Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sledge Hammer Testing. Yes that's right.

The stock diff cover held up better than expected. After seeing the punishment it took, i feel less that changing them immediatly is less neccessary than I thought.

The stock cover however didnt survive the testing.

The Poison spyder bombshell did however. This exact diff cover will be installed soon.

Once you install one of these your gears are safe as can be.

Last edited by JeepLab; 02-16-2014 at 08:49 PM.

I could watch those diff covers get hit with hammers all day.

the most eye opening thing about that video is that the stock diff cover held up so well.

Makes you think twice before dumping 200 bucks on diff covers.

Has anyone out there damaged the stock diff covers to a point that they were stranded on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post

the most eye opening thing about that video is that the stock diff cover held up so well.

Has anyone out there damaged the stock diff covers to a point that they were stranded on the trail?
    I felt the same way, Moved Diff Covers to the back of the priority list when I saw how the stockers hung in there. I wont hit anything hard off road.

Crawling over stuff will not generate the same pounds per square inch as that sledge hammer does. How many times does he hit the thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post

This is a good question, We have never seen damaged diff covers ending someone's day offroad.

and this video made us feel the same about the stock diff cover. Sweet Pea, our magnuson SC truck still has stock diff covers installed. And we will wheel her like that.

Here's the aftermath.

the Poison Spyder, was fit to install. And was installed later. The stock dif cover was not so lucky.

Although, the stock dif cover did hold up FAR better than expected. We hit them a lot with the sledge hammer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000488.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	303

Name:	P1000493.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	304

Name:	P1000489.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	305

Keep in mind that the sledge hammer is pretty blunt, dropping the front half of a 4000lb JK onto a pointy piece of rock may have catastrophic results on that stamped steel. By the way, we need more tests like this. Does anyone have something I can smash?