PDA

View Full Version : JeepLab Tire Review Thread

JeepLab
03-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Lets Talk Tires!

You've got them on your truck tell us what you think of them.

Here are the categories

Mud
Snow
Rain
Sound
Ride
Braking
would you recommend or buy again?
pros
cons
Give us a pic!

JeepLab
03-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Here is the first aftermarket tire I've installed.

I wanted to maintain the ride as best I could and wanted something good for snow.

The duratrac has the snowflake that signifies that its a serious winter tire, and it maintains the aggressive look of a Mud terrain tire.

MUD -
Ehh not great here, the type of mud makes a difference. If its not super soft, the duratrac will kind of float over the top with its wider tread. In deep wet mud that you sink in, they gum up. I never got stuck with them, but if i knew i was up against deep soft mud, I might go another way.

SNOW -
The snowflake means they are good, and they are. The compound is softer so when they are cold they arent as grabby as they are warm, but they are sure footed in the snow and ice. I once tried to climb a steep driveway that had 10 inches of untouched snow on it, and failed. It was an extreme test. Im not sure any tire would have made it up.

RAIN -
You wont even notice rain with these on. Wet traction is superb.

SOUND -
Silent. The tread pattern and the softer compound together equal complete on road silence.

RIDE -
Also superb. If your trying to maintain the best possible ride, this tread pattern and rubber compound is hard to beat.

BRAKING -
I dont remember ever really being in a dangerous situation with these tires where I jammed the brakes, but the compound and amount of rubber on the ground (small voids) lead me to think that they would stop very well.

RECOMMENDATION -
Yes, I would recommend them to anyone who was looking for a SMALLER tire. they don't come in a real 35 size. Their largest is 34.4 and they didnt measure to reach that mark. If you want a real 35 or 37 you have to look elsewhere. HOWEVER. IF goodyear did make them in larger tire sizes, they might be a force to be reckoned with.

Pros - Good at almost everything
Cons - Cant get larger tire sizes.

JeepLab
03-02-2014, 05:01 PM
These are Black Betty's tires at the time of this posting.

We HAD to go to 37s to show them crammed into a 2.5 inch lift. I was terrified of losing the power we had gained with the RIPP supercharger. I searched high and low for the lightest mud terrain tire, and the second thing I was looking for was sound, followed by ride quality. These do not disappoint in any of those categories.

Here we go -

MUD - Its the KM2's natural habitat. These things fling mud all day long. Nothing seems to stick. I dont live in the mud, but when I have been in it, I've never gummed them up. AND Im not hard on the throttle.

SNOW - They are not snow tires, but I have driven to Maine in a blizzard and they never slipped. For fun I would toss the truck in deep snow, and never once was she stuck. You cant drive like a fool on any mud tire in snow and icy conditions, but if you drive it like you know your wearing mud tires, and are careful, They could be 4 season tires. We got about 50 inches of snow overall in NJ this past winter, and I never wished for snow tires. The KM2s handled the poor conditions admirably.

RAIN - Also very good. They have large voids, so hydroplaning isnt really a concert, the lugs get pressed to the pavement under the weight of the truck and the voids spill the water out the sides. Wet traction is very good.

SOUND - This is where the KM2 stands alone. So much research has gone into the development of the tread pattern that they can be one of the most aggressive mud tires available, but STILL are very quiet. They were silent up to my first tire rotation, now I hear them a little, but only when I'm trying to hear them.

RIDE - You will feel the lugs when you slow to a stop sign, but you get used to it quickly and its in no way jarring. That is a tiny downside to the incredible highway manners these Mud Terrains offer. 7 hour road trip? No problem. I did one in January (7 hours 1 way) and on the way back, I did the first 5 hours before turning the controls over to the co-pilot. I could have done the whole 7 hours at once. Its a joy to cruise on them, as at speed they behave excellently.

