PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rotation...4 or 5?

JeepLab
03-15-2014, 12:47 PM
This ones going to be open and shut.

We rotated the tires on sweet pea today. Stock Rubi 255/75R17s.

We did the 5 tire rotation.

Some people do a 4 tire rotation, excluding their spare. Only because its easier. This is a mistake. Heres why -

1. You may want to use a different tire brand in the future,
2. You may want a different tire SIZE in the future.
3. if you get a blowout 20k miles into your tires, you will have uneven tread from one side to the other, when you have half tread on one tire, and full on the opposite side. This makes it difficult to make them all wear evenly.

When you only rotate 4 and save the spare as new, your cheating yourself out of 20% of the overall longevity of your tires.

When you wear out your 4 tires, and have one new one, whats next? Kinda forces you to stay with the same brand and size, AND make you buy those tires earlier.

Pete
03-16-2014, 05:05 PM
I don't know why people do a 4 tire rotation? Seems like a waste.

Rexx19
03-17-2014, 09:32 AM
If you get your tires rotated at pep boys for free with your oil change, they will just do the 4.

I think thats how it happens, you don't realize that you should incorporate the spare, or someone else is doing it and are being lazy about it, or just don't know that jeeps do a 5 tire rotation.

Slacker mechanics. anything for a shortcut.

Then the owner realizes it at 15k miles, and there you are.

Pznivy
03-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Agreed with JL and Pete. when I do an oil change and they want to rotate the tires, I ask if they will do a 5 tire. If they do, I tip 20 bucks.

The other option is they try to charge me extra for the rotation and I leave. (because my tires arent stock size)

Yoinkers
03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Ive always done four, but never had a jeep.

With five, you just pick clickwise or counter clockwise?

JeepLab
03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Ive always done four, but never had a jeep.

With five, you just pick clickwise or counter clockwise?

Here's the chart on 5.

There are different ways to do it. So when you pick one, keep a picture, and put it in your glove box.

UselessPickles
03-17-2014, 08:56 PM
5 tire rotation is actually easier if all you have is a single floor jack. It lets you lift only one corner at a time, and only lift each corner once. No jack stands necessary.

JeepLab
03-17-2014, 08:59 PM
5 tire rotation is actually easier if all you have is a single floor jack. It lets you lift only one corner at a time, and only lift each corner once. No jack stands necessary.

That is an EXCELLENT point.

it may be the best point ever made by anyone in history.

Well Played. Good Sir.

Rexx19
03-19-2014, 10:49 AM

That is a good point. I've been doing a 5 tire rotation for years, but lifting the whole truck and putting 8 jackstands under. THEN doing the 5 tire rotation, with the Jeep completely in the air.

How dumb is that? I thought I was doing it the FAST way. LOL nope.

Snarf77
03-21-2014, 03:05 PM
That is a good point. I've been doing a 5 tire rotation for years, but lifting the whole truck and putting 8 jackstands under. THEN doing the 5 tire rotation, with the Jeep completely in the air.

How dumb is that? I thought I was doing it the FAST way. LOL nope.

I'm SO not looking forward to doing my own 5 tire rotation with my new 37" combo. I've done 33s by myself and its manageable, but the 37s will be a new experience. Any tips?
Generally I try to just lift the tire high enough to remove it with some friction on the floor. That way its more scooting the tire in place vice lifting and rotating.

JeepLab
03-21-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm SO not looking forward to doing my own 5 tire rotation with my new 37" combo. I've done 33s by myself and its manageable, but the 37s will be a new experience. Any tips?
Generally I try to just lift the tire high enough to remove it with some friction on the floor. That way its more scooting the tire in place vice lifting and rotating.

I watched a mechanic sit indian style i front of the wheel and lift it on. I was shocked to say the least. 100lb wheel with no leg.

Really made me feel like a wuss.

I couldnt do it.

Snarf77
05-19-2014, 06:39 PM
I watched a mechanic sit indian style i front of the wheel and lift it on. I was shocked to say the least. 100lb wheel with no leg.

Really made me feel like a wuss.

I couldnt do it.

I'd hate to get my flat wheel/tire combo onto my tire carrier after a change. I'm sure I could get the good one DOWN, but tossing the old one up there onto the three lugs would SUCK. Probably could do it but it wouldn't be fun.