Close

Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Lol...

I have actually confirmed that the turbo blanket is tolerable to the touch immediately after driving. I bet the turbine housing itself is NOT!

I haven't gotten a chance to "run it hard" much yet (waiting for the lift), let alone measure any under-hood temps.

I have an IR temp gun I can use to measure specific items under the hood. This weekend, I will be at an ORV park with some stock 3.6 JKs. I'll bring my temp gun and get some comparison measurements when we stop for lunch.

However... I may end up without a turbo blanket this weekend because I may be sending mine back for an exchange (for cosmetic preferences only; not quality issues). So I might actually get a worst case comparison this weekend without a turbo blanket. I think the best way to compare will be to measure the temp of stock components that are NEAR the turbo components,and a few other places. Forecast is also showing 86*F, so it should be a decent test of under hood heat.

The turbo won't be working hard at the ORV park, but slower off-road driving is where there's the most concern about under-hood heat. All the hot components (turbo, downpipe, wastegate) are conveniently placed right behind the radiator where they should get good airflow when travelling at speed on the roads. I don't expect any problems while street driving at all. The turbo kit also REMOVES two catalytic converters from the engine compartment and places a single high-flow cat down low and behind the engine.

Very interested to see those temps. I agree it woudl be nice to test the same surfaces on two jeeps - stock and turbo - to see how different objects are different temps. Various sensors, plastics, etc., surrounding turbo bits. Good idea.

One more issue solved...

The install involves replacing some coolant lines. Even though the radiator is drained and the hoses are mostly empty, there's stiil coolant in places that will spill out. If you're not ready for it, you lose the coolant to the ground.

I'm low on coolant because of this. So I went to the dealer and asked for coolant for my 2013 Wrangler.

Parts: "The purple stuff, right?"
    Me: "No, it's red"

Parts guy looks up a reference sheet that says all 2013+ should use the purple OAT coolant (not the older orange/red HOAT). They absolutely CANNOT be mixed!
    Looks up my specific VIN, and it shows that it was prepped with OAT coolant. But it's DEFINITELY not purple!

So he sells me the HOAT coolant.

Luckily, I decided to research some more before dumping it in. I found this (Page 4): http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsle...r_Oct_2012.pdf

The OAT from the factory is NOT PURPLE! In fact, it looks almost identical to the "service part" HOAT! WTF CHRYSLER!?!?!

So at least I now know that I can confidently pour the purple OAT into my jeep. Need to go back to the dealer and exchange my coolant.

By this weekend, I will have my lift installed, coolant confidently topped off, and will finally be able to stop stressing/worrying about things. I'll be able to just start enjoying my jeep. There's a couple minor odds and ends to tidy up with the install (perfectionist slight re-routing of wire harnesses, etc), but after the lift and coolant, I think I can finally say I'm essentially done installing

Sorry for not posting install pics/details yet. I've just been too tired and stressed about stuff like the lift and coolant. I think I will realistically get a chance to relax a bit and start writing up details after this weekend. I'll definitely try to at least get a video clip of the sounds in the next few days.
    Last edited by UselessPickles; 06-21-2014 at 11:43 PM.

AEV 2" spacer lift installed:

It actually doesn't look bad. The other picture of a 2" lift and 29" tires must have been a spring lift that gave more than 2" of actual lift:

"2-3 hour install", they said. Started around 7:30 pm and finished around 2:00 am, although there was about an hour lost to a phone call interruption and an unexpected downpour of rain.

Then finally got my first proper test drive with the turbo! It was fun. No more stressing about bumps or braking. There's no chance of unwanted contact at foll suspension compression now.

Now I'm tired and sore all over again. Still need to re-center the steering wheel, get coolant and install my water-resistant pre-filter on my air filter, then I'll be ready to go off road this weekend! Life is good. But my priority right now is to stay awake at work.

I want to say "I told you so" that it wouldn't look bad. But I won't.

Looks great !
    When your feeling better, tell us more about... Well everything about the install and performance.
    Not that we're waiting or anything!

What is taking soooo long? is it in yet?...LOL

pics? engine bay? under the truck? Thoughts?

JL, don't you have one of these? Is it going in soon?

And I'm back to being exhausted again

Busy weekend, including off-roading all day yesterday!

Good news: The turbo did not interfere at all!

Power was never my limitation before (I'm currently limited by traction of the 29" stock tires), so there was really no expectation at all for it to improve my off-road performance. My only hope was that it wouldn't make anything more difficult. I basically never even noticed I had a turbo all day, except for some wastegate noise a few times when I had an opportunity to use some extra throttle going up relatively smooth steep hills. It never abruptly spooled up unexpectedly or otherwise made throttle control difficult.

Here's a sample of what I did:

As you can see, I don't do anything that is very technical, so I can't comment at all on how it would do in trickier situations like rock crawling.

Listen closely and you can hear the wastegate whooshing a bit near the top of the first hill, just before the sound of squealing tires overpowers it.

I was in 4LO all day, using 1st and 2nd gear for all the interesting parts. I generally stay in lower gears to keep the RPMs up in the mid-range (same technique I always used before the turbo). I had no trouble creeping over/up stuff down around 1000 RPM in 1st gear either. And I only stalled once

I never did get a chance to do some side-by-side under-hood temperature comparisons with a stock engine. It was a sunny day, mid/upper 70's, and my temp gauge on the dashboard never budged from the middle. I did quickly check some temps under the hood at one point moments after shutting the engine off, and found nothing scary. Various places ranged from about 170 to 240 degrees. No melting plastic. No glowing red turbo or pipes.

The part of the day where I REALLY noticed benefits of the turbo was during the 170 mile round trip to the ORV park and back. I averaged 25.6 mpg! It was mostly freeway driving in the 70-80 mph range. Before the turbo and lift, I would average somewhere in the 19-21 mpg range for the same trip. Even though I now have to use at least 91 octane, it's an overall savings on fuel. Fuel is about 5% more $/gal compared to 87 octane, but I use about 20% less fuel per mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    What is taking soooo long? is it in yet?...LOL

pics? engine bay? under the truck? Thoughts?
    Life is taking so long I've been busy, and life keeps throwing little surprises at the household lately.

There's a few pics back in this post: http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?13...ull=1#post1818

What about on road action. Second gear ,rpm on 2000, then full throttle till 6500, shift to third till 100 mph. (I wana see that plz).