BRAKING - This was a surprise. I assumed with the large voids and big lugs, this would be the category that would the KM2 would fail. And if I had to guess, without experience with the tires, I would guess this would not be their strong suit. HOWEVER. I was in a situation on the 37 inch KM2s where I had to jam the brakes, and they bit the pavement like I couldn't believe. They really saved Betty's paint job. I was certain i was going to plow into a car in front of me that had been cut off and jammed his brakes. (and I was probably driving faster than I should have been.)

Recommendation-

If you want big tires, these are the tires. Yes they are a little more expensive. But tires are a mod that you feel every time you drive. On road, off road. Tires are always under scrutiny. Power? if you want to keep as much as you can, you need to keep the tires as light as possible. The lightest 37" tire available? The KM2.

PROS -
Everything Really.

CONS -
They are expensive.

Snarf77
03-03-2014, 11:05 AM
I think its only fair we review the stock BFG Mud Terrains that come on a Wrangler Rubicon. Many, honestly the majority of Jeep owners don't purchase a rubicon because of their limited off road use and buy a Wrangler sport with all terrain tires. Like any jeep owner, they're probably soon considering a tire upgrade for appearance and performance.

Bottom line up front - I've been pretty satisfied with the stock 32 inch BFG Mud terrains and would highly recommend them as an upgrade to Jeep's all terrain options. They can be had on Craigslist for a fair price if you watch closely, and often with OEM Jeep Aluminum wheels and TPMS. It can be cheaper to do a driveway swap to mud terrains than to get new all terrains installed.

Mud - These tires do surprisingly well in the mud. They have pretty large voids and really impressed me with their off road abilities. I've aired them down as low as 12psi, but 15 i feel is safer. They offer really decent grip on dry rocks, and dirt, and the voids stay pretty clean in the mud. Definitely a true mud terrain.

Snow - Not so great. They do OK in the snow..but nothing to write home to mom about. They clear themselves out of packed in snow pretty quickly. I never aired dwon for snow but I would imagine it would offer better performance.

Rain - No me gusta. If you drive your jeep like a sports car, then all terrains are probably for you. These do inspire a bit of pucker factor when cornering or going through standing water in the rain. At reasonable speeds they are fine, but I'd be scared to be on a highway at 75 with these in a heavy downpour. Slow down to 60 and you're fine..but not 100% trustworthy in the rain.

Sound - Surprisingly quiet for a mud terrain. Minor drone at speed, but thats being pretty picky considering you can cruise on them at 75 without issues.

Ride - They ride fine, and corner well. I rotated mine every 5000 miles and after 20,000 miles, I still have 15/32nds worth of tread. That means I could probably get a total of about 40k miles on them before they needed to be replaced. That is great for a mud terrain. I think "wear" should be a factor in these reviews. Softer mud terrains used on road = buying new tires regularly.

Braking - A bit of wandering steering under hard braking but it is manageable.

Would you recommend or buy again? - I would recommend any Jeep owner wanting to upgrade to 32s from stock and get some pretty serious off road performance, consider buying a set of of used/new stock Jeep wheels/tires. I don't think you can do better for an initial upgrade. If anything, use them for a while and you'll have a great basis for comparison for your next purchase.

pros - can be had cheaply, great tire wear, solid off road capability
cons - rain performance isn't great, only 32"

Brand new spare:

After 20k miles:

In use @ 15PSI:

JeepLab
03-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Rain - No me gusta.

This made me spit my coffee. You owe me a new keyboard. LOL

Pznivy
03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
This is a thread I can sink my teeth into.

Lets get some MUD GRAPPLERS in here.

Ive found them cheaper than the BFGs. I'd love to know how you guys like them.

JeepLab
03-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Grapplers coming up!

Deola
03-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Grapplers coming up!
Which grapplers are you doing? I run MUDs on mine(35x12.5) and dad runs 33(ish) Terra's. I could write up the ones you don't.

Snarf77
03-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Which grapplers are you doing? I run MUDs on mine(35x12.5) and dad runs 33(ish) Terra's. I could write up the ones you don't.

Deola! I say you write up any tire you have used kind of like the above. You may have a vastly different experinece using the tires than another member becuase of how or where you off road or your usual driving conditions, jeep, etc. I'm pretty interested myself in hearing about both so I say go for it.

