revs up to 2800 rpm. If you gear it to give it similar road speed range in each transmission gear as a stock Wrangler with a Pentastar, then it would be equivalent to having a peak torque of 267 ft-lbs at 3600 rpm, and only 137 ft-lbs torque at 5600 rpm. The stock Pentastar already has 250+ ft-lbs torque from about 2000 rpm all the way through 5400 rpm. But you probably wouldn't gear the vehicle that tall (probably not physically possible... would require something like 1.60:1 axle ratio), so you'd end up with VERY short gears, with tons of torque at very low speeds. The first few transmission gears would probably be useless for street driving in 2HI, and 4LO would be useless except for the slowest of slow rock crawling.

These low-revving, huge low-rpm torque diesel engines are designed continuous high-load work in construction equipment, or getting very heavy loads moving from a stop (loaded up semi trucks, etc).

Just want to make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into.

UselessPickles
02-16-2015, 12:14 PM
max power right about 300hp at 2700rpm... and cruise torque right about 320ft-lbs at 2400rpm with the Methanol injection operating.

These numbers make no sense. To have 300 hp at 2700 rpm, that would require 583 ft-lbs at 2700 rpm, but you say that at 2400 rpm, the torque has already dropped to 320 ft-lbs. Time to revisit your numbers/assumptions :)

KaiserBill
02-16-2015, 07:54 PM
CAT's output numbers are what I based my figures on. What it really produces I won't know until I dyno the engine.

boosted1
09-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Is this a "Shootout" thread? seems off topic

Rexx19
09-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Is this a "Shootout" thread? seems off topic

sounds like a turbo guy is salty about a SC thread. lol

boosted1
09-21-2015, 04:15 PM
sounds like a turbo guy is salty about a SC thread. lol

Orr..... The thread discussing installing a CAT engine in your Jeep is actually off topic.

UselessPickles
09-21-2015, 04:55 PM
This thread needs a do-over. We need a very rich person to donate several identically equipped Wranglers and one of each of the forced induction kits so that a full and fair comparison can be done on everything from the install difficulty to performance :)

JeepLab
09-21-2015, 08:11 PM
This thread needs a do-over. We need a very rich person to donate several identically equipped Wranglers and one of each of the forced induction kits so that a full and fair comparison can be done on everything from the install difficulty to performance :)

Its hard to keep everything equal when testing power mods. Realize, we got each about a year apart. All the jeeps are 4.10 geared manual trans rubicons. The turbo was a 2door, the two SCs, on 4drs.

BB had a lift and duratracs when the SC came on. Sweet Pea was bone stock. They were tested as evenly as we could have done it.

doc5339
09-25-2015, 06:31 AM
this thread needs a do-over. We need a very rich person to donate several identically equipped wranglers and one of each of the forced induction kits so that a full and fair comparison can be done on everything from the install difficulty to performance :)

absolutely

doc5339
09-26-2015, 03:47 PM
Looks like the Magnuson might not have as big of an advantage over the RIPP at low rpms as people seem to assume based on the centrifugal vs roots-type generalizations. Although, it's impossible to know what the story is below 2000 rpm with certainty based on this chart. But as I've already shown thanks to the magic of math, 2000 rpm looks to be a low enough rpm to be useful for general off-roading: http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?33-OMG-Prodigy-TURBO!&p=802&viewfull=1#post802

True, I am surprised that the RIPP pulls that well at the bottom, however, the Magnuson seems to have more power where i generally use it between 2,000 and 4,500 RPM. I drive a manual, and generally do not spin the motor up to redline when shifting. Daily Driver purposes, the Magnuson appears to be the winner; on paper anyways.

doc5339
10-18-2015, 09:15 AM
Just curious as to whether Sweet Pea and Black Beauty have had MPG recorded regularly since their respective supercharger installations? I use Fuelly myself, and am really curious to figure out not only which is better $ per torque/hp, but also which has better overall fuel economy.

I would guess that RIPP would win the MPG battle. Has anyone been keeping decent hand-calculated MPG records?

