Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
    Well, mine is an uneducated opinion, but seat of the pants feel and may not be all that useful. I recently changed my tires from 225/75-16's to 285/75-16's both running on the stock steel wheels and 3.73 gears. Can I tell there was a change, absolutely, plus the tires with 35 psi measure 31.75", I recalibrated with a procal and got the speedo within .6 mph. I have lost about 1.2 mpg, based upon the last 5 hour road trip that included a lot of slow hill driving on tight forest roads. The JK did great both on highway and offroad. Would 4.10's give me better acceleration, yes. Do I want to waste money on regearing for these tires no, especially since I plan in the long run to change out axle housings and gears in the future and putting on larger tires. But for now this is a DD and it isn't necessary to change them at this time. If I had 3.21 with 33" tires and wanted to change I would look for a set of 3.73's from someone who needed 4.10 or something smaller.

Must say Jeep Lab great write up. I like the other forums, but have been finding myself coming here for a lot of information lately.
    1. why change housings? Run that D30 till you break it. If you want to toughen it up, do an artec armor kit. Especially if you dont think your going to make it to 35s.

2. definatly look for gear take offs, if your not looking to go past 4.10.

3. I would help others do gears and learn to do it yourself. That will really cut the expense. Ive watched once and i think i have a grip on how to do it now.

4. ROCK LOBSTA!!! - I saw a winterchill jk a few weeks ago. It was the only time i envied another guys color. My black xpel wrapped paint is timelessly beautiful, but there are 300 winterchill rubicons on earth. How may rock lobsters are there? Not many. Great color choice. BOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Let's not discount the categorical colors in the chart. First, I'm speaking as a person with a naturally aspirated 3.6 Rubicon 6MT 2door. I recently added my lift and 37' KM2s and geared to 4.88. I also did a ton of research and chose 4.88s specifically for the improved gear ratio for crawling off road, even with my Rubicon T-case. The color charts above, even with at 36" actual tire size, put me at a low/middle mark in the "blue" or performance category. This is great to me and she drives better than stock around town when accelerating at in-town speeds, up to 60mph or there abouts. Point is, though I have the 4.88s, my vehicle's use is different from Ross' (e.g. 80mph highway) and I made the decision to gear at 4.88. Seems great for now, and I'm very happy. The most highway driving I'll do in Jesse's Girl will be about 2 hours to the off road park. I have a second 40mpg vehicle for the highway.

The REAL test will be when I move to forced induction adding more power and torque. I see Ross' point being entirely probable in the prediction that when I have more power, the same 4.88 gears that made my jeep drive well with 37s, could actually serve to hold my jeep hostage to the new found power.

If that is the case, then so be it and I'll have to make the change. Either way, I'll let everyone in Jeeplab know my opinion as objectively as possible!

Hang on to those 4.10s. You may be going back....

soooo the sc works kinda like gears itself?

One day this will be a dedicated offroad vehicle and I am sure the D30 will be broke before it is changed out. I wasn't sold on the Lobster at first, but man I have grown to love it. There aren't many around, and they were discounting the price to get rid of this one instead of ordering a 2014.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

First time posting! Just picked up a 2014 JKU lifted with 35" tires.

Thanks JeepLab for all your article, posts and write-ups. I have been following the supercharger article for about 2 weeks now and I'm excited to pick up a Magnuson SC in the next few months. I found your post here very timely as I've been driving around in my new JKU and considering gearing. I have a 4" lift, 35" tires (and as you said, they actually _measure_ 34") and 3.73 gears. As I've driven down the highway at 70 to 75 mph, I have certainly seen that the Jeeps don't handle 6th gear very well there, in fact you are rarely in 6th gear. I can appreciate everyone wanting to re-gear, but as I've read, I had already been coming to the same conclusion as you, people are really messed up about gearing.

