PDA

View Full Version : Black Betty Get Overhauled....Again. Rock Krawler Long Arm

JeepLab
03-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Yep you've seen it before.

BB is going under the knife again at Rock Krawler this weekend.

We are installing the 3 Link Front and Rear Long Arm Kit.

JeepLab
03-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Here is a link to the kit that we are going to install -

http://www.rockkrawler.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RKJKCOMP25

JeepLab
03-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Here is a pic of what the kit looks like.

All the upper and lower control arms are coming out.

We are going to weld on new mounts

She rides great and crawls great now, I don't see how we can improve,

but RK has new beefier joints so we should see better articulation... TWIST!

Rexx19
03-26-2014, 01:33 PM
This is like giving the mona lisa a boob job.

You have lost your mind!

Pznivy
03-26-2014, 04:38 PM
This is like giving the mona lisa a boob job.

You have lost your mind!

The mona lisa could use a boob job.

And a long arm is never a bad idea. They should come from the factory with long arms.

JeepLab
03-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Im interested to see how much more articulation we can get out of just a 2.5 inch lift

Yoinkers
03-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Isnt there a mathematical limit of articulation inside 2.5 inches?

JeepLab
03-26-2014, 05:33 PM
I think the extra articulation comes from the pivot point.

The 3 link will twist more easily because its not fighting an upper and lower control arm. Just one arm on either side.

I think more than just up and down, it will be more a of a true "twist"

Deola
03-27-2014, 10:59 AM
How bout I drive mine there and get the exact lift you have then we will have the same set up with different power adders and really thrash some tests.

JeepLab
03-27-2014, 11:14 AM
How bout I drive mine there and get the exact lift you have then we will have the same set up with different power adders and really thrash some tests.

If you're serious, Im on board. Rausch Creek is 2.5 hours from here.

JeepLab
03-29-2014, 09:47 AM
At rk ! Nate is grinding the LCA MOUNTS off585

JeepLab
03-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Going to Yukon 4.88s and chrome axle shafts

JeepLab
03-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Hang in there everyone, I've got lot of stuff coming, I'm not actually at rock krawler right now.

There were about 6 guys working at once so me and my cam ducked out.

Yoinkers
03-29-2014, 07:48 PM
Funny you have gotten the camera in some spots where I think the guys working would have wacked you with a ratchet.

UselessPickles
03-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Im interested to see how much more articulation we can get out of just a 2.5 inch lift

Looks like more than a 2.5" lift:

4 doors will generally achieve 4" of front lift and 3" of rear lift. 2 doors will generally achieve 4.5" of front lift and 3.5" of rear lift. These dimensions are based on fully upfitted JK's!

Snarf77
03-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Its probably closer to 3.5 based on the last time I saw her.

JeepLab
03-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Hard to tell how much lift Ive got overall, with the steel front bumper and winch, and the stock rear bumper.

When we get BB and JG side by side, JG should be 1 inch taller..... we'll see.

By the same reasoning, BB should be 5 inches taller than Sweet Pea. (stock tires unlifted) We will have to measure that too.

JeepLab
03-30-2014, 05:18 PM
As you can tell, Im back from Rock Krawler,

The 3 link front and 3 link rear are in, It was windy on the way home, and I had a truck full of take off parts.

So it was a little squirrely, but I think that was the wind pushing me around on the highway.

The gears are new, so I was babying them, so I cant really give a review on the overall change in ride quality.

It should be softer than before, but really, I just walked in the door and cant speak to it.

Ive got to get the gears broken in so I can beat on it a little.

Snarf77
03-31-2014, 12:16 PM
Hard to tell how much lift Ive got overall, with the steel front bumper and winch, and the stock rear bumper.

When we get BB and JG side by side, JG should be 1 inch taller..... we'll see.

By the same reasoning, BB should be 5 inches taller than Sweet Pea. (stock tires unlifted) We will have to measure that too.

We'll definitely pick a common location on the frame and figure out the differences. My narrower wheel may give me another quarter inch as well.

Pznivy
04-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Where's the review here?

You've had those 3 links in for a few days now... First thoughts?

I always hate my truck when I make a big change. I hope you are not in the post change depression...LOL

At some point with a truck like Black Betty that is a tasteful blend of street and trail, You have to be carefull not to go too far to trail, as she lives in the street.

Yoinkers
04-04-2014, 07:18 PM
No way to not like that kind of elaborate suspension mod.

Probably feels wierd at first, but get it in the dirt and rocks. The twist should be out of this world.

JeepLab
04-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Where's the review here?

You've had those 3 links in for a few days now... First thoughts?

I always hate my truck when I make a big change. I hope you are not in the post change depression...LOL

At some point with a truck like Black Betty that is a tasteful blend of street and trail, You have to be carefull not to go too far to trail, as she lives in the street.

I too have experienced issues right after changes, and then i wind up loving the changes.

This one is a little different I geared during this change, and the axles are leaking, so im not in my fun "lets wheel it" zone.

She is a little more trail than before, but still good in the street.

Once i solve the axle problems, Ill be able to tell you better.

JeepLab
04-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Here are some shots!

The RK boys had to cut and grind the hell out of the underside of black betty. Heres how it looked.

Pznivy
04-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Waiting FOREVER for this review... Is betty sick?

JeepLab
04-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Waiting FOREVER for this review... Is betty sick?

This was a rough one. I geared her when we did the long arm. And I felt she was over geared. So the 4.88s came out yesturday and the 4.56's went in.

I also changed over to the chromoly axles from yukon, and the tone ring hasnt behaved. So Ive been bruised a little on this one.

Finally the truck needs alignment whenever you lift, and this lift was more invasive than others before it. So she isnt quite right yet.

Good to keep in mind, that this stuff happens when you push changes so far. You an expect some hiccups, but we are sorting them out, and there is nothing terrible.