UselessPickles
10-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Not gonna happen. Different Jeeps with different tires/gears driven by different people, etc. Any MPG comparison would be completely meaningless. You would need someone to run two otherwise identical Jeeps with the two different superchargers through a controlled test (like EPA fuel economy test procedure) to get a valid comparison.

Look at the hundreds of discussions of MPG on Jeep forums for an example of how meaningless it is to compare actual real world MPG of two different people. I've seen people report anywhere from 14 to 21 MPG average with stock Jeeps.

doc5339
10-18-2015, 11:10 AM
I thought that Black Betty and Sweet Pea are pretty similar: both Manual Transmissions, 4.10 rears, probably both have relatively big tires and equivalent lifts; unless all of this was just temporary for Dyno and 0-60 times during the shootout?

I do not think that recording real-world MPG over time is meaningless. Threads on MPG tend to become meaningless because owners read the "lie-o-meter" and do not hand-calculate and note fuel type, mods, top-off, hard top, type of driving, etc.

I figure this is JeepLab, so cost per HP/Torque is as valid as average cost per mile. Not trying to do some scientific EPA-like study, just what guys are actually averaging over time, which includes WOT accelerations, wheeling, commuting, or whatever else they're doing.

Am I the only guy using Fuelly? I find that it is a very good tool for many things, especially knowing what it costs per mile to drive, which really gives an idea of the true cost of ownership along with maintenance, repair, and modification spreadsheets.

UselessPickles
10-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Still pretty meaningless. All descriptions of type of driving, etc, are all still quite relative/subjective. People drive differently, and the way you drive can have a big impact on MPG. Yes, tracking your own fuel economy can be helpful for budgeting, indications of engine problems, etc. But comparing your MPG to someone else with different mods tells you nothing about how that mod affected MPG. There's no way to know how much personal driving patterns/habits are contributing to differences.

doc5339
10-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Still pretty meaningless. All descriptions of type of driving, etc, are all still quite relative/subjective. People drive differently, and the way you drive can have a big impact on MPG. Yes, tracking your own fuel economy can be helpful for budgeting, indications of engine problems, etc. But comparing your MPG to someone else with different mods tells you nothing about how that mod affected MPG. There's no way to know how much personal driving patterns/habits are contributing to differences.

I get that Pickles, I am just really curious to know how Black Betty and Sweet Pea are doing MPG-wisw, subjective as that may be.

UselessPickles
10-18-2015, 12:59 PM
The best you could aim for is asking people whether they noticed a change in MPG after installing their supercharger. But the problem here is that we're talking about major performance mods that are likely to cause you to change the way you drive. how much are the results impacted by changes in driving habits caused by the availability of more power? And will the same mod cause you to change your driving habits the same way? Probably not.

The point is that there are so many factors involving location, and personal driving habits/patterns that you are not going to get any valid information about which supercharger has better fuel economy by asking people on the Internet unless there are extreme differences. The only way to find out would be to do specific comparison that involved a procedure that removed as many variables as possible. but even then, the results are only valid for that particular procedure. If one supercharger gets 3 MPG better in the comparison, the same supercharger could just as easily get 3MPG worse for your particular driving patterns/habits. And you don't even know what your new driving habits will be with the additional power.

doc5339
10-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Every driver, Dyno, road, fuel, mod, type of driving are all different. Some Jeepers, like me record fill-ups and MPG-pertinent data, and I am hoping this may be the case with Black Betty and Sweet Pea.

I simply want to know what kind of average MPG these two Jeeps have been getting, that's all. If there is no data on them, no worries.

I am not trying to go for an empirical study. The testing that has been done in the shootout is also by no means a study; it is just an idea of how the mods perform on two similar vehicles.

So I am no trying to figure which supercharger is overall better. I am just curious.

mpaone1040
11-01-2015, 09:25 AM
new to this site. I have a 2011 JKU sport, 4.88's 35x12.5x18. RIPP gen 2, with RIPP headers, and AFE hituck. I have the latest RIPP tune(2 weeks ago) generally speaking, I love the RIPP. for me there are not alot of rocks here in CT, but north there are plenty of trails that keep me and my family entertained. I have been thinking about adding the hi altitude pulley and somewhere in this thread(just read all of it) there was a point where JL was going to install the smaller pulley? but then it got sidetracked. I was just wondering if any of the RIPP guys on here have the smaller pulley and if it was worth the upgrade. as a said I really cannot complain about my current set up, i do experience "lift to shift" occasionally, other than that its pretty stable.