For me... I just came from a 2009 Audi A4 with the 2.0T engine (chipped.) That thing was a little rocket at any speed. Here's the thing I find interesting and what I took away from driving that vs. my JKU. Everyone seems to think they are suppose to be able to cruise in 6th gear at highway speeds all the time, and maybe even overtake/pass in that gear. Well, my little rocket of an Audi would cruise in 6th at highway speeds, but when I went to overtake, it dropped down pretty quick to a lower gear (sometimes all the way to 3rd.) 6th gear simply didn't have overtaking power (within reason, it did at 100mph) and that's why the car had 6 gears. That last gear was for economy, and it would drop to 5th in a second to go up a hill. Shoot, now they have 8 gears. Can you imagine an 8 speed JKU and everyone trying to gear for the 8th gear to be able to overtake at highways speeds. Ugh...

I keep reading about people re-gearing a Jeep to try to get 6th gear cruising above 2000 RPM at 70 mph, and I'm thinking, ARE YOU CRAZY!!! Once you gear that high, your screwed, you can't magically drop the RPM's back down to get good gas mileage. However, if you are geared so 6th gear has lower RPMs at highway speed, you can ALWAYS drop down to 5th gear to get the RPM's up. Long story short, I came to the same conclusion you did, be slower to re-gear a Jeep vs. what everyone else is saying. Seems like the majority of the issues with lower RPM's and highway speeds would be resolved with more power (like a supercharger.) At this point, I'm convinced if I do re-gear after getting an SC, I'm not going above 4.11 gearing.

Another case in point... My wife drives a 2013 Ford F350. That has a monster turbo on it that can pump in 40 psi to the engine The other day I was driving at highway speeds and the truck was in sixth gear, and the turbo was registering a constant 4 to 5 psi of boost the entire time on a level highway while the RPM's were down at around 1700 or 1800. Tap the gas slightly and the boost kicked in quick so that it didn't have to drop to 5th gear as quickly, but it still would if you pressed more. My experience with all of my different vehicles over the years has me feeling like I'd rather spend the money on a supercharger and see how 3.73 gears perform with an added extra 100+ hp. I have to assume that the extra 100hp at highway speed with a touch of constant boost like my Ford does will do plenty to help compensate for an RPM range designed for better gas mileage.

Anyway, just my two cents. I'm sure I'll get plenty of comments like "newbie that hasn't driven in the mountains" (I'm from Colorado, BTW, plenty of mountain driving) to "wait until you have the vehicle for more than a week."

Thanks again JeepLab.
    Last edited by Timmy; 04-16-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: I don't have a 35" lift, I have 35" tires ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post

Anyway, just my two cents. I'm sure I'll get plenty of comments like "newbie that hasn't driven in the mountains" (I'm from Colorado, BTW, plenty of mountain driving) to "wait until you have the vehicle for more than a week."

Thanks again JeepLab.
    WELCCOME!

I doubt you'll get those responses here.

Gotta look at the pentastar with fresh eyes. People who are hard core about gearing are usually people coming from JKs and older jeeps with the 3.8 liter engine or earlier. Those truck needed gears.

Maybe those guys have bought 12s and up, but their brains are trapped in 3.8 thinking.

Regearing is good. but you just have to be smart about it. And see it for what it is. Its the WORST thing to have to do twice.

The ideas in this thread are definitely not going along with mainstream opinion. I like that you are not afraid to disagree with the public at large.

objectivity.

Now. that being said. I am about to regear. Do you guys have a brand you like? I see you used all yukon stuff. They are a little more expensive, what made you go with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    The ideas in this thread are definitely not going along with mainstream opinion. I like that you are not afraid to disagree with the public at large.

objectivity.

Now. that being said. I am about to regear. Do you guys have a brand you like? I see you used all yukon stuff. They are a little more expensive, what made you go with them?
    I think all gears come from some korean factory... but yukon is the way to go for service. The guys there, will not allow a problem. Somethings wrong? They will get to the bottom of it....And not just try to sell you more stuff to try again.

Rexx got it right.

Yukon is going to be in my estimation the closest thing to mopar gears. A hint of a problem, and the Yukon guys go into disection mode. They get to the bottom of a buzzz, a wrrrrrrrr, anything you can describe, they will spring to correct.

It also helps that yukons very rarely need correction.

You really need to pick a good shop that is close to your house. once the new stuff goes in, you dont want to drive far.

I'm Baaacccckkkk. This is a great write up! Several excellent points made, after my install I will have some more to add.