JeepLab
03-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Deola! I say you write up any tire you have used kind of like the above. You may have a vastly different experinece using the tires than another member becuase of how or where you off road or your usual driving conditions, jeep, etc. I'm pretty interested myself in hearing about both so I say go for it.

Agreed. Please give us your opinion. And you know we love PICS.

Deola
03-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Nitto Mud Grappler aka Reptilian Awesomeness

Size in use- 35x12.50x17 shoved under a heavy 2012 JKUR. Used in a mountainous region of Virginia where every known weather condition other than a Tsunami is typically experienced weekly. No large rocks like the out west crawlers get to experience really, but lots of loose shale, smooth stone, and step ups present a similar problem for tires.

Mud- Owns it! Can slow roll up the mountain without ever clogging its tread with the nasty red clay. It will claw (pun intended) through all the nasty stuff and ask for more. The huge side lugs really help make this happen.

Rain- These tires have plenty of off road grip in wet grass and forest leaf litter, when wheeling in rain. I have never experienced any hydroplaning while on road with the mud grapplers, but I realize I’m in a lifted JK on mud terrains that the bank still owns….so my on road thrashing tends to stick to when surfaces are dry. They do tend to bite well when on the brakes hard on wet pavement, better than the stock 32” Rubicon tires in my opinion.

Sound- Huh?! I can’t hear you! Seriously though the stock radio will be in excess of volume setting 20 when travelling above 60 mph. There is no carpet in my Jeep though, but everywhere there was carpet there is Line-X sprayed in. This is not a highway tire.

Ride- Much better than expected in dry conditions than I would have originally thought. I routinely cross three steep curvy mountains in my travels, and I fling the Jeep when the roads are clear and the traffic is nil. At low speeds on pavement you feel the aggressive tread (<10mph).

Braking- If you’re driving for your skill, your vehicle capabilities, the weather, and the ominous “other driver” your fine just don’t ask them to compensate for your lack of judgment. Overall I have been truly impressed with these 35’s that stop better than stock smaller rubbers.

Would I buy again? Well this is my second set. I picked up (5) 35x12.5xr17s for $1,475 mounted and balanced. I think they are a great off-road tire for the money. I am a career Firefighter/EMT for a department 30 miles from where I live, which means no matter the weather I have to get to work on time. I trust these tires to help my Jeep get me there.

Pros- During hunting season last year I took my jeep up abandoned logging roads on Jack Mountain in Highland County. Not impressive really until you add in the ¾” of ice under 21” snow in 0 degree weather. After I got my deer I stopped on the way down to pull out two family members who tried to follow my tracks (one on a 4-wheeler the other in a side by side). I have a winch, but I have never had to use it and I credit to these tires.

Cons- THIS IS NOT A HIGHWAY TIRE. If you buy this tire to ride around town, it would be like buying a Rottweiler to stuff in your girlfriend’s purse. This tire does a great job doing what it’s made to do, however if my JK was my daily driver I would have a different set of tires.

Snarf77
03-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Excellent review and they seem reasonably priced.It sounds like they do really well off road. One thing that was nice about the stock Rubicon tires was just how well the drove on the highway. You could hit 85 in those things and not worry. I guess its all a trade-off.

JeepLab
03-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Deola put just about the same way I would have. They dig, and claw and spit mud like champs.

if you dont mind the noise.

Bravo!

Deola
03-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Excellent review and they seem reasonably priced.It sounds like they do really well off road. One thing that was nice about the stock Rubicon tires was just how well the drove on the highway. You could hit 85 in those things and not worry. I guess its all a trade-off.

I really think that's why this forum and threads like this are so useful. A jeep is a rolling tool to suit your needs, and everyone has different priorities of what they NEED. Ads from companies for jeep parts are shady at best anymore. Unless you have access to honest reviews then you may be buying a part only to turn around and buy a different version that works for your use. When I pulled my stock rubicon tires off my dad pulled the street slicks off his sport and threw the BFGs on, and they were perfect for him.

Deola
03-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Some tire images I had on my phone.

