Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
Well, mine is an uneducated opinion, but seat of the pants feel and may not be all that useful. I recently changed my tires from 225/75-16's to 285/75-16's both running on the stock steel wheels and 3.73 gears. Can I tell there was a change, absolutely, plus the tires with 35 psi measure 31.75", I recalibrated with a procal and got the speedo within .6 mph. I have lost about 1.2 mpg, based upon the last 5 hour road trip that included a lot of slow hill driving on tight forest roads. The JK did great both on highway and offroad. Would 4.10's give me better acceleration, yes. Do I want to waste money on regearing for these tires no, especially since I plan in the long run to change out axle housings and gears in the future and putting on larger tires. But for now this is a DD and it isn't necessary to change them at this time. If I had 3.21 with 33" tires and wanted to change I would look for a set of 3.73's from someone who needed 4.10 or something smaller.

Must say Jeep Lab great write up. I like the other forums, but have been finding myself coming here for a lot of information lately.
1. why change housings? Run that D30 till you break it. If you want to toughen it up, do an artec armor kit. Especially if you dont think your going to make it to 35s.

2. definatly look for gear take offs, if your not looking to go past 4.10.

3. I would help others do gears and learn to do it yourself. That will really cut the expense. Ive watched once and i think i have a grip on how to do it now.

4. ROCK LOBSTA!!! - I saw a winterchill jk a few weeks ago. It was the only time i envied another guys color. My black xpel wrapped paint is timelessly beautiful, but there are 300 winterchill rubicons on earth. How may rock lobsters are there? Not many. Great color choice. BOLD!