PDA

View Full Version : Factory Fender Chop

WhiteRavenRR
04-04-2014, 12:18 PM
I can't take the credit for being the person to come up with this idea but it is functional and can be aesthetically pleasing at the same time. The nice thing about doing your own chop is that you can give your own Jeep a look all it's own depending on how wide or narrow you go and how you decide to chop the front of the flares to meet your own design.

Let's face it, aftermarket fenders aren't cheap whether they are plastic, steel, or aluminum. Would I like a set of steel or aluminum fenders? Yes. Do I want to pay the outrageous price for a full set? No. Will I? Eventually. Until then I decided to give the old fenders a face lift.

It all started with the thought that I wanted to keep as much width as possible while gaining some overall height in the wheel wells. I also wanted to keep a very nice line on the front of the front fenders without looking too hokey. Yes, I said hokey. You read it right.

This mod also falls under one of those cheap but functional mods. If you have factory fenders and a means to cut, as well as the cajones to do it then you can afford it!

Start by using blue painters tape to lay out your lines along the fenders. Remember to measure twice and cut once. Once you lay the tape out, it will give you a rough idea what it should look like with a little imagination.

The next step is the hardest step of all and that involves getting the courage to actually go through with the process. You spent all that time taping off you might as well go through with it at this point. Right?

I used a Dremel tool to cut mine as I felt it was more precise in the look I was going for. You can use a Dremel, a rotary saw, or even an air saw if you have one. Just take your time and don't get carried away. I also removed my inner liners before I started and then trimmed them to fit afterwards. I removed my rear liners all together and bed-lined the wheel wells.

Here are some pics of my process:

WhiteRavenRR
04-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Once the cutting is complete, you can smooth all your edges out and then you can use door edge trim bought in a 25' roll at Pepboys or any auto parts store. It is also recommended to remove your side marker and relocate it up under and inside the wheel well. I actually went with the smaller marker light.

For any further information you can visit various other forums and YouTube for actual video footage of people doing the fender chop. As I said I'm not the first person to do this nor will I be the last. Good luck.

I am not liable for any injury or damage to anyone or any Jeep if you decide to take on this mod. Please use all precautions and safety measures including safety goggles or face shield, hearing protection, and possibly gloves.

JeepLab
04-04-2014, 12:45 PM
This Guy is on FIRE

WhiteRavenRR
04-04-2014, 03:22 PM
You were looking for write-ups, weren't you?

JeepLab
04-04-2014, 06:07 PM
You were looking for write-ups, weren't you?

Yes and a fender chop is delicate work. Pics are great.

Pznivy
04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
I love the little blinker in the fender. Nice touch.

You can make it a running light or a blinker, I think the blinkers are soo much cooler than running lights.

The first time I saw one under there, i nearly crashed into the guys truck trying to figure out what was inside there.

Yoinkers
04-04-2014, 07:12 PM
This RIGHT in my budget.

Gotta have a STEADY hand for this one.... I think they look muscular.

WhiteRavenRR
04-04-2014, 10:31 PM
I love the little blinker in the fender. Nice touch.

Yes mine are tied into the blinkers.

JeepLab
04-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Yes mine are tied into the blinkers.

Well done.

My side markers were just running lights until now, when the flares go back they will be blinkers also.

Snarf77
04-16-2014, 04:35 PM
This is a really great and really functional mod. With all but a couple flare systems, you get the exact same thing with this mod as you do going aftermarket. More room to tuck your larger tires combined with a more aggressive look. I was 100% going to do this and even have the door edge trim new in the garage. Then I went metalcloak.

Great job and solid write-up.