Snarf77
03-10-2014, 08:30 PM

Those are really meaty on the sidewall. I bet they grip like hell when aired down as more of that side wall gets under the jeep.

JeepLab
03-10-2014, 08:45 PM

That thing is MEAN. I cant keep my eyes off the hood.

Pznivy
03-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Keep These coming. Im going to be in the market soon. Maybe show some ATs

Deola
03-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Keep These coming. Im going to be in the market soon. Maybe show some ATs

I will be doing the terra grapplers soon, just want to put them through their paces a bit more.

JeepLab
03-12-2014, 06:19 PM
I will be doing the terra grapplers soon, just want to put them through their paces a bit more.

This guy's on FIRE!

Yoinkers
03-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Im tire shopping.... Anyone with Goodyear MTRs?

Deola
03-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Nitto Terra Grapplers
These are on a 2013 JKU Sport S, it totes a soft top, AEV steel front and rear bumpers with their BB and Geometry Control brackets. The tires are sized P285 70 r17 s.
Mud- These tires hold their own in mud, especially if aired down. Wet muddy fields and trails aren’t an issue until you get several inches deep. In red clay or swamp mud, throttle control was the key to keep momentum going. You’re going to have to spin through it.
Snow- Great here lately on all the snow covered roads. Dry powdery snow isn’t a worry, and wet slush wasn’t an issue either…even the 7” that got dumped on us the other day. I feel the weight of the rig really helps in the snow and a light 2-door may want to air down a bit if you’re planning on spending the day in the snow.
Rain- These tires channel water very well and I could only get the ABS to take over to early if I stood on the brakes in standing water. Highway speeds, lane changes, and braking were all great.
Sound- These tires are just as quiet as the stock Jeep sport street tires at all speeds, pretty impressive.
Ride and Braking- These tires took anything I threw at them on dry roads at 32 psi. Cornering, accelerating, braking, quick moves all were within the terra grappler’s abilities. Off the line the RIPP made sure that you left your mark…about 60’ of it.
I would recommend these tires to someone who uses their Jeep as a daily driver, and sees moderate off road conditions. Aired down you can push them a little farther than you would think.
Pros- Great bite for an AT. Long wear life, my friend got 65k miles on his 07 JKU with these.
Cons- Not a ton of sidewall bite, but this is an AT tire. I felt myself giving this tire a bad rap at first, but I had to step back and stop judging them off road against my mud grapplers. After that I was able to give them a better review for what they are made for.

Deola
03-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Here are the pics

Snarf77
03-18-2014, 07:57 PM
I like the lug pattern on those terragrapplers.

JeepLab
03-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Is there a window cut in the lower part of the driver's door?

Deola
03-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Is there a window cut in the lower part of the driver's door?

Haha nah, that's just a reflection from his basement window

Deola
05-30-2014, 04:51 PM
So my nitto mud 35x12.50r17 weighs 11bs more than a 37x12.5r17 BFG KM2. That's depressing

WhiteRavenRR
05-31-2014, 09:18 AM
I like my 315 Duratracs. Like was said earlier they are small for their size and don't come any bigger.

I noticed they were really quiet on the road until I rotated them. The decibel level did go up some but I've either gotten use to it or they have quieted back down.

I might have to try a true 35 once these wear out.

JeepLab
05-31-2014, 04:45 PM
I like my 315 Duratracs. Like was said earlier they are small for their size and don't come any bigger.

I noticed they were really quiet on the road until I rotated them. The decibel level did go up some but I've either gotten use to it or they have quieted back down.

I might have to try a true 35 once these wear out.

I LOVE THE DURATRAC. If you are trying to go "polite" with your rig. Not loud not agressive, but good all around, and good in snow. Its too bad they dont go bigger. But if they did, i may never have discovered the KM2 which i feel is a superior tire.

JeepLab
05-31-2014, 04:47 PM
So my nitto mud 35x12.50r17 weighs 11bs more than a 37x12.5r17 BFG KM2. That's depressing

The noise those grapplers make is also depressing. But yours is a pure trail rig, speed and fuel economy are secondary to offroad performance.