JeepLab
11-01-2015, 09:46 PM
new to this site. I have a 2011 JKU sport, 4.88's 35x12.5x18. RIPP gen 2, with RIPP headers, and AFE hituck. I have the latest RIPP tune(2 weeks ago) generally speaking, I love the RIPP. for me there are not alot of rocks here in CT, but north there are plenty of trails that keep me and my family entertained. I have been thinking about adding the hi altitude pulley and somewhere in this thread(just read all of it) there was a point where JL was going to install the smaller pulley? but then it got sidetracked. I was just wondering if any of the RIPP guys on here have the smaller pulley and if it was worth the upgrade. as a said I really cannot complain about my current set up, i do experience "lift to shift" occasionally, other than that its pretty stable.

I did get sidetracked. Here's why -

1. I had the SC apart when Id the clean out, and I couldn't get the standard pulley off.

2. BB is a rocket, I really didnt feel the need for more power. It made 328 hp at the rear wheel.

Another guy in the forum Deola, had the high alt pulley and his review was positive. With the 3.8 i wouldnt hesitate to crank it up. That is a very tough motor.

UselessPickles
11-02-2015, 04:18 PM
1. I had the SC apart when Id the clean out, and I couldn't get the standard pulley off.

Did you ever contact RIPP to get any advice on how to remove the pulley?

2k13jk
11-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Has anyone tried the hi alt. pulley on a 3.6 at sea level conditions?

Bullfighter
11-12-2015, 01:35 AM
Has anyone tried the hi alt. pulley on a 3.6 at sea level conditions?

I've had the smaller pulley on for awhile, pretty much as soon as they came out with it. On the gauge it shows about 3lbs more boost wound out and shows the boost coming on at a much lower rpm. This is a 3.6 manual btw. In the seat of the pants you do feel a difference and worth the few bucks. As for changing the pulley, it's pretty easy. Just use a puller and it takes about a minute.

JeepLab
11-12-2015, 08:13 AM
I've had the smaller pulley on for awhile, pretty much as soon as they came out with it. On the gauge it shows about 3lbs more boost wound out and shows the boost coming on at a much lower rpm. This is a 3.6 manual btw. In the seat of the pants you do feel a difference and worth the few bucks. As for changing the pulley, it's pretty easy. Just use a puller and it takes about a minute.

LOL, not a wrench?

have you got a sound byte of the hi alt? Ill post standard alt next to it.

Bullfighter
11-12-2015, 07:23 PM
LOL, not a wrench?

have you got a sound byte of the hi alt? Ill post standard alt next to it.

No sound bytes, don't have'm. Wrench? I didn't think I would have to go from beginning to end here. Nuts and bolts is all but if you really need the details then an impact wrench is a must. Spin the nut off. Put the puller on and crank it to until the pulley comes off. Carefully tap the pulley down with a piece of wood and use a thread locker when u re-torque the nut. Re-install and possibly reprogram. It's that simple. Now if you want to get really crazy install a catch can too. You won't believe the amount of oil you get going into your intake. The catch can install will probably take longer to do. Good luck

2k13jk
11-13-2015, 07:48 PM
I'd like to change to the smaller pulley but being afraid lifting the head or spinning a bearing or worse blowing a rod. As far as a catch can I have one, if you install one be sure to plumb it into both pcv lines from the left bank and right bank on the engine

UselessPickles
11-13-2015, 11:01 PM
As far as a catch can I have one, if you install one be sure to plumb it into both pcv lines from the left bank and right bank on the engine

I hope you mean to use 2 separate catch cans: one for each hose. Definitely don't want to run both hoses through one shared catch can, or else you'll have a vacuum (and boost) leak and won't be drawing fresh air through the crankcase.

