Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here is the shot with the abs ring pressed on backward.

Its got a wide opening on one side, and a narrow opening on the other.

I realized it when I saw how far past the ring the sensor was. My heart broke when I realized I had to rip it all apart again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2 (11).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	751

Pulled it out and had to cut the rings off. ABS ring, seal, berring,

Pressed it all back together and as far as i know, it all works now. knock wood. I didnt drive very far.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Pulled it out and had to cut the rings off. ABS ring, seal, berring,

Pressed it all back together and as far as i know, it all works now. knock wood. I didnt drive very far.
    Dude...lights out now? Still? Been two days!

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Dude...lights out now? Still? Been two days!
    I only drove it for 5 min once i thought i fixed it, then it rained for 2 days, and I hate putting the top up. So she sits in the garage.

Now im gone for a week so dont hold your breath, Im pretty sure I fixed it tho, and this one goes down in history as one of the most difficult mods of my career. Not because of faulty gear, the yukon stuff is top notch.

I had gotten the axles about a year before I installed them, and they went thru a move from one location to another. In the box come 2 axles for the rear. They are in the box opposite one another. The end of one axle sits right next to the tone ring (abs ring) of the other axle. During shipping or us moving it, the one axle bashed the tone ring on the other, nothing major, but one tooth was damaged and the sensor would freak out at high speeds as the one tooth would throw off the sensor's math.

Then we did it again and the tone ring was pressed on backward. This i didnt realize until after install when the senor really went nuts all the time.

Mind you, everytime you take the axle out you are risking damaging the bearings that will make noise. Also you are spilling oil on the ground right where you are working each time.

So we put in and took out the passenger rear axle about 3 or 4 times. By the end, you are working in a puddle of oil trying not to damage the bearing....etc.

Im glad its over. I know everything about axles now tho.