Also that extra weight is somewhere on the tire. Maybe more ply? maybe thicker tread?

For pure offroad abuse, the extra weight might work for you.

I wheel about 20 times per year. The rest of the time im on the road with my foot planted in the gas pedal. In that situation, the lightest tire wins.

WhiteRavenRR
05-31-2014, 06:02 PM
I LOVE THE DURATRAC. If you are trying to go "polite" with your rig. Not loud not agressive, but good all around, and good in snow. Its too bad they dont go bigger. But if they did, i may never have discovered the KM2 which i feel is a superior tire.

That's good to know. The KM2's came in second place to the Duratracs but I may have to try them on the next go 'round.

ljvsnyder
06-01-2014, 10:41 PM
I am running falken Rocket Mountain ATS II (also known as wild peaks). They are 285/75-16's (got to love auto correct on phones), they aren't the most aggressive, but they handle well in the rain, and dirt. Haven't ran them offroad or in the snow yet. They look great and handle well. I am on stock 16" wheels with no spacers and currently no lift installed. There is only slight rubbing on the driver side sway bar at full lock.

JeepLab
06-02-2014, 08:19 AM
I am running falken Rocket Mountain ATS II (also known as wild peaks). They are /75-16's, they aren't the most aggressive, but they handle well in the rain, and dirt. Haven't ran them offroad or in the snow yet. They look great and handle well.

what tire size?

Timmy
08-12-2014, 05:35 PM
These are Black Betty's tires at the time of this posting.

We HAD to go to 37s to show them crammed into a 2.5 inch lift. I was terrified of losing the power we had gained with the RIPP supercharger. I searched high and low for the lightest mud terrain tire, and the second thing I was looking for was sound, followed by ride quality. These do not disappoint in any of those categories.

Hey JeepLab... I've been looking into upgrading to 37's and I've always remembered your posting on these tires. These tires interest me a lot but I have a question on the width. My Micky T's Baja ATZ's have a size written on them of 35"x12.5x20", however, when I measure the tire, they are actually 13.5" wide. I REALLLLLLLLY like the look of the 13.5" width vs. other 12.5" widths I've seen. On your KM2's, are they measuring at 12.5" wide or are they coming in wider? I see they offer a 38" but it is 14.5" wide. I like the 37" because they are only 4 lbs heavier than my 35" ATZ's, whereas the 38" is showing 16 lbs heavier than my ATZ's.

JeepLab
08-12-2014, 05:37 PM
I'll measure.

JeepLab
08-12-2014, 06:45 PM
My tread is 9.5 inches, the tire is a little over 12.

I use a lot of pressure, so they are tall and thin. Would probably be wider with a wider rim. My rim is 8.5

Timmy
08-13-2014, 09:25 AM
My tread is 9.5 inches, the tire is a little over 12.

I use a lot of pressure, so they are tall and thin. Would probably be wider with a wider rim. My rim is 8.5

Okay, thx. I just measured mine again (as it had been a while) and my treadblock is 10", and the tire overall is 12.5" to 12.75" (eyeballing it.) My rim is 10". What do you think the KM2's would flatten out to with a little lower pressure and a 10" rim?

You are for sure right on your research about those KM2's. Based on all my research, I really do think they are the best tire out there for all around every day use. I just wish they made them in a 13.5" wide. 35's in 12.5" look good, but add a little height to them and they get a little narrow looking. I've found some 37"x13.5" (Toyo's, etc.) but DANG do those tires get heavy quick, some upwards of 90+ lbs! Yours are seriously only a few lbs heavier than my Baja ATZ.

Yoinkers
08-13-2014, 05:06 PM
We need to get the new BFG KO2 on this page. That thing is the white whale right now. Seen some pics, but no one's got them.

Are they available yet?

Timmy
08-13-2014, 05:33 PM
We need to get the new BFG KO2 on this page. That thing is the white whale right now. Seen some pics, but no one's got them.

Are they available yet?

WHAT!?!! Oh yeah, another tire to consider...

