PDA

View Full Version : Backspacing....Dont hate me.....

Yoinkers
03-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Hey guys. New here, so take it easy.

I cannot figure out backspacing. and there are SOOO many threads about it that I feel are contradictory.

Is there a specific formula?

the part that i dont get is that Method, the wheel company Im looking at makes wheels with 4.7" backspace, and that seems like too much....but the big name jeeps, Rock Krawler, and other companies wheel have them. (method wheels)

can I run 37s with that backspace? Or do I need a spacer?

That brings us to weather spacers are dangerous....UGH!

JeepLab
03-17-2014, 09:02 PM
My rule, is if your buying new wheels, 4.5 is the minimum.

You mention the RK guys in your post. They do use method wheels, but the boss at RK likes as little backspace as possible.

The reason I say 4.5 backspace is the minimum is because 4.7 will rub with 37s. With 4.5 you can go up to 37s, but 35s dont look bad either.

Yoinkers
03-18-2014, 06:44 PM
I dont see any method wheels in the pics on this site.

Do you guys not like method?

Snarf77
03-18-2014, 07:32 PM
I dont see any method wheels in the pics on this site.

Do you guys not like method?

I don't have anything against method wheels. I know that personally, I don't like any solid black wheels. That is truly because every jeep seems to have black wheels. Ross' wheels are polished aluminum and black and it really sets them off from the pack. I did mine in a custom powder coat to go for a completely different look.

JeepLab
03-18-2014, 07:39 PM
I like methods. Ive seen their backspace is kinda high.

They make nice beadlocks. I dont think you can go wrong with them. Make sure you figure out your tire size. 35s? You are probably ok with 4.7 if you dont wheel hard.

Truly tho, you need to be prepared to upgrade past 35s. With that in mind, 4.5 is the minimum backspace.

Rexx19
03-19-2014, 10:46 AM
With the stock bumper, you will rub with even those 305 Duratracs 34" AND 4.5" BS, when your off road and fully articulated.

Something to be mindful of. If your going that way, look into Snarf's Stock bumper mod where he cut the ends off.

Not a bad idea to go for a little less backspace.

Ive ever heard someone say... I wish i had more backspace. (4.5+)

Ive defiantly seen rubbing and tire damage and people saying they WISH they had less backspace.

JeepLab
03-19-2014, 01:32 PM
With the stock bumper, you will rub with even those 305 Duratracs 34" AND 4.5" BS, when your off road and fully articulated.

Something to be mindful of. If your going that way, look into Snarf's Stock bumper mod where he cut the ends off.

Not a bad idea to go for a little less backspace.

Ive ever heard someone say... I wish i had more backspace. (4.5+)

Ive defiantly seen rubbing and tire damage and people saying they WISH they had less backspace.

I can co-sign this also. I got into the bumper once with the duratracs and the stock bumper. It made a terrible noise and I thought I'd broken the axle. SNAP, SNAP, SNAP! as the lugs dug into the bumper and let go.

Deola
03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
I have the aev saverge wheels and a fellow keeper told me the other day that because of back spacing I couldn't run 37s on them, but I see people doing it everyday. Including Aev on their own rigs. Back spacing is 5.2, and offset is +10mm. Any value to this. Fellow jeeper also works at a shop that sells wheels...