Close

Swaybar Link Disconnect Brackets

The other day I was out looking for another cheap mod to pass the time and came up with making a set of brackets to hold the swaybar links up out of the way when disconnected offroad.

I looked around the garage to see what I had laying around and noticed I had a couple 1/2-13x4" bolts and the light bulb lit up.

I proceeded to disconnect my swaybar links to measure the distance up to the side of the frame where I would mount the bolts. Using my trusty Sharpie marker I marked the spot while allowing my swaybar to remain relatively level. I then drilled the spot and brought the hole to a whopping 1/2". As I brought out the tap, the darn hole was just a tad too big to tap some threads into. Grrrrrrrr! Back to the drawing board...

At this point I decided I would just drill through the frame and tighten it down with a nut on both sides. Well, then Mr. Murphy (Murphy's Law) reared its ugly head...again. Now my 4" bolts weren't long enough. So I needed a break, and a beer, then I proceeded to walk to my neighbors house to see what he had in his garage. We got to talking about the project I had going on and lo and behold he happened to have a stick of 1/2-13 All-Thread stashed somewhere. BOOM! I was back in business. I double-timed it across our fresh cut grass and got back to work.

Once I drilled through the frame and put a nut on the back side of the All-Thread, I measured with my trusty eyeball to the length I needed, plus extra, to hold the swaybar links. After getting the correct lengths dialed in with the links going on and coming off several times to make sure, I removed them and headed to my drill press to drill out the holes for the Cotter-Pins.

I had everything mocked up and it worked like a champ on both sides! w00t! I was so excited that I didn't get the total length measurements of my All-Thread. Different links will require different lengths anyway. I'm running Rock Krawler links and they are the bomb (all biases aside).

Let's get to some eye-candy of my finished product:

Before disconnecting:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00111.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	785

Passenger side (driver side looks the same):
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]786[/ATTACH

Disconnected:

Name:	DSC00107.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	788

Name:	DSC00108.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	789

After the install I decided to touch up my handy work by painting the final product to blend it into the frame. Needless to say my neighbor, whom I mentioned earlier, came over the next day and didn't even notice what the hell I did. Succes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00105.jpg   DSC00106.jpg  

I don't know what happened with the uploading of the photos but I think you get the picture. Hahaha, no pun intended!

The material list includes:
    -1/2-13 All-Thread (different links may require a different size and cut to a different length)
    -1/2-13 Nuts (x4)
    -1/2" Washer (x2)
    -1/2" Lock Washer (x2)
    -1/2" Drill Bit
    -11/32" Drill Bit (Cotter Pin hole)
    -Paint (to prevent rust)

Like I said, this was specific to my application, all sizes/ lengths may need to be adjusted for your particular application.

Those with Rubicons need not bother, you're 'Special' as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR View Post

Those with Rubicons need not bother, you're 'Special' as it is.
    BB is a rubi, but i always manually disconnect. This is a very cool mod. We are always scrambling for a zip tie or shoe lace or something....

The bungees from a SpiderWebShade will always work in a pinch.