I LOVE it when the marketing department goes and talks with the engineers and says "what sort of cool things did you build into the product that we should let people know about?" That's the sense I get with this video...

http://vimeo.com/99741350

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1312-new-bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ta-ko2-in-the-works/

Yoinkers
08-13-2014, 07:26 PM
cool video. Lets see them in 37s!

JeepLab
08-13-2014, 07:36 PM
That video makes me want those tires. LOL

every situation seems to be addressed, but really, its just a video until we put that rubber to the test.

They would really have to be incredible for me to trade the KM2s Betty wears now. (but I do like the snowflake rating)

Well done BFG.

Timmy
08-13-2014, 07:58 PM
If these come out soon, I'll consider them, otherwise, I'm leaning towards either 37" Toyo Open Country M/T, or 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I really like the KM2's, I love how light they are, but I just really want a wider tire and so far it appears the Toyo and Nitto both come in 13.5" wide, and reviews show them to be about the quietest tire in this width that you can get. I already have a set of studded Duratrack's that I'll use for winter driving so I can opt for a more specific tire for summer time.

Pznivy
08-13-2014, 08:04 PM
If these come out soon, I'll consider them, otherwise, I'm leaning towards either 37" Toyo Open Country M/T, or 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I really like the KM2's, I love how light they are, but I just really want a wider tire and so far it appears the Toyo and Nitto both come in 13.5" wide, and reviews show them to be about the quietest tire in this width that you can get. I already have a set of studded Duratrack's that I'll use for winter driving so I can opt for a more specific tire for summer time.

Wide tires decrease down pressure, become "floaty"

How big are your rims?

Overall tire size you are going with? (duratracs are small)

Timmy
08-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Wide tires decrease down pressure, become "floaty"

How big are your rims?

Overall tire size you are going with? (duratracs are small)

Rims are 20x10's. That's okay if it's a touch more floaty than my current Baja ATZ's. Those are 12.5" wide tires, but the actual tread block on them is pretty wide compared to other 12.5" wide tires. This is my kicken around car. It is only my 'daily driver' because I love driving it every day. I have another vehicle that I jump in for cruising, bad weather, etc. I expect my baby to be a little twitchy, that's what gives him personality!

I'm looking at the 37x13.5x20 from Toyo or Nitto. The BFG's only come in 37x12.5x20's and even then, the BFG's seem to have a much more narrow tread pattern than others, so it really gives the tire a very tall and thin look. Now, I like to have a good driving vehicle just as much as the next, but since this is my fun vehicle, it's nice if some of my $$$ goes into attitude/style a bit as well.

Rexx19
08-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Rims are 20x10's. That's okay if it's a touch more floaty than my current Baja ATZ's. Those are 12.5" wide tires, but the actual tread block on them is pretty wide compared to other 12.5" wide tires. This is my kicken around car. It is only my 'daily driver' because I love driving it every day. I have another vehicle that I jump in for cruising, bad weather, etc. I expect my baby to be a little twitchy, that's what gives him personality!

I'm looking at the 37x13.5x20 from Toyo or Nitto. The BFG's only come in 37x12.5x20's and even then, the BFG's seem to have a much more narrow tread pattern than others, so it really gives the tire a very tall and thin look. Now, I like to have a good driving vehicle just as much as the next, but since this is my fun vehicle, it's nice if some of my $$$ goes into attitude/style a bit as well.

20s???? I just spilled my coffee!

You need to go to 40s on the tire. leave some room to air down!

JeepLab
08-15-2014, 09:36 AM
20s???? I just spilled my coffee!

You need to go to 40s on the tire. leave some room to air down!

I agree timmy, you should be shopping for 40s! LOL

We should all get 40s!

Timmy
08-15-2014, 11:35 AM
I agree timmy, you should be shopping for 40s! LOL

We should all get 40s!

Haha, I'd love to get 40's, except for two issues. #1, I'd really need a supercharger for sure with them mofo's on there. #2, It really seems once you get past 37" or 38" tires, then you need to start modifying more stuff on the Jeep, AGAIN. I'm at a 4" lift now, and everything is working just peachy at the moment with 35". I think I can squeeze 37" tires in without any major change in how well it is driving now.