Bullfighter
11-14-2015, 01:24 AM
I'd like to change to the smaller pulley but being afraid lifting the head or spinning a bearing or worse blowing a rod. As far as a catch can I have one, if you install one be sure to plumb it into both pcv lines from the left bank and right bank on the engine

I really don't see the extra 3lbs of boost being too much of a future problem, if it does detonate the motor than an excuse to drop a 5.7 would almost be legit. Damn that's almost not funny. Anyway, the double catch can I think would be excessive and more hoses. I'm not happy now with the cob web around the motor. As for the plumbing in is pretty simple. I believe somewhere in these forums is what I used as a diagram. I should probably post a pick because I didn't put mine where most put their can. Mines in the front beside the alternator. If I wasn't ashamed of my hosing I probably would

UselessPickles
11-14-2015, 10:08 PM
if it does detonate the motor than an excuse to drop a 5.7 would almost be legit

The 5.7 hemi isn't really worth the money for the conversion from the 3.6 Pentastar, especially if you're coming from a supercharged Pentastart. 5.7 Hemi only makes about 230 hp at the wheels in a Wrangler. Only about 40 hp more than the stock Pentastar, and substantially less than a supercharged Pentastar. That would be a $20k downgrade from a supercharged Pentastar. If you're going to do a V8 conversion, go for a 6.2 LS or 6.4 Hemi.

Anyway, the double catch can I think would be excessive and more hoses.

I agree that a single catch can (on the make-up air hose! not the PCV hose!) is perfectly adequate, to reduce oil vapors going into the intake during high engine load/boost conditions.

Bullfighter
11-15-2015, 06:37 PM
N
The 5.7 hemi isn't really worth the money for the conversion from the 3.6 Pentastar, especially if you're coming from a supercharged Pentastart. 5.7 Hemi only makes about 230 hp at the wheels in a Wrangler. Only about 40 hp more than the stock Pentastar, and substantially less than a supercharged Pentastar. That would be a $20k downgrade from a supercharged Pentastar. If you're going to do a V8 conversion, go for a 6.2 LS or 6.4 N

I agree that a single catch can (on the make-up air hose! not the PCV hose!) is perfectly adequate, to reduce oil vapors going into the intake during high engine load/boost conditions. Haha no I'm in no hurry to put a smal block in. Financially or even want to tackle it. Let's just say if the 3lbs of boost makes it blow than the 2 door jeep is gone and a 4 door will show up in the garage.....which isn't cheaper but damn at this point stock and untouched would be less stressful.

2k13jk
11-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Well that's the reason why I want to triple check before I up the boost. If the motor does let go I'm screwed out a vehicle being this jk is my daily

Bullfighter
11-18-2015, 01:06 AM
Well that's the reason why I want to triple check before I up the boost. If the motor does let go I'm screwed out a vehicle being this jk is my daily

You already took the plunge with the blower. You'll be ok with the smaller pulley. But then again I am the guy who overtightens everything till it breaks so what do I know. Go for it. Thank me later

doc5339
12-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Stumbled onto this and it made very emotional. I wrote a "thank you" email to Magnuson Products, LLC:

http://youtu.be/LPbJSSyeqSk

Yoinkers
12-31-2015, 05:47 PM
Stumbled onto this and it made very emotional. I wrote a "thank you" email to Magnuson Products, LLC:

http://youtu.be/LPbJSSyeqSk

x2. easy to forget that so many have lost so much for the sake of the rest of us.

Bruski
10-28-2016, 08:10 AM
I would love to hear a full review about the Edelbrock E-Force supercharger for the 3.6L Pentastar.
Anyone?
http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/427hp-for-3-6l-pentastar-jk-wrangler-with-edelbrocks-e-force-supercharger/

doc5339
03-06-2017, 09:15 AM
I would love to hear a full review about the Edelbrock E-Force supercharger for the 3.6L Pentastar.
Anyone?
http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/427hp-for-3-6l-pentastar-jk-wrangler-with-edelbrocks-e-force-supercharger/

Here ya go:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/modified-jk-tech-dept/284729-my-edelbrock-supercharger-install-thread-10.html#post4162258

White13JKUR over on JKOwners.com did a pretty extensive build with the Edelbrock E-Force to include Water Methanol Injection (WMI), Wide Band O2 data-logging for a tune.