PDA

View Full Version : RIPP on my 2014 JKUR Auto Stock- A Total Rocket Ship!

TheGrinch
02-18-2014, 10:29 PM
I have been following Ross' journey for some time now. In fact, his experience lead me to sell my 12,000 mile 2009 JKSU 3.8 and purchase a 2014 JKUR JUST to install the RIPP. My 2009 3.8 had a 3.5" lift with MT 35" Tires and it would give any turtle a run for it's money. But that little old lady from the "Where's the Beef" commercials could have passed me like I was in reverse! Thus the low miles.

Enter the 2014 Auto 3.6 Pentastar. I ordered it as a copperhead pearl with every option available. Drove it 1,500 Miles. Bought the RIPP SC. Local Dyno shop installed. They have stock Dyno and then SC 1st stage 8lb boost stock dyno results. Mine was installed during the "tool" issues last month that the Diablo trinity was having trouble logging results and was giving Ross (RIPP) fits. The initial tunes were very conservative and tended to be rich air/fuel mixes. The local shop kept it for 2 weeks to make sure it was right.

I got it back and drove it for 2 weeks. Really no issues except it threw a code one day for rear O2 sensor "too rich". Well, I knew the tune was rich so it was somewhat expected. RIPP has been very attentive to me via phone. Ross (RIPP) had a few ideas for me to try (don't know if I disclose yet?). WOW! ODB light went away and has stayed off.

Next move (hopefully this week or early next):

1- 3rd Dyno since this last change
2- Get the DiabloSport Intune instead of the Trinity- Ross (RIPP) says it is very stable and working well compared to the trinity.

Here's what I will say: Ross (JeepLabs) is 1000% correct. The SC changes the ENTIRE dynamics of the JK driving experience. It may now be my favorite vehicle I have EVER owned! Sport cars or anything else for that matter. The JKUR is a ROCKET! It is a BLAST to drive everyday in the city or countryside. I have ZERO regrets on the purchase or install of the RIPP at this point.

It looks stock (except from front grill) but drives like a Vet (almost)!

I am loving the new jeep and agree that the SC upgrade is the best upgrade I have ever done!

Vance

JeepLab
02-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Hey bud!

Post your dyno results here if you can. I'd love to see the difference with the trinity problem out of the way.

I sent RIPP my trinity version, and they told me I was WAY out of date. Updated it, and reinstalled the tune, and it runs even better than before.

I assumed when it was a little off when cold starting, that it was just a cold start. Now its like silk.

TheGrinch
02-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Ross (JeepLab),

Spoke to Ross (RIPP) today and I have the InTune on the way. I also purchased a relocation kit for the Air cleaner to get it from under my 10A hood vents to behind my passenger light area. Car washes were allowing water into filter a bit and I didn't like that!

I should have the InTune in a few days, relocate the air filter, and be able to test my system on the Dyno next week.

I'll keep you posted!

Vance

JeepLab
02-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Ross (JeepLab),

Spoke to Ross (RIPP) today and I have the InTune on the way. I also purchased a relocation kit for the Air cleaner to get it from under my 10A hood vents to behind my passenger light area. Car washes were allowing water into filter a bit and I didn't like that!

I should have the InTune in a few days, relocate the air filter, and be able to test my system on the Dyno next week.

I'll keep you posted!

Vance

Show us some pictures of the relocation kit and the whole truck.

I just updated my unit and things I didnt think were problems, disappeared. Its a very good update

Pznivy
02-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Are we expecting the auto to be faster than the manual?

Does the tranny have any bearing on the subject?

JeepLab
02-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Are we expecting the auto to be faster than the manual?

Does the tranny have any bearing on the subject?

its hard to tell,

they seem to be different although, my brain can't figure out why. We are interested to see how this dyno turns out. To compare to ours.

We would also LOVE to wire a stock truck with the RIPP unit up for a 0-60 video.

Pete
02-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Vance, can you do a stock 0-60 in the auto? 2 shifts on the manual are going to kill our times.

JeepLab
02-23-2014, 05:15 PM
They do kill our times. The 35 inch tires are faster than 32s to 60 because of the second shift.

TheGrinch
02-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys. I now have a pretty smooth and sweet tune running on the 2014 via the Intune tool. Ran it most of the weekend without any hiccups. Got the air filter relocated to behind the passenger headlight. Fit perfectly and looks cool. I have photos that I'll share.