Jeep came with 20" rims on it. I personally like 18" rims, but hey, got the Jeep at a super price with the wheels and tires that are on it. Now, this being said, one of the wonderful things about the 20" rims is that the tire weight is less.

[Now, just between us Jeep peeps... When I get the 37" tires, I do expect the Jeep to be slower, at which point I'll have to tell the wife "dang, the Jeep is sooooooo slow now, I need to add a supercharger!"]

Yoinkers
08-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Jeep came with 20" rims on it. I personally like 18" rims, but hey, got the Jeep at a super price with the wheels and tires that are on it. Now, this being said, one of the wonderful things about the 20" rims is that the tire weight is less.

I dont think tires get lighter at 20s. I think they have to thicken up the sidewall.

Rexx19
08-18-2014, 08:50 PM
The 38x14.5 is over the line i think. 37x12.5 is a the last level that the truck can handle well.

Someone with 38s, please give us a first hand account.

JeepLab
08-18-2014, 09:12 PM
The 38x14.5 is over the line i think. 37x12.5 is a the last level that the truck can handle well.

Someone with 38s, please give us a first hand account.

Ive been thinking this same thing, about 37x12 to 38x14, Jeremy of RK loves a wide 38. Need a LOT of backspace.

Yoinkers
08-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Ive been thinking this same thing, about 37x12 to 38x14, Jeremy of RK loves a wide 38. Need a LOT of backspace.

Wide tires get floaty, Floaty tires are good for mud, but bad for rain, snow etc. They would probably look great, but you might be going past a good working wheeler, into more of a show jeep.

It gets my goat when im at a show and everyone is soooo impressed with a jeep with 44 inch tires. I want to tell them, that its not a GOOD jeep with tires that big. It only looks good to people who dont know what they are looking at.

rant over.

Rexx19
08-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Wide tires get floaty, Floaty tires are good for mud, but bad for rain, snow etc. They would probably look great, but you might be going past a good working wheeler, into more of a show jeep.

It gets my goat when im at a show and everyone is soooo impressed with a jeep with 44 inch tires. I want to tell them, that its not a GOOD jeep with tires that big. It only looks good to people who dont know what they are looking at.

rant over.

TOTALLY X2 then that rediculous monstrosity wins the show, and im sorry i paid 5 bucks to get in. LOL

Timmy
08-19-2014, 09:52 AM

Ooooh, I'd love a 38x14, but I'm thinking that will be too much. That's why I think I'll go for 37x13.5. Sort of a nice halfway. My XD Bully wheels have a -44 offset, and kick the wheel out pretty far so I don't think I'll have any issue with rubbing on a 37x13.5.

Before I pull the trigger on these though, I've been looking at the need to upgrade the rear tire carrier first. My 35" tires are pretty heavy, but this will only add more weight and accelerate the damage if I don't take care of this first. Right now I'm looking at the Teraflex HD rear tire carrier. Looks nice a simple, has tons of adjustments to help get the tire as close to the rear door as possible (which I need with my XD wheels or it will stick out a ton,) and they claim it can handle up to 200 lbs, which I would only be at 1/2 that. Anyone have any experience with this rear carrier?

Timmy
08-19-2014, 09:57 AM

rant over.

Fear not the 44" tire, as it CAN actually be used for off-road. Fear this instead...

JeepLab
08-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Fear not the 44" tire, as it CAN actually be used for off-road. Fear this instead...

Ripp would say this guy was "doing it wrong"

Timmy
08-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Ripp would say this guy was "doing it wrong"

I know right. Painted front bumper to match the gloss black, seriously? :cool:

JeepLab
08-19-2014, 01:49 PM
This was a video i watched 100 times before I bought Betty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QSltuHh-l4

Painted bumpers.

Timmy
08-19-2014, 11:44 PM
This was a video i watched 100 times before I bought Betty.

Painted bumpers.

