Close

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Early driving impressions (based on VERY limited driving time with notoriously inaccurate butt dyno!)...

It "feels" about the same as stock at low rpms, up to somewhere around 2000-2500 rpm.

Somewhere in the 2000-2500 rpm range, it starts "feeling" noticeably quicker.

Around 3000 rpm, the wastegate starts sounding off, and you begin to grin.

Around 3500 rpm, the wastegate is singing it's heart out, you and your passenger start giggling like Beavis and Butthead.

Starting around 4000 rpm, there's no question that you've about doubled how quickly the jeep can accelerate in that range.

The wastegate sound is truly addicting.

I really like how it sounds very quiet and essentially stock while idling and gently driving around town.
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 06-21-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Nice to hear that. I know its not legal, but would love to see a comparison with others like GC SRT. If I installed one, I will definitely add boost gauge and AFR gauge for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Early driving impressions (based on VERY limited driving time with notoriously inaccurate butt dyno!)...

It "feels" about the same as stock at low rpms, up to somewhere around 2000-2500 rpm.

Somewhere in the 2000-2500 rpm range, it starts "feeling" noticeably quicker.

Around 3000 rpm, the wastegate is singing it's heart out, you and your passenger start giggling like Beavis and Butthead.

Starting around 4000 rpm, there's no question that you've about doubled how quickly the jeep can accelerate in that range.

The wastegate sound is truly addicting.

I really like how it sounds very quiet and essentially stock while idling and gently driving around town.

That sounds exactly like my Audi 2.0T with my APR 93 Octane boost code on it. Very sluggish, and then a kick in the butt. Makes 0-8mph very slow, and then 8-100mph very fast ;-)
    2014 Jeep JKU Sahara, Manual - /OlllllllO\ - 4" Metal Cloak lift, 37" Toyo Open Country's on 20" XD Bully Rims, 4.56 Yukon gears, Mopar High Top Fenders, ARB Front Bull Bar Bumper, ARB Rear Bumper, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, Teraflex Tire Carrier Accessory Mount, Twin Rotopax mount, Hi-Lift Jack mounted on front bumper, Reverse LED work lights, Warn 9.5ti winch, Synergy Drag Link, Trackbar Relocation Bracket, AMP Power Steps, JK1001 Radio, SpiderShade.

"Very sluggish" is relative, though. Before adding the turbo, I would not have described my jeep as "very sluggish" below 2500 rpm. In stock form, it reached near peak torque just under 2000 rpm. As far as I can tell, the turbo does not make the jeep any slower below 2500 rpm, it just makes it insanely faster above 2500 rpm, which makes below 2500 feel slow by comparison. If this is anything like their kit for the 3.8 engine, then there's actually a small gain at lower rpm without any losses anywhere.

Also, just got a response about the 50 miles of light/moderate use before full throttle: it's intended to allow the driver acclimate to the increased power. So if you have experience with powerful vehicles already, just ease into it responsibly at your own pace once you have confirmed the install is fully complete with no leaks, etc. I don't have to worry about the fact that I disobeyed this instruction . I was getting worried that I may have potentially caused bad things by forgetting that instruction. No more holding back! TURBO!

"Very sluggish" is relative, though. Before adding the turbo, I would not have described my jeep as "very sluggish" below 2500 rpm. In stock form, it reached near peak torque just under 2000 rpm. As far as I can tell, the turbo does not make the jeep any slower below 2500 rpm, it just makes it insanely faster above 2500 rpm, which makes below 2500 feel slow by comparison. If this is anything like their kit for the 3.8 engine, then there's actually a small gain at lower rpm without any losses anywhere.

Also, just got a response about the 50 miles of light/moderate use before full throttle: it's intended to allow the driver acclimate to the increased power. So if you have experience with powerful vehicles already, just ease into it responsibly at your own pace once you have confirmed the install is fully complete with no leaks, etc. I don't have to worry about the fact that I disobeyed this instruction . I was getting worried that I may have potentially caused bad things by forgetting that instruction. No more holding back! TURBO!
    We need some audio! I want to hear this wastegate

audio and video would be nice. When I first saw that you had a stock sport with 16's and 29" tires, I thought you were going for the sleeper look. Can't wait to hear that turbo wine. I was surprised it isn't intercooled. Congrats on the build.
    2013 Wrangler JKU - Rock Lobster Red, Smittybilt SRC rear bumper and side steps; RR drop in reusable air filter; Quadratec floor liners; 285/75-16 Falken Rockey Mountain ATSII, Rebel Offroad grab handles and fire extinguisher holder.

Quote Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
    audio and video would be nice. When I first saw that you had a stock sport with 16's and 29" tires, I thought you were going for the sleeper look. .
    This thing is Sleeper of the Year.

Dont change a thing. Stock sport with a turbo is hysterical to me.

We need some vid of you smoking an M3.

Sleeper is what I'm going for in general. That's one thing I like about the turbo vs supercharger. The turbo doesn't announce itself until it's too late

I was surprised it isn't intercooled.
    This is only the stage 1 kit. Stage 2 (not yet released) will have an intercooler and more boost. When I upgrade to stage 2, I plan on blacking out the intercooler to continue the sleeper theme.

Can't wait to hear that turbo wine
    There's not really any turbo whine. The turbo itself seems pretty quiet. It's the "whoosh" of air through the wastegate that you mostly hear, then a slightly different "whoosh" of the pressurized intake air flowing backwards out of the air filter when you let off the throttle.

I didn't get a chance to take any video tonight because I was tinkering around with re-routing a hose slightly better and tweaking a few other details of the install. Then it started raining, and then it started RAINING. The rain was so heavy it would have overpowered the turbo sounds. Friday will probably be my next chance, since tomorrow evening is the lift install

Quote Originally Posted by JeepLab View Post
    Dont change a thing. Stock sport with a turbo is hysterical to me.
    Stock except for a 2" lift...

I think 33" tires would make it even more of a sleeper. They'll fill the wheel wells nicely and "look" slower

That picture is a 2-door jeep with 2" lift and factory 29" tires. I have a 2-door jeep with factory 29" tires, and I'm adding a 2" lift. I'm doomed.

I also have very specific tires and wheels picked out already, and I'm not going to compromise just to get bigger tires sooner. I would always be wishing I would have just waited and saved for what I really want.
    Not sure the specifics..but the oddest things show up on craigslist. Near me is a brand new set of Duratracs. 3 months ago was a barely used set of 37" KM2s. It does take a bunch of work or a well programmed phone app to find them.

Great write-up. Love the description of all the "wooshes" when driving. I too am looking forward to audio - even though its never the same recorded.

Any hot-spots you've noticed after running hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
    Any hot-spots you've noticed after running hard?
    dont test with your hand.