PDA

View Full Version : Shocks have me SHOCKED!

Yoinkers
03-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Ok, super rookie question here.

How serious are shocks. They stabilize the spring, but Im not racing, and when Im off road, ill be crawling.

Do I need to put a lot of money into shocks?

Is the difference between cheap shocks and expensive shocks noticeable?

Rexx19
03-24-2014, 05:30 PM
For your uses, I'd suggest going cheap and saving money to put elsewhere.

Guys in this forum love RK shocks, Fox is big, but really, you just need enough to stablilize the spring and keep the correct articulation.

Go cheap on this and upgrade later...when you start running out of stuff to do to your rig...(like that will ever happen)

Yoinkers
03-25-2014, 12:36 PM
This is finally some good news.

I was thinking the bilstein 5100s were the route for me. Then i heard that AEV's bilsteins are "specially tuned"

Im not sure I buy that. I think its probably smoke.

You can find these pretty cheap also, and they are still considered a premium shock. Now I just have to get to the bottom of what lift I want so I can zero in on a size requirement for the shock.

JeepLab
03-25-2014, 07:02 PM
This is finally some good news.

I was thinking the bilstein 5100s were the route for me. Then i heard that AEV's bilsteins are "specially tuned"

Im not sure I buy that. I think its probably smoke.

You can find these pretty cheap also, and they are still considered a premium shock. Now I just have to get to the bottom of what lift I want so I can zero in on a size requirement for the shock.

I think you've got a good grip on this.

If you go cheap on shocks early and then later your not satisfied, you can probably sell the 5100s. They are very desirable as they are the standard entry level shock.

If you go no name brand, You'll have to throw them out.

If you really want to get crazy in the future, you'll want a remote reservoir, But you may NEVER feel like these dont cut it.

Pznivy
03-26-2014, 04:41 PM
I think you've got a good grip on this.

If you go cheap on shocks early and then later your not satisfied, you can probably sell the 5100s. They are very desirable as they are the standard entry level shock.

If you go no name brand, You'll have to throw them out.

If you really want to get crazy in the future, you'll want a remote reservoir, But you may NEVER feel like these dont cut it.

This is sound advice, I think you could sell 5100s in the secondary market.

But like JL says, you might never feel the need to.