:-) A joke, you know, a funny, like a ha-ha... Of course the tires were the glaring issue with that ugly beast. I actually like painted bumpers. Of course, when I look at that video you posted, I think "damn, how do you keep it so clean? must not get used, waste of a good Jeep." My wife was all pissed at me because I had not cleaned my Jeep in months, still had mud-splots all over it. I asked her "oh, are you going to help clean it with no doors and no top, and then clean it again a week later after I put a fresh coat of mud on it!?!" Needless to say, I cleaned my Jeep up nice and pretty by the end of the day :( Damn you women and your ways...

Timmy
08-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Just installed a new Teraflex HD tire carrier. I really like it. Here's the reason I went with it:

1) It is rated up to a 200 lbs. tire/wheel.
2) It doesn't involve the bumper at all, so I can swap out bumpers at any time.
3) It has two pieces to it (if you want both.) It can work with stock tire mount, or you can use their HD tire mount with their hinge.
4) Their HD tire mount includes adjustment both up and down, as well as forward and back, so you can try to get the tire as low and as tight to the door as possible. I've seen some tire mounts that have the tire jetted way out over the bumper (not referring to ones designed to hold gas, etc. between door and tire) and that just adds a lot of stress on the system when you hit a bump, and it looks dumb.
5) The install was super easy (took me maybe 30 minutes at best.)

Now that I have that done, I'm one step closer to upgrading to 37's! I'm currently using it with the stock tire mount because I have that custom mod where my backup camera is in the hub of my spare, and, no reason to put new HD mount on until I have the 37" tires, so I can get the vertical and horizontal position of the tire mount correct.

Probably no reason to post any pictures since it is a pretty basic design and there are already tons of pics on the web, but, if anyone wants pics, let me know.

Gunner
08-26-2014, 01:23 AM
I need to find 35 inch tires that are rated at least an H 130 mph rating. The only ones so far are the Baja TA race tires and they cost a ton.

Timmy
08-26-2014, 11:03 AM
I need to find 35 inch tires that are rated at least an H 130 mph rating. The only ones so far are the Baja TA race tires and they cost a ton.

Just how long you plan on traveling at 130 mph? I've seen your other post about racing in the desert. If memory serves, the speed ratings on tires is really about heat dissipation to prevent tire failure. If you are just doing a short run and then cooling down, I'm not sure that a lower rated tire would blow on you for that short of a run, especially on dirt. Shoot, I've never really even heard of a tire blowing because someone exceeded the speed rating. Most people are not racing their cars hard enough for the temps of the tire to come anywhere near what it would take for the tire to fail. This is part of the reason that tires state a higher pressure for higher speeds. Heat builds up faster in a lower inflated tire due to the expansion and contraction of the sidewall as it rotates. If you inflate it higher, it doesn't expand and contract as much, which keeps the temps down.

Gunner
08-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Your right to the extent of just flex and temps. I will only be at terminal for a short time. But what concerns me is the rotational speeds and the centrifugal forces applied to the tread surface. A 99 mph tire will se a huge jump in G Forces when it is subjected to a 50% increase in tire speed. I am not a tire engineer but my guess is that my life is not worth finding our. I lost a few friends racing the high speed races like the LaCarrera and the Silver State races. 3 were directly due to tire failure at speed on V rated tires. They were a 149 rating and we were going 180 to 200+. I just am being careful.

JeepLab
08-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Your right to the extent of just flex and temps. I will only be at terminal for a short time. But what concerns me is the rotational speeds and the centrifugal forces applied to the tread surface. A 99 mph tire will se a huge jump in G Forces when it is subjected to a 50% increase in tire speed. I am not a tire engineer but my guess is that my life is not worth finding our. I lost a few friends racing the high speed races like the LaCarrera and the Silver State races. 3 were directly due to tire failure at speed on V rated tires. They were a 149 rating and we were going 180 to 200+. I just am being careful.

I can't afford to lose an active member. Lets get the right tires on this rig.

Rexx19
08-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Is the duratrac an H? I know the tech in that tire is recent and dependable. I think it would be my pick if i was going to risk my life in this fashion.