Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drive shaft

Drive shaft

Hi,
    Newbie here...
    I'm starting to build up my Jeep Unlimited Sport this summer.
    I'm starting with Metal Cloak 3.5 lift & fenders.
    What brand drive shaft do you recommend?
    I've heard about Tom Wood and Coast with Spicer u-joints.
    Also what brand of gears?
    I'll be using 5.13 gears, just don't know brands.
    What have you used?
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Jimbo

Welcome to the forums!

I've heard good things about Tom Wood driveshafts. I'm only running 2.5" lift so I haven't had to mess with them.

Why the 5.13 gears? That will be a small pinion on a Dana 30 front axle. What's the biggest size tires that you plan to run? Again, 35" tires will be pushing it. I'm not saying that you can't go bigger. That's a whole different debate that I'm not getting into. Are you running a manual or auto, 3.8 or 3.6? What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing and how often?

There's more details in choosing the right equipment that you need to elaborate on.

The Metalcloak lift is a nice looking lift from what I can tell online. I would like to see one in person someday.

Again, welcome to the forums and good luck on the build. Post some pics as you go along.

Keith

Hey Keith!

Thank you for the welcome!

OK here are some details:
    2014 Unlimited 3.6 automatic 3.21 gears stock tires an wheels (and it is slow).
    I bought it knowing we will build it up for running trails, so we bought a Sport since we will be replacing a lot of stuff.

My wife and I both teach, so we have weekends (and it still amazes me, even after all of these years, we have the entire summers off).
    So we plan to join the local Jeep clubs and have fun here in Florida, then as we get more experienced with the Jeep we will branch out to other states.
    Our goal is to travel out West and travel the Western trails, Easter Jeep week.
    So we will be wheeling at least two times a month during the school year and as much as financially possible during the summer months.
    I only drive 14 miles to work so that is not a big deal as a dd.

I've lusted after Jeeps for decades, and finally got a chance to buy one, my only regret is not buying one in my younger years.

The Jeep is being built around the 37" tires, that way we will be able to tackle every thing from here in Florida and out West.

I'm a believer in "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

Parts:
    So we are getting 37" Nitto Trail Grabbers, with ATX Beadlock wheels
    5.13 gears
    Artec Axel truss
    eventually chrome molly shafts

I ordered the Metal Cloak 3.5 suspension with the six pack and Metal Cloak fenders, Front bumper, and rock rails, LED light.
    Pretty much a full wrap except for the rear bumper/tire carrier.
    I ordered them from Metal Cloak this weekend since they are having free shipping for the Memorial day weekend!
    Saved a bunch in shipping cost!

I do need to get a front drive shaft before the kit arrives.
    But I am not familiar with the reputation of the different brands...

I'll take some pics starting as stock and as it's built up.

Thanks again!

Sounds like you have a plan. Make sure you get some gussets for the inner C's. Those are some big wheels and tires to be running on a Dana 30 front axle and a 5.13 R&P. Go easy on the skinny pedal. You may end up replacing the whole front axle and/ or axle shafts sooner rather than later.

Hey All!

I was marooned on a desert island, but im back.

Raven, thanks for watching the place. LOL

2me, Here's my opinion on your shopping list -

-37s Good, but, the grappler is a heavy tire. If you are not planning a power mod, you should consider shopping for the lightest possible tire to preserve the power of your 3.6.

-5.13s, This is a LOT of gear. If you are planning to get on board with Jeeping around the country, Easter Jeep etc, you will have to take some road trips. Road trips mean you will want to cruise on the highway also. The auto has a very low first gear. If you havent driven a Jeep with 37s, anything above 4.10 will be a new world coming from 3.21 gears.

When you look at the widely accepted "gears chart" make sure you are reading the line for 35" tires. Your 37s are really 35s according to that chart. I cost me a BUNDLE to learn this.

I think 4.88s is the sweet spot for what you are trying to do. As far as a gear company, YUKON. You might spend a little more for them, but they are silent, and the customer service is unparralelled. I just had a devil of a time with axles and the yukon guys completely hung in there with me while we trouble shot the system with a bunch of variables.

Artec axle truss - I LOVE IT> I think it makes the D30 into a D44 durability wise. So go ahead and rock the 37s confidently.

Welcome back! I tried to keep the place clean.

Hey Ross,
    Thank you for your response.
    What would be considered a light tire?

I bought the Jeep lifetime warranty, I still lose sleep over that decision...
    But I'm concerned that supercharging will cause a problem with the warranty, your thoughts?

I was reading the 37" part of the chart.
    How do I calculate the RPM and optimal gear for the highway speeds?

Any other thoughts on this build?

Quote Originally Posted by 2me View Post
    Hey Ross,
    Thank you for your response.
    What would be considered a light tire?

I bought the Jeep lifetime warranty, I still lose sleep over that decision...
    But I'm concerned that supercharging will cause a problem with the warranty, your thoughts?

Any other thoughts on this build?
    I love the build. Jesse (snarf) just did a full game changer so he can answer any questions about that. He hasnt done drive shafts yet.

If you go to tire rack, they show you the tire's weight. The lightest when I last looked was the BFG KM2.

wheels are also important. they need to be light to. BB's wheel tire combo is around 100lbs. They are the lightest 37's im aware of on earth.

Black Betty, Sweet Pea, Jessee's Girl, all wear bfg KM2s. Tonka wears Mudd Grapplers. That is a tire I'd avoid.

The Second Runner Up to the KM2 was the goodyear MTR thats a little heavier, but people say its more "true to size". If you get that im going to want a full review.

Everything is going to feel like a dog with the gears you have. Ignore that and make a good decision with the gear chart. You do not want to tear your truck's spine out more than once. You dont want wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sounds from your axles if a berring gets damaged, or a seal.

There is a lot that can go wrong that will leave nagging problems. So pick the right gear ratio the first time. And the right shop. Somewhere close to home.

Warranty- if you cancel it when its new, they give your money back. If you want a turbo or a supercharger, cancel it. Your already gearing, so the gears, carrier, axles, all have voided warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by 2me View Post
    your truck is comfortable under 2500 rpm. if you naturally cruise at 70mph, find the gear that is highest, but not over 2500 rpm at 70 mph.

I think I like 4.56 for your gear set. Others will say im nuts. At 4.88 you will struggle to get to 70.

If 70 is slow, and you want to cruise faster, 4.10s.

I'd rather have more power for wheeling down the trails than speeding down the highway, that said, I can tolerate 70 mph or less on a highway trip, this Jeep is for wheeling!

I will call and cancel the lifetime warranty, that will
    give me more immediate cash for the first part of the build up.

Update:
    Checked on the lifetime policy, I can cancel it with a 5% loss. However the rest of the money goes to the lien holder - my bank.

FYI (I'm sure you know this already)
    If you intend to do any mods, it's best not to get the extended or lifetime warranty).

I immediately regretted buying that warranty.
    Because I bought the jeep with the intention of building it up for wheeling.
    But since I keep my trucks for a very long time.
    I thought it was a great idea at the moment.

Hey Snarf !
    How do you like you MC Game Changer lift?
    2.5 or 3.5" lift?
    What shocks did you get?
    Anything you would do differently?

Thanks again,
    Jim
    Last edited by 2me; 05-27-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Updated lifetime warrenty info.