Quote Originally Posted by 2me View Post
I don't like getting passed either...

I like going fast too, the more I think about it, the more I want a high cruising speed, it is about 2,100 miles to Moab from here in Maitland, Florida.

What speeds are you talking about cruising at?

What speed is possible with 4.88, 4.56?

Will one or the other or both give me enough grunt power for climbing and wheeling?

Or since it is going to be in 4 low it wont matter?

Again, I'm totally new to the gearing.
Thanks again,
Study the truth about gears thread. There is soo much in there. Here is the short answer -

I consider "cruising" to happen at 2500 rpm or less. This is where your truck will drive without you flexing your leg to press the gas pedal to maintain speed. This is how I can tell how awful long distance would be being over geared. Driver fatigue would set in. with 4.10s, i would do 5 hrs at a clip and still be ready to continue, BECAUSE she would effortlessly cruise at 75 mph in the low 2k RPMS

with the 4.88 Gearing and the 37 inch km2s, Betty would spin close to 3k to maintain 70 mph. So it was a drastic loss in cruise for me. Keeping my foot on the gas to maintain highway speed made me want to die.

Changed again to 4.56 and lost some of the pure crawl of the 4.88s. but she can cruise at 70mph at about 2300 rpm, so at 2500 im at about 73mph. And I can live with that. Acceleration is better, and crawl is better than 4.10s, but without completely turning betty into a pig on the highway.