Close

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    Moving on...

I met with a local performance shop that specializes in turbocharged performance mods and tuning (Subaru STi, Mitsubishi Evos, Supras, etc) to discuss my catch can plans.

They actually said that they have setup several cars similar to Prodigy's catch can kit, but the guy I spoke with personally prefers to keep the PCV system fully functional to maintain vacuum in the crankcase and continuous flow of fresh air through the crankcase while off boost. Basically my feelings exactly.

So they agree with my dual catch can plan, helped me pick out mounting locations for the cans, and accepted the challenge to fabricate custom mounting brackets for me. I've picked out catch cans that I like. They're going to get pricing on other catch can options that would fit. I need to figure out exactly what fittings/adapters I'll need to hook everything up. Once I settle on which cans to use and purchase them, they'll fabricate the brackets for me, and I'll finish the install myself.

The fittings/adapters for catch cans are ridiculously expensive! Like $14-$25 EACH expensive! I really need to search for and consider lower price alternatives, because I'm up to about $90 in fittings/adapters already.

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    Moving on...

I met with a local performance shop that specializes in turbocharged performance mods and tuning (Subaru STi, Mitsubishi Evos, Supras, etc) to discuss my catch can plans.

They actually said that they have setup several cars similar to Prodigy's catch can kit, but the guy I spoke with personally prefers to keep the PCV system fully functional to maintain vacuum in the crankcase and continuous flow of fresh air through the crankcase while off boost. Basically my feelings exactly.

So they agree with my dual catch can plan, helped me pick out mounting locations for the cans, and accepted the challenge to fabricate custom mounting brackets for me. I've picked out catch cans that I like. They're going to get pricing on other catch can options that would fit. I need to figure out exactly what fittings/adapters I'll need to hook everything up. Once I settle on which cans to use and purchase them, they'll fabricate the brackets for me, and I'll finish the install myself.

The fittings/adapters for catch cans are ridiculously expensive! Like $14-$25 EACH expensive! I really need to search for and consider lower price alternatives, because I'm up to about $90 in fittings/adapters already.

Awesome-- I hope it works out for you.
    Last edited by KaiserBill; 05-01-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Just like a how you explained Volumetric Efficiency...

After much internal struggle, I finally ended up ordering Prodigy's oil catch can kit rather than going for a completely custom catch can setup. I just installed it this past weekend. I'll try to post install pics/details soon.

Also in progress is that I will be correcting a problem with my BOV. It turns out that I was mistakenly sent a BOV with the wrong spring. The spring is too soft for the amount of vacuum the Jeep's engine creates at idle. The end result is that the BOV stays open at idle and when cruising at lower speeds (40 mph and lower). Swapping in the correct spring should improve throttle response in low engine load conditions.

For the sake of keeping a running history in this thread of what I've done, I'll mention that I upgraded to the Precision turbo a while back, and just recently added a boost controller.

click for full size

click for full size

you are smart to stick with the turbo manufacturer. If you used another boost controller and the turbo explodes, you know what they'd say.

I always stick with one manufacturer. That way they have no excuse when things go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pznivy View Post
    you are smart to stick with the turbo manufacturer. If you used another boost controller and the turbo explodes, you know what they'd say.

I always stick with one manufacturer. That way they have no excuse when things go wrong.
    I'm using a different boost controller. Prodigy is using the AEM Tru-Boost: http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pro...ype-controller

Prodigy has come up with a better location for the coolant expansion tank in their stage 2 kit. Basically right where the original expansion tank sits. Here's an install video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12LR5t8xxJY

I'll be relocating mine as soon as the weather warms up. The current location of mine is better than Prodigy's original location, but mine blocks the fuse box lid from opening all the way: http://jeeplab.com/showthread.php?13...ull=1#post3638

In other news... Prodigy is developing a series of youtube videos that walk through the entire turbo kit install. They are not yet organized into playlists, but you can find them all here an dwatch them in numeric order: https://www.youtube.com/user/855TurboJeep/videos

I finally recorded some video of the Stage 2 turbo with the Precision upgrade. Enjoy the sounds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TCzCAcfajU

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
    I finally recorded some video of the Stage 2 turbo with the Precision upgrade. Enjoy the sounds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TCzCAcfajU

AWSOME! Is the build over? whats next?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx19 View Post
    Is the build over? whats next?
    I think I'm done messing with the turbo for now. I will probably relocate the coolant reservoir to the new location suggested by Prodigy, but that's a minor/quick project.

I'm finally getting tires this weekend. 33x12.5x15 Duratracs. This should give me a lot more grip and let me use the turbo more on my next trip to the sand dunes. I really hope I can live with the bigger tires and my 3.21 gears until I save up for a re-gear (next priority, with TrueTrac LSD front and rear). And that's the entirety of my dreams for building up my Jeep.