Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Headlight Upgrades...Who's Done What?

Not much of an article here...LOL

I'm just beginning to look into headlight upgrades. I dont want to spend 700 bucks on JW speaker or that kind of price range.

Im looking for an HID kit maybe?

anyone done this already?

I cleaned the mud off my headlights, and that seemed to improve brightness a bit. A lot cheaper than $700.

I have been doing the samething. Only issue I realized is that if you have fog lights... you are going to need to change them as well. HID or even Xenon light kits will make your headlights brighter than you fogs.
    Also there are people who make conversion kits. Prety much just a bolt on system to your original headlight system. Last I heard from a friend they are about 250 a pair. Same guy was able to do fog light conversion as well.

These guys seem to have a good solution,

one kit is 199, the other is 79.

I was thinking of doing the 199 for the headlights, and 79s for the fogs.

http://www.carhidkits.com/50w-resist...-pack-378.html

At least five people I know with JK's went with an HID upgrade kit. 18 months later we have all ripped them out in favour of a true LED headlight. Of all the kits, mine lasted the longest, but eventually they all failed. They were all $200+ kits. The others all went with the second generation trucklites as replacements, but I had KC's new led offering shipped out to me. A brief Internet search lead me to believe that guys who had first hand experience with both brands were leaning towards the KC's so I thought I'd give them a whirl.

The Hid's seem like a cost effective band aid type solution...great idea if you want better light right now, but would rather differ the larger cost of LEDs until next year or so when they fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Anotheruserid View Post
    At least five people I know with JK's went with an HID upgrade kit. 18 months later we have all ripped them out in favour of a true LED headlight. Of all the kits, mine lasted the longest, but eventually they all failed. They were all $200+ kits. The others all went with the second generation trucklites as replacements, but I had KC's new led offering shipped out to me. A brief Internet search lead me to believe that guys who had first hand experience with both brands were leaning towards the KC's so I thought I'd give them a whirl.

The Hid's seem like a cost effective band aid type solution...great idea if you want better light right now, but would rather differ the larger cost of LEDs until next year or so when they fail.
    Show us a pic of the KCs!

I know you didn't want to go with them, but I ordered the JW Speaker kit (headlight and foglights). I have a meter and will take some measurements of stock and the JW's at 12" and 25' once they come in and I get some free time.

Quote Originally Posted by DHewes View Post
    I know you didn't want to go with them, but I ordered the JW Speaker kit (headlight and foglights). I have a meter and will take some measurements of stock and the JW's at 12" and 25' once they come in and I get some free time.
    Thats excellent. Maybe we can get Anotheruserid to do the same with the KCs.

Lets get a standardized test going.

Yeah, I'll try to get something up but no longer have anything to compare them too. The Hid's I had melted their harness and created a short. I have no power to anything until I hardwire the new lights, effectively bypassing the stock H13 connector.

I get the spirit of a test but I don't need a meter to tell me that $800+ JBL's outperform stock jk lights; or they sure as fuck better. And then there's the economics of it- my bank account meter tells me it doesn't matter how the JBL'S perform. That said, there is really only a couple others on the market. They have similar ish designs and price point so it's likely a coin toss. Yes ish is a word. Or it should be.
    Last edited by Anotheruserid; 04-28-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Im gonna get in on the headlight slugfest... Truck-Lites. Now. How are we going to standardize a test with the 3 of us being in different locations?