What's the opinion on the "Torque" app used via bluetooth ODBII? I have read on a bunch of forums that some say it's dead accurate and some say it's not.

I can use it and try very soon. I boxed up my Trinity 1000 and I'm sending it back to RIPP today. That's what I would have used to do the 0-60 test.

Also, with any luck, I may be able to get back on the Dyno this week.

JeepLab
02-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys. I now have a pretty smooth and sweet tune running on the 2014 via the Intune tool. Ran it most of the weekend without any hiccups. Got the air filter relocated to behind the passenger headlight. Fit perfectly and looks cool. I have photos that I'll share.

What's the opinion on the "Torque" app used via bluetooth ODBII? I have read on a bunch of forums that some say it's dead accurate and some say it's not.

I can use it and try very soon. I boxed up my Trinity 1000 and I'm sending it back to RIPP today. That's what I would have used to do the 0-60 test.

Also, with any luck, I may be able to get back on the Dyno this week.

If you are near NJ we can wire you up with one of our trinity units, and run it.

TheGrinch
02-24-2014, 10:52 AM
NC, not NJ, sorry. I'll try a few different things. The Dyno shop has Trinity units in stock as well. Ross at RIPP likes the Torque app, BTW.

TheGrinch
02-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Ok, here is a link to today's 0-60 runs.... I was a little disappointed but this is really new to me.

More to come!

http://youtu.be/Vta7sggaGbg

TheGrinch
02-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Here are a few photos:

JeepLab
02-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Is this with 3.73 gears? or 4.10?

and a great video thanks for posting it.

Snarf77
02-24-2014, 08:27 PM
I thought the video was great - that thing seems wicked fast to me compared to my stock 2012 Rubicon with 4.10s and the 6mt. Great looking ride by the way.

TheGrinch
02-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys.

It's an Auto with 4:10's; I do have the 11lb boost pulley on the RIPP.

It screams!

BTW, the bottom left is the 0-60, not the top left... so 6.10 was the correct best time, DUH. Once I get the 2 flat spots out, it will be much better.

I took a few more vids tonight and it looks MUCH better in the dark as you can see the display 100% better.

JeepLab
02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
That is a FAST 0-60 The auto is way faster than the manual trans. The gears are a mile apart. 1 to 2 is ok, 2 to 3 is a nightmare.

Pznivy
02-28-2014, 02:21 PM
is 11 lbs boost bad for the motor?

why do they offer different pulleys? wouldn't everyone just want the most power they could get?

UselessPickles
02-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Smaller pulley is for higher elevations. Thinner air requires faster supercharger RPM to create the same amount of intake manifold pressure. Boost is relative to outside barometric pressure, so at higher elevations, you need more boost to get the same intake manifold pressure.

Pznivy
02-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Smaller pulley is for higher elevations. Thinner air requires faster supercharger RPM to create the same amount of intake manifold pressure. Boost is relative to outside barometric pressure, so at higher elevations, you need more boost to get the same intake manifold pressure.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo if you put a high elevation pulley at sea level....Your jeep is even faster?

TheGrinch
03-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo if you put a high elevation pulley at sea level....Your jeep is even faster?

YEP!

I'm at 350' Above Sea level.

JeepLab
03-01-2014, 05:36 PM

Yes.

BUT - More pressure means more power, but also more strain on engine parts.

So overall the answer (as i understand it) is

the extra psi in higher elevations, is more of a correction. You can use it like theGrinch uses it, with a huge smile on your face, but is the extra pressure worth it on your engine at sea level?

At altitude, the higher pressure is leveled out by thinner air.

Matsango
11-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I have a stock 2014 jku sport w 373s and the 32" rubicon wheels. Did any of you try 0-60 times before supercharger. I'm thinking of getting the ripp and tried a few 0-60 runs with a msd dashhawk and best was a 6.81. Hit 60 in 2nd right before the 3rd gear shift.

JeepLab
11-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I have a stock 2014 jku sport w 373s and the 32" rubicon wheels. Did any of you try 0-60 times before supercharger. I'm thinking of getting the ripp and tried a few 0-60 runs with a msd dashhawk and best was a 6.81. Hit 60 in 2nd right before the 3rd gear shift.

6.8 is a really good run. I have not done a stock 0-60 as its hardest thing we do to the drive train. People think the dyno is bad for trucks. The 